• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk the logistics a Gameboy Classic Edition

mnannola

How does the Game Boy Micro fit in to this:

RK42dVG.jpg

Was this thing usable/comfortable? Would be awesome to have something this small with a bunch of old game boy games on it.

Nategc20

Banned
I'm almost certain the Gameboy classic,Gameboy color, and the Gameboy advance will all have their own iterations of a "classic" system. Way too many titles to choose from for Nintendo alone to condense them all together.

Farmboy

Take the iconic brick as base. Make it slightly smaller and thinner, but use the full screen size, doing away with the huge gray border (enable a classic mode that recreates the border on-screen, for purists).

Make the screen backlit. Enable GBC colors and include GBC-only games. Enable linking (prefably wireless but I can understand requiring a cable), Tetris and Pokémon won't be complete without it.

Ideally add a HDMI out. Hybrid!

Was this thing usable/comfortable? Would be awesome to have something this small with a bunch of old game boy games on it.
I love mines. It's absolutely a fantastic hardware right at the end of the cycle.

AND it's got swappable faceplates!

I would include GBC titles, and include wifi or bluetooth link capability.

Put Pokemon RBY and GSC with some form of Pokemon Bank connection on it and they'd never stop selling.

The SNES launched at $200, so $80 for the SNES Classic was never really going to turn that many heads.

A GB Classic being more expensive than the original isn't a great look.

true, but if it had a rechargeable battery, backlight, and 20+ loaded games, I think people would overlook it. Man, it would be perfect for parents wanting a "road trip pacifier". Switch is a bit too expensive to just hand over to really young kids, plus it has detachable parts than can be lost. An $80 GB classic you could just hand over and forget it.

chrono01

If Nintendo wanted to go all in on the nostalgia they could go with the GB Pocket form factor and make it black and white, but it makes sense to lump the GB and GB Color together, so that GB Color games can be included, and so the GB Color type of form factor makes the most sense.

For playability sake I think the product has got to be backlit with GBA SP+ quality backlighting, even though none of the GameBoys ever had such a backlit screen.

Pokemon has got to be included in this product and a major part of the gameplay of Pokemon is trading, so a link cable has got to be included in the product.

I'd be much more excited about a new Gameboy with a high quality backlit screen than I was for the NES and SNES Classic (and I was pretty excited about those).

The underplayed hidden gem Mole Mania is a must include game.
THANK YOU!

I came into this topic just to suggest this game. I'm glad to see that it was already mentioned.

THANK YOU!

I came into this topic just to suggest this game. I'm glad to see that it was already mentioned.

Mole Mania gets so little shine, especially considering it's a Miyamoto game.

To be honest, a sequel would have been so perfect for the DS. Each screen could have represented terraineous and subterranean views of the level.

Rlan

DFAkP7sUIAECaLI.jpg

DFA4Y7TUMAA_kBB.jpg

My guess: These games. Have numerous versions of the console - one Red, One Blue, One Yellow determining the version of Pokemon is on it.

If they were to do a Game Boy Mini, they'd almost definitely have a Game Boy Color mini later on. Hense many "missing" titles.

Pokemon Gold / Silver
Zelda: Oracle Of Ages / Seasons
Wario Land 2 / 3
Pokemon Pinball
Mario Bros Deluxe
Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel
Mega Man Xtreme
Donkey Kong Country
And the other handful of Kirby games on the system.

chrono01

Mole Mania gets so little shine, especially considering it's a Miyamoto game.

To be honest, a sequel would have been so perfect for the DS. Each screen could have represented terraineous and subterranean views of the level.
Yeah, it was one of my most wanted potential sequels for the DS, shame it never happened. :(

Mole Mania definitely deserves more recognition than it receives. I remember purchasing it way back when it was released, because it was a "Miyamoto game" and it looked interesting. Needless to say, I wasn't disappointed. Such a unique and fun little title.

DFAkP7sUIAECaLI.jpg

DFA4Y7TUMAA_kBB.jpg

My guess: These games. Have numerous versions of the console - one Red, One Blue, One Yellow determining the version of Pokemon is on it.

If they were to do a Game Boy Mini, they'd almost definitely have a Game Boy Color mini later on. Hense many "missing" titles.

Pokemon Gold / Silver
Zelda: Oracle Of Ages / Seasons
Wario Land 2 / 3
Pokemon Pinball
Mario Bros Deluxe
Metal Gear Solid Ghost Babel
Mega Man Xtreme
Donkey Kong Country
And the other handful of Kirby games on the system.
Where do I insert my credit card to pre-order?

Regarding the main series Pokémon games being including the GameBoy Classic needs to do the following;

-Include the option of trading and battling, meaning a link cable has to be either included or sold separately. Both will bump up cost for Nintendo and the consumer.

-To be compatible with Pokémon Bank so the Pokémon can be transferred over into the modern main series games.

So I wouldn't get your hopes up high as it's very likely that the Pokémon games will be omitted in the listing.

Number 2 is laughable. It's not needed in any way.

Should be GBA Micro or GBA SP shaped and feature games from GB, GBC and GBA. Regular GB games only would be painful for 2017 standards.

Bilix

Are there that many Game Boy Color specific titles to make a separate classic edition? Trying to think of some I'd include and the list isn't big:

Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages
Mario Golf
Pokemon Crystal
Shantae

Kind of realizing now that I didn't get much use of my Gameboy Color.

yyr

OP, Game Boy is two words. I can't even read your whole post; it's offensive to my eyes.

In response to "but they don't make screens in that aspect ratio anymore," I point to the Neo-Geo X. They were like "who cares?" and put a widescreen in there anyway. You just have black borders or a stretched screen, your choice. Neither is ideal, of course, and I'm not sure whether that would represent a Nintendo-level of polish. But let's face it: a Game Boy redesign, at this point, would NOT feature the same kind of LCD we had all those years ago. There's zero chance of that. So they might as well manufacture a screen that won't drive up the cost per unit too much.

Honestly, I think the best solution would be to make a screen with the same ratio as the GBA and then to letterbox older GB games. And yeah, throw all those games in one unit. I mean, why not...?

Another idea: sell cartridges. One with original GB games, one with GBC games, one with GBA games...is that ridiculous?

SMattera

NES and SNES Classic had all games pulled from the Wii/Wii U VC, with the exception of Star Fox 2.

So if you want to know what games it will have, look at the 3DS Gameboy VC.

JackDT

Keep the original grey design, shrink it, make it thinner and lighter (nostalgia is why people are buying this) and make the screen a lot bigger. HDMI or whatever would be cool too.

Basically do what people are doing now with Gameboy Zeros except make it fit in your pocket.

gamebox-comparison-500x375.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

poodaddy

Gold Member
I don't really see the point of a straight up Game Boy Classic, as the GBA was backwards compatible anyway and it felt better to hold and play than the original Game Boy, not to mention it looked much better. I say just release a GBA classic that includes somewhere around 50 to 100 games, half of which are pivotal Game Boy/GBC classics with the other half being classic GBA games. That would be an incredibly impressive offering in my mind, much more so than any Classic device offered so far IMO, and I would pay a silly amount of money for it, especially if it had a quality backlit display anywhere near the standards set by the Switch or even the Vita's.

Giga Man

I think Game Boy Classic would include Game Boy Color as Nintendo sees them as one generation. Form factor wise they are also very similar, so it makes total sense to include both. I could even see them release it in multiple colors. Backlight for the screen as well as a charger are both necessary, of course.

When it comes to the games, here are some ideas:

Donkey Kong '94
Dragon Warrior 3
Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters
Kirby's Dream Land 1 and 2
Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening + Oracle of Seasons/Ages
Mega Man V
Metal Gear: Ghost Babel
Pokémon Yellow
Pokémon Crystal
Pokémon Pinball
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
Super Mario Land 1 and 2
Tetris
Wario Land 1, 2 and 3

(I made this list a while ago.)

Add one or more Game & Watch Gallery games and Shantae and we have a deal!

djlr181

The Pokemon company has made it pretty clear that they will not allow the original Pokemon games to be re-released if they are lacking their multiplayer features. Cheapest solution for Nintendo would probably be to use a micro usb cable as a link cable replacement.

Fiendcode

They should release models in Red, Green, Blue and Yellow with a corresponding Pokémon game in each. Collect ‘em all!

ViciousDS

Banned
It will be a relatively cheap unit. I'm pretty sure it would cost them more to backlight the thing than it would to produce a low res LCD.

Has to have a rechargeable battery and probably form factor of the final form.

One edition would carry Pokémon red and gold

The other edition would be blue and silver.

They eventually would release a yellow and crystal version later down the line or something of that sort.

DonMigs85

To be honest I dunno if it's worthwhile and it probably can't be true to the original
1. Do they still even make dot matrix LCDs in this size?
2. They could use the original Z80 processor to keep things authentic, if they used the same SoC as the NES/SNES mini the motherboard would need to be a bit smaller. Or they could use a new SoC that's just single or dual core.
3. Will it have a working cartridge slot?

120v

a regular game boy classic wouldn't make much sense.. the thing is so outdated and iterated upon . i think it'll be a "game boy +" of sorts that includes GBA games, or at least includes color options a la super game boy or whatever.

i don't think anybody's pining to go back to the spinach green era save for diehards. it'd be a neat little thing but nowhere near a hot item as nes/snes classic

a916

Backlit LCD is a must... and that alone will add to the cost along with the battery pack.

The logistics for a portable like this might be a bit more than say, an NES/SNES classic.

I wonder what the price would be on this...

Comfortable depends on the size of your hands and how long you're playing. I never had any problems and I have medium, slender size hands. I guess. The small screen makes games look really sharp, but playing original Gameboy games or GBC is kinda awkward because the carts stick out a good bit. But I still love my Micro all the same. I think the best form factor would be a super thin version of the GBC.

dcon

Neo Member
I really doubt they will combine GB and GBC libraries for one product. Firstly, there are more than enough worthwhile games on both platforms to justify two handhelds. Secondly, they stand to make more money by releasing a GBC version the following year, especially as the hardware (besides the shell) is likely to be identical.

jett

D-Member
I don't think this would be worthwhile for Nintendo. Better to have a "gameboy classics cart" for Switch, like someone suggested. That would be cool.

Velcro Fly

I'm currently using my 3DS as a GB/GBC classic. Most of the games I played as a kid I can buy on the VC. It ain't perfect but for nostalgia trips it is alright. But I'm sure if they put out a product like this I'd want it. The Gameboy to me was the first real big purchase I made with my own money.

Nymphae

Banned
Pocket was the best original GB form factor.

The GBA SP was the greatest GB incarnation, but the Micro was the coolest.

Top Bottom