• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about FuRyu (Legend of Legacy, Lost Dimension, Exstetra, Unchained Blades)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I was browsing through an old thread I made 4 years back and I immediately thought of "who's pumping out loads of questionable JRPGs nowadays". FuRyu and Kemco came to my mind.

I'll leave out Kemco (I guess we can discuss it in another topic).

FuRyu, from what I've read, has been pumping out several JRPGs around 2010 onwards and they're being localized. They usually do anime games but lately they've been releasing JRPGs with big names attached. Some games to note that they've developed (and published):

Unchained Blades - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1NdSP6Ghhw - Released for 3DS and PSP in English. Dungeon crawler.
Exstetra - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb-JHG4VF0U - Released for 3DS and Vita. Never localized. Game about kissing and RPG.
Lost Dimension - Published by FuRyu for PSVita and PS3. Localized. Strategy-like game with any of your members becoming a traitor. Features the script writer of Persona 3 and 4 anime.
The Legend of Legacy - Released in English. Features most of the development team who did the SaGa games
Alliance Alive - Upcoming game. Features the scenario writer of Suikoden.
The Caligula Effect - Upcoming English game (released in JP for Vita). Published by FuRyu. Features the scenario writer of Persona 1/2.

I've only heard their name post 2010 when they pumped out more JRPGs and Western publishers pushing them out, namely Unchained Blades.

Despite having "big names" attached to several games, a lot of people found FuRyu's games middling to OK (including myself, but my only exposure is LoL, which was kinda zzzz).

Do you think FuRyu will be this gen's imageepoch? What do you think of their games? At least they're not claiming they're saving JRPGs!

I do hope we get a new Imageepoch, it was truly painful to see them come into their own with Stella Glow and then just pass on.

That being said, FuRyu has a ways to go before they reach the heights the imageepoch eventually managed to do. They're way "off" is how I'd put it. There's some sort of lacking charisma combined with some clunky systems that manage to drag their games down for me which is a shame for games like The Legend of Legacy and Lost Dimension which I really wanted to Like.

desmax

Furyu doesn't just do console games, from what I believe. So I don't they'd be a imageepoch; they'd be more like a low budget Kadokawa in my opinion

They also do mobile games (A bunch being anime tie-ins), figures and stuff

From their website:
Planning, development, manufacturing, and sales of photo sticker machines
Planning and development of mobile services for young women
Planning, development, manufacturing, and sales of amusement prizes
Planning, development, and sales of video games and smart phone games
http://www.furyu.jp/english/company/profile.html

Some Nobody

You made me look up Alliance Alive, OP. I didn't know Murayama was still doing games. Dude hasn't been on any video game projects in ten years and he picks this? They must be offering him a lot of freedom.

Anyhow, usually their RPGs just never stand out to me in any discernible way so I've overlooked FuRyu. Seems like for the most part I'm not missing anything.

SkyOdin

Lost Dimension is a legit good game. It is clearly a small-budget game, but the gameplay is solid and the concept works well in execution.

Top Bottom