• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's Talk About PlayStation VR: List of Upcoming Titles

Moobabe

I haven't followed any of the VR stuff at all - but are any of these VR only? Or do they all support it as an option?

Nikodemos

Street Luge sounds like the perfect way to experience Buggy Rollin without the need for decade-log arduous training or the risk of dismemberment and inevitable death.

WITHE1982

Quite an impressive list at this early stage. The Morpheus will need a good amount of compatible launch titles to stand any chance of catching on but Among The Sleep, Eve Valkyrie, No Man's Sky and The Witness have piqued my interest.

I just need to make sure my move controllers and PS4 camera aren't buried under a pile of dust by the time the headset is launched.

Oh and with Summer Lesson the future of such "educational software" looks pretty awesome. In fact I feel a little "educated" just watching the trailer.

Oppo

I played that EVE Valkyrie on VR headset at PAX East. It is the truth.

(Although every time I see it, I think, fuck, there is no reason for those ships to fly that close to each other!! I know why they do that but still.)

If Morpheus gets anywhere close to that fidelity it will be a super good time indeed.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Summer Lesson.

M3LnjEa.gif

Tumble was my favourite Move game (haven't tried the 3D tho) so I hope there's more dexterity-puzzle games like that.

Tumble in 3D with Move controllers was fantastic. Would love that on morpheus - just a simple port.

That's why I put them both in the rumoured section, so people are aware.

With one small line that's easily lost amongst the pictures.

I dunno, I just feel like the more people talk about No Man's Sky supporting Morpheus, the more disappointed people will be when it doesn't, even though Hello Games have never even mentioned Morpheus.

Also, shouldn't OVO be in the Demo/Possible section anyway? It's a tech demo Tarsier came up with, they specifically said it wasn't an official game yet.

Oppo

With one small line that's easily lost amongst the pictures.

I dunno, I just feel like the more people talk about No Man's Sky supporting Morpheus, the more disappointed people will be when it doesn't, even though Hello Games have never even mentioned Morpheus.

Yeah, we know they have the dev kits though, they haven't been shy about that. Some of the earliest, too.

QaaQer

Do we know what the price point for morpheus will be? I am pretty intriqued by the idea but im not sure if it will be for me or not.

No.

I think people should prepare themselves for a $499 - $699 launch price however. Plug and play vr for less than 1k USD (including ps4 cost) is reasonable for new tech. Anyone remember how much early adopters were paying for bluray players?

Oppo

No.

I think people should prepare themselves for a $499 - $699 launch price however. Plug and play vr for less than 1k USD (including ps4 cost) is reasonable for new tech. Anyone remember how much early adopters were paying for bluray players?

What?? No, no way.

Morpheus will cost less than a PS4.

I don't even...

I can't...

When the ships all warp in and all hell breaks loose and then that Death Star mofo appears and starts taking out capital ships...

This was pretty much my reaction too.

By the way, that Death Star mofo is the Avatar. You can see it in this chart. Also if you look at the ships, the smallest ones are frigates and shuttles. In Valkyrie you are flying a ship smaller than them.

Hoo-doo

Banned
No.

It's ridiculous to expect the price to exceed the price of a retail PS4.

I'm thinking 200-299 USD. They have to move a lot of these. VR is a completely clean slate in terms of marketshare and they need to make their mark from day one by grabbing the biggest piece of the pie they can. >500USD is prohibitively expensive.

QaaQer

What?? No, no way.

Morpheus will cost less than a PS4.

Depends on the tech, r&d, IP liscencing fees, demand v supply, etc. Sony won't be subsidizing this any more than they subsidized the ps4. And bringing new tech to market is not cheap.

Facebook willprolly sell theirs at a loss as they have lots of cash and don't have to make money with it. Plus this is zuckerberg's vanity project, so he has an ego investment in its success that transcends mere profit. However you will need a capable PC, which might be in the $1-2000 USD range.

Day one vr won't be cheap.

Handy Fake

I'm thinking 200-299 USD. They have to move a lot of these. VR is a completely clean slate in terms of marketshare and they need to make their mark from day one by grabbing the biggest piece of the pie they can. >500USD is prohibitively expensive.

Bingo. Especially on a closed system. If you get out a well-priced - even at a loss - piece of VR gear into the console market, you're going to be able to cruise for years.

QaaQer

We will see.

I will say that every division of Sony is expected to pull its own weight. So if it is a $200 retail product, the BOM will be <$150, and prolly more like $120. That kind of money doesn't buy a whole lot of vr goodness.

Moreover, who are they competing with in the console vr space?

OneUh8

PS4 is my gaming system and Eve Valkyrie is all I need to know I'm buying Morpheus. Never before has a game trailer had such an effect on me. I literaly was out of breath first time I saw it.

Everything else will be a bonus. A huge bonus.

Also I should add I'm on the team 'VR will change everything'.

That is one hell of a trailer. Give me that, NMS and Elite Dangerous and I am set.

Hoo-doo

Banned
We will see.

I will say that every division of Sony is expected to pull its own weight. So if it is a $200 retail product, the BOM will be <$150, and prolly more like $120. That kind of money doesn't buy a whole lot of vr goodness.

Moreover, who are they competing with in the console vr space?

It isn't about competing in one space. It's about competing for the broad mindshare of 'VR'.

If the Morpheus comes out, and it turns out to be the most user-friendly low-cost route towards good VR, they have a real chance of locking that market down for a good while.

I could see an affordable plug-and-play PS4 with Morpheus gain much, much more traction among the common consumer than the PC-specific headsets that are coming out. That is, if it's actually any good, and if VR actually takes off in any meaningful way. We can only hope.

how will people that typically wear glasses be able to utilize the morpheus? Is it designed to be worn comfortably with glasses? Just was curious to know. I don't wear glasses but I don't think my eyes will be able to take playing morpheus for too long. I would probly have to take frequent breaks as much as possible.

QaaQer

It isn't about competing in one space. It's about competing for the broad mindshare of 'VR'.

If the Morpheus comes out, and it turns out to be the most user-friendly low-cost route towards good VR, they have a real chance of locking that market down for a good while.

I could see an affordable plug-and-play PS4 with Morpheus gain much, much more traction among the common consumer than the PC-specific headsets that are coming out. That is, if it's actually any good, and if VR actually takes off in any meaningful way. We can only hope.

I don't think Sony has any desire to lock down an unprofitable market.

Sony isn't run by a egomaniacal visionary a la Gates or Jobs. Sony's vr is nothing more than a way to play games and watch movies that Sony wants to sell at a profit, or at least not lose money on. Zuckerberg, on the other hand, wants his VR to take over the world. Sony is in it for the money, fb is in it for the power.

I hope I'm wrong, tho. I'd love for Sony to sell me $600 worth of kit for $299.

Im most hyped for Project CARS VR, and also really excited about No Mans Sky.

Regarding price I can't see this launching any higher than $299. Sony needs these to sell since its completely unproven territory.

Sony isn't run by a egomaniacal visionary a la Gates or Jobs. Sony's vr is nothing more than a way to play games and watch movies that Sony wants to sell at a profit, or at least not lose money on. Zuckerberg, on the other hand, wants his VR to take over the world. Sony is in it for the money, fb is in it for the power.

I don't know why you are assuming that it will cost $600 to manufacture.

No.

The Rift is going to be around $300-$400. No way Morpheus comes out at that price. I'd expect somewhere around $300 for it. Maybe less depending.

Stampy

Also, we can be almost sure Media Molecule's next game is Morpheus compatible

Can we? Isn't 60 fps priority for VR? I just don't see that Media Molecule is creating a UGC 60 fps suitable engine.

Although what I can see is that they will have an option for VR in certain modes, like sculpting mode.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wonder if Driveclub will get a patch to be Morpheus compatible.

I really hope so. Evo have experience with 3D with 3D Rift and Apocalypse, so hopefully they'd be able to make the necessary adjustments to get 60fps.

I'd be happy with a limited version too - eg a separate DC VR with a subset of tracks, like Rift 3D was.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Excuse me? The hope is obviously that VR takes off as the 'next big thing', and any company would be hilariously mismanaged if they didn't try and capture a big part that potential booming market. It's business, it's a strategy with possible huge returns.

Releasing an expensive, mediocre product in a space that's potentially going to explode is the last thing they should do. They'd be watching the competition eat them up, regaining that marketshare later is virtually impossible.

I don't know why you are applying nonsensical terms like egomaniacal or 'taking over the world'. Business isn't run like a cartoon and everyone is in it to make money.

Excuse me? The hope is obviously that VR takes off as the 'next big thing', and any company would be hilariously mismanaged if they didn't try and capture a big part that potential booming market. It's business, it's a strategy with possible huge returns.

Releasing an expensive, mediocre product in a space that's potentially going to explode is the last thing they should do. They'd be watching the competition eat them up, regaining that marketshare later is virtually impossible.

I don't know why you are applying nonsensical terms like egomaniacal or 'taking over the world'. Business isn't run like a cartoon and everyone is in it to make money.
Also take into consideration that Sony has stated that they see Morpheus as a platform of its own and thus they will most likely use the money from VR games to offset the initial loss they might incur as they did with PS4.

Link

One method is simply to share what the Morpheus user is seeing. Ranyard claims that, while Morpheus was in the early stages of development, his studio petitioned for a feature that would show on the TV whatever the Morpheus player can see, so that everyone in the room can participate, if only as cheerleaders.

But there are also plans for more inclusive experiences, including asymmetrical multiplayer games, involving one player on the Morpheus and another interacting via a DualShock controller and the TV screen, or a companion app on smartphone/tablet. “For example, we have a version of The Deep where someone has a radar view on their screen and they can speak to the diver,” says Ranyard. “We did another prototype where we put [SCE president] Shuhei Yoshida in a haunted house and you could control the scares on a tablet.We’re even looking at turn-based experiences. We just want to get other people involved, even if you only have one headset.”

Hexa

I don't think Until Dawn is a rumored Morpheus title anymore. I mean, it wouldn't even work in first person anymore as far as I can see.

Also Vanguard V.

Also no idea what this is called, but something like that involving Idolmaster, Dreamclub, and/or Miku will definitely get made.

border

When was No Man's Sky rumored to have VR support?

That game already has hundreds of hopes, promises, and expectations that it has to live up to and a very small team to work on it all. No need to add to that by stoking up completely unsubstantiated speculation.

Hexa

When was No Man's Sky rumored to have VR support?

That game already has hundreds of hopes, promises, and expectations that it has to live up to and a very small team to work on it all. No need to add to that by stoking up completely unsubstantiated speculation.

They tweeted this.

Obviously not confirmation, but enough to put it in the rumors category I would think.

Given how unstable PCars' 60fps is, will Sony allow it to be released for morpheus? Or will they just disable the options(weather, 40cars) that cause it to drop?

I really hope a stable framerate TRC is enforced for morpheus, and not left to the publisher.

Given how unstable PCars' 60fps is, will Sony allow it to be released for morpheus? Or will they just disable the options(weather, 40cars) that cause it to drop?

I really hope a stable framerate TRC is enforced for morpheus, and not left to the publisher.
I'm sure SMS will be smart enough to have a Morpheus mode that strips out special effects and limits how many cars can be on the track.

I don't think Until Dawn is a rumored Morpheus title anymore. I mean, it wouldn't even work in first person anymore as far as I can see.

Also Vanguard V.

Also no idea what this is called, but something like that involving Idolmaster, Dreamclub, and/or Miku will definitely get made.

Thanks, added Vanguard to the OP.

Is the second one a demo?

Dazza

This is a surprising number of games, certainly more than I expected and more than kinect or move ever had

PS4 is my gaming system and Eve Valkyrie is all I need to know I'm buying Morpheus. Never before has a game trailer had such an effect on me. I literaly was out of breath first time I saw it.

Everything else will be a bonus. A huge bonus.

Also I should add I'm on the team 'VR will change everything'.

Oh my God, how am I just hearing of/seeing this?

Morpheus Day One. Hyped as hell.

Top Bottom