• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk intelligently: Is the Wii done as far as third parties go?

Rich!

Black Rainbow said:
A fad, by definition, is something that is only popular for a short time. The Wii has been popular since it was released in 2006. If "most devs" feel the Wii is a fad, it's high time some of them pick up a dictionary and learn what the term fad truly means because they're clueless about its definition right now.

Same goes for Pokemon. Apparently, that is still a fad too. A fad that's lasted well over a decade. :lol

Mael

Huh... I'd frame the question differently personnally.
The real question is why they've made every move possible to make sure they would not be part of the Wii's success.
I mean, what Htown said is pretty true to an extent, most 3rd parties of note wanted no business on Wii unless bribed to do so (which doesn't work as been proven multiple times).

As it is Wii's future is in the hands of Nintendo like it has always been, it'll stay relevant if they can make it stay relevant (which seeing their recent moves doesn't look like it'll stay relevant for long unless some surprise come up or DKCR is a mini nsmbw).
What I mean actually is that 3rd parties effort were not the reason Wii suceed in the first place and since it's then it's not been the reason for its demise either.

Heck the reason why wii fell off a clif in 2009 was not due to 3rd party being lamer than before or anything, it was because of WiiMusic & Animal Crossing failing to be what they should have been.
In short, 3rd parties have always been a non factor, whether they're pulling out or not is irrelevant as it is (as evidenced by late 2009).

They seem to want to want to have their part of the pie for the 3ds right now, but seeing with what values they're entering that market I wonder if that's good news...

GDGF

Soothsayer
Linkzg said:
I think I might be the only one who doesn't care about a wii successor or anything. The Nintendo series of games on more powerful hardware would be nice, but now that they have a handheld that can do decent 3D gaming, I'd like them to treat it as their main platform.

You and me both, actually.

With the 3DS I go portable only.

Stink

Black Rainbow said:
A fad, by definition, is something that is only popular for a short time. The Wii has been popular since it was released in 2006. If "most devs" feel the Wii is a fad, it's high time some of them pick up a dictionary and learn what the term fad truly means because they're clueless about its definition right now.

Dunno. I feel like the Wii was a fad for core gamers. Most got on board but have since given up on it in my experience. That it is still going strong for the expanded audience people doesn't change this.

wazoo

Xellos said:
I don't know, for the rest of 2010, third party support looks about as good as it ever did. Which is to say, Epic Mickey looks good, Goldeneye and NBA Jam seem like they might be fun, Sonic Colors may actually turn out OK (Sonic Cycle stage 1), and this year's Call of Duty will actually be released . . . this year! There won't be any new rail shooters though, just a port of LA Machine Guns, so I guess Wii third party support is slipping on that front.

2010 is fine, maybe one of the best year of the Wii.

And then, it is over.

It's not like third parties would even have the mentality to support Nintendo all the way. They spent the previous fifteen years targeting young males and ignoring everyone else. The concept that anyone can be a gamer is still foreign to pretty much everyone but Nintendo.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i think 3rd parties tried to compete with nintendo and lost. nintendo didnt care because they were making boatloads of money no matter what they did. for whatever reason it didnt seem like most 3rd parties knew what to really do with the tech at hand. Also, there are perceived "extra costs" for developing for the Wii since the 360 and PS3 didn't have equivalent motion controllers at the time. They couldnt cheap out and copy and paste controls over, they had to make them from scratch all over again.

Not being able to port across systems, i feel, is a big detriment to why Wii really didn't get that much support. Even if the Wii itself has about (or bigger) the same userbase as PS3+360 combined. It also comes down to who the actual audience is, and why anyone would buy games that have traditionally been known to be games in the game industry. Crap like Just Dance sells millions and more-or-less traditional 3rd party games tank.

the wii has only had 1 legit price drop so far... i think nintendo will just sit on this tech for a few more years to come until they can make something on the level of 360 (or better) at the same price point as the wii's launch. at that point the wii will be down to 150 or something like that.

Also, I feel like the online portion of the Wii is a complete mess and the way to store games you buy online is terribad. That's probably another element.

leng jai

Black Rainbow said:

Fad in terms of motion controls as a feature, not the Wii's commerical success.

Mael

Arpharmd B said:
Yes, and the market on Wii was established very early on. But it's a different market with different tastes.

Do people still not understand what Nintendo did? They created a new market of gamers which consisted of many people who have never even touched a controller before. This was a huge risk, and it paid off huge for them. These people never gave a damn about Call of Duty or Grand Theft Auto, otherwise they would have touched a controller before. Trying to force these types of games on them isn't going to work, and 3rd parties tried and failed early on in the Wiis life.

There is money for 3rd parties on the Wii. 3rd parties need to wake up and start exploiting the market that is there. Monster Hunter is a tough sell to the Wii audience, Just Dance is an instant hit and multimillion seller. This isn't hard to understand.

Gee a game thriving on local multiplayer doing better than a game thriving on online multiplayer with a local multiplayer tacked on it on a system where people don't care about online? Who would have thought it possible!!!!

leng jai said:
Which is why Just dance and Wii Sport Resort are such abject failures?

seady

The DS has a lot of great 3rd party games, but how many of them do we call "AAA"? It has a ton of great RPGs, interesting games like Phoenix Wright, Cooking Mama, Nintendogs, Scribblenauts, Trauma Center, Brain Age, The World Ends With You etc, but do we call them "AAA"? No. Because we define AAA as those mega-budget titles - something that is not require on the Wii/DS.

The Wii does not need "AAA" title. It needs more arcady, smaller and interesting titles. Something fresh and crazy like Boom Blox, Rock Band, World of Goo, Bit.Trip etc.

The Dreamcast is a system they should look at - it doesn't have a lot of "AAA" titles, but it was full of smaller budget, weird and crazy new ideas like Space Channel, Crazy Taxi, Seaman, Typing of the Dead etc.

Don't try to go "AAA" or "Mega-Budget" on the Wii. It doesn't need it. The game can look like shit, as long as it has ideas that is so new or out of this world (like Scribblenauts and Wii Fit when they were first introduced) that people would want to try it first hand and it will make noise in the casual community.

And a hint to publishers: making your game price cheap will help. you are selling idea, not production value on the Wii.

Black Rainbow said:

Well, it could be just a generational fad (yes, stretching it). A success for this round but who knows what will happen next round? If MS and Sony get a majority of the possible Wii2 owners to latch onto their motion control answers for the next 3-5 years the Wii2 might be in for some competition it didn't have this round especially because of the technology difference and it probably being the first out of the gate.

Complete speculation of course. But if Sony and MS do plan on stretching this out for 3-5 years (I'm guessing this rests on the success of Kinect and Move) that puts a lot of pressure on the Wii as a system with failing 3rd party support.

Beth Cyra

Stink said:
Dunno. I feel like the Wii was a fad for core gamers. Most got on board but have since given up on it in my experience. That it is still going strong for the expanded audience people doesn't change this.

I don't see how this would be the case, Wii had pretty bad third party support from the beginning, not only that but it has progressed at a very similar pace as far as Hardcore titles from Nintendo as the past two generations.

So I don't see how it could be a fad for Hardcore, maybe some decided they wanted HD or didn't care about Nintendo Franchises, but I don't believe that any large segement of Hardcore gamers bought it in hopes of seein big games like Gears of War, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy.

And if you did, well you you asked to be disappointed.

Tenbatsu

I just want to say kudos to Konami for creating the best 3rd party effort aka the best soccer game ever which is PES Wii.

Poyunch

Mael said:
Gee a game thriving on local multiplayer doing better than a game thriving on online multiplayer with a local multiplayer tacked on it on a system where people don't care about online? Who would have thought it possible!!!!
Well to be fair multiplayer is a must even the local multiplayer for Monster Hunter. But I guess this is because I'm not part of Nintendo's new market.

Tenbatsu said:
I just want to say kudos to Konami for creating the best 3rd party effort on the Wii which is PES Wii.
It's really too bad many ignored it.

leng jai said:
So much of a fad that the competitors are now legitimizing Nintendo's decision to go with gesture controls. Using the words fad and Wii in the same sentence doesn't make sense on any level.

VerTiGo

Banned
I find it astonishing that people think third party support will be over on the Wii. The install base of the Wii will not diminish once the turn of the year is over. And many have already said it, but holiday 2010 is the best we've seen to date as far as third party efforts are concerned on the Wii. Most of these games, such as NBA Jam, GoldeneEye, Epic Mickey, and Sonic Colors, are games that cater to the Wii audience fairly well. They're not as high risk as something like Muramasa or No More Heroes. We will continue to see third party efforts on the Wii in areas that are proven to work well. There will be less third party support, but unless Move and Kinect make a huge splash, which I'm not sure they will, you won't see bigger publishers dropping Wii support altogether. Understanding the Wii market and the new/old gamers they've brought into mix is intergral to the evolution of this hobby of ours.

Arpharmd B said:
You have this backwards. You need to consider the audience who buys the console, not the other way around. The audience that made the Wii a runaway sales success did not consist of RPG or FPS fans.

You can't force an audience where it doesn't exist.

Look at Madden or Call of Duty. Both franchises had Wii releases early on, yet they just didn't sell but a fraction of the HD versions. The Wii audience spoke, they don't want Call of Duty or Madden. They want Just Dance. How is this the 3rd parties fault?
Mostly, I was referring to Japan, but I'll say that perceptions are everything at launch. The 360 started out at nothing as well. I'll admit, however that the Madden/CoD audience was for the most part already on 360 by the time the Wii launched. Not much to do about that.

However, the release of a dumbed-down "All Play" version of Madden was idiocy of the worst kind and killed the brand on the system. It alienated what sports game fans there were on Wii and failed to attract new players.

Medal of Honor: Heroes did reasonably well at launch and even got a sequel. Call of Duty wasn't a mega-franchise at the time either. They weren't followed up on, however, and CoD4 Wii arrived a year or two later than the PS360 release.

Simply put, the audience didn't see the variety they wanted or got the releases they wanted and went elsewhere.

Mael

flyinpiranha said:
Well, it could be just a generational fad (yes, stretching it). A success for this round but who knows what will happen next round? If MS and Sony get a majority of the possible Wii2 owners to latch onto their motion control answers for the next 3-5 years the Wii2 might be in for some competition it didn't have this round especially because of the technology difference and it probably being the first out of the gate.

Complete speculation of course. But if Sony and MS do plan on stretching this out for 3-5 years (I'm guessing this rests on the success of Kinect and Move) that puts a lot of pressure on the Wii as a system with failing 3rd party support.

That put jack shit of pressure since 3rd party have proven unable to make games that can actually threaten even the original wii sport!
the biggest threat to the wii is NOT Nintendo's competitors, it's desinterest. It's the threat that the people that were the Expanded audience, and should have become their Core audience by now, go back to being their Expanded audience because they no longer have any interest in games.

PounchEnvy said:
Well to be fair multiplayer is a must even the local multiplayer for Monster Hunter. But I guess this is because I'm not part of Nintendo's new market

No, really NO. the local multiplayer options of MH is not up to par especially for the Wii.
Compare the local co op of that game with say....the wiisports, just dance, 2d mario and the other megafranchise on the Wii and you'll see what I mean.
It's not a case of being part of the Wii audience or not, heck the fact that the game doesn't even try to be a wii game is also self defeating (the template of the game was not suited or even adapted to the wii audience either....actually scratch that it wasn't even suited to western audience either)

Chesskid1

Banned
sorry if this seems a little bit off topic, but you people starting talking about the end of the Wii Cycle, so i started thinkin about what can nintendo next gen?

I couldn't really think of anything that wouldn't bomb. They lucksacked into motion controls and it was a huge craze. They can't really do more precise controls because others are already doing it. They can't really go with great graphics or online gaming since the others already do it and have theirs setup.

I mean, wtf can nintendo do next generation? Feels like a huge struggle for them. They got handhelds on lockdown at least though.

wazoo

VerTiGo said:
I find it astonishing that people think third party support will be over on the Wii. The install base of the Wii will not diminish once the turn of the year is over. And many have already said it, but holiday 2010 is the best we've seen to date as far as third party efforts are concerned on the Wii. Most of these games, such as NBA Jam, GoldeneEye, Epic Mickey, and Sonic Colors, are games that cater to the Wii audience fairly well. They're not as high risk as something like Muramasa or No More Heroes. We will continue to see third party efforts on the Wii in areas that are proven to work well. There will be less third party support, but unless Move and Kinect make a huge splash, which I'm not sure they will, you won't see bigger publishers dropping Wii support altogether. Understanding the Wii market and the new/old gamers they've brought into mix is intergral to the evolution of this hobby of ours.

you are overly optimistic or have access to hidden release data agendas. We can tell you, there is almost no 3rd party game planned for 2011, at least until E3.

The 3DS dis not help, I expect a lot of shifiting platform projects.

Beth Cyra

OldJadedGamer said:
Personally, in the last year and a half I haven't bought a single Wii game that wasn't made by Nintendo.

You skipped out on the best game on the Platform? Damn.:D

Seriously though <3 Silent Hill SM.

VerTiGo said:

And this is where I completely see my disconnect. It may not be that the 3rd party offerings are dwindling or not there ... it's just that what I personally wanted was/is not there. I see 1 or 2 games listed on all these Wii bullet point lists that are 20-30 long that even remotely interest me.

Is there actual data that shows 3rd party support is dwindling? Less titles coming out or something? Because I'm of the belief I (we) don't see the support because it's not the games I (we) give a shit about.

wazoo

OldJadedGamer said:
Personally, in the last year and a half I haven't bought a single Wii game that wasn't made by Nintendo.

That is pretty much your problem, because this year, 3rd party support has been excellent.

flyinpiranha said:
I just feel that if the Wii was more powerful as a system more developers would be jumping on board (EDIT - took this out - didn't make sense to me haha). I don't think it's a "well, we waited too long so why do it now?" type of situation ... to be honest, that doesn't make any sense because the install base is higher than it was years ago. But I'm also not a developer so I'm not claiming anything, just discussing.

The power difference is obviously an issue but uncertainty of what lies ahead has got to be playing a role. No one knows when Nintendo is going to release the Wii successor; do 3rd parties want to start a 3+ year project now when the Wii could be killed off in a year?

Move/Kinect is at least some implied assurance that PS360 isn't going anywhere fast. 10 year plan and all that jazz.

legend166

Chesskid1 said:
sorry if this seems a little bit off topic, but you people starting talking about the end of the Wii Cycle, so i started thinkin about what can nintendo next gen?

I couldn't really think of anything that wouldn't bomb. They lucksacked into motion controls and it was a huge craze. They can't really do more precise controls because others are already doing it. They can't really go with great graphics or online gaming since the others already do it and have theirs setup.

I mean, wtf can nintendo do next generation? Feels like a huge struggle for them. They got handhelds on lockdown at least though.

Release sequels to their games which have never had more mindshare and popularity than they do right now.

VerTiGo

Banned
wazoo said:
you are overly optimistic or have access to hidden release data agendas. We can tell you, there is almost no 3rd party game planned for 2011, at least until E3.

The 3DS dis not help, I expect a lot of shifiting platform projects.

No shit. Why would we know what to expect in 2011 when the summer of 2010 has yet to finish? When did you hear about Sonic Colors, NBA Jam or GoldenEye? There's no reason to believe that development has stopped.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah, I think it is. It was really hard for me to accept, though.

I have a full explanation here if anyone cares.

Stink

TruePrime said:
I don't see how this would be the case, Wii had pretty bad third party support from the beginning, not only that but it has progressed at a very similar pace as far as Hardcore titles from Nintendo as the past two generations.

I disagree completely. Initial third party retail software releases were very promising. I know, I was there. It was much better than it's been in the last year or so.

VerTiGo

Banned
flyinpiranha said:
And this is where I completely see my disconnect. It may not be that the 3rd party offerings are dwindling or not there ... it's just that what I personally wanted was/is not there. I see 1 or 2 games listed on all these Wii bullet point lists that are 20-30 long that even remotely interest me.

Is there actual data that shows 3rd party support is dwindling? Less titles coming out or something? Because I'm of the belief I (we) don't see the support because it's not the games I (we) give a shit about.

The business model for third party games on the Wii is improving. The platform will not be abandoned. Games like LEGO Harry Potter, Sonic Colors, Epic Mickey, etc.. will continue to exist and prosper on the platform. Hell, even GoldenEye should do moderately well if the sales of Activision's previous FPSes on the Wii are anything to go by. And as games like Donkey Kong Country and Kirby will likely do well on the charts, expect third parties to embrace those designed philosophies on the Wii. No, not all hardcore games will work on the Wii. Yes, hardcore development as we know it will likely diminish, but third parties will continue to create what they know works on the platform.

And even if Move or Kinect do well, the kind of games that sold well on the Wii will make the transition regardless. It's not just the Wii as a platform, but the kind of consumer that the Wii has helped bring into the gaming scene, and understanding and creating/recreating succesful brands based on this consumer is important for the industry's growth as a whole.

Suzzopher

OldJadedGamer said:

No Silent Hill? No Muramassa? No A Boy and his Blob? No Tatsunoko vs Capcom? No Red Steel 2? No No More Heroes Desperate Struggle? No Sky Crawlers? No Just Dance?(hey I like it ok?)

I think the Nintendo protection agency need to come and take your Wii into care. Due to your neglect:lol

VerTiGo

Banned
Stink said:
I disagree completely. Initial third party retail software releases were very promising. I know, I was there. It was much better than it's been in the last year or so.

Such lies. 2010 has unmistakenly been the best year for third party games on the Wii. From No More Heroes 2 to Epic Mickey. It's no contest.

Also, to assume there will be a mass exodus of game development to the 3DS, Move or Natal is a bit overzealous. These are harsh economic times and with its massive install base, publishers still cannot ignore the console which offers the best value to consumers. I don't see things changing as drastically as we may think.

wazoo

VerTiGo said:
No shit. Why would we know what to expect in 2011 when the summer of 2010 has yet to finish? When did you hear about Sonic Colors, NBA Jam or GoldenEye? There's no reason to believe that development has stopped.

No talking about winter 2011, but most of the games of early 2010 were already announced way before around E3 2009. When do you think, they will announce games for the first half of 2011 ? Not at E3 this year, because everything is planned for this fall/christmas.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I disagree that 3rd parties brought this on themselves. The Wii wasn't a core gamer machine almost from the beginning. It was pitched as the family, casual machine. Of course we bought it, it's new tech with a new controller and Nintendo franchises. But at the same time 'normal' people bought it, so the user base would have been diluted from the beginning with people who aren't desperate for more games at launch.

Perhaps this meant that 3rd party titles didn't perform as well as expected as a percentage of the use base, partly due to it not conforming to the usual demographic.

Anyway, has this been that different to gamecube, or N64, or GBA, or DS? Seems to me like Nintendo are just too strong a first party, crowding out 3rd parties. At least for casuals which is a large proportion of the user base, why would you have a need to ever go outside the safe range of Nintendo titles?

Outside of Monster Hunter has any third party put forth the time, money and effort to make a decent game on the Wii so far?

wazoo

mrklaw said:
I disagree that 3rd parties brought this on themselves. The Wii wasn't a core gamer machine almost from the beginning. It was pitched as the family, casual machine. Of course we bought it, it's new tech with a new controller and Nintendo franchises. But at the same time 'normal' people bought it, so the user base would have been diluted from the beginning with people who aren't desperate for more games at launch.

Perhaps this meant that 3rd party titles didn't perform as well as expected as a percentage of the use base, partly due to it not conforming to the usual demographic.

Anyway, has this been that different to gamecube, or N64, or GBA, or DS? Seems to me like Nintendo are just too strong a first party, crowding out 3rd parties. At least for casuals which is a large proportion of the user base, why would you have a need to ever go outside the safe range of Nintendo titles?

3rd party do not like the Wii because you can not predict if a game will be a success or not. This is not the same for the HD twins (you can not avoid all surprises). Wii sold more third parties games than the others, there is more third party million sellers on the Wii, but still, they do not like it.

Mael

mrklaw said:

So what you mean is that 3rd parties suck and shouldn't be doing business anyway?

VerTiGo

Banned
wazoo said:
No talking about winter 2011, but most of the games of early 2010 were already announced way before around E3 2009. When do you think, they will announce games for the first half of 2011 ? Not at E3 this year, because everything is planned for this fall/christmas.

Nintendo has a fall press event where 2011 titles should be shown. Their own internal efforts as well as whatever 3rd party titles are in the mix, whether they're collaborations or independent 3rd party efforts. This has always been the case.

Beth Cyra

Stink said:

So was I, and you know what I remember Raving Rabbids and Red Steel, then a bunch of extremely shitty ports (Far Cry anyone?) not to mention all the 3rd parties saying how they where caught by surprise that the Wii was doing so well.

So please, share with me what titles I missed in the first year and ahalf form thid parties that are anywhere on the level of Red Steel 2, No More Hero's 2, Epic Mickey, Silent Hill, Golden Eye.

Hunahan

Banned
What? There's tons of third party support. At almost every given moment of this generation, there has been more third party games for Wii than for any other system on the market.

Let's just cut to the real question. What you're really asking is why the Wii doesn't have the next big installments of Resident Evil, GTA, JRPG XIII, Platinum Games Presents, Castlevania Of War, or whatever the hell else it is that's igniting the latest raging message-board megathreads, pixel-counting screenshot wars, and fawning, five-star video reviews.

Thing is, by the time you can sit through a thirty minute cutscene about a gender-bending ninja cyborg limping around to save a mustached, one-eyed super-soldier, you probably also cut pretty deep into the same demographic that spends large quantities of cash on electronic entertainment, buys way more HDMI cables than the per-capita average, and scorns the suggestion of physical exercise encroaching upon their grossly disproportionate interest in recreational software.

What I'm driving at is that if you were to create a ven diagram that mapped out the type of people who are actually interested in the specific types of product that are absent, I'd be willing to bet that you'd find a nearly perfect and complete overlap with the type of people who are interested in better graphics, HDTVs, realistic physics, and online play.

Nintendo's biggest success was identifying that the presumed critical mass of spaceship fantasizing, underboob-ogling, IGN-reading geeks were actually a fractional niche.

It seems pretty clear that this niche is now struggling to catch up with a moment of self-realization.

Hate it, bite it, fight it.....the answer is still, quite simply, that despite the Wii's resounding success, it has not managed, on any level, to corner the increasingly irrelevant traditional market that continually slaps $60 across all of those sweat-smeared Gamestop counters to buy this type of nerdy crap. Those folks run with a different crew.

And without them, you really can't sell Street Fighter.

Oh, I know. You, or I, or Steve, or poster #213, or whichever petition-posting collection of 2,000 people all have Wii's and we like them, and we'd buy 3rd party hardcore games, and blah blah blah whatever.

When it comes to gaming the 'core gamer-market game, the Wii is basically stuck playing the Spock goatee-wearing, inverse-world version of Kinect.

A day late and a dollar short. Just the way it is.

ymmv

Banned
wazoo said:
Even 2nd tier niche games are gone missing for 2011. That is really the problem. Wii has been a good home for all those non blokbusters games, but I see them going to 3DS. This year, the first half was quite heavy, but pretty much everything announced at E3 will be out by christmas (except a few late exceptions).

Anyway, the 1st party games alone justify the Wii2 to be delayed to 2012. Looking at the last year of the GC or N64, we have not yet reached such low outputs.

I suspect we will see a Wii2 sooner than expected and it will have a few heavy hitting launch titles that were previously announced for the Wii. Like the new Zelda. History will repeat itself.

Golden Darkness said:
It's not like third parties would even have the mentality to support Nintendo all the way. They spent the previous fifteen years targeting young males and ignoring everyone else. The concept that anyone can be a gamer is still foreign to pretty much everyone but Nintendo.

Yep. 100% on the money.

I'd like to add, though, that in my opinion, Nintendo knows their market so well, their games are hard to compete with. 3rd party fitness games are always second fiddle next to Wii Fit. It will be interesting to see how a game like Your Shape does on a platform (Kinect) where they don't have to compete with Wii Fit.
that is, of course, whether Kinect is a success or not

VerTiGo

Banned
Silver_DNA said:
Outside of Monster Hunter has any third party put forth the time, money and effort to make a decent game on the Wii so far?

Epic Mickey is the biggest third party effort to date. Sonic Colors is also a very large effort by SEGA to create the only retail Sonic game this holiday season.

Third party games that do well on Wii aren't necessarily the ones that specifically cater to the GAF hivemind nor will they ever. And frankly, its quite refreshing.

Hunahan said:
What? There's tons of third party support. At almost every given moment of this generation, there has been more third party games for Wii than for any other system on the market.

Let's just cut to the real question. What you're really asking is why the Wii doesn't have the next big installments of Resident Evil, GTA, JRPG XIII, Platinum Games Presents, Castlevania Of War, or whatever the hell else it is that's igniting the latest raging message-board megathreads, pixel-counting screenshot wars, and fawning, five-star video reviews.

Thing is, by the time you can sit through a thirty minute cutscene about a gender-bending ninja cyborg limping around to save a mustached, one-eyed super-soldier, you probably also cut pretty deep into the same demographic that spends large quantities of cash on electronic entertainment, buys way more HDMI cables than the per-capita average, and scorns the suggestion of physical exercise encroaching upon their grossly disproportionate interest in recreational software.

What I'm driving at is that if you were to create a ven diagram that mapped out the type of people who are actually interested in the specific types of product that are absent, I'd be willing to bet that you'd find a nearly perfect and complete overlap with the type of people who are interested in better graphics, HDTVs, realistic physics, and online play.

Nintendo's biggest success was identifying that the presumed critical mass of spaceship fantasizing, underboob-ogling, IGN-reading geeks were actually a fractional niche.

It seems pretty clear that this niche is now struggling to catch up with a moment of self-realization.

Hate it, bite it, fight it.....the answer is still, quite simply, that despite the Wii's resounding success, it has not managed, on any level, to corner the increasingly irrelevant traditional market that continually slaps $60 across all of those sweat-smeared Gamestop counters to buy this type of nerdy crap. Those folks run with a different crew.

And without them, you really can't sell Street Fighter.

Oh, I know. You, or I, or Steve, or poster #213, or whichever petition-posting collection of 2,000 people all have Wii's and we like them, and we'd buy 3rd party hardcore games, and blah blah blah whatever.

When it comes to gaming the 'core gamer-market game, the Wii is basically stuck playing the Spock goatee-wearing, inverse-world version of Kinect.

A day late and a dollar short. Just the way it is.

One day I hope to have the type of writing finess as someone like you.

Extremely awesomely well spoken, humorous, to the point, and 100% truth.

I never type this, but:

/thread.

VerTiGo said:
Epic Mickey is the biggest third party effort to date. Sonic Colors is also a very large effort by SEGA to create the only retail Sonic game this holiday season.

Third party games that do well on Wii aren't necessarily the ones that specifically cater to the GAF hivemind nor will they ever. And frankly, its quite refreshing.

Both of those games aren't out yet. The track record for quality is a bit, shall we say, lacking.

wazoo

ymmv said:
I suspect we will see a Wii2 sooner than expected and it will have a few heavy hitting launch titles that were previously announced for the Wii. Like the new Zelda. History will repeat itself.

I doubt it. Zelda TP was pretty much alone and late on the GC, even before being delayed. I think Iwata wants Wii Relax to have its chance and just releasing the few JRPGs on the Wii in 2011 would delay Wii2 a bit.

The interesting part for me is how the hardware sales will be after Wii2 announcement. Both ps1 and ps2 sold a lot after their successor being uncovered or even releases, both GC and N64 and Xbox were halted and killed over night. Where the Wii will go is unknown ?

Beth Cyra

Silver_DNA said:
Both of those games aren't out yet. The track record for quality is a bit, shall we say, lacking.

What games are you talking about? Real efforts we have seen on the platform like RE UB/DSC? Dead Space Extraction? No More Hero's 1/2? Silent Hill Shattered Memories?

There have been plenty of great third party games on the platform over the last year or two. Just because they don't sell doesn't mean that there hasn't been any.

Top Bottom