• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about Shaving Razors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard Gillette's razors are ridiculously overpriced and of poor quality. What razors would you recommend to someone who doesn't grow much on his chin or above his lips, but wants a clean shave? I have no knowledge on this subject. I don't know when I should replace the blade or what razor I need.

I have heard of the Merkur Long Handled Safety Razor: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NL0T1G/?tag=neogaf0e-20

and the Personna Double Edge Razor Blades:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0077LAJT2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

How's the Dollar shave club?

Ahh, a shaving thread does exist!
This thread seems to be made for you:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=463142

I can't give you a real answer though as I use shitty throwaway razors myself.

VAD

I'm using the Merkur you linked with an assortment of razor blades. I'm currently shaving with the Feather ones. Works great.

Lagamorph

Electric all the way for me.
I've never used a manual razor....I'm just so paranoid I'll end up peeling the skin off of my face....

I can't use a razor without my face breaking out pretty bad. I use a beard trimmer. I haven't had a smooth shave in over 2 years and to be honest, its not worth the week+ of bad skin to see if it still happens.

My brother uses Dollar Shave Club and is pretty happy with it.

DJ_Lae

I've cycled through a handful of different safety razors and prefer my cheap-ass Lord.

It pairs really well with Feather blades...I bought a box of 100 of those, which is probably enough to last until I die.

Pbae

www.dorcousa.com

Been using them for years and haven't looked back.

They're usually repackaged for the big retail drugstores like Walgreens as well as Dollar Shave Club.

Great stuff.

VAD

I don't replace my blades much. I only do it when I want to try another brand from my assortment and when I find them too dirty.

blAAAm

Banned
you dont need anything more then one blade, all these 4 are 5 blade razors are a complete joke. Get yourself a double edge safety razor, it will take a little while to get used to but its much better and way cheaper in the long run.

W1SSY

Got a safety razor two years ago for Christmas and have not even thought about going back to the Gilette 4 or 5 blade razors. Ordered a sample pack of blades when I got it and still have a bunch of them left that should last me for a couple years.

I think in the time using it I have only cut myself two or three times when I was learning and once when I rushed the shave and got careless.

merkur futur
MRK700.jpg

I use a blade sharpener, haven't bought new blades in almost two years, saves me so much money. My facial hair also grows in incredibly fast so having new, sharp blades doesn't really benefit me and in fact just makes it easier to slice myself.

Oh god don't let this turn into a wet shaving circle jerk, what a load of crap.

rtcn63

Just buy a 100-pack of feather blades or something. Use a cheap Edwin Jagger and Proraso shave soap myself.

Sober

I use a blade sharpener, haven't bought new blades in almost two years, saves me so much money. My facial hair also grows in incredibly fast so having new, sharp blades doesn't really benefit me and in fact just makes it easier to slice myself.

Oh god don't let this turn into a wet shaving circle jerk, what a load of crap.
These two things don't make sense, unless you are trying to tell people you try to sharpen multi-blade razors.

OP, Personna's are good, you could also try Astras. Or find a razor blade sampler pack as those also usually get bundled together along with some Feathers as well as Derbys/Lords/Swords, etc. to see what you like.

You all just use 1 Brand New Blade for every Shave, then you throw away the blade after one use?

I thought the blades could handle more uses.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I use Dollar Shave Club's 4-blade razors and I'm very satisfied. I switched from Gillette Mach 3 which gave me an inferior shave.

I use Dollar Shave Club's 4-blade razors and I'm very satisfied. I switched from Gillette Mach 3 which gave me an inferior shave.

Dollar shave club is the best. Razors of the highest quality show up at my door for very cheap. Their shave butter is great too. I'll never go back to anything else.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Dollar shave club is the best. Razors of the highest quality show up at my door for very cheap. Their shave butter is great too. I'll never go back to anything else.

I only tried the shave butter from the sample that came with the initial shipping but it was really great.

GeekyDad

Been using the same Gillette disposable twin blades with aloe strip for probably about 20 years. Never an issue. I get about four or five uses out of each one.

