• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk 4-way fighting games

Is it just me? these are the most fun i ever had..?? what 4-player competitive games do you like?

Now that we have the internet at our disposal, i feel this genre could possibly improve tenfold.

Poy Poy 1 and 2 (AKA Poiters Point) - PS1 KONAMI
Poy_Poy_2.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3Uk0qO60bE

Poy Poy had such charm, me and my friend would play it for hours. With quirky characters, great stages, 100s of "gloves" that do various things to the object you're holding, and hilarious gameplay, you just couldn't go wrong. Poy Poy 2 added more stages which were no longer flat, giving an new layer to the gameplay, more powerups, and improved graphics.
boy would i love to see this released in these days. Could be a great online multiplayer game, and beautiful graphics.

Power Stone 1 and 2 - Dreamcast/arcade CAPCOM
Power_Stone_2_J_Cover.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4VSvbz09f0

IMO one of Dreamcast's best games. Power stone was an amazing 4 player multiplayer fighting game with various dynamic areans, many on screen weapons, in game hazards to bring a new thrill to fighting games. With great characters, each with unique moves and personality, and the whole function of the actual powerstones to transform your character into a SUPER version.
What a game, and i'm surprised there wasn't a 3rd one. What happened to this, capcom?
not even an HD re-release of 1 or 2 on PSN and XBL?

what about you? do you like these games? which is your favourite?

Salex_

urban_reign.jpg

One of my favorite PS2 games. There's a ton of variety in gameplay designs and a good amount of depth in the game. I think a game like this could blow up in the tournament scene, mostly due to the team aspect. It's also entertaining and easy to understand for spectators
mGSKD4393Tcmxqfmr15JASQ.jpg

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mGSKD4393Tcmxqfmr15JASQ.jpg
I loved playing this with friends and from what I remember, the mechanics were surprising pretty good.
Onimusha_Blade_Warriors_cover.jpg

I played a good amount of the Onimusha games and at least 100+ hours of Samurai Warriors, so I was excited to see some of those characters in the game. Bought the game for the characters alone and the game was a blast to play.

Moofers

PowerStone deserves another run for certain. Capcom would probably rather die first though.

I really love PS All-Stars. Very high-quality game that didn't get it's due credit because people were too hung up on comparing it to Smash instead of just taking it for what it was and giving it a shot. I think a lot of the critics didn't bother playing it at all, let alone long enough to understand the intricacies.

I think it's pretty shocking that arena fighters like Power Stone didn't take off more, given how popular games like Smash Bros are. I guess it lacks the star power, but it still has super accessible and super fun gameplay that I think most anyone can appreciate.
Though I suppose having the entries only be on Dreamcast and PSP hasn't done it any favors...

I actually just managed to snag Power Stone 1 and 2 for relatively cheap to go along with my JP copy of Power Stone 1 and the PSP collection, so I'm gonna be sure to bust it out with friends sometime in the near future. I'd love to see the series come back, and think it has the potential to be a hit.

Puru

PowerStone for sure. I'd clearly bite for a good sequel with online multiplayer, or an HD remix could do aswell.

Raide

The PowerStone Jewel mechanic was awesome, as were the additional weapons and shifting stages. What started as a little brawl all went ballistic when someone got the Jewels and powered up. Then the murder started...or the ganging up. :D

Damn I would kill for new PowerStone.

Alx

Kung Fu Chaos (Xbox)
kung_fu_chaos_344173.jpg

Actually I thought the minigames were better than the fighting, but it was still a decent 4-way brawler. Hilarious, too.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Ds-the-blade-of-fate.jpg

These games showed that you could incorporate simultaneous 4P into a "traditional" 2D fighter style and get it to work well. Really wish someone would build upon that template in a non-licensed console game.

I grew up with my friend's Smash Bros.Melee, Pokemon Yellow, Kingdom Hearts, and Madagascar and Cat & the Hat (decent licensed games I liked)

I started off with an excellent resume.

But Smash can never be forgotten. It and Pokemon brought me into gaming.

The most fun one can have with others.

topplehat

A wave of nostalgia just overcame me as I recalled my time renting Poy Poy back in the day.

Nowadays the only worthwhile one seems to be Smash Bros.

outsidah

Great thread. I'll check out Samurai Gunn. Back in the day the AKI wrestling games were the best for this. I would love a new one or if Capcom brought back Slammasters and Powerstone as well.

CR0

Neo Member
Is it just me? these are the most fun i ever had.. Wether it be the simpsons arcade game, turtles arcade game, crash bash..and of course smash bros, etc

I'm not sure I understand your thread OP.

Is it about four player co-op games, four player competitive games, or both? Does there have to be fighting involved?

Aside from wrestling and Smash Bros, I can't think of a lot of four player competitive fighting games.

"Aside from wrestling and Smash Bros, I can't think of a lot of four player competitive fighting games."

Lucky for you, you're posting in a thread where people are listing more.

CR0

Neo Member
"Aside from wrestling and Smash Bros, I can't think of a lot of four player competitive fighting games."

Lucky for you, you're posting in a thread where people are listing more.

That wasn't really my point. Is the OP looking for co-op four player games like Simpsons and TMNT?

That really broadens the category outside of games where you compete against the other players.

"That wasn't really my point. Is the OP looking for co-op four player games like Simpsons and TMNT?"

Considering the rest of the content of his post (poy poy, Powerstone), it doesn't seem like he's talking about co-op, 4 player co-op isn't uncommon.

CR0

Neo Member
"That wasn't really my point. Is the OP looking for co-op four player games like Simpsons and TMNT?"

Considering the rest of the content of his post (poy poy, Powerstone), it doesn't seem like he's talking about co-op, 4 player co-op isn't uncommon.

Yeah, you're probably right. I was just trying to figure out what OP was looking for.

There are lots of classic multiplayer Konami and Capcom sidescrollers out there. I didn't want to list them if OP wanted this to be a competitive multiplayer thread.

23srr.jpg

I still need to pick this one up as it's region free, BTW does it have system link like it's 1vs1 XBLA bretheren?

Also some 2d brawlers like Guardian Heroes & Castle Crashers have an arena mode.

PowerStone deserves another run for certain. Capcom would probably rather die first though.

Well.. can't we change this somehow? surely there's someone from capcom who sometimes comes to this board...

that had 4 player?? i dont remember that.

I think it's pretty shocking that arena fighters like Power Stone didn't take off more, given how popular games like Smash Bros are. I guess it lacks the star power, but it still has super accessible and super fun gameplay that I think most anyone can appreciate.
Though I suppose having the entries only be on Dreamcast and PSP hasn't done it any favors...

I actually just managed to snag Power Stone 1 and 2 for relatively cheap to go along with my JP copy of Power Stone 1 and the PSP collection, so I'm gonna be sure to bust it out with friends sometime in the near future. I'd love to see the series come back, and think it has the potential to be a hit.

you lucky son of a gun!!

PowerStone for sure. I'd clearly bite for a good sequel with online multiplayer, or an HD remix could do aswell.

how amazing would it be?? <3

The PowerStone Jewel mechanic was awesome, as were the additional weapons and shifting stages. What started as a little brawl all went ballistic when someone got the Jewels and powered up. Then the murder started...or the ganging up. :D

Damn I would kill for new PowerStone.

it's so fun when all hell breaks loose when someone gens all the stones.. :D

Let's talk Samurai Gunn.

ltMdimJ.gif

It's incredible.

You are a samurai with only a sword and three bullets to your name.

Then you go and fuck shit up.

To an amazing soundtrack.

the gif sold me.

Sometimes i forget about powerstone, then a thread like this pops up :(

i'm sorry to bring up the death of a loved one (one, being the game) :(

"How would the latency be for this online?"

Gundam is a fairly lenient game, input wise, so even with international connections, it's quite serviceable. I mean you still feel the lag, but due to how the game works it's not as big of a deal.

i'm sorry for the confusion in my original post.
i was just mentioning how fun it was playing with 4 players at once, so i mentioned those co-op games. But that brought me onto the 4-player co-op games.
It's my first topic on gaf, i'm sorry for the low quality. XD
edit: i will edit the original post to make more sense.

It's amazing that the last 8-10 years is supposed to be the golden era for MP games, yet nearly every game listed so far is from the PS2 era, retro in design or hardly played outside of Asia.

Hopefully in the next gen more ppl will get tired of boring old FPS co-op and play more of these type of MP games.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Anarchy_Reigns_box_art.jpg

All day urr day. Too bad the player base died hella fast and there's no local multi.

You can still find a match if you get on at the right time of night. but I imagine in a few months it'll flatline for good.

Imported for close to 100 dollars and don't regret it. Had a blast with the game for like 2-3 months following the japanese launch.

Shame it couldn't have launched world wide. Game is really hard to learn vs people that already know how to play so alot of US players almost all quit as soon as they started

played way too much of this in college

so glad my bros all got DSs

Played alot of this in high school and even over the net with some people.

Would love that kind of multiplayer fighting game to exist now. Maybe Smash will be this for 3DS.

Same with Bleach DS 1 and 2. Although sadly I didn't hop back onboard those games when they were finally localized in english.

Top Bottom