• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's settle this... can PS5 disc-based games be installed without an internet connection?

ToadMan

What did people do on day one if they live in an area without internet?

How the fuck does someone living in an area without internet manage to get a ps5? People can’t get them online or in a store but someone without internet in 2021 just picks one up? Get real.

Try it out for yourself with your Spider-Man disk - enjoy the result. And then forget about this problem. The internet is gonna be there for the rest of human history.

KiteGr

Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate doesn't include the whole game on the PS5 disc. The PS4 version DOES, but the PS5 disc just includes the base game and then has a download code for the Ultimate content.
Thanks for telling me. I was about to buy this one!

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
Why worry about this? Only people who need to care are those that are playing their PS5 on a submarine.
From a collection stand point this takes out completely the value of a game as it will be unplayable when the servers go down. I guess this is more relevant to this type of people.

Blu-ray has a max capacity of 50 gigabytes. If you’re installing a game larger than that, it stands to reason that you wouldn’t be able to play it without the additional content required to download. Games are getting bigger with each generation. This will be the standard soon.
PS5 games are on UHD blu-rays. At least it says that on the case.

How the fuck does someone living in an area without internet manage to get a ps5? People can’t get them online or in a store but someone without internet in 2021 just picks one up? Get real.

Try it out for yourself with your Spider-Man disk - enjoy the result. And then forget about this problem. The internet is gonna be there for the rest of human history.
It's not just about the internet still being there. What happens when that game is no longer supported and you can't update it or install it because it needs to download files from a specific location on Sony's servers? If that's the case, you're out of luck in the future even if you own the game on physical media. I'm talking about game preservation here.

Anyways, by the time that happens, I probably won't care or not even be into gaming anymore, but only time will tell.

Sometimes I like to go back and play my Sega or something and it still works perfectly because all you need is the console and the cartridge and you're good to go. Now, with the age of download everything, it's going to be harder to get those games to work because the files won't exist or the server that hosts the files won't exist. Hopefully there's a way to hack the console and download the game from an archive site when that time comes or something.

Xbox was done dirty back in 2013, 99% of people were always online even back then but Sony’s bullshit propaganda ended them. And I’m saying this as a Sony fan.

sn0man

OP find me a PS5 and I’ll buy some games and test for you:
Dirt5
Little Big Planet whatever
Overcooked

OP find me a PS5 and I’ll buy some games and test for you:
Dirt5
Little Big Planet whatever
Overcooked
I found 3 of them. They're not that hard to get. Got mine the week after release, got my wife's in March from Walmart and got my friend one from GameStop. It takes some effort and persistence but if you try, you can get one too.

Why would you buy an online MP game like COD if you don't have internet?

That's just fucking dumb.
Umm, for the campaign? My buddy hates playing CoD online, but he enjoys the campaign. Why should you need internet access to play the single player story? The entire campaign should be included on the disc and not have to be downloaded.

Andodalf

Banned
Xbox was done dirty back in 2013, 99% of people were always online even back then but Sony’s bullshit propaganda ended them. And I’m saying this as a Sony fan.

If MS had their way things today would be..... Exactly the same! Only we would be able to more easily share digital titles and even sell them.

When I get my disc copy of RE:V, I'm going to disconnect from the internet and install the game and see if I can play it. I'm not sure I believe that the entire game is not on the disc.

ToadMan

It's not just about the internet still being there. What happens when that game is no longer supported and you can't update it or install it because it needs to download files from a specific location on Sony's servers? If that's the case, you're out of luck in the future even if you own the game on physical media. I'm talking about game preservation here.

Anyways, by the time that happens, I probably won't care or not even be into gaming anymore, but only time will tell.

Sometimes I like to go back and play my Sega or something and it still works perfectly because all you need is the console and the cartridge and you're good to go. Now, with the age of download everything, it's going to be harder to get those games to work because the files won't exist or the server that hosts the files won't exist. Hopefully there's a way to hack the console and download the game from an archive site when that time comes or something.

Concern trolling at maximum. Grow up.

Why don’t I just run FF7, or space invaders or pong right now for you?

Concern trolling at maximum. Grow up.

Why don’t I just run FF7, or space invaders or pong right now for you?
It's because I don't like this new age of just throw-away gaming where you have to rely on someone else's server to host the files for you even when you have the actual physical disc and then to play it, you need to log into your account online and hope the servers are still up just to enjoy an old game.

FranXico

If MS had their way things today would be..... Exactly the same! Only we would be able to more easily share digital titles and even sell them.

2 pages. Took longer than usual until the revisionists showed up trying to rewrite history with bullshit propaganda.

Why would they live there?
My friend was told there was cable on his road where he was moving and didn't find out until after they moved in that there was in fact, no lines run out there. The cable company said the only way they would run lines to his house is if he paid $10,000 for them to do it.

He didn't *choose* to live in a place with no internet, he was tricked into thinking there was internet there. He tried satellite internet, but he had to pay boat loads of money just for 20GB of data per month and what they didn't tell him is that it's really only 10GB of data of day-time usage and the other 10GB was reserved only for at night while you're sleeping.

So while it's uncommon to live in such a situation, there are situations where people do not have internet access where they live. Most of the time he had to use his hot spot on his cell phone just to update games or bring his console to work with him so he could install updates there.

SLB1904

Banned
My friend was told there was cable on his road where he was moving and didn't find out until after they moved in that there was in fact, no lines run out there. The cable company said the only way they would run lines to his house is if he paid $10,000 for them to do it.

He didn't *choose* to live in a place with no internet, he was tricked into thinking there was internet there. He tried satellite internet, but he had to pay boat loads of money just for 20GB of data per month and what they didn't tell him is that it's really only 10GB of data of day-time usage and the other 10GB was reserved only for at night while you're sleeping.

So while it's uncommon to live in such a situation, there are situations where people do not have internet access where they live. Most of the time he had to use his hot spot on his cell phone just to update games or bring his console to work with him so he could install updates there.

That's mature. It shouldn't be legal to put only a part of the game on the disc and then require the rest to be downloaded. Remember what happened with Modern Warfare 2019? When the game first came out, the servers were having problems and people on PC (me at the time) couldn't even play the single player portion without connecting to the servers, but people who had the game on console could play it just fine without logging in.

sn0man

I found 3 of them. They're not that hard to get. Got mine the week after release, got my wife's in March from Walmart and got my friend one from GameStop. It takes some effort and persistence but if you try, you can get one too.
PM me. I don’t have the time but can toss some dollars your way.

sn0man

With all accounts being online accounts Microsoft could do that any time they wanted between the launch of the xbone and today.

Andodalf

Banned
With all accounts being online accounts Microsoft could do that any time they wanted between the launch of the xbone and today.

But why would they? As a company how do they at all gain from letting us sell our digital games? That was a concession, a win for consumers to make the digital transition easier.

And we gave it away

sn0man

But why would they? As a company how do they at all gain from letting us sell our digital games? That was a concession, a win for consumers to make the digital transition easier.

And we gave it away
My recollection of the events at the time:

MS said they would do something for physical games as part of having an online check-in every 24-hours. It wasn’t ready to go, they just said that was going to be a part of the plan. They would allow publishers to allow you to trade-in or trade discs. (Note: what a thrilling subordinate permission. Sounds like digital games without the convenience of being digital, with a vague promise of letting publisher’s find the benevolence to allow us to do what we want.)

We said, why have this check in for physical media if we don’t want that?

They could have had offline and online accounts. They could have made it a carrot instead of a stick. A company like Microsoft could have created options for those that wanted discs to be a form of digital instead of physical.

They took their ball and went home. They kept online accounts and one-time online setup.

They regrouped and launched a Netflix of gaming instead. By my observation, the majority of this forum love this and enjoy it. I was a skeptic but gamepass seems like a win for those invested in the Xbox platform.

TL;DR: We didn’t do anything. MS did.

Andodalf

Banned
My recollection of the events at the time:

MS said they would do something for physical games as part of having an online check-in every 24-hours. It wasn’t ready to go, they just said that was going to be a part of the plan. They would allow publishers to allow you to trade-in or trade discs. (Note: what a thrilling subordinate permission. Sounds like digital games without the convenience of being digital, with a vague promise of letting publisher’s find the benevolence to allow us to do what we want.)

We said, why have this check in for physical media if we don’t want that?

They could have had offline and online accounts. They could have made it a carrot instead of a stick. A company like Microsoft could have created options for those that wanted discs to be a form of digital instead of physical.

They took their ball and went home. They kept online accounts and one-time online setup.

They regrouped and launched a Netflix of gaming instead. By my observation, the majority of this forum love this and enjoy it. I was a skeptic but gamepass seems like a win for those invested in the Xbox platform.

TL;DR: We didn’t do anything. MS did.

Why would they give the thing to soften the blow after everyone just took the blow voluntarily?

RaySoft

I think the you haven't even mentioned the worst offenders of these I'm pretty sure black ops needed like 80 + gigs and modern warfare also required ridiculous amount before you can even play the campaign
I don't have the game, but I *think* OP's point was if you _could_ install a game from disc without internet.
The issue that your game downloaded 80 GB of data before you could play, is irrelevant. Ofcourse the game will download updates during install if you actually is connected to the internet. Ask yourself this; Would the game still require that 80GB download if you wasn't connected to the internet at the time of installing the game?

sainraja

Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate doesn't include the whole game on the PS5 disc. The PS4 version DOES, but the PS5 disc just includes the base game and then has a download code for the Ultimate content.
And he's just asking about the base game.

sn0man

Why would they give the thing to soften the blow after everyone just took the blow voluntarily?
Based on their sales numbers last generation many Xbox fans, like myself, took no such blow and went to PC, PS4, and Switch instead, waiting for them to change their mind.

sainraja

It was DMC: Devil May Cry. Now that I'm thinking on it more deeply, I can't remember if it was the PS3 or PS4 version I had trouble with. Either way, it was a real shock at the time.
Network settings > turn on 'offline' mode. You will be able to launch into games that require patches without any issue skipping the update prompt (on the PS4/PS5 you can continue to the game without updating it and same with the PS3 if you hit Circle and say yes to cancel.)

laynelane

Network settings > turn on 'offline' mode. You will be able to launch into games that require patches without any issue skipping the update prompt (on the PS4/PS5 you can continue to the game without updating it and same with the PS3 if you hit Circle and say yes to cancel.)

I wonder if the game really just required an update or if, instead, the majority of the game was simply not on the disc. Are you sure the prompt is in Network settings? I'm checking right now and it isn't on my PS4. If such a thing exists, I'd be great in the event of future issues.

Andodalf

Banned
Based on their sales numbers last generation many Xbox fans, like myself, took no such blow and went to PC, PS4, and Switch instead, waiting for them to change their mind.
What? Numbers show that the majority have gone all digital, and therefore, online . That’s true on PC more than anywhere else

sainraja

I wonder if the game really just required an update or if, instead, the majority of the game was simply not on the disc. Are you sure the prompt is in Network settings? I'm checking right now and it isn't on my PS4. If such a thing exists, I'd be great in the event of future issues.
I didn't recall the label for the option correctly. It's Network Settings > Connect to the Internet (uncheck the box)

Last edited:

sn0man

What? Numbers show that the majority have gone all digital, and therefore, online . That’s true on PC more than anywhere else
Right. I am all digital on PC myself. For consoles I still buy discs. In 2013 most people didn’t like the Xbox version of discs and either went digital or jumped ship to another platform if that was a priority to them.

Honestly, Xbox has it pretty good with gamepass if that is your preference. It’s like Spotify, nobody buys anything when they can just rent access to it.

Zimmy68

Add to that, Sony had the exact same plan and pivoted at the last minute to stab MS in the back.
Whether they knew all along they were going to change is the real story.

I think we would all be better off today if they went through with it.
I'd much prefer a PC model where there is a code in the box and the media, if needed, is there for install purposes.

Top Bottom