The shave butter from Dollar shave club is amazing, but I wish it was less than $8 for the decent sized tube. After I tried a sample of that, I couldn't go back to shaving cream again, so I started researching online the best things to shave with(cream wise). I already have a couple safety razors and I have tons of dorco, feather, topaz and some other blades. I ended up finding that using regular hair conditioner (a small nickel sized amount) works great. It ended up working so great, that now I can even use that with my electric razor every single day, and get no irritation. No way I could ever do that with shaving cream, or without. I just use the safety razor to get a few stray neck hairs that are hard to get to.

I'm looking for recommendations for shaving cream/gel and aftershave. I get razor burn, and bumps very easily. And I have ingrown hair! HELP!

The cheapest DE razor I have, the Merkur 180 (or 23c), gets the most use. Get this one if you want to try DE -- especially if your skin doesn't agree with cartridges like mine. It's just the easiest to use for daily irritation free close shaves.

Sometimes I'll pull out my slant for mowing down a few days growth, but it's not good for a daily driver. It positions the blade like a guillotine and has crazy blade exposure:
untitled.jpg

Kevyt

What about using a tweezer, OP? I know, it's what the lady's use but honestly it does a better job of removing unwanted hair. Actually, it wouldn't make sense to use one if you just want to trim down your facial hair and not remove it completely. But for me, I prefer tweezers, almost all razors are of bad quality, in my opinion.

mollipen

For anyone using Dollar Shave Club, seriously, just buy straight from the source - dorcousa.com - as was already mentioned. Skip the middle man.

iamblades

The cheapest DE razor I have, the Merkur 180 (or 23c), gets the most use. Get this one if you want to try DE -- especially if your skin doesn't agree with cartridges like mine. It's just the easiest to use for daily irritation free close shaves.

Sometimes I'll pull out my slant for mowing down a few days growth, but it's not good for a daily driver. It positions the blade like a guillotine and has crazy blade exposure:
untitled.jpg

You definitely need to be careful with the slant bar, but it gives the best shave I've ever had outside of a straight razor.

Although using that with feathers early in the morning is a sure recipe for a sliced up face. Sometimes you just gotta live on the edge.

FLAguy954

$T2eC16d,!ykE9s7t)+uhBQ,cyBwy-Q~~60_3.JPG

Zero gapped and ready to go (fuck manual shaving). I obviously aso use it to line myself up every week.

#teamcutyourownhair

noquarter

I tried Shave Mob recently and like it much more than Gillette from three store. Got the $15 6 month deal and looks like that will last at least 6 months with me shaving everyday before work.

Also got a better shave cream. Kind of expensive, but it really does make a difference. Edit: It is Cremo Cream. I shave in the shower and it works great. Don't need but a little bit and just quickly run in hand then on your face. Don't think I could go back to can stuff again.

Before that I just used cheap store brand double blade disposable and those were pretty shit. Don't know why it took me so long to try something better.

HGStormy

Banned
I can't use a razor without my face breaking out pretty bad. I use a beard trimmer. I haven't had a smooth shave in over 2 years and to be honest, its not worth the week+ of bad skin to see if it still happens.

My brother uses Dollar Shave Club and is pretty happy with it.

My face looks like absolute shit every time I shave :c Stopped a while ago. Made my acne way worse.

Help me out

Derby or Personna Double Edge Razor Blades?

Derby ($9.41) - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004SGKMA0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Personna ($12.92) - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0077LAJT2/?tag=neogaf0e-20
I've used a lot of Derbies. They're very mild comparatively. If it's your first time using a safety razor, they're not a bad option, especially if you've got sensitive skin. If you've a particularly thick beard, they might not be sharp enough, though.

Might be worth it to get a sampler pack and try a few options out. None of them are so expensive that you'll break the bank.

I just got the Merkur safety razor and Persona blades.

How do I put the Persona Blade into the Safety Razor?

OHHH, the Safety Blade is unscrewable.

More important question, how do I unscrew the safety razor without cutting myself.

Seems like Grandpa knows how to use it very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom