• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC VR - Hardware, Software, Recommendations & Discussion Thread

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I guess this means the early access The SoulKeeper VR is dead (as it seemed). They do give this to owners of that (bought before January 10) so that's good, though it doesn't seem wise to then develop two games in one as they make the non VR version third person with different systems. But it sure looks promising!

The SoulKeeper®: Chronicles is a dark fantasy open world RPG featuring three single player campaigns, each with a different protagonist with different gameplay mechanics, different but intertwining storylines, in three different large scale open world areas.

Play as a wise Lavordian monk named Isoropos, skilled in the art of magic, a broken but formidable Bethandrian ranger named Edwyn, or as Ulvar, a cold and calculated raider hailing from the frozen Baknochtarn north.

The SoulKeeper®: Chronicles is being developed from the ground up both for traditional PC gaming as well as for VR. The non-VR version will feature a 3rd person camera, whereas the VR version will be played in 1st person. Each version comes with the same storyline, characters, quests but different gameplay mechanics and different performance optimizations.

The SoulKeeper®: Chronicles is story-driven with a heavy emphasis on player choices affecting the story's development. The game features three campaigns, each with its own protagonist. Each of the protagonists has a different skillset with different gameplay mechanics, while each one of them ventures in a different open world environment. Each one of the protagonists also has a different story line, each of which start independently from each other, only to later in the game intertwine and affect each other's outcome. Players can have meaningful interactions with the world, whether it is through the main quests or the side quests, while the world will be full of interactive side activities, including hunting, enjoying good company in taverns and more. The game also features fully controllable dragons, horses as well as ships, all of which can be used both for traveling as well as combat.

We are a small sized independent game development studio, and your support is the most important contribution to our work. Please take a moment to join our mailing list on the official website, as well as follow us on our social media. Thank you!!

Official website: https://www.thesoulkeeper.com
Game Twitter: https://twitter.com/SoulKeeperGame
Developer Twitter: https://twitter.com/HELMSystems

NOTE: If you have purchased & own The SoulKeeper® VR Early Access on Steam before January 10th, 2020, then you will be entitled to receive a free copy of The SoulKeeper®: Chronicles upon its release. More details on how to claim your free copy, will become available when approaching release.
Lots of VR games on the winter sale, my twitter feed is full of VR devs announcing they're also part of it.

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member

Last edited:

Bootzilla

Banned
For once I don't have time to play all the high profile VR releases coming out. I'm still working my way through Asgard's Wrath and Stormland and now Pistol Whip and Boneworks are out and I need to clear my plate.

Alexios

Holoception has a demo now. If anyone tries it let us know how it is. I was hyped for it but similar to Boneworks (and before it) the physics based body stuff made it quite clunky.
However, this being early access, they seem to have done many many and often cool looking updates to it since then, I just haven't yet tried it again to see how much it improved.

And this released. I don't usually post about all the random cheap/free stuff but this has some nice reviews already (and looks pretty neat, like Glyph and Old Town Stories did before).

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member

Meat Fortress just got better

I might get that Clash of chefs game. :messenger_grinning_squinting: I actually enjoyed the cooking part in Job Simulator and Cooking Simulator VR is not out yet

Alexios

Also this released but it doesn't look like my kind of thing. We'll see if that concept has merit by the first user reviews perhaps.

I had not seen this before but it looks like a very promising little project:

Older media can be seen on their YouTube channel:

Really polished presentation wise, especially in world design, though combat looks a bit too waggly still.

Last edited:

MDSLKTR

Anyone knows when oculus app store winter sale begins? Every other store has one now except them and I need games :/

Alexios

Anyone knows when oculus app store winter sale begins? Every other store has one now except them and I need games :/
What do you mean? They've had it going a couple days with a focus on daily deals. Though you can buy all your VR games on Steam just as well of course, you don't have to wait for an Oculus sale.
If you mean specific Oculus "first party" games like Lone Echo, you missed out on that and others being ~15 off recently, Drop Dead was the first daily deal on this sale too but I dunno how much off.

Last edited:

Bootzilla

Banned
Their sales have been really stingy this year. We never know in advance when they're happening, but don't expect much.

Which is a shame, because Oculus' first party content is a lot of the best stuff in VR. Asgard's Wrath and Lone Echo are for sure the high bar for VR right now, and there's a lot of other interesting titles as well, like Stormland, Wilson's Heart, and Robo Recall.

Stitch

Gold Member
oh wow I was really suprised when it started downloading almost 12 GB

Alexios

Yeah I meant first party oculus games like robo recall . Didn't see the outgoing sale has different deals weekly , thanks.
Lone Echo is today's daily, 15 off again (37% off, deepest sale yet for the second time ever - afaik).
Robo Recall is also 15% off.
And they added more of their crazy expensive bundle stuff and more sales.
Last reminder since you were asking specifically for such titles and people are often on the fence, I won't post every sale change or anything. And again for posterity there are cool VR stuff on the Steam sale too (and often times but not always cheaper than on the Oculus Store if it's the same).

Last edited:

Alexios

You missed the pevious Node footage?
Ok, did not expect much, but that's disturbingly well done.
You missed the previous Node footage? Somehow the game looks rad when they show it off with actual people playing yet not so good in their scripted trailers (especially the latest dodgy one).

Last edited:

Alexios

This isn't even close to the Quest version yet but nice to see it's happening at all.

Last edited:

Alexios

Happy 2020!!! IRON REBELLION IS LIVE ON STEAM!

OH and 220 new beta keys below. Nab em fast!
https://discord.gg/gzzacPw
Not actually live-live, just the Steam page is what this guy meant I guess. Looks like a nice Hawken-like mech game, we'll how it fares vs Vox Machinae.

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member
Dash Dash: World looks great. Much better than Touring Karts...

Also great to see that the Dev is still working on Fast and Low. Definitely something I want to play one day. I mean I wish it would look less like Wallace & Gromit, but hey it's pretty much SWAT in VR and no one else seems to try that. (I think?)

Stitch

Gold Member

Variable Rate Supersampling (VRSS) is a new technique to improve image quality in VR games. It uses NVIDIA Variable Rate Shading (VRS), a key feature in NVIDIA’s Turing architecture, to dynamically apply up to 8x supersampling to the center of the VR headset display, where the eye is generally focused. It intelligently applies supersampling only when GPU headroom is available in order to maintain the VR headset’s fixed FPS and ensure a smooth VR experience.

Compared to alternative techniques that supersample the entire screen with large hits to frame rate, VRSS’s adaptive use of Variable Rate Shading boosts image quality while staying about the typical 90Hz fixed refresh rate of the VR headset. In the VR game Boneworks, VRSS keeps FPS above 90, whereas a fullscreen 4x supersample drops frame rates to unplayable levels.

Last edited:

Alexios

Doesn't seem like anything that new, games already utilize fixed foveated rendering to have the center at high res and the peripheral vision at low res (and I turn that off when possible, I'd rather everywhere my eyes may focus on to look good so until eye tracking becomes an affordable thing in consumer headsets I won't care for foveated rendering stuff). I never cared for dynamic res stuff myself either, I'd rather set the game to have consistent fixed quality across all scenarios rather than have it look fucking amazing in a low intensity situation and then like a mess when shit hits the fan (as two extreme examples). Also don't have Turing card anyway :p

Stitch

Gold Member
Doesn't seem like anything that new, games already utilize fixed foveated rendering to have the center at high res and the peripheral vision at low res

It's not low res, it's the same res just with no AA applied to the peripheral vision. So everything looks fine but center looks the best.
Seems to look and work fine but I only tested it for a few minutes in H3VR and Boneworks.

Alexios

Yeah, that's what supersampling AA is, higher res than native rendering. Until we have eye tracking to apply it wherever we may look I'd rather have the consistency of the whole screen being supersampled if I can afford it, or not at all if I can't. Also the same throughout not dynamic. It's just me.

Last edited:

Alexios

Probably too early access for now but we'll see how it develops.

Last edited:

Alexios

Lots more cool Blade & Sorcery stuff coming. Do click the link, gifs and pics and stuffs.

Last edited:

Alexios

Boiling Steel has a free demo now. Not sure if it's any different if you get it from its own page or just click download demo from the game page. Probably not.

Ah well, gaf doesn't care for VR yet, maybe I should be posting such to change it.

Last edited:

Alexios

Another small but good patch for one of my favorites, Onward.
Reposting the link cos they've added more articles since: various VR(ish) news from CES, some cool bits here and there with tiny super high res/hdr screens, low profile (but also low capability) VR goggles, new premium/business Pimax and Xtal models etc., but probably little that affects the average consumer in the near future.

Last edited:

Alexios

Pico Neo 2/2 Eye has been discussed but I had no idea about their tracking solution. The ring-less controllers should have raised questions! It sounds pretty good/cool/novel. So, yeah, the headset only seems to have two cameras like WMR or other low end sets, but they're not used for that!
neo2-1-1.jpg

neo2-2-1.jpg

It's still a business geared headset and there's a problem with the battery life (a few hours max it seems) but it's pretty exciting for the future, maybe we'll some day get Index-level room scale tracking without the need for base stations or even cameras inside the HMDs (except for including them for AR/passthrough and stuff obviously). It's probably a pretty good glimpse of the future, later Quest iterations and actual competitor models too, with that packed-in eye tracking and stuff it already offers.

9 days left to wait for some Saints & Sinners zombie killing fun (contest is region locked, dunno where, but I can't enter).

Last edited:

Alexios

This looks pretty promising with dynamic speedy locomotion and chaotic combat.
A trailer is now on the Steam page (it was just screenshots previously). I believe the (solo) developer intends to kickstart this soon hence the unfinished state shown for much of it.
This was previously only on the Oculus store (a region locked freebie, hopefully it won't only be available for British folk or something on Steam too, come on BBC).

Last edited:

Vlodril

So i got a psvr for my brother and was really impressed when we tried it out. I am looking now to buy a pc vr system. So i am between the Index (better quality and controllers) and the occulus rift s (tracking on the headset and much cheaper). Would the controllers and a bit better quality make the extra money worth it for the Index or should i go with the rift? If anyone has tried them both.

Alexios

It's just not the controllers so much as the resolution, hz and everything else that come with it. If you have the money to burn go for Index, if you're gonna cry over it when looking at your account savings afterwards then go for the S.

Last edited:

gifgaf

So i got a psvr for my brother and was really impressed when we tried it out. I am looking now to buy a pc vr system. So i am between the Index (better quality and controllers) and the occulus rift s (tracking on the headset and much cheaper). Would the controllers and a bit better quality make the extra money worth it for the Index or should i go with the rift? If anyone has tried them both.

It's just not the controllers so much as the resolution, hz and everything else that come with it. If you have the money to burn go for Index, if you're gonna cry over it when looking at your account savings afterwards then go for the S.
There is also the tracking system to take into consideration. With the index you have to have two lighthouse tracking boxes fitted to the opposite sides of the room to track, its rock solid tracking. I don't have an Index yet, im in a queue waiting since they are all sold out, February I think.

The Rift S is not limited by external sensors and can easily be moved around from pc to pc or different areas. For example, my living room has an open space where my lighthouses/Rift Sensors are setup and my Vive or Rift CV1 is limited to that area only. Where with the Rift S I can move it easily outside that area and sit on my sofa if I want to sit comfortably and chill or I can unplug it and plug it into my sons pc upstairs without external sensors and with minimal fuss. The tracking on the Rift S is very good though and even though its not Lighthouse good, its much better than PSVR.

I think that is an underated plus on the Rift S and the Quest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom