• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets talk about Sonys First Party Studios and their upcoming Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is basically the year next-gen starts. I expect to see seldom cross gen games, titles even more impressive than The Order graphically, and the beginnings of what Mark Cerny spoke about in regards to PS4. Don't know about actual releases, but I think Yoshida should show everything over 60% done to confirm PS4 as the market leader for the generation. Definitely should be a continuation of momentum year for Sony and they can't really afford a slow year of first party releases again. 2015-2016 should be a continuation of build-up for PS4.

Most anticipated games from Sony

Infamous Sequel

really think this is a rare case where bigger/better is all that's really needed to make this an amazing franchise. Variety of missions, more powers, interesting story, and greater variety of enemies and locations. I think the only design flaw here is not having multiple characters for morality choices. The "Paths" should just be specific to certain characters so there development can be fleshed out. It doesn't have to be "like" two games in one, just make it two games in one by hiring another actor.

BloodBorne

not much to say here, got a bit burned out by how much time it takes to really do everything in these games. Haven't played a Souls game in a while, looking forward to this one and feel it's truly going to be the best one yet. a bit turned off by the excessive gore though, i hope there's an option to tone it down.

Rime

Just beautiful game. No track record to go on here, but I can't see this being a disappointment. Each level represents a stage of grief? Puzzles, beautiful graphics. At first glance I thought it was a spiritual successor to Ico, but it looks to be much more than that. Because combat isn't a focus, I'm eager to find out about the mining elements and the role day/night cycles play in the game. Absolutely a perfect example of why PS is always my first platform, variety is the spice of life.

Uncharted 4
After TLOU, I think this is going to be the best in the series. And, most importantly, Drake looks to finally get a bunch of great new gameplay mechanics. I predict from a gameplay standpoint, this will be the finest Uncharted, and will age a lot better than the older titles.

TLOU Movie

Not really a game, but looking very much forward to seeing what themes the movie creates and emotions it evokes. I have no idea what to expect, could be truly amazing, mediocre, or just bad. Girl from Games of Thrones is playing Ellie I think. Likely not a 15' release, but we might get a sneak peak this year.

Level 5 RPG

Absolutely starving for a beautiful Japanese epic adventure, and what better console to take advantage of than PS4? Can't wait. A sequel to NiNoKuNi with older characters and a fleshed out battle system? A return to Dark Cloud? A new IP with that signature level 5 Cel-shaded look? Doesn't matter what path they take, we're overdue for some JRPG's on PS4.

The Witcher 3

Although I'm itching more for a JRPG, I can't say this title doesn't get my early GOTY vote. It looks like everything DA:I does, but with more polish, a more intricate story, beautiful graphics, and hopefully minus all the bugs. I'm 80+hrs into DA:I, W3 hopefully consumes me just as easily.

The Last Guardian

Still waiting, but can't say I'm not still exciting for it, yup, even a decade later lol. I can't fathom it disappointing in the slightest. The simple, artistic, stye of the games IMO meshes favorable with the long-development process and rehashes the title has obviously went through. I see TLG (like Ico/Sotc) as a painting, and you simply never want to release it until it's absolutely perfect. Maybe, design wise, they just couldn't get it perfect on PS3. I don't think the title being re-developed will have any negative impact on it, it's just a story, told through simple mechanics, music, and minimalistic thematic gameplay. I will never stop believing.

wishful thinking titles.
GT
Valkyria Chronicles
God of War (Kratos as a kid)
MM makes Sony's Mario
GG make an amazing RPG

I love VC but it already had a good number of titles, even a (sad) card game and now a PC port. Also, it's not that appealing for west players.
If I were in charge and I had to pay for something, I'd go with this:

tumblr_n25htz4dzn1rrg44xo3_500.jpg

Realistically, it's going to be nothing special, I bet on it.

If SCEJ is doing a collab I'm guessing its going to be something notable.

I hope its with the Sakura Wars/Valkyria Chronicles/ Skies of Arcadia team.

Also, the thing people are really missing, is every year they end up announcing partnerships we have no clue about. They're my favourites.

I love the surprises.

Here's two questions. Is Sony holding a February event this year? Are they also holding a PSX event? If they hold both, I can see them announcing 5 big IPs at each of the big events (or 4 with a lot of Japanese games at TGS like last year and FFXV being a highlight)

Cant see that happening. Other then a brief mention from Kaz about it being in development and he is mostly completely useless at decent release windows, monitoring other games or giving a stuff about player wishes.

2017 for GT7

yamauchi talked about a 2015-2016 release

By that I mean it’s going to be a game that matches the very era that we live in, in 2015 or 2016.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/13/gran-turismo-7-planned-for-2015-or-2016

Here's two questions. Is Sony holding a February event this year? Are they also holding a PSX event? If they hold both, I can see them announcing 5 big IPs at each of the big events (or 4 with a lot of Japanese games at TGS like last year and FFXV being a highlight)

yes there will be february event

http://www.gamepur.com/news/17814-n...announce-new-playstation-initiative-ps4s.html

delSai

PSX is annual. I think there's a Feb. Event but i doubt thats for Games.
Also the God of War Event in March.

So... let's look at PS4 (some are also on PS3/Vita) exclusives in 2015:

Sony retail:

• The Order 1886 ---> February
  • BloodBorne ---> March
  • MLB15 ---> March (US)
  • Until Dawn ---> Summer (and was already pushed back from early 2015)
  • Everybodys Golf ---> ?
  • Heavy Rain and Beyond Remastered ---> ? Not announced but considering the PS4 trophy list for Beyond already showed up last year it might already be semi-ready and they just want to pick a good empty slot like with TLoU Remaster.
  • Ratchet and Clank ---> ? This is the "re-imagination" of the first game based on the movie right? Apparently that movie is supposed to come out with the first half of this year so the game won't be far behind
  • Tearaway Unfolded ---> ? Summer? I would guessva release between BB and UD. Didn't look like it needs a lot of time still
  • Uncharted 4 ---> ? Likely end of the year/ideally early holiday season before CoD etc. releases

So that's 9 games, of which possibly all but Uncharted might release in the first half this year. That's a lot of suspiciously empty months and IMO they will announce some more games on short notice like they did with LBP3.
Let me be disappointed because I think it will be TLG, releasing this holiday season :p

Third party exclusive retail releases (but Sony isn't really involved in most of them):

• Sengoku Musou 4-II ---> February (Japan)
  • God Eater 2: Rage Burst ---> February (Asia)
  • Disgaea 5 ---> March (Japan)
  • Yakuza 0 ---> March (Japan)
  • Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory II ---> April (Japan)
  • Ultra Street Fighter IV ---> Spring
  • Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster ---> Between April and June
  • Godzilla: The Game ---> July
  • Inferno Climber (is that even retail?) ---> Before holiday (Japan)
  • Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force ---> ?
  • Persona 5 ---> ?
  • Untitled Mobile Suit Gundam game ---> ?

I'm not up to speed about Tekken 7, no PC and there's still no announcement for XB1? I doubt it will be PS4 only though.

Then there's these exclusive (including Sony's own/ second party) PSN games set to be sprinkled over the year:

• A couple of games exclusive to China ---> January
  • Dragon Quest Heroes --> February (Japan)
  • Spelunker Z (F2P) ---> March (Japan)
  • Journey ---> Soon I guess?
  • Ready to Run ---> July-September
  • Rocketbirds 2: Evolution ---> Fall
  • ABZU ---> ?
  • Alienation ---> ?
  • Axiom Verge ---> ?
  • Basement Brawl ---> ?
  • BigFest (F2P) ---> ?
  • Deep Down (F2P) ---> ?
  • Everybody's Gone to the Rapture ---> ?
  • Fat Princess Adventure ---> ?
  • Guns Up! (F2P) ---> ?
  • Helldivers ---> ?
  • Kill Strain (F2P) ---> ?
  • Kodoku ---> ?
  • Let It Die (F2P) ---> ?
  • N++ ---> ?
  • Pavilion ---> ?
  • Rime ---> ?
  • Super Exploding Zoo ---> ?
  • The Tomorrow Children ---> ?
  • Untitled Ys game ---> ?
  • VizionEck ---> ?
  • Wattam ---> ?
  • Drawn to Death (Is that confirmed for 2015?)
  • WiLD (not sure if that will make 2015, and that's PSN not retail right?)

Some of the PS4-only ones are pretty high profile so maybe Sony will use those to fill up the year.

Releases first on PS4 (and after that possibly only on PC) and therefore gets a marketing push:
  • Broforce ---> ?
  • Hellblade ---> ?
  • No Man's Sky ---> ?
  • Not A Hero ---> ?
  • Salt and Sanctuary (is that timed?)
  • The Witness ---> ?

Then a ton of games that apparently only come to PS4&PC (but that depends on MS, I guess..), again, listed because Sony will probably pimp them:

• Ironclad Tactics ---> January
  • Grim Fandango ---> January
  • Apotheon ---> February (and is PS+)
  • Paperbound ---> February
  • Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number ---> February/March
  • The Talos Principle ---> February/March
  • Wander ---> March
  • One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 ---> March (JP)/Summer (rest)
  • To Leave ---> Spring
  • Toren ---> Spring
  • Aaru’s Awakening ---> ?
  • Armikrog ---> ?
  • Bombshell ---> ?
  • Collectems ---> ?
  • Dragon Fin Soup ---> ?
  • Dragon's Dogma Online (F2P) ---> ?
  • Drifter ---> ?
  • Dungeon Defenders 2 (F2P) ---> ?
  • Ether One ---> ?
  • EverQuest Next (F2P) ---> ?
  • Galak-Z: The Dimensional ---> ?
  • Guns of Icarus Online ---> ?
  • Hand of Fate ---> ?
  • H-Hour: World's Elite ---> ?
  • Jamestown Plus ---> ?
  • Kingdom Under Fire II (F2P) ---> ?
  • Kyn ---> ?
  • Magicka 2 ---> ?
  • OlliOlli 2: Welcome to Olliwood ---> ?
  • Orcs Must Die! Unchained (F2P) ---> ?
  • PlanetSide 2 (F2P) ---> ?
  • Project Phoenix ---> ?
  • Ray's the Dead ---> ?
  • Rocket League ---> ?
  • Samurai Gunn (still coming?)
  • Savant Ascent (still coming?)
  • SNOW (F2P) ---> ?
  • SOMA ---> ?
  • Starbound ---> ?
  • Street Fighter V ---> ?
  • The Banner Saga ---> ?
  • The Forest ---> ?
  • The Vanishing of Ethan Carter ---> ?
  • Titan Souls ---> ?
  • Toren ---> ?
  • Touhou Project dōjin games ---> ?
  • Volume ---> ?

(some info might be outdated by now)

Maybe some of these also join the 2015 fun?
  • Gran Turismo 7
  • H1Z1 (F2P)
  • Hunger
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven
  • Primal Carnage: Genesis ("on hold")
  • Shadow of the Beast
  • The Last Guardian

As I said, the end of 2015 looks suspiciously barren right now. Morpheus won't release this year, or?
Otherwise I guess we could still get one big unknown project from Studio Japan, Studio San Diego etc. for the end of this year.

UC3 sold at least 6 million and the IP looks like it was growing .
UC4 will sell better and the 3 major factors for that is PS4 selling better , ND name becoming bigger and the IP was getting bigger .
Your saying ND can achieve success without the need of a franchises name which is true but if you think that having the makers of UC did not help TLOU sales you would be crazy .
Also not that ND betting the studio on UC4 but a game selling 6 million can easily carry a staff of 200@ 3 years dev time even more so since they first party.

I do doubt that slapping on "From the makers of Uncharted" did anything to help TLOU, the game was very much a perfect storm. It was an awesome game and had a huge amount of advertising, Naughty Dog have gained that kind of respect from Sony in terms of advertising.

As with everything, it's all a catch 22 kind of situation. Naughty Dog, Santa Monica and Polyphony Digital will always get the biggest marketing blitz Sony can muster and would like the likes of ND taking more advantage of that, unfortunately Stig fucked up with SSM. I wish Sucker Punch got that kinda respect as well, they are my favorite developer besides PD and in terms of gameplay make the best games for SCE. Guerrilla Games made a great game in Killzone 2, the 3rd and Shadowfall were a huge disappointment though but I have such high hopes for their new game, again in terms of gameplay they are great so hoping they can improve on the level design. It will be beautiful though, gonna go out on a limb here and say it will be the prettiest open world game on consoles if it is indeed an open world game. :p

PSX is annual. I think there's a Feb. Event but i doubt thats for Games.
Also the God of War Event in March.
You beautiful bastards, both of you! So they might show Project Morpheus then. Would be nice if we get one of the unnannounced AAA games along with Ratchet & Clank as well as some updates, it rather near. Nice final push for The Order 1886 as well.

I don't know where else to post this, but what is coming out this year to help push Japananese sales for the PS4? I'd imagine there's a fair amount of games coming in and with a likely Q1-Q2 16' release of FFXV, it could be nice a storm.
- Persona
- Dragon Quest Heroes
- Bloodborne
- Tales of ?
- Metal Gear Solid V
- Deep Down

What else is coming out this year? EDIT: Someone seems to have made a list up there. I thought DQ Heroes and Deep Down would certainly be coming out this year? Deep Down was supposed to release early 2014. -_-

I don't know where else to post this, but what is coming out this year to help push Japananese sales for the PS4? I'd imagine there's a fair amount of games coming in and with a likely Q1-Q2 16' release of FFXV, it could be nice a storm.
- Persona
- Dragon Quest Heroes
- Bloodborne
- Tales of ?
- Metal Gear Solid V
- Deep Down

What else is coming out this year?

Disgea
Gundam
Yakuza 0
One Piece PW 3
YS
God Eater Burst 2
Nairo High Shool
-Naruto UNS 4

Actually here is a list of all titles
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=946963

Luke_Wal

Worth noting that nobody in this thread has mentioned Pixelopus, Sony's studio that they announced at E3 next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see another, hopefully better, title from them this year considering the scope of their first.

Turkoop

Banned
Worth noting that nobody in this thread has mentioned Pixelopus, Sony's studio that they announced at E3 next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see another, hopefully better, title from them this year considering the scope of their first.

I guess cause nobody knows what they are working currently.

Worth noting that you obviously haven't read the thread. :p

delSai

Man that's a great Post, Dave. And it makes me kinda sad that we don't know when most of those Games come out. Cmon Sony, share some Rime News with us. And you too Suda, i need more Let it Die. And unless i haven't missed them on the List, that's not even all. Toukiden for example is also coming to Ps4. So many Games...

GobFather

I didn't read through the whole thread but, what happened to "Shadow of the Beast"? O.O; didn't see it in the OP, unless I missed lol

sora87

In a perfect world all those Japanese games will get localized.
If all that doesn't help the PS4 take off more over there then I doubt anything will, including FF XV and MGS V.

delSai

I don't know if you read it in the good ol' PSX Thread, but one of the Insiders said he knew about Dragons Dogma and Crash, DD was already announced in form of Dragons Dogma Online, so Crash making his return wouldn't surprise me.
That being said, i doubt this is the place to reveal a new Crash Game.
Well... IF this is Crash. Could be something else i guess.

autoduelist

Infamous Sequel

really think this is a rare case where bigger/better is all that's really needed to make this an amazing franchise. Variety of missions, more powers, interesting story, and greater variety of enemies and locations. I think the only design flaw here is not having multiple characters for morality choices. The "Paths" should just be specific to certain characters so there development can be fleshed out. It doesn't have to be "like" two games in one, just make it two games in one by hiring another actor.

This is actually a fantastic idea -- two playable characters with intertwining tales. However, you'd be really upping the amount of cutscene/story development -- many scenes would need 4 different versions (good/good, good/evil, evil/good, evil/evil) and the story itself would get more convoluted (from the writer's perspective, not necessarily the audiences) the further out the 'tree' of possibilities extended assuming you went for meaningful story decisions. It would also assume evil stayed evil, and good stayed good, with no switching once you started down one path for a character. Still... very solid ideas.

Also, now that we had Delsin's 'power-shifting' ability, it would be hard to go back to a standard powerful conduit who only had one power. This was an issue for me even in First Light, which I loved. But multiple characters could solve this... though really I'd want 3-4, which would make the story branching even more ridiculously complex.

I don't know if you read it in the good ol' PSX Thread, but one of the Insiders said he knew about Dragons Dogma and Crash, DD was already announced in form of Dragons Dogma Online, so Crash making his return wouldn't surprise me.

he was also talking about an exclusive game from EPIC Studio....Dayum

Ummmmm wasn't the whole PS4 Crash thing already confirmed to be BS?

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
All i wanna know is when will I finally get to see GGs fuckin RPG...

Probably the most hyped I have ever been for a game i know next to nothing about. I'm a solid fan of Guerrillas ever since the first Killzone and all i can think about is the weighty meatiness of their killzone games transplated into a RPG with gameplay (i hope) like Dragon's Dogma and it makes me hard.

I hope i'm not too far off base and we pretty much know that without a doubt it will be fucking beautiful. Show me this thing Sony, PLEASE..

E3 i'm looking at you.

stryke

So not really news but we've had 2 further confirmations of a skeleton crew working on an unannounced AAA title at ND. One was from Druckmann who mentioned it during the Gameinformer podcast. The other comes from the courtesy of Dualshockers where we now know one of those devs (Frank Tzeng) working on it.

TWYYnvh.png

Turkoop

Banned
So not really news but we've had 2 further confirmations of a skeleton crew working on an unannounced AAA title at ND. One was from Druckmann who mentioned it during the Gameinformer podcast. The other comes from the courtesy of Dualshockers where we now know one of those devs (Frank Tzeng) working on it.

TWYYnvh.png

Surely it's TLOU 2

TWYYnvh.png

Please be Savage Starlight.

TimFL

This is actually a fantastic idea -- two playable characters with intertwining tales. However, you'd be really upping the amount of cutscene/story development -- many scenes would need 4 different versions (good/good, good/evil, evil/good, evil/evil) and the story itself would get more convoluted ...

He said that they should remove the morality choices and just have 2 characters represeting them. A guy doing good things and another one doing the bad things.

Not sure if I'd like that though, part of the fun was making decisions on the fly (even though they barely changed anything).

Anyone who honestly thinks there won't be a TLoU2, or that there's any chance at all of ND making a new Crash game is utterly deluded. This is not the same company as 20 or even 10 years ago, and they've just released one of the most acclaimed mature games ever which sold upwards of 8 million copies. They don't want to return to making whimsical games like Crash or J&D, and the significance and selling power of that genre has taken a massive nosedive since the PS1/PS2 era, so where's the incentive?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I really don't understand why people don't want a TLOU2. I've never seen a franchise that offers so much potential for follow ups.

GeoramA

Sony has to spread out announcements for E3, Gamescom, TGS, and now PSX. The second half of 2015 is going to be very interesting.

I really don't understand why people don't want a TLOU2. I've never seen a franchise that offers so much potential for follow ups.
Me neither. A new TLoU built ground-up on PS4 is going to be a sight to behold.

JP

I'd have no issues with a sequel to The Last of Us as long as it happens because they feel they have a story to tell which seems to be what they're implying at the moment. I'd rather not have a sequel if they didn't have a story to tell.

It'll be interesting to see what they do in relation to having a second character that you look after as happened with Joel and Ellie. Will that happen in the sequel? Will the companion character be invisible like Ellie was to enemies or will she be visible as if they are visible that could really change the game and not necessarily for the better. I know it's not realistic and it was something that they kept changing their minds about but I felt making Ellie invisible to enemies while you controlled Joel was a really good choice.

My only fear for TLoU2 is that I don't want one that's not written by Druckmann. I don't think he's lying when he said sequel ideas for TLoU is put on ice while he focuses on U4.

It'd be awkward if somehow Team Pre-Production is working on TLoU2 without Druckmann. I hope it's a new IP.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
My only fear for TLoU2 is that I don't want one that's not written by Druckmann. I don't think he's lying when he said sequel ideas for TLoU is put on ice while he focuses on U4.

It'd be awkward if somehow Team Pre-Production is working on TLoU2 without Druckmann. I hope it's a new IP.
There is so much that usually gets cut from a game that a potential pre-production team could investigate.

And unless Druckmann works very different from Hennig and Levine he will be able to incorporate whatever cool scenarios or gameplay they come up with.

mejin

People need to trust ND more. They are one of the best developers in the market, there is no need to be afraid, they surely know what they are doing and where they want to go.

stryke

I reckon Evans and Balestra should really try to foster some new creative leads. I have huge respect for Druckmann and Straley but they shouldn't have to be relied upon all the time. Someone needs fill Hennig's shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom