• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's suppose the rumors are right and PS5/XSX will indeed sell for more than US$499... say, $599... or more

How the fuck do these companies expect consumers to accept that price? I mean, seriously: PS3 at $499 and $599 back in the day had the 'revolutionary' Blu-ray medium as storage and playback function, but even then, it had a really hard time selling and many changes had to be made hardware wise to make it cheaper as soon as possible and get back the market they lost.

Honestly, these consoles will have SSDs, nice, and 10.2 and 12TFs, and quite honestly, that's not as huge a jump as we were to expect from a generational leap. I think it would be quite acceptable to get them as $499 AT MOST, but more than that, how can they justify it to the greater audience?

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I've got a reasonably powerful gaming PC and literally nothing announced exclusively for these consoles is something I can't live without. If they want their consoles to be a luxury item, then I shall treat them as a luxury, and as such, not really a priority.

Maybe some exclusives I really want will come down the line, but by then the consoles will have dropped in price.

Last edited:
I've got a reasonably powerful gaming PC and literally nothing announced exclusively for these consoles is something I can't live without. If they want their consoles to be a luxury item, then I shall treat them as a luxury, and as such, not really a priority.

Maybe some exclusives I really want will come down the line, but by then the consoles will have dropped in price.
Oh yeah, I forgot to say that, there are beautiful and interesting games shown but nothing mind blowing to be honest. You'd need that to justify a more expensive hardware for sure.

Kuranghi

If the games look ace and "new", I'll buy them even if they're £649. I got my PS3 18 months after release (MGS4 release date) and my PS4 5 years after initial release.

If either one looks amazing I want in on the ground floor this time, but it'll have to look super spiffy to warrant that many pound-o's, which is what I think they will cost.

Thats my limit, its the same as my GPU budget.

beni12

Neo Member
it's impossible, if that was true neither of them would cut stuff like optical audio port or storage capacity.

Last edited:

tillbot8

Banned
It's a very different world from 2006, inflation for one. A month's rent to buy the latest must have phone another. I honestly can't tell the reaction of the public if 600 dollars is the price of a console in today's market? Sure there will be memes and history repeats itself etc etc but would it affect sales in real world terms? Hmmmm I don't know!

BluRayHiDef

Banned
State of the art SSDs, a whopping 16GB of the latest volatile graphics memory standard (GDDR6), desktop APUs with a whopping 8 cores that can process 16 threads @ 3.5Ghz to 3.6Ghz and embedded graphics processors that can run at unconventionally high clocks AND have raytracing and other new tech, and 4K UHD drives. These machines would be bargains at $499 or less, so I can see them being sold for more. However, I personally think that $499 will be the price for the PS5 at most and $549 will be the price at most for the Xbox Series X.

How the fuck do these companies expect consumers to accept that price? I mean, seriously: PS3 at $499 and $599 back in the day had the 'revolutionary' Blu-ray medium as storage and playback function, but even then, it had a really hard time selling and many changes had to be made hardware wise to make it cheaper as soon as possible and get back the market they lost.

Honestly, these consoles will have SSDs, nice, and 10.2 and 12TFs, and quite honestly, that's not as huge a jump as we were to expect from a generational leap. I think it would be quite acceptable to get them as $499 AT MOST, but more than that, how can they justify it to the greater audience?

We don't know the price for starters.

But times move on. I never expected to pay north of $1000 for a smartphone. And don't tell me these $1000 smartphones offer revolutionary game-changing features compared to the $600-700 smartphones that preceded them, cause they don't.

Also, these days technological advancements in semi-conductors is not happening as fast as before, and the costs aren't coming down as fast. Wafer prices are astronomical at the moment for example. If a certain performance uplift wasn't achieved due to costs, then people would be even more disappointed. Its a tight-rope walk. Both Sony and Microsoft must have felt that going for a higher quality product and a slightly higher price is what the market wants, so they've designed their products with that in mind. Its a risk, sure, but you have to take risks in business.

Ultimately, however businesses will always drive to charge as high a price as the market will bear. That's just how it is. If the market can't bear the price, they'll cut it.
Its just business. They don't do it strictly for our pleasure.

Birdo

Banned
The worst part is that all the normie gamers I know (FIFA, COD, Fortnite) all seem content with current gen.

Next gen is going to be a really hard sell. They will just be enthusiast devices.

FlyyGOD

State of the art SSDs, a whopping 16GB of the latest volatile graphics memory standard (GDDR6), desktop APUs with a whopping 8 cores that can process 16 threads @ 3.5Ghz to 3.6Ghz and embedded graphics processors that can run at unconventionally high clocks AND have raytracing and other new tech, and 4K UHD drives. These machines would be bargains at $499 or less, so I can see them being sold for more. However, I personally think that $499 will be the price for the PS5 at most and $549 will be the price at most for the Xbox Series X.
Don't forget rnda2 tech.

In a world where people will drop a grand or more on a smartphone that will last them 2 years, it's for some reason unthinkable that a console should cost more than $499 and will last you 6-8 years.

I'll drop $1000 on my GPU alone.

Demands consoles be cheap and then complain when games don't all look cutting edge with locked 60fps :messenger_expressionless:

Vawn

Banned

Remember $599.99 when PS3 launched in 2006 is equivalent to $771.12 today.

MrS

Banned
Don't like the price? Don't buy the console. It really is that simple. The market will decide if the product is correctly priced.

Last edited:

FrozenFlame

Like it or hate it this is why Game pass will be a huge selling factor for XSS and XSX.

True. Thing is, Microsoft no longer has Halo Infinite for the launch period, which makes me wonder... What are the odds that Microsoft dumped (or will dump) a lot of cash on some third party publisher for them to put their AAA (XBSX) game on game pass at launch?

I think it would be quite acceptable to get them as $499 AT MOST, but more than that, how can they justify it to the greater audience?
It would be perfectly justifiable considering the manufacturing costs, research, retail cut, profit etc.

But no matter. They will be $499 at most and that's that. Kutaragi is long gone and both companies understand that $599 would be a disaster if the other comes in at $499 or lower.

ErRor88

True. Thing is, Microsoft no longer has Halo Infinite for the launch period, which makes me wonder... What are the odds that Microsoft dumped (or will dump) a lot of cash on some third party publisher for them to put their AAA (XBSX) game on game pass at launch?

I can definitely see this happening. IMO, maybe 2 or 3 additional big titles will be announced for XSX Gamepass.

Last edited:

Winter John

Gold Member
I know everyone on the internet is incredibly rich and successful. However in the real world the economy is in the crapper. Millions are unemployed and living hand to mouth. The unemployment relief scheme is about to end which means even more people won't be able to afford basic necesseties. Sony and MS are going to struggle to sell their toys this Xmas if they put a $600 tag on them.

Last edited:

Esppiral

People want top of the line tech in their consoles, yet want to pay the price of a cookie.....

500-700€ for these new consoles considering the tech they have is a fair price, people wastes an average of 1000€ every 1-2 years on a new phone yet find insulting paying half that for a console that will last at least 6 years... Come one people.....

Esca

I hope it isn't 600. I have a 1k savings for next gen and the more the console takes away the less games I can get :(

The Shift

Banned
Like it or hate it this is why Game pass will be a huge selling factor for XSS and XSX.

With Xbox All Access the customer pays no money down on the day of purchase for the XSX and Gamepass Ultimate. MS will likely go all in on pushing customers onto that offer as it locks up the user into ongoing GP subscriptions.

Mr Hyde

599 is my threshold. There are a couple of accessories I want to add in the mix and then some games. We also have some bullshit tax addition for electronic devices so the price will be fucking salty when all things are said and done.

DonF

Phones are setting a dangerous precedent for consoles. $1400 for a tiny piece of plastic...why not pay that much for a big piece of plastic? good thing is that the economy is in the shitter.

THE:MILKMAN

I'll tell you what this is all building up to something amazing good or amazing (worse than PS3 pricing) bad.

I still believe far too many are putting the tech inside these consoles on a way too high a pedestal.

APUs the same or smaller die size as this gen (360mm^2 for the XSX, ~320-350mm^2 for PS5)
7nm process node around the same age/maturity as 28nm was for PS4/Xbox One at ~2 years old (Radeon VII Feb 2019, mobile chips 2018)
PS4/Xbox One had 16 RAM chips versus 8/10 for PS5/XSX
All still have now cheap slot loading BD drives

The SSDs are "new" to consoles but the tech is over 10 years old and I understand the PS5 going the more expensive 12-channel route is countered by being able to use standard low speed 64-layer TLC NAND chips that they'll no doubt get cheap given the quantities they'll need. It should ultimately be similar for Microsoft's too.

I've said all along if these consoles come in >£400 then I'll just wait it out for the price drop on principal alone. I did so for the PS3 and it was a damn good call.

Kazza

The worst part is that all the normie gamers I know (FIFA, COD, Fortnite) all seem content with current gen.

Next gen is going to be a really hard sell. They will just be enthusiast devices.

That's probably why MS are launching the Series S - maybe $299 will be an easier sell for that demographic.

I’ve decided to get the PS5 at launch and maybe an Xbox Series X later. Not even considering the Series S (should it exist).

This is where I stand:
$299- wow cheap!
$399- same as last gen, I’m good with that, great!
$499- what I expect it to cost, so buying
$599- more than I wanted, kind of expensive but I’ll buy I think
$699- too much, going to wait for a price cut (which will come soon since no sales are worse for a new platform than a loss)

I honestly think they want to do $599 and they know it’s too high. I think the best place to be is $499 for the digital edition and $549 for the disc version.

Last edited:
There aren't many games pushing a "must have system seller game" yet. Halo had me hyped as day one for XSX+Infinite+new TV. Now I'm thinking I'll wait and just play on my X1X and mid range PC rig.

quest

Not Banned from OT
599.99 is not much over 7 years still cheaper than my launch day 3do lol. Price does not concern me these are good devices not el-cheapos like last generation and worth paying more.

Blond

Banned
In a world where people will drop a grand or more on a smartphone that will last them 2 years, it's for some reason unthinkable that a console should cost more than $499 and will last you 6-8 years.

I'll drop $1000 on my GPU alone.

Demands consoles be cheap and then complain when games don't all look cutting edge with locked 60fps :messenger_expressionless:

For some people their smart phone is their computer these days so it makes sense. And the reality is you don't ever have to buy any apps or subscriptions minus the monthly service cost which you were paying anyway.

Plus with the amount of trade in deals with these things I really doubt many are paying these prices. My pixel 3 xl 128 was 1,000 at launch but I traded in my first gen pixel and got it free at TMobile.

A console is a long term thing for people.

500 for the console
300 for five years of online play
540 dollars with a 9 game attach rate for the PS4 if we're going for the same for. PS5
70 for at least 1 extra controller for a replacement or a second person

Means that if you buy at launch that's 1400 for a console over it's lifetime, no discounts, no trade ins, possible repairs, etc.

NahaNago

I know everyone on the internet is incredibly rich and successful. However in the real world the economy is in the crapper. Millions are unemployed and living hand to mouth. The unemployment relief scheme is about to end which means even more people won't be able to afford basic necesseties. Sony and MS are going to struggle to sell their toys this Xmas if they put a $600 tag on them.

Iv'e been thinking more and more lately that consoles will eventually be considered a luxury item.

Allforce

I mean, I want the thing to be cheaper but I'm not going to have a conniption over it. I get all my hardware for free mostly through credit card rewards. Not going to change for PS5, I think I have 650 dollars in Amazon Rewards sitting by.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Remember $599.99 when PS3 launched in 2006 is equivalent to $771.12 today.
Inflation doesn't apply evenly to industries/good over time, and in fact, video games has been shown to be extraordinarily inflation-resistant. People need to stop bringing up this argument. Games were today's equivalent of $190 back in the SNES Era -- market determines the price, not an inflation calculator on the Internet. No one is paying $700 for a next-gen console. PERIOD.

Also, the phone argument holds ZERO water. Phones are a necessity in today's society. PS5's are not. I can't run a business from a PS5, I can on a smartphone. Also, and this is important -- Smart Phones are very rarely purchased outright. Most people pay roughly around $30/month of "no interest" payments (even with poor credit), which is a totally different ballgame than asking for $700+Tax+Games+Subscriptions out of pocket DAY ONE in a deep recession that's only going to get deeper.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
$599 would be DOA especially in the covid era. i dont think thats happening though.

$499 is fine. people will be willing to pay $499 for the first year, and after that they can drop the price to $399 for the casuals.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The economy is currently a ruined crater with no end in sight. I think introducing a console this year at any price is madness (unless you did it in March, in a stroke of extraordinary timing), but at $500+, it's just not happening. I will be able to afford it, many times over, but I doubt I will, simply because of the uncertainty and general misery surrounding me. I can keep playing my backlog games and GamePass until things get better.

Abear21

Banned
I buy a console once every 7 years or so and I love bringing it home like a newborn the night of release. I’m willing to pay an extra $100-$200 for that day one experience and don’t mind it.

I just don’t want to wait a year or longer and read all these impressions online wishing I had one too just to save $100 or so.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Inflation is a bitch, especially when you talk about the dollar.

I honestly think $499 will be the actual price. Which would be the equivalent of:

2013 $448 - PS4 price $399
2006 $388 - PS3 price $499/599
2000 $331 - PS2 price $299
1994 $285 - PS1 price $299

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
$599 would be DOA especially in the covid era. i dont think thats happening though.

$499 is fine. people will be willing to pay $499 for the first year, and after that they can drop the price to $399 for the casuals.
Dusk Golem said today on Twitter that he’s been informed the PS5 would be more expensive than the XSX. Digital Foundry also heard of something similar, this is starting to add up to an interesting. Let’s see how this all plays out.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
If both consoles release at a high price in tandem, then they'll probably sell out regardless.

I imagine both supply and preorders will be a huge mess so it would almost make sense to sell them for an absurd price of like $699 because there probably won't be enough to go around as it is. If there are only a few million each available in the US this holiday, then I imagine there are enough people employed with extra cash to spend that will buy them out.

Top Bottom