• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets talk about Sonys First Party Studios and their upcoming Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an Ps4 owner, what makes me really excited about the next gen, is what the first party studios are working on.

So i collected all infos, rumours and datas to discuss it here. Most of them are rumours, so take them with a grain of salt.

e5cb83-1422212764.png
3b0480-1422213079.png
d9983c-1422294634.png

Studio: Naughty Dog
History: Crash Bandicoot, Jak & Daxter, Uncharted, The Last of Us

Playstation 4 Projects:
Confirmed: Uncharted 4 - Release 2015

Rumour: With the huge success of the Last of Us, a sequel is for many people as good as certain. Creative Director Neil Druckman expressed his interest for a sequel in 2014 and said there is a 50/50 Chance. Also at December 2014 a Linkedin Profile appeared on the internet, where former Naughty Dog Artist Micheal Knowland revelead, that he was working on the last of us 2!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=956725
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Last-Us-2-Discussed-By-Neil-Druckmann-Sam-Raimi-66429.html

Studio: Sony Santa Monica
History: Kinetica, God of War, many Collaborations

Playstation 4 Projects:
Confirmed: God of War.
On the PSX Event Cory Barlog accidently revelead that SSM is working on another God of War Game.
Barlog rejoined Santa Monica on August 2013 - where he started to create a team for his project.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/08/09/cory-barlog-returns-to-sony-santa-monica-studio/

Studio: Polyphony Digital
History: Motor toon, Omega Boost, Gran Turismo

Playstation 4 Projects
Confirmed: Gran Turismo 7
Shortly after GT6 Yamauichi announced, that PD is already working on Gran Turismo 7. According to Yamauchi the game should come out between 2015 - 2016
http://gamerant.com/gran-turismo-7-ps4-release-date-driveclub-issues/

d8c434-1422216916.png
248597-1422217022.png
31103b-1422294579.png

Studio: Guerilla Games
History: Shelshock Nam 67, Killzone
Ps4 History: Killzone Shadow Fall (2013)

Playstation 4 Projects
Confirmed:

Rumour: Horizon
- GG said in an interview in 2013, that they are working on a new ip next to killzone.
- GG working since 2010 on that new IP (after Killzone 3)
- in 2013 Shinobi said GG is working on a RPG Game with Robodinos and a redhaired protagonist
- in 2014 artworks leaked, that are allegedly from this new RPG
- Shinobi602 gave some more infos (Third Person, huge world, many tribes, big landscapes, single player friendly, co-op, possible 2016 release)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/30/guerilla-games-new-ip-completely-different-from-killzone
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=895571 (just search for Shinobi602 posts in this thread)

Studio: Sucker Punch
History: Rocket, Sly Cooper, Infamous
Ps4 History: Infamous Second Son (2014)

Playstation 4 Projects
Confirmed:

Rumour: According to career Adds, Sucker Punch is working on a new Open World Game which will use physically based lighting
http://gamingbolt.com/sucker-punchs-new-ps4-game-will-use-physically-based-lighting

Studio: Guerilla Cambridge (previously SCE Cambridge - now sister Studio of Guerilla Games)
History: MediEvil, Killzone Mercenary, Primal, Ghosthunter, LBP PSP, 24: The Game

Playstation 4 Projects
Confirmed:

Rumour:
-GG Cambridge is working on an unnancouned Ps4 Project independent from Guerilla Games.
- According to job offers, they are working on a high profile multimillion selling franchise
After delivering with KZ:Mercenary. could they possibly take over the Killzone Franchise?

