• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets talk about Sonys First Party Studios and their upcoming Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the Creators of GRAND THEFT AUTO...

Rockstar Presents Table Tennis 2 Exclusively for Move + Morpheus.

39X

Spoiler:
I'm really not :p

what about Crytek, they announced yesterday that they working with someone, could it be Sony ?

Extremely unlikely, as Sony have several in-house engines (Guerrilla Games, Naughty Dog, Evolution, SSM, etc). In fact, I've been surprised in the past that Sony studios don't share engines more.

He didn't say it was being developed by Japan Studio.

You're right; I think I just assumed it was Japan Studios.

- 'Unannounced JRPG 2' will be SCE's second attempt at a big game emulating FF. If this comes to fruition, and is successful, then there is a franchise opportunity which can be exploited. Probably the most experimental project as if it bombs, then they'll never touch anything like it again. I don't think it will though. With the advent of FF15, KH3, and the announcement of FF16 sometime between 2014-2015, Japan gamers will be ready for this. The big question mark is whether they can translate some of that success to the West which will obviously be an aim.

No worries, a lot of people did. Seeing as Level 5 are meant to be announcing a game at E3, it's probably from them.

I would give a kidney for another traditional JRPG on consoles as great as Dragon Quest VIII. I mean, I enjoyed Ni No Kuni, but the combat was horrible and I found it nowhere near as amazing as DQVIII.

That being said, I'd love it if they were developing Dark Cloud 3.

I would give a kidney for another traditional JRPG on consoles as great as Dragon Quest VIII. I mean, I enjoyed Ni No Kuni, but the combat was horrible and I found it nowhere near as amazing as DQVIII.

That being said, I'd love it if they were developing Dark Cloud 3.

i dont think it will be DQ or DC 3 if Level 5 is the studio, that is developing the Big Budget JRPG:
Verendus clearly said, that they are also aiming for an western audience (like FF).

So my guess is a Game on the level of Lost Odyssey or Xenoblade

Melchiah

Well, I first picked up a PS3 around the time Uncharted: Drake's Fortune hit so I was probably insulated from that dry period - by the time I picked it up, Warhawk, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, Lair and others were already released, so maybe I jumped the gun a bit.

Forgive me guys, I wrote those arguments very late at night while sleep deprived, so I may have been a tad overreactive and dumb. :p

I picked up a PS3 in December 2007, nine months after the EU launch, and there wasn't much to play for almost a year, aside from RFOM and MotorStorm. Even the variety of multiplatform titles was a pretty limited at the time. The PS4 has had a much better variety of titles so far, be it exclusive or multiplatform, AAA or indie.

I picked up a PS3 in December 2007, nine months after the EU launch, and there wasn't much to play for almost a year, aside from RFOM and MotorStorm. Even the variety of multiplatform titles was a pretty limited at the time. The PS4 has had a much better variety of titles so far, be it exclusive or multiplatform, AAA or indie.

By December 2007 there was Resistance, Motorstorm, Ratchet and Clank ToD, Super Stardust HD, Warhawk, Uncharted, Call of Duty 4, The Elder Scrolls Oblivion, Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Half Life 2. The PS4's lineup so far pales in comparison in terms of quality or impact, especially when it coms to First Party output.

The only reason the PS3's lineup seemed deficient was that the 360 had a bunch of critically acclaimed titles and the better versions of multiplats.

Turkoop

Banned

The variety nowdays are great, so many great titles, great AAA or Indies

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I find it pretty strange how Sony has put out like 6+ first party titles, whereas MS has put out like 3 and Sony is the one that keeps being talked about as not making many first party games. It is kind of odd.

Driveclub, Infamous, Killzone, Hohokum, TLOU: Remastered, The Order, MLB: The Show 2014 / 2015, LBP3.

So thats 9 titles vs. 3 for Microsoft. Forza 5, Forza Horizon 2, and MCC. 2 of which are multiplatform titles.

Yet here we are.
Because Sony are supposed to be a huge first party powerhouse and MS aren't.

Sony has 13 in-house development studios. MS have 24 according to Wikipedia, or 10 if we just count established studios. It's not like there's a big difference between them, so I don't understand why you would hold Sony's output to some higher standard than MS's.

Sony has 13 in-house development studios. MS have 24 according to Wikipedia, or 10 if we just count established studios. It's not like there's a big difference between them, so I don't understand why you would hold Sony's output to some higher standard than MS's.

It's already been established that that original guy ignored most of MS's output.

He ignored Ryse, Halo: Spartan Assualt, LocoCycle, Max: The Curse of Brotherhood, Ori and the Blind Forest, Project Spark, Kalimba, Screamride, State of Decay, Zoo Tycoon, Crimson Dragon, D4, Dance Central, Killer Instinct, Kinect Sports, Powerstar Golf, and Sunset Overdrive. The weird thing about is that I listed all of those games based on a Wikipedia list, it seems that he just listed the games he was interested in off of the top of his head--which means he also left out a bunch of PS4 games as well. There are 13 PS4 First Party games, and 20 XB1 games, assuming I counted correctly. (TBF, I didn't count a lot of the indie games that have SCE listed as a publisher because I don't think very many of those are first party output, and I tried to avoid that with XB1 as well, though I did include SO because it was still funded by MS).

It's already been established that that original guy ignored most of MS's output.

He ignored Ryse, Halo: Spartan Assualt, LocoCycle, Max: The Curse of Brotherhood, Ori and the Blind Forest, Project Spark, Kalimba, Screamride, State of Decay, Zoo Tycoon, Crimson Dragon, D4, Dance Central, Killer Instinct, Kinect Sports, Powerstar Golf, and Sunset Overdrive. The weird thing about is that I listed all of those games based on a Wikipedia list, it seems that he just listed the games he was interested in off of the top of his head--which means he also left out a bunch of PS4 games as well. There are 13 PS4 First Party games, and 20 XB1 games, assuming I counted correctly. (TBF, I didn't count a lot of the indie games that have SCE listed as a publisher because I don't think very many of those are first party output, and I tried to avoid that with XB1 as well, though I did include SO because it was still funded by MS).

MS's problem this gen certainly hasn't been with software support. It is, and always has been messaging, and digging themselves out of the whole they got themselves into two years ago.

Melchiah

By December 2007 there was Resistance, Motorstorm, Ratchet and Clank ToD, Super Stardust HD, Warhawk, Uncharted, Call of Duty 4, The Elder Scrolls Oblivion, Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Half Life 2. The PS4's lineup so far pales in comparison in terms of quality or impact, especially when it coms to First Party output.

The only reason the PS3's lineup seemed deficient was that the 360 had a bunch of critically acclaimed titles and the better versions of multiplats.

I forgot Orange Box was out in 2007. That included, I only bought and played RFOM, MotorStorm, R&CF:TOD, and Heavenly Sword during the PS3's infancy, before the latter half of 2008 when WipEout HD and Siren:BC were released. Whereas on the PS4 I've played all of these so far.

7yM7EOU.jpg

Then there's MLB14, LBP3, COD, BF, AC, NFS, FFXIV, FIFA, and whatnot for those interested in them. So, from that perspective, the PS3 certainly offered more limited variety of games.

You just did pretty much the same thing he did. Unless their publishing is region specific (PixelJunk in the west, Destiny in Japan, etc.) or third party deals (like say Street Fighter 5), all the games Sony publishes are Sony owned and funded.

By my count, Bloodborne will be the 25th game Sony have released on the PS4. Digital remasters like Sound Shapes and Flower count because why not if TLOU Remastered and MCC also count? Playroom is excluded.

I also count Ori as the 21st game Microsoft have released. Killer Instinct S1 and S2 are counted as separate games. Xbox Fitness was excluded for the same reason Playroom was. Dead Rising 3 was also excluded because Microsoft publishing it doesn't change the fact that it's a Capcom game (like how they published Ninja Gaiden 2 on 360 or SF5 on PS4).

Weird thing about the Wikipedia list though, is that Super Time Force and Below are listed as Microsoft published games when in reality, they're self-published. Microsoft was publishing both games at one point but that was back before they pulled their series of 180's and finally allowed self-publishing on the Xbone.

jiggle

His big/other Announcements are not even revealed yet

- Final Fantasy 7 Remake (probably also HD compilations of the spinnofs) on Ps4
- Sony Japans Big Budget RPG Game (like FF for a worldwide audience)
- Final Fantasy 12 Remaster
- A new Brawler Game for Ps4
- 2 Sega Exclusives for Ps4 - one will be revelead in 2015
- Exclusive Ps4 Game from Lockstarter (Rockstar Games) ?
- Exclusive Ps4 Game from Warner Bros (Superman ?)
- a Dragon Quest Remake for Ps4 and other Dragon Quest Game (DQ 11?)
- New Suikoden Game (not sure if Ps4 exclusive)
- Xenosaga HD Collection
- Sly Cooper 5

I was proud to be in your Knack Army Verendus

200_s.gif

Pretty sure the DQ not a remake but a remaster

There's the one he deleted that only Chobel saw
Something that was for Nintendo device(?)

And dragon quest heroes sequel and possibly some other collab?

what would you Guys think about Sony taking over Kojima Prodcutions?

I would love that idea. Kojima could focus on one specific plattform - he and his games have a strong history with Playstation AND Sony would have a huge Japanese Studio on their lines.

I know nothing is confirmed about Kojimas Departure...Still dreaming a bit

yagal

I would love that idea. Kojima could focus on one specific plattform - he and his games have a strong history with Playstation AND Sony would have a huge Japanese Studio on their lines.

Let's dream together.

No chance whatsoever Konami would want to sell Kojima Productions, they'll want to get rid of Kojima and his senior staff before shifting all the remaining staff to the new divisions they've just created.

What Sony should be doing is helping Kojima set up the new studio he will inevitably found and have them as a second party studio (which they can later buy if things turn out well). Unlike a lot of fanboy dreams that happen during a departure like this ("Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft should totally hire Kamiya", etc.), I think this actually has a decent chance of happening. He doesn't really fit at Nintendo at all, Microsoft are irrelevant in Japan and it really doesn't seem like any of the other major publishers are looking to expand either, aside from maybe Bethesda, who helped Mikami found Tango Gameworks. And since Kojima by all accounts has a pretty good relationship with Sony, it'd be a logical move.

Pachimari

I have to say, that I have also been of the impression, that Sony's line-up for the PS4 have been rather week since launch, but I'm trying to be more open-minded toward their releases, as I buy all third parties on PC starting this generation.

So while I have only had The Last of Us: Remastered (and already completed it on PS3 before it came out in retail), I'm giving DriveClub a chance, as it have gotten itself together rather well since launch, and I can't wait to put some hours into it. It looks absolutely gorgeous and is something I have come to expect from my Sony games.

Add to that, all of a sudden, I have to choose between Final Fantasy Type-0 HD or Bloodborne this April 1, and will highly likely go for Type-0, as I want to try out the Final Fantasy XV demo, and also put my teeth into Type-0's combat system. And then awaits Bloodborne, and lo-and-behold my birthday, where The Order: 1886 will be the perfect present as I have heard it's not supposed to be that long.

And all of a sudden I find myself enjoying Sony's current releases of games, and there's not long until God of War III: Remastered, which is yet another remake, but of a game I have never played before. So that'll be like new to me, and I'm kind of craving a hack 'n slash. And soon after I expect Ratchet & Clank Redux, which I have high expectations of.

I doubt the actual studio Kojima Productions is shutting down though, especially when Konami have made it clear there will be more MGS games. Most likely there will be a total management swap, the studio will be renamed something boring like Konami Development Team 1 and they'll continue making games like before.

As for Kojima going to work for Sony, I'm not entirely convinced it would work. He'd need to walk into a Triple-A studio with probably at least 100 people on his team, and I'm not sure Sony's in the position to accommodate that right now as they're trimming parts of WWS, not increasing numbers. Joining Japan Studio would be extremely disruptive when Becker has just spent the last couple of years sorting them out, and frankly I expect Kojima himself will want to go indie like Inafune has done so that he owns the games he creates.

It's a nice idea in theory and out of all the Japanese publishers Sony is possibly the best fit due to Kojima's history with their hardware, but I don't see it happening.

I doubt the actual studio Kojima Productions is shutting down though, especially when Konami have made it clear there will be more MGS games. Most likely there will be a total management swap, the studio will be renamed something boring like Konami Development Team 1 and they'll continue making games like before.

As for Kojima going to work for Sony, I'm not entirely convinced it would work. He'd need to walk into a Triple-A studio with probably at least 100 people on his team, and I'm not sure Sony's in the position to accommodate that right now as they're trimming parts of WWS, not increasing numbers. Joining Japan Studio would be extremely disruptive when Becker has just spent the last couple of years sorting them out, and frankly I expect Kojima himself will want to go indie like Inafune has done so that he owns the games he creates.

It's a nice idea in theory and out of all the Japanese publishers Sony is possibly the best fit due to Kojima's history with their hardware, but I don't see it happening.

Yeah, they already announced the restructure before the mess went public. Konami has three main development teams now, Production Divisions 1-3, while Kojima Production LA has been renamed to Konami LA. I'd assume one of those groups is the Metal Gear team, one is the Silent Hills team and the last is the PES team.

No way Kojima goes the way of Inafune though. Can you really see him going back to making 2D games given his love of story and scale? I bet he'll go the Kamiya/Mikami route, setting up a new studio to make AAA games and I'm guessing there'll be a few publishers chasing his next game, Sony and Nintendo probably as the front runners.

Turkoop

Banned
If Sony Kojima allows to build a new studio which is first party or second, thousands of people would be very happy and grateful to Sony, they would won a lot of customers & fans

Wynnebeck

Banned
Only Question: Will Miyazaki do another exclusive for Ps4?

100% at this point. Bloodborne is not only a critical darling, but will also sell a decent amount of copies. Sony realizes people love the Dark Souls' series and having an exclusive slice of the pie for themselves is good business. Also, I can imagine Miyazaki and co. are happy to have their game garner such acclaim. Happy times all around for From and Sony.

Rymuth

100% at this point. Bloodborne is not only a critical darling, but will also sell a decent amount of copies. Sony realizes people love the Dark Souls' series and having an exclusive slice of the pie for themselves is good business. Also, I can imagine Miyazaki and co. are happy to have their game garner such acclaim. Happy times all around for From and Sony.
Welcome back, man!!

Too late, kadokawa already bought them last year.

it would have been cool having two A+ studios under your wing whos strengths are polar opposites.

Seriously talk about the best of both of worlds, you one studios that exceeds in narrative and storytelling and another that exceeds in gameplay and complexity. Sony missed out big time in not getting From but at the very least they manage to get another exclusive and given the reaction to BB, it must likely won't be the last.

Seriously talk about the best of both of worlds, you one studios that exceeds in narrative and storytelling and another that exceeds in gameplay and complexity. Sony missed out big time in not getting From but at the very least they manage to get another exclusive and given the reaction to BB, it must likely won't be the last.

They already announced two exclusive games awhile ago.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Yeah, they already announced the restructure before the mess went public. Konami has three main development teams now, Production Divisions 1-3, while Kojima Production LA has been renamed to Konami LA. I'd assume one of those groups is the Metal Gear team, one is the Silent Hills team and the last is the PES team.

No way Kojima goes the way of Inafune though. Can you really see him going back to making 2D games given his love of story and scale? I bet he'll go the Kamiya/Mikami route, setting up a new studio to make AAA games and I'm guessing there'll be a few publishers chasing his next game, Sony and Nintendo probably as the front runners.

Kojima should totally try and see if he can get away with naming his new independent studio 'Outer Heaven' :)

Only Question: Will Miyazaki do another exclusive for Ps4?

None of us really know. I imagine Bloodborne will sell very well, but Kadokawa may decide Miyazaki would be better served making Dark Souls games instead of a platform exclusive as I think the IP is theirs (even though the trademark is registered in English territories as Bamco's). On the other hand Sony may offer good rates for developing Bloodborne sequels so it would make sense for From to keep both of those plates spinning. I get the feeling that Miyazaki is in an esteemed position at From, and Kadokawa probably can't force him to do anything he doesn't want to do as I'm sure other publishers (particularly Sony) would be more than happy to offer him a job.

Sony's not in the position to be buying devs right now anyway. They seem to be finding a lot of success by working with third parties, so that's probably a road they want to continue down.

None of us really know. I imagine Bloodborne will sell very well, but Kadokawa may decide Miyazaki would be better served making Dark Souls games instead of a platform exclusive as I think the IP is theirs (even though the trademark is registered in English territories as Bamco's). On the other hand Sony may offer good rates for developing Bloodborne sequels so it would make sense for From to keep both of those plates spinning. I get the feeling that Miyazaki is in an esteemed position at From, and Kadokawa probably can't force him to do anything he doesn't want to do as I'm sure other publishers (particularly Sony) would be more than happy to offer him a job.
Isn't he the president of FromSoftware now?

Isn't he the president of FromSoftware now?

Yes, now you mention it I recall he got a significant promotion a while ago.

Why not simply name his new studio Kojima Production? It's his name, or does Konami own that as well?

Legally he wouldn't be able to do that because it says 'Kojima Productions' all over the MGS series except for MGSV, and it could be seen as creating an association in order to profit from previous work. Given that it's his name though I'm sure he could call it something a bit different if he wanted, like 'Kojima Developments'.

Sony's not in the position to be buying devs right now anyway. They seem to be finding a lot of success by working with third parties, so that's probably a road they want to continue down.

Exactly. Buying devs is very expensive. Whats the point when you can still get exclusive titles at a fraction of the cost through publishing deals or collaborations. This applies for Sony, MS and Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom