• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC VR - Hardware, Software, Recommendations & Discussion Thread

Wonko_C

So I guess I should post about this since it released but I couldn't care less about it hence the delay for it. Regardless of the user reviews (some them will probably be fixed as they complain it doesn't work right on this or that VR kit, they'll probably patch it all soon enough, or not, they didn't even care to put a trailer on the page) it's just a retread, without the co-op element of the original and I don't even personally think BL's bullet sponge gameplay lends itself well to VR without significant retooling of every aspect if there was ever going to be a real from the ground up BLVR game.

Edit: so dodgy Gearbox itself says they "accidentally" showed Index support for the game and they don't confirm a patch is coming. What a shit show...

Anocher rushjob just like the PSVR version, they havent fixed the headache inducing stutter when looking around in that version.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Fucking fabulous, I never expected that. I will need to try it out.
Thanks for the crow, it was delicious :messenger_beaming:
I think that's the old deprecated mod, not the new one which doesn't appear to do hand tracking. Maybe some day.

Anocher rushjob just like the PSVR version, they havent fixed the headache inducing stutter when looking around in that version.
Yes, I just tried it out of curiocity, it's pretty badly done. You can't skip any of the cut scenes, you'll have to watch every single stupid one even if you've played the game before. You have to press (or hold) a button to enter "aiming mode" for decent accuracy which then restricts your movement, it basically works exactly like the flat version, it makes no difference how you hold a weapon, only if you're in "aiming mode" or not. Your off hand also makes no difference in how you wield the larger guns, you only use that "aiming mode" regardless of your off hand's position. The scoped weapons "aiming mode" brings up a 2D zoomed in window in mid-air that also runs at like 10 fps while the rest of the game continues running normally, wtf was that, lol (they appear to know it's bullshit and give you the option to not have any zoom, just the same "aiming mode" the weapons without scopes have). Hell, it might be better to just play it with a normal gamepad and only have head tracking than deal with these things. It's not like it even feels like aiming and shooting as the visible crosshair are a must the way the guns look & behave so you'll just be hip firing and using that "aiming mode" for extra accuracy regardless of how you're holding the gun. It could have been a good port with some effort.

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member
Huh, so we're getting 2 Ghostbuster/Luigis Mansion like VR games in October :pie_thinking:

Monster Reapers VR
You play as a Reaper who was sent out to hunt down monsters who have invaded the land. Visit haunted locations filled with all sorts of strange beings. No run will be the same due to procedurally generated levels and a multitude of ability upgrades.

Spectro
Spectro is a first person, ghost-busting, roguelike built exclusively for VR. Trap ghosts, dodge spells, loot chests, find hidden items, and explore an infinitely shifting haunted tower. Can you get to the top and return with the Mask of Okeem?

Last edited:

Alexios

Sairento is not my thing but it's an old favorite for many VR users and it just got a new update that adds 2 maps and other more minor stuff.
90da9032fac2611eec1d99ee50f9611edd6de12b.jpg
abcfb3c400f5d2ae61083fd1322bd5265971bbcd.jpg

And a couple more tidbits from Boiling Steel, Journey for Elysium and Monster Reapers.

Last edited:

Alexios

I found this thing while twitter crawling the other day. It looks interesting.

Also Reiko's Fragments got in early access and Boiling Steel is coming soon.

Last edited:

Alexios

During the launch day stream on November 14 at 1:00 pm ET / 10:00 am PT, you’ll be able to follow along with the Insomniac team on Twitch, Facebook, and Twitter. And today, Insomniac Games Lead VFX Artist Yancy Young shares some of his background and the part he played in shaping Stormland.
I'm a stealth guy, so while the game has a lot of awesome things going on, I think my favorite part is strategizing how to handle dangerous Tempest combat sequences. We have a really cool array of enemy types from short-range Assault Troopers that can close the distance with shotguns, to long-range sniper enemies that blend into the world. The situation when approaching Tempest enemies both in and out of their strongholds is not always what it seems. Players will need to use all of their robotic senses to ensure they’re ready when the bullets start to fly!

Alexios

More Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners stuff! This game came out of nowhere and is looking really promising (see the video at the top of this page too if you missed it). Hopefully the other Walking Dead game by Survios ends up good too but this so far looks better.

And this adventure game is releasing tomorrow, it looks pretty decent (but I hate when devs have part of the arm visible, either do full arms with inverse kinematics or hands-only please, a part of the arm in an all wrong position doesn't look right when you play).

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Playing Blade and Sorcery on the index is fun but just makes me wish we had a fully featured open world VRRPG. I guess skyrim would count but I hear it doesn't support index fully (or something).

Unfortunately the install base for VR can't support the types of games I want to play in VR. These small indie offerings show the potential though.

Romulus

Playing Blade and Sorcery on the index is fun but just makes me wish we had a fully featured open world VRRPG. I guess skyrim would count but I hear it doesn't support index fully (or something).

Unfortunately the install base for VR can't support the types of games I want to play in VR. These small indie offerings show the potential though.

Asgard's Wrath is a step in the right direction. Probably the biggest budget and best reviews thus far for an VRRPG.

Last edited:

Alexios

This looks promising, missed it on announcement ~20 days ago, just spotted it while twitter crawling.

This just came out, we'll see if people think it's a good one or not soon enough. Their last game was received well enough.

Last edited:

Alexios

Oh hell yes! A very promising Onward update today! I'm especially excited about finally having something co-op related with the new AI! I was starting to think they no longer care and only focus on the PVP aspect like all other VR FPS games. Hopefully it's only the beginning. Plus Workshop stuff!

Last edited:

Alexios

Panther VR reached its funding goal earlier. No tweet/post/whatever about it yet, I saw it first - :p - they're not making any of their stretch goals sadly but as long as the core of the game is good and it does well the concept could be expanded later maybe. Edit: tweed edited in later!

Last edited:

Knch

Panther VR reached its funding goal earlier. No tweet/post/whatever about it yet, I saw it first - :p - they're not making any of their stretch goals sadly but as long as the core of the game is good and it does well the concept could be expanded later maybe.

Great, I'm out 60 euro soon then... (and yes, I blame you :p )

Alexios

Node got to play Saints & Sinners!

And of course they go on an NPC killing spree. LOL.

Journey for Elysium just released too.

Alongside some other VR games as usual but you can check those out yourself, not much of it speaks to me personally.

And more Pistol Whip stuff. I'm only posting the official media since every other youtuber has his hands on it and there are tons of videos so I'd only be posting about this game if I posted those too.

Last edited:

Alexios

Holoception and Vengeful Rites got some big updates today. Happy for the former especially, it sorely needs the attention but the developers have been great with responding to feedback!

Alexios

This could be fun (or a total mess). Hopefully the Sid Meier's Pirates! in VR I've been wanting (but other fancy VR pirate games were small scale arena stuff).

Last edited:

Alexios

And a couple new releases, a SPT style game and a cute Halloweeny thingie, sequel to a freebie most people had enjoyed.

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

I had forgotten this thing was still in early access, it looks like they're finishing it up finally (the same dudes are also working on Zero Caliber concurrently). Personally I liked this game's feel more than Arizona Sunshine's though neither was as good as I hoped (Saints & Sinners is what I need).

This could be worth a play for some casual fun, it looks like a total of about ~20 if you buy all the DLC rides. But only if they're really good, each being cheap on its own isn't enticing enough if the quality isn't there. Still, when I went through the underwater ride in Summer Funland I wished there were more cool rides like that to have something to demo VR with to non-gamers. Things like that (only that one ride was amazing) and theBlu software are cool for such purposes but there's not much else. Anyway, I have no idea if this is any good or not, I'm just saying, since it just came out.

Last edited:

Alexios

Yay, it's up, I've been furiously refreshing the pages and it's finally there. One final week to wait for it!
During the launch day stream on November 14 at 1:00 pm ET / 10:00 am PT, you’ll be able to follow along with the Insomniac team as they play on Twitch, Facebook, and Twitter. In the meantime, here’s what Oculus Studios Executive Producer David Yee had to say.
My most favorite mechanic for Stormland is harvesting. Breaking apart a weapon or collecting plants is a really tactile way of interacting with the world, and it felt pretty good from the very beginning. I can remember first trying the feature and breaking all of my weapons to the point where I had nothing to use during the play session because I would snap everything in half as soon as I got it.

A lot of VR talks about presence as a visual thing. For me, tactile moments where you interact with the world and have it respond to your touch—in a way that just makes sense—is equally, if not more, important for convincing players that they’re being transported to another world.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
I am really digging the ramp up for VR. I have quite a few games but most of them are all really short. I'm trying to finish Kronos and Asgard's Wraith (which is the longest VR game so far). Most of my VR experience is in DCS World. I absolutely love being able to fly jet fighters and it feels so real.

Alexios

The discount is only for a week (and it's Steam so you can always try it and refund if you don't find it promising regardless of the early access unfinished state).

Last edited:

Knch

The discount is only for a week (and it's Steam so you can always try it and refund if you don't find it promising regardless of the early access unfinished state).
Tried it, surprised the locomotion didn't make me motion sick, so that's a plus. But backpedaling is too damned slow to keep you (ok me) from dying and I really don't like fake bodies, especially when they block my view and I seem to have no neck at all.

Alexios

More Beat Saber DLC, Rocket League collab.
This came out too.

Tried it, surprised the locomotion didn't make me motion sick, so that's a plus. But backpedaling is too damned slow to keep you (ok me) from dying and I really don't like fake bodies, especially when they block my view and I seem to have no neck at all.
Yes the hand movement was quite janky too, it seemed to stall a bit compared to your real hands and the inverse kinematics/physics somehow stopping them from being at just the right position. I hope they improve on these basics. It has potential I think.

Last edited:

Alexios

Getting other stuff out of the way before Boneworks hype.
Also the new/final Wolves in the Walls chapter is out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom