• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC VR - Hardware, Software, Recommendations & Discussion Thread

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Yeah, static shooter at that. Distortion has simpler graphics but free locomotion at least. Edit: recent cool stuff for the new page (having to choose 10 sucks, check the last page for a ton more varied stuff pls):

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:

Wonko_C

i dont like vr, could accidentaly destroy something in house when i wave hands/move. lol
Plenty of games you can enjoy sitting on the couch with a standard controller, especially on PSVR: I have Astrobot, Wipeout Omega, Tetris Effect, Resident Evil 7, Pixel Ripped 1989, Pinball FX2 VR, No Man's Sky, Everybody's Golf VR, Moss, Super Stardust Ultra, Skyrim VR, Rez Infinite, Zone of the Enders MARS, Driveclub VR, Dirt Rally, all of those can be played with the dualshock.

Last edited:

wondermega

running SteamVR, and I really want to completely disable the chaperone system (don't want to see the floor either). I downloaded the Advanced Settings, but they seem to be ignored when I try to zero out the visibility/etc. Also tried editing the chaperone config file, but this still doesn't work. Anyone have any suggestions?

Alexios

Sorry, dunno, I have Oculus and its boundaries take precedence over Steam chaperones even in SteamVR games and can be turned off (but I really don't advice that).

Knch

Is it just me or does this look way better than the initial release?
(Anyone know if you can disable the body that just got in the way at initial release?)

[URL='https://steamcommunity.com/ogg/1012790/announcements/detail/2754443176873601269']Patch Ver 0.7.694[/URL] said:
  • Changed obsolete Neck Length to Neck Offset in options.It changes how much your body is moved down or up from camera. Default to 0 (personally prefer -5)

So, maybe?

Someone updated the not-shit-mod?! \o/

Last edited:

Alexios

This one's not a great video, they are being silly. D is playing through the game normally if you want to c.

And another pair of Boneworks adverticles (from the same damn site), shit's getting annoying:
I replied there, you can see it if they don't delete it (it's just honest, if annoyed, not excessively offensive).

Last edited:

Alexios

Patch notes for the next Saints & Sinners patch (not yet out).
Attention Tourists, we’ve got some news from the Bayou. Though not ready just yet, Hotfix #3 is soon upon us. A preview of what will be included is below. Stay tuned here! You’ll be the FIRST to know when it’s ready to go live.

We value your feedback and want to say thank you to the community members that are helping us to improve the game experience for all players.

Pre-release notes for Hotfix #3
  • Physical Crouch improvements
  • Fixed an issue with non-ANSI Window usernames that prevented bindings and other files to not be read correctly
  • Chaperone should now appear correctly
  • Gun angle adjustment option
  • “Disable All Vignettes” option
  • Controller deadzone defaults
  • Progression break fixes for quests
  • Nausea vignette goes to zero!
  • All achievements should now unlock properly
  • In some instances, NPCs didn’t fire when they should have. Now they should -- so be careful!
  • Vive: fixed Crouch hint to say “Up” instead of “Down”
  • Various crash fixes
  • Art and animation polish
  • Various performance optimizations
  • Plus a little something extra...

Thank you for playing our game!
And just to pad this post here's part 3 of D's playthrough I mentioned in the last post. This game is fucking fantastic and this video does a decent job showing it off. Skip around when there are story bits to avoid spoilers.

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member
Oh wow the GTA V mod actually works with Vive and Index now. I thought it was still Oculus exclusive. I have to try this :D

Alexios

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Alexios

Hand tracking or go home to (almost) all mods. He's not at least decoupling mouse aiming from his head, is he aiming with his head? I posted this before but the tweet was deleted for some reason, the youtube video remains though (also, relevant).

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member
No idea.

I tried the GTA V mod today and aiming with the head is a bit weird at first but actually works very nice especially while you're driving :messenger_sunglasses:

Alexios

For some reason, Moss on the Oculus store appeared to be free for me, even though visiting the store page online doesn't show it as free and I see no announcement regarding this whatsoever on oculus/dev twitter/blog. Check your Oculus apps and see folks, it's a cool little game worth having.

Edit: so it was a store mistake, it was only meant to be on discount as it showed on the webpage. I hope Oculus compensates them for this error (although it may have been a mistake on their part rather than on Oculus, I dunno, but it showed discounted online) because the game is worth buying.

Last edited:

Alexios

Yay, Saints & Sinners patch, it should be pretty smooth sailing for more people now (already was for me).

Last edited:

Alexios

That looks a lot like holoception minus the third person camera. I need to try that one again, see if they've made the controls less bonewonks. As long as it plays great and is fun. Weapon crafting looks fun/ny.

Last edited:

Alexios

Last edited:
I decided to look into VR and I haven't found it worth buying yet.

Cons:

Picture quality is still bad and there's still the issue of the screen door effect.

There are some if not most VR games on PC that don't allow the use of controllers or mouse and keyboard where I'd rather use them.(ex. Skyrim VR). The PS4 version does but why not PC?

This is how I'd rather see VR used in certain games:

Pros:

It's still somewhat immersive despite the poor picture quality. I can easily see it being used really good in tactical shooters like Squad and ArmA 3 if they had official support and still allowed me to use my mouse and keyboard.

-----

Right now I'd rather have a 3 way monitor setup with TrackIR

Last edited:

Alexios

Did you look at a lot of 2015 Oculus pre-release dev kit hardware videos with hackjobs to support this or that not-made-for-VR game during your time taken to "look into" VR? Like that one you embedded in your post? I do hope not, it doesn't really represent the state of VR as it stands, even for non-VR games.

