• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Let's talk about old mobile gaming (Java, Symbian, BREW)

Drew1440

Nov 12, 2020
This threads remind me I need to start playing some Java games on a couple of old handsets I still own (Samsung E900/ Sony Ericsson W800/ Motorola V547 and a Nokia 6230i)
Also have a Symbian Nokia 6260 which can do both Series60 and J2ME applets.

Don't have any Brew handsets (Europe) but I suspect the Nec e616 runs it but its heavily locked down, the only way to load Java apps on it is to use the UMTS 3G browser, since 3 only intended you to run apps from their platform, games had to be downloaded from there portal.

stranno

Dec 7, 2016
León, Spain

I have recorded a bunch of BREW games on Melange. The BREW "wrapper" for Android. According to /bin/cat, the developer, he has resolved the sound (BREW sound container wasn't documented well enough) and probably the controls (it only supports physical/virtual keyboard). Melange still does not support OpenGL, so forget about Zeebo or Mega Drive 4 for now. But games like Bioshock 3D are software renderer, so there is hope for those being supported in future versions.

Duke Nukem 3D (the last game in the video) seems a simpler version of Duke Nukem 3D for Tapware Zodiac, Battlefields for Zeebo or Duke Nukem DS for Nintendo DS (cancelled). Very boring game.
All 5 Need for Speed games on BREW use exactly the same engine. Only graphics and gameplay change a bit. Underground 2 is also dumped, but it does not work on Melange (probably different engine/developer), surprisingly enough, there's a Windows version of the BREW version, in a very very early stage.
Doom RPG is the best version of the game, by far, Java ME version lacks floor, ceiling and many effects. Doom 2 RPG is probably the same in every platform (iOS, Windows Mobile and BREW), since it probably uses the same software renderer.

Spukc

Jan 24, 2015

even got a psp and ds port.

this is one of my fave old smart phone games.. it's basically an single player mmo.

other worthwhile games are..
doom rpg 1 and 2 .
wolfenstein rpg
imobster
dead space mobile (or whatever it was called)
peggle

Reactions: CamHostage

stranno

Dec 7, 2016
León, Spain
Doom RPG, Doom 2 RPG and Wolfenstein RPG are among the best mobile phones ever donde. Really amazing twist in the Doom formula and perfect games for mobile devices of the mid-00s.

Dead Space Mobile was really ambitious, almost on par with Mass Effect Infiltrator.

I have been playing two interesting games of classic iOS.

Vektrax was the last known game from Nick 'Radivarl' Reed, no other than the developer of the legendary Muniki's Castle, probably the first Java ME 3D game.

Not a great game, but it was fully developed (from design to App Store publication) in just 3.5 weeks. And it was more a showcase of the Bedrock game engine than a proper game, since Metismo (ex-members of IOMO) was an SDK developers studio.

Moon Dancer: The Phantom Thief (aka Grappling Action: Moon Dancer) was, again, the last known game from Gen Suzuki, the designer of Ninja Five-0, one of the best Game Boy Advance games and a perfect mix of Shinobi and Bionic Commando. Grappling hook and balancing physics are very similar to Ninja Five-0, but the game is way less polished. I still enjoyed it and graphics design is pretty cool. My only complain is, as always, the motion controls.

makaveli60

Jan 7, 2018
Doom RPG, Doom 2 RPG and Wolfenstein RPG are among the best mobile phones ever donde. Really amazing twist in the Doom formula and perfect games for mobile devices of the mid-00s.

Dead Space Mobile was really ambitious, almost on par with Mass Effect Infiltrator.

I have been playing two interesting games of classic iOS.

Vektrax was the last known game from Nick 'Radivarl' Reed, no other than the developer of the legendary Muniki's Castle, probably the first Java ME 3D game.

Not a great game, but it was fully developed (from design to App Store publication) in just 3.5 weeks. And it was more a showcase of the Bedrock game engine than a proper game, since Metismo (ex-members of IOMO) was an SDK developers studio.

Moon Dancer: The Phantom Thief (aka Grappling Action: Moon Dancer) was, again, the last known game from Gen Suzuki, the designer of Ninja Five-0, one of the best Game Boy Advance games and a perfect mix of Shinobi and Bionic Commando. Grappling hook and balancing physics are very similar to Ninja Five-0, but the game is way less polished. I still enjoyed it and graphics design is pretty cool. My only complain is, as always, the motion controls.
I know they are generally liked but as a Wolfenstein and Doom fan the turn based combat felt terrible and made me quit them quickly.

stranno

Dec 7, 2016
León, Spain
I know they are generally liked but as a Wolfenstein and Doom fan the turn based combat felt terrible and made me quit them quickly.
It's turn based but quick enough, I'd say. Never felt sluggish or clunky, imo. The first game also had a big amount of lore, unlike any other game in the series. Most dates and events of the Doom's timeline come from here.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: makaveli60

stranno

Dec 7, 2016
León, Spain
/bin/cat has added virtual keyboard and support for Orcs & Elves II (probably more games) to Melange (BREW wrapper for Android).

Last edited:

stranno

Dec 7, 2016
León, Spain

/bin/cat has finally made Bioshock 3D playable. Apparently, it was not an emulator problem, but the memory mapping difference between Android and BREW. He has modded the game itself and it plays fine already. Melange still does not emulate sound (due obscure audio container implementation), but that could be implemented soon™.

The game, well, it's disappointing and surprising at the same time. It had among the best graphics in BREW and control is really modern, similar to OmegaSoft's Call of Duty for N-Gage. But it feels slow, clunky and it's really short, only the first 6 chapters from the original game. More downloadable chapters were intended, but it never happened afaik.

stranno

Dec 7, 2016
León, Spain

Around 1/3 of ExEn games have been preserved. ExEn was a mobile platform by In-Fusio, the popular Java developer, created to compete with Java and other mobile platforms. It had less than 150 games, so it wasn't really popular. It had some weird-exclusive games of well-known licenses, like Worms, Tomb Raider, Terminator or Stars Wars. Including this Spyro for female players.

Noëlle Béronie, product head for Spyro the Dragon at IN-FUSIO, said: "A game designed for girls might be a surprise, given that gaming on mobiles is in its infancy, but nobody has thought about us yet! Spyro is an amusing and modern game, and by no means a soothing one. The hero has to do what he can to help the fairies, otherwise they rebel. They are just like modern women and girls, flirty and not submissive. As for Spyro, he may sometimes spit fire, but he always has to be at the beauties' beck and call!"

Researching in the Gameloft webpage, I also have found the first Java ME games they ever published (source). It happened on 14, March 2002 and they were five games for the Siemens SL45i (101x80) and two games for the Motorola Accompli (240x160). Before that they already did some WAP games (sort of interactive webpages for the prehistoric mobile network), but these were their first works in Java.

Prince of Persia – Harem Adventures.

Summer Volley!

Lock’em up!

Block Breaker.

Incubus.

Atomino (Motorola Accompli).

Those old Siemens phones had B&W graphics, but the display was yellow, pretty much like the Game Boy DMG with the green display. The Siemens SDK provided both themes, B&W and B&Y, in order to improve the design of the game with the yellow display.

Last edited:
Reactions: makaveli60
May 8, 2016
Its hella nostaglic seeing those old phone game artsyles

One of my best game achievements was beating that Nokia phone spaceship game, it was viewed from the side and was pretty creative for the level themes from what I recall

Mar 5, 2020
www.otakugamers.uk
I remember being blown away by the XDA Orbit back in the day when I got one, I still have it but no longer charges :messenger_pensive: There was basic games available but I had a Gameboy emulator installed on it with Pokemon Blue and it ran well enough for me to enjoy. Old school Windows Mobile was surprisingly robust on those mobile PDA's

buenoblue

Jun 18, 2013
I used to have a Nokia n95 with little slide out dpad. I used to run megadeive and SNES emulators on it, lol good times. Also had the goat phone the Xperia play. Still have it but even with a new battery it won't turn on. I still use a controller grip on my phone nowadays to play retro stuff at work on breaks