344184-1422224022.png
a26cdf-1422224032.png
9a8140-1422294920.png

Studio: Sony Bend
History: Syphon Filter, Uncharted Golden Abyss

Playstation 4 Projects:
Confirmed:

Rumour: According to Shinobi602 Sony Bend is working on Open World Horror Game
According to Sony Bend Dev Reese, their project will blow people away

Studio: Sony San Diego
History: Modnation Racers, NBA, High Velocity, MLB
Ps4 History: MLB: The Show 2014

Playstation 4 Projects:
Confirmed: MLB The Show: 15 - Release 2015
Kill Strain - Release 2015

Rumour:

Studio: Media Molecule
History: Little Big Planet, Tearaway

Playstation 4 Projects
Confirmed: Tearaway Unfolded - Release 2015

Rumour: Since Little Big Planet 2 (2010) Medie Molecule is working on a new IP for the Ps4.
http://www.junkiemonkeys.com/unnann...development-since-the-littlebigplanet-2-days/
in February 2013 they showed a techdemo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYY-J3ckeSI

7ef199-1422225243.png
0c734f-1422294613.png
82cb8f-1422294623.png

Studio: Evolution Studios
History: Motorstorm, WRC
Ps4 History: Driveclub (2014)

Playstation 4 Projects
Confirmed

Rumour: ?

Studio: Sony Japan
History: ICO, Shadow of the Collosus, Ape Escape, Rain, Patapon, Gravity Rush, Loco Roco
Ps4 History: Knack

Playstation 4 Projects:
Confirmed: The Last Guardian (Release: Keep Dreaming)

Rumours:
-Sony Japan is the biggest Studio of the WWS, so therefore they are working on several projects.
- In 2013 Allan Becker (former head of santa monica) became the new head of Sony japan, who wants to turn this studio into a big succesfull one
- Here is an interestinv Interview about his aims and the chaos that took place at sony japan
- According to Verendus Sony Japan is working on a big budget Japano RPG that could compete with Final Fantasy. Verendus said, its a very risky project and Sony Japans last attemtpt, to try something like this.
- Could Gravity Rush 2 come to Ps4 instead of the Vita? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=144383656&postcount=1

Studio: Sony London
History: This is football, Singstar, Getaway, Eye Toy, PS Home,
Ps4 History: Singstar

Playstation 4 Projects:
Confirmed:

Rumour: According to an Advert, Sony London was hiring an vehicle & Environment Artist for their Ps4 Project
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=770390
Could it be the Return of Getaway?

d13404-1423272068.png
405606-1423272082.png
f7c9f6-1431958735.jpg

Studio: Pixelopus
History: newly formed Studio from SCE
Ps4 History: Entwined (2014)

Playstation 4 Projects
Confirmed

Rumour:

Studio: XDev Studios
History: helping out other Studios to bring Games on Playstation platforms (Publish, Marketing, Development)
Ps4 History: Resogun

Future Games: Rime, Until Dawn, Tearaway Unfolded, Shadow of the Beast,

Studio: North West Studio
History: New Studio formed by Sony to develop Morpheus Games

Playstation 4 Projects:
Confirmed: Morpheus Game(s)

Second Party Studios/Sony Collaboration

30fb46-1422474530.png
a8a355-1422475621.png
ea7983-1422475627.png
a3e690-1422475660.png
b69141-1422475672.png
47332e-1422475634.png
cc7486-1422475750.png
4ff63b-1422475739.png
6e09b8-1422475776.png
c519cf-1422475759.png
7694bc-1422475885.png
73bb72-1422475937.png
ae5296-1422475928.png
07afaa-1422475919.png
40b04e-1422480037.png
05ad6e-1422480045.png

Studio: Ready at Dawn | Game: The Order 1886 | Release: 2015
Studio: Quantic Dream | Game: ??? | Release:
Studio: Supermassive Games | Game: Until Dawn | Release: 2015
Studio: Fun Bits Interactive | Game: Fat Princess Adventure | Release: 2015
Studio: Clap Hanz | Game: Everybodys Gold/Hot Shots Golf | Release: 2015
Studio: The Chinese Room | Game: Everybodys gone to the Rapture | Release:
Studio: Wild Sheep Studios | Game: WILD | Release:
Studio: Tequila Works | Game: Rime | Release: 2015
Studio: Funomena | Game: Wattam | Release:
Studio: Housemarque | Game: Alienation, Superstardust Ultra| Release: 2015
Studio: The Bartlet Jones Supernatural D.A | Game: Drawn to Death| Release: 2015
Studio: Q-Games | Game: The Tomorrow Children | Release: 2015
Studio: Arrowhead Studios| Game: Helldivers| Release: 2015
Studio: Giant Sparrow| Game: What Remains of Edith Finch| Release:
Studio: Fromsoftware | Game: Bloodborne | Release: 2015
Studio: Capcom | Game: Deep Down | Release:

Shabad

Quantic Dream is not a Sony First Party. Maybe put them with XDev along side their other collaborations ?
Japan Studios should get credits for Deep Down, Bloodborne, The Tomorrow Children, ...
Same with Santa Monica Studios's collaborations (Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, The Order, ...)

Great first post though ^^

London Studio vehicle artist adverts are probably for that luge game they were creating for VR. Doubt it's anything else.

EDIT: Also the link to Shinobi's post regarding Bends horror game directs to the London Studio PNG.

Pretty great one OP, It'd be great to keep it updated with any new information.

Anyway I really wonder how Sony Santa Monica is going to deal with God of War story, as much as I'm excited about a new GOW, I hope they be careful to not mess it up, especially after Ascension which sucked in my opinion.

I never was interested in Guerilla Games new game Horizon until I read what you quoted of Shinobi, I'm down for more Third Person Open World games, also Sony Bend's new project is something to keep an eye on.

Quantic Dream isn't first party, they've just got a really close relationship with Sony. You should also talk about their external development projects, like what SSM, ExDex, and Sony Japan do.

Great OP!

Great OP.

My expectation might be to high but I expect from Sony WWS (including games only publiqhed by Sony) at least the same amount of retail and downloadable games as this year every year. There's just to big to expect anything less imo.

So hard for me to get excited for anything besides Japan Studio and Media Molecule. The other studios might have amazing production values but they lack a lot of creativity imo.

Still waiting for an update on this mofo...

*bandwidth chugging gifs*

Week after next I expect.

And as another sidenote, I cannot WAIT to see what SuckerPunch's next title is. I am so excited for more from them. Second Son was amazing for an early generation title, there is so much more they can do.

That's well informed. But I'd fix one thing in that.

Guerrilla announced they were working on a new IP back in 2010, not 2013. It's been known for five years. Announced at that year's GDC Europe when Killzone 3 was still in the works.

But otherwise, nice OP.

Polyphony Digital need to throw everything at this game. They have no excuses with the hardware. GT7 needs to be the ultimate driving experience and they should use Evo to help them achieve that if needs be.

Zukkoyaki

Many of Sony's studios have been quiet for years. I imagine we're due to find out what most of them are working on at some point this year which is quite the exciting prospect considering they've been responsible for some of my favorite games.

I'm most interested in seeing Guerrilla's dino RPG and whatever Bend has up their sleeve. Bend in particular because they seem to be Sony's most mysterious studio for lack of a better description. They don't really have a franchise to call their own or a certain style of game they focus on (lots of variety in third person action) meaning their PS4 game could be almost anything. Plus the rumors from Shinobi about it being an intense survival game with horror elements intrigue me. He has also hinted that it's on track for this fall...

As for the rest of their unannounced line-up, my predictions:
- I believe that Sucker Punch is working on a proper Infamous 3
- Santa Monica is doing a God of War reboot/shake-up with a different setting
- Evolution is returning to an older Sony racing franchise (hopefully Wipeout)
- Media Molecule is cooking up an ambitious play, create, share title that will support the PS Eye and Morpheus
- London is developing launch titles for Morpheus
- Guerilla Cambridge is developing a new Killzone for PS4
- Polyphony is doing Gran Turismo along with a second smaller project (just a wild guess)
- Sony Japan is finishing The Last Guardian and collaborating on an internal JRPG.

That's well informed. But I'd fix one thing in that.

Guerrilla announced they were working on a new IP back in 2010, not 2013. It's been known for five years. Announced at that year's GDC Europe when Killzone 3 was still in the works.

But otherwise, nice OP.
Ah really? ok then i should fix it

You should also include Guerrilla Cambridge in this.

Hmm totally forgot them? Should i include them as a seperate studio or as a part of Guerilla Games

Luke_Wal

Man, I really hope we see at least one new AAA IP announced at E3 that hits this fall... I was really hoping it would be Guerrilla's game, but apparently that's 2016. Sony Bend, I'm placing my trust in you!

Interesting post. You should correct your post about Sucker Punch. That's physically placed lighting not lightning. It sounded like they were working on another inFamous. I hope Naughty Dog keeps with the tradition and give us a new series for the generation. I'm tired of seeing God of War games.

I'm really interested to see where Media Molecule goes. Aren't you missing the studio who made the Arc the Lad games?

Tenebrous

I'm excited to see what Santa Monica do with God of War, but after 3, I don't really fancy spending any more time with Kratos... But what a brilliant trilogy of games!

What I highly anticipate is seeing the first proper next gen game From Japan Studio (I hope it's not GR2 that should be on Vita) and London Studio. I don't know when was the last time London Studio made a core aaa game on consoles or even handheld.

Rymuth

There have been many hints, rumors and whispers about a 1st party JRPG from Sony. Aside from everything's been mentioned, -That- game is my top priority.

Seriously, I'm on pins and needles. What's it called? When is it coming out? What's the story like? The battle system?

Why was I born to suffer? :(

Hmm totally forgot them? Should i include them as a seperate studio or as a part of Guerilla Games

It's kind of a wait and see thing at the moment, whether they continue to operate entirely independently or are used to help co-produce titles with the Amsterdam office.

Also, did you see my edit above? The Shinobi reference on Bend Studio's horror game, links to the wrong thing.

Awesome job compiling everything.

There have been many hints, rumors and whispers about a 1st party JRPG from Sony. Aside from everything's been mentioned, -That- game is my top priority.

Seriously, I'm on pins and needles. What's it called? When is it coming out? What's the story like? The battle system?

Why was I born to suffer? :(
The only right answer is that it must be Legend of Dragoon reboot. Get Dart beasting on everyone again with dragon summons stay in the fight. Ahhhhh, so good.

Could the Sony Japan studio rpg game be freedom wars? I know the game is a collabration between few studios but could freedom wars been the game that guy talked about?

Great job OP!

Only changes I would make is the mentioning of a new IP early in the works at Naughty Dog, and that Guerilla Cambridge is supposedly making another FPS (most likely Killzone, but don't remember the source).

I want their Japanese output to get its act together, the pacing of their output has just gone to shit.

Where is SIREN? Where is Gravity Daze 2? Where is Tokyo Jungle 2? And of course TLG.

Tokyo Jungle 2 makes so much sense to me, but it seems Japan disagrees.

Gray Matter

At the moment, all I'm overly excited for is uncharted 4, every other is exclusive is not day 1. That's not to say that I don't plan on playing them.

It's kind of a wait and see thing at the moment, whether they continue to operate entirely independently or are used to help co-produce titles with the Amsterdam office.

Also, did you see my edit above? The Shinobi reference on Bend Studio's horror game, links to the wrong thing.

Ah my bad will fix that.

Trago

I'm super excited for GG's new game, judging by those leaked artworks, it's gonna look kick ass in game.

I also wanna know what Sony Bend is doing.

They seem to be working on a new and separate project form the main Guerrilla studio: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=852856

Likely a new Killzone, though it could be a different established ip.

Percy

Banned
Three biggest studios all taking the safe (Predictable) routes on upcoming titles it seems. I'm excited at the thought of Uncharted 4 admittedly, but Santa Monica and Polyphony aren't really going to be of much use to me for a while it seems :/

Good to see so many new IPs coming from several of the others seemingly though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom