• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about your favorite comedy films

pramod

Banned
Since good comedies have become so rare in our new oversensitive woke society, what were some of your favorite comedies from the past?

Ed Wood - probably my favorite movie ever. I dont know why but i love movies about making movies and this one is the funniest ever and infinitely rewatchable.

Trading Places - a total classic. Its tied for first place for me as the best comedy film of all time with Young Frankenstein. Another endlessly rewatchable film with one unforgettable performance after another.

Some honorable mentions from the past:
Beavis and Butthead Do America
Bowfinger
Sixteen Candles
The Three Amigos

As for recent good comedies, i think the only ones that made me laugh out loud were The Interview and The Disaster Artist. There really hasnt been anything good more recently.

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Drop Dead Gorgeous - my favourite movie ever.

And I can't vote for There's something about Mary since I had my dick stuck in a zipper and had surgery.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
1. The Princess Bride
2. Shaun of the Dead
3. Wedding Crashers
4. Don't Look Up
5. Snatch

Fbh

I love Dodgeball.
It's really stupid and dumb but I have a soft spot for it

giphy-2.gif

xandaca

Life Of Brian. Beautifully straddles the line between being satirical, insightful and utterly ludicrous. Having done a year trying and failing miserably at learning latin at school, the 'Romanes Eunt Domus' (aka: People called Romanes, they go the house) scene always cracks me up, particularly since Cleese being a latin teacher before becoming a comedian makes it that much more authentic.

And this scene, from a film made in 1979, shows that the more things change, the more they remain the same:

Last edited:
Borat
Bruce Almighty
Coming to America
Dumb And Dumber
Elf
Kindergarten Cop
Liar Liar
Meet The Parents
Mystery Men
Night At The Museum
School of Rock
Superbad
The Campaign
The Internship
The Lego Movie
The Other Guys
The Watch

All I can think of at the moment

kuncol02

Banned
Don Camillo
Le Gendarme de Saint-Tropez
Drunken Master
Airplane
Naked Weapon
Hot Shots
Spaceballs
Taxi
Kiler (probably best polish movie ever)
Hot Fuzz

Several classics by Monty Python, with the highlight probably being Holy Grail for me

Several classics by Mel Brooks, with the highlight being Blazing Saddles, a movie that in no way shape or form can be made with today's sensitive attitudes.

The first two Rush Hour movies, the third one is junk.

In the 80s, Eddie Murphy was on pure fire, with the highlights probably being Trading Places and Coming to America.

Hot takes:
- I was gonna include Borat but then remembered that while the movie is funny, it's nowhere near as funny as the show (i.e., the Borat segments of the Ali G Show)
- A lot of 90s/early 2000s stuff by Jim Carrey (Ace Ventura, The Mask, etc), Adam Sandler (Happy Gilmore, Big Daddy, etc) and Kevin Smith, has NOT aged well. Out of all of those, Adam Sandler's stuff fares the best, as it's the least dated and at least has some charm.

winjer

Gold Member
Monty Pythons and the Holy Grail
Monty Pythons, the life of Bwian
Airplane
Robing hood - Men in tights
The great dictator
Ghostbusters
Top Secret
Austin Powers
Blazing saddles
Ali G Indahouse
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Last edited:
Borat
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Meet The Fockers
Dumb and Dumber
Rush Hour 1 and 2
Austin Powers all of them
Curb Your Enthusiam sitcom
Bill Cosby sitcom
Three's Company sitcom
All In The Family sitcom

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Rush hour tried to do comedy and action at once and I appreciate that. Jackie Chan is the core and guts of those films.

Kssio_Aug

Ace Ventura 2 and Tropic Thunder are probably my favorites.

Ace_ventura_when_nature_calls.jpg
MV5BNDE5NjQzMDkzOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODI3ODI3MQ@@._V1_.jpg

Honorable mentions:
The Little Rascals
Superbad
Dodgeball
Dumb and Dumber
Heavyweights
The Mummy (1999)

Last edited:

Barrage

As much as I love Airplane and Dumb and Dumber, I’ll try and list some lesser-discussed ones in case they may be new to some Users.

Dirty Work (haven’t watched it since Norm passed away, but what a wonderful movie)
Night Shift (Micheal Keaton is so funny in this)
See No Evil, Hear No Evil
Role Models (I find this movie really underrated)

Also watch Kiss Kiss Bang Bang if you haven’t, although it’s certainly not a pure comedy it’s funny enough to come to mind.

I won't mention many of the common favorites, but rather I just saw one that far exceeded its reputation and my expectations. I won't say it's a classic, but it was surely funnier than I expected with lots of hilarious little moments. I mean this scene had me rolling:

Last edited:

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
In no particular order:

Airplane
Shaun of the Dead
Borat
Ace Ventura
Snatch
Nacho Libre
Napoleon Dynamite
Dumb and Dumber