VorpX allows you to play loads of non-VR games in VR with just headtracking if that's your thing so you basically already have your ideal form of VR right there. As for picture quality you can get higher res/fov sets like Index, Pimax, XTAL and naturally every new year brings higher resolution models to market.

However, thankfully most VR developers are going all in with hand tracking and offer unparalleled immersing experiences with next level gameplay, not relegate VR to being Track IR v2. If there ever is an actual ARMA VR it would be so disappointing to not see it incorporate elements of Onward & VTOL VR :)

After all, cockpit games like DCS and DiRT Rally and Elite Dangerous and recent IL-2 Sturmovik games and their expansions support VR but do it in that same barebones vorpX style manner which, fitting as it is for cockpits, is barely talked about compared to all in with tracking games like Saints & Sinners.

Last edited:

Knch

Picture quality is still bad and there's still the issue of the screen door effect.

Valve index looks amazing and I haven't noticed the screen door effect at all compared to the Vive.

There are some if not most VR games on PC that don't allow the use of controllers or mouse and keyboard where I'd rather use them.(ex. Skyrim VR). The PS4 version does but why not PC?

Because PC has motion controls that actually work? Actually throwing a fireball is a lot more fun than pressing a button. Throwing two fireballs at two different targets is even more fun and apparently not possible with a controller. (Referencing Up is not Down's review here, as I haven't gotten to Skyrim VR yet :p)

Valve index looks amazing and I haven't noticed the screen door effect at all compared to the Vive.

Because PC has motion controls that actually work? Actually throwing a fireball is a lot more fun than pressing a button. Throwing two fireballs at two different targets is even more fun and apparently not possible with a controller. (Referencing Up is not Down's review here, as I haven't gotten to Skyrim VR yet :p)
This is possible on PSVR though (with Move Controllers!).

Alexios

He said not possible with a controller, not PSVR. Move tracking is still sub par and lacks convenional inputs like analog sticks requiring wonky work arounds for those functions for games that even attempt to utilize two of those for dual hand tracking (and aren't almost on rails like Blood & Truth).

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member
Space Channel 5 is coming to PSVR on February 25 and coming soon to PC

So this could be next month or next year haha

UP DOWN UP DOWN CHU CHU CHU
I was already terrible at this game on a controller

I never said it wasn't, I only called it shit. :p
It's... okay... I'd say... I'm still too poor to get a beefy enough PC setup plus a good VR-Option for the Holy Grail of Now-Gen-VR, but the PSVR+Move-Lollipops is a good cheapo-substitute. And I CAN throw those fireballs in Skyrim... bidirectional :p

Knch

It's... okay... I'd say... I'm still too poor to get a beefy enough PC setup plus a good VR-Option for the Holy Grail of Now-Gen-VR, but the PSVR+Move-Lollipops is a good cheapo-substitute. And I CAN throw those fireballs in Skyrim... bidirectional :p
Peasant fireballs with peasant aim... :p (I kid, have fun!)

Why the fuck would I want to stand up and play video games?

If I payed $1000 I'd say the same thing.

The primaX 8k VR headset is 4k resolution in both screens and it stills comes nowhere near the quality of a of a regular monitor.

Last edited:

Knch

Why the fuck would I want to stand up and play video games?

Because you're not a lazy cunt?

If I payed $1000 I'd say the same thing.

The primaX 8k VR headset is 4k resolution in both screens and it stills comes nowhere near the quality of a of a regular monitor.
EUR 1079, paid in cash the moment it released, no regrets. I also wonder what kind of magical unicorn 8K monitors you're used to...

Romulus

I decided to look into VR and I haven't found it worth buying yet.

Cons:

This is how I'd rather see VR used in certain games:

Pros:

It's still somewhat immersive despite the poor picture quality. I can easily see it being used really good in tactical shooters like Squad and ArmA 3 if they had official support and still allowed me to use my mouse and keyboard.

-----

Right now I'd rather have a 3 way monitor setup with TrackIR

VR is "somewhat immersive"? I've never had a anyone say that of the people that I've demoed it too. It's the absolute pinnacle of immersion in games. The 3 screen setup doesn't even hold a candle in immersion, pro race car drivers will tell you that in a heartbeat. It's not even close.

Wonko_C

If only I didn't have most of them...

...fuck it.

3XNGT-YEDX8-QDF3Z

Be nice and leave a message if you've claimed it, could not be arsed to use the giveaway stuff... :p
That's awesome, thanks! I don't have a PCVR headset nor a PC that can handle it but I'm going to get me a beefy PC and headset for Microsoft Flight Simulator.

I intended to pick just one but I uh... out of curiosity clicked them all and ended up hoarding them in the process. Still haven't redeemed GORN and Budget Cuts so if you're not ok with me having them all I'll post the codes here. (I was expecting some lurker already grabbed them all TBH. :messenger_grinning_sweat:)

Last edited:

Wonko_C

At least Gorn won't put you to sleep like FS will... :p
FS is more like a job to me because I am in charge of the upkeep of my friend's PC and simulators, (who is the FS maniac but does not know anything about computers) so I have to keep up with the everchanging world of flight simulators since it's a nice source of extra income.

Over time I've grown interested in the stuff on a casual level. It does help a bit that I liked Pilotwings on SNES, N64 and Ultrawings on PSVR. Or maybe I've always had the bug and it was just reawakened? :messenger_face_screaming:

Seriously though, thanks again!

Last edited:

INC

Unpopular opinion, saints and sinners is awful

Arm and weight physics are horrific, and instantly makes me not want to spend a minute playing it

Top Bottom