• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's TokuGAF 2012 | IT'S MORPHIN' TIME... Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillyFive

2174939-1.png

Box of Bunnies said:
Tokusatsu is a Japanese term that means "special filming". As a genre it refers to pretty much any live-action production that makes extensive use of special effects. In the literal sense, anything from Wonder Woman to Doctor Who could be considered tokusatsu but, much like "anime", it is used colloquially in English to refer specifically to shows and movies of Japanese origin or adapted from them.

THE SHOWS OF 2012

Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters

tumblr_m8z95iF8Ki1qkmejdo2_1280.jpg

A more realistic and innovative take on the Super Sentai series, Go-Busters takes place in a world that runs on Enetron, a major power source for all electronics. The evil supercomputer Messiah wants to steal all the Enetron to power his giant robot army of Megazords, and it's up to the Go-Busters to stop them. It's Morphin' Time!

i4WjMPN6VDW9E.gif
ibjQWanRnpFYuc.gif

Where to watch:

Japan: 7:30 AM Sundays on TV Asahi, shows and movies available on Blu-Ray and DVD

Elsewhere: Fan subs provided by Over-Time and TV-Nihon.​

Kamen Rider Wizard

tumblr_m9st37nuGb1qj1g9ao2_1280.jpg

A mysterious ceremony held on the day of a solar eclipse released Phantoms out in the unsuspecting world. But luckily, a donut-loving magician with extraordinary rings rides to save the world from the Phantoms as Kamen Rider Wizard.

ibgjZmCYGgfxry.gif
ibpbvU1esLveEX.gif
ib1CrOI6MLxkv9.gif

Where to watch:

Japan: 8 AM Sundays on TV Asahi, shows and movies available on Blu-Ray and DVD

Kamen Rider Fourze

tumblr_m8z95iF8Ki1qkmejdo1_1280.jpg

Celebrating 40 years of Kamen Rider and 50 years of manned space flight, it's all about making friends and fighting constellations in Kamen Rider Fourze. When a group of space aliens start turning students of AGHS into monsters, it's up to Gentarou and his friends to turn them back and make friends out of the evil invading aliens.

tumblr_m9e3ioHLG51rrvp7ao1_250.gif
ib2cuCVay0Aapu.gif
iYpqHXqDgbdMw.gif

Where to watch:

Japan: All episodes and movies available on Blu-Ray and DVD

Unofficial Sentai Akibaranger

tumblr_m6era2Ktpp1rzwffqo1_500.jpg

A trio of otaku and misfits are recruited by a local Super Sentai-themed Cafe to become a real life Super Sentai team.

ibnkeS5ekeU0H9.gif
ibw5aCfmXyGqmC.gif
ibpBPWGnC3tEbb.gif

Where to watch:

Japan: All episodes available on Blu-Ray and DVD

Hong Kong, Taiwan, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, and Thailand: Bandai's Official Channel

Pirate Sentai Gokaiger

tumblr_m3i7ctMVKW1qdsraqo1_500.jpg

The massive crossover between all of the first 35 Super Sentai teams! Appreciation Thread.

Where to watch:

Japan: All episodes and movies available on Blu-Ray and DVD

South Korea: Dubbed as Power Rangers Captain Force, airs on TV.

Power Rangers Super Samurai

tumblr_m9ws4hE9JA1rbbhg0o2_500.png

Current Power Rangers series, American adaptation of 2009's Samurai Sentai Shinkenger. Fine for kids, but you should watch Shinkenger instead.

Where to watch:

Airs on Nickelodeon and Nicktoons, schedule depends on your country. First season is on Netflix, both seasons are on DVD.​

Power Rangers Lost Galaxy

tumblr_m72rs9C1Bi1r1uyx1o1_r1_500.jpg

1999's Power Rangers season, American adaptation of 1998's Seijuu Sentai Gingaman. The show is currently headlining the new Vortexx block on The CW.

Where to watch:

Currently airing on CW's Vortexx, every Saturday at 8 AM. The show is also available on Netflix and DVD as part of Time Life's Power Rangers collection.

2012 MOVIE LINEUP

Gokaiger vs. Gavan

220px-Gokaiger_vs._Gavan.jpg

The Space Sheriff Gavan makes his glorious return in this 30th Anniversary celebration, and he has to fight Bootleg Gavan, as well as
butt heads with the 35th Anniversary Super Sentai, Gokaiger! The best Gokaiger movie so far (even better than 199 Heroes), it's full
of thrills and action that will satisfy even the most jaded superhero fan.

Ultraman Saga

220px-USagapos.jpg

The 45th Anniversary of Ultraman is coming up, and what better way to celebrate it than with a movie! Featuring various Ultramen together fighting new villains, and the cast of 1997's Ultraman Dyna returning to their roles.

Kamen Rider vs. Super Sentai: Superhero Wars

Super_Hero_Taisen.jpg

The most anticipated and hyped Toku of the year is the long awaited crossover between Kamen Rider and Super Sentai. One of the
biggest productions Toei has ever done, it is in the process of being nominated for the Guinness World Record for most stuntmen used in a single shot.
Go-Busters: The Movie / Kamen Rider Fourze: The Movie
DOUBLE FEATURE

220px-Fourze_%26_Go-Busters.jpg

In the first feature, the Go-Busters must protect the Tokyo Enetower from Enter's new Zord in their big-budget theatrical short film.

The second feature is Kamen Rider Fourze's full length theatrical movie, featuring an homage of the Space Ironmen Kyodain as evil villains threatening the Earth. The Kamen Rider Club must find a way to travel to outer space and defeat them!

RECOMMENDED PAST SHOWS

KAMEN RIDER

Kamen Rider W

Kamen Rider Den-O

Kamen Rider Kabuto

Kamen Rider Kuuga

Kamen Rider Black

SUPER SENTAI

Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger (Kaizoku = Pirate)

Samurai Sentai Shinkenger

Jyuken Sentai Gekiranger (Jyuken = Beast Fist)

Choujin Sentai Jetman (Choujin = Birdmen)

Choujuu Sentai Liveman (Choujuu = Mega Beast)

POWER RANGERS

Power Rangers RPM

Power Rangers SPD

Power Rangers Dino Thunder

Power Rangers Ninja Storm

Power Rangers Time Force

Power Rangers In Space
WHAT ELSE IS OUT THERE?

Garo

Do you need mature toku for mature viewers such as yourself? Then Garo is the show for you. Their standout features are basically
"omg tits and blood!"

Metal Heroes

Running for 17 years, the Metal Heroes series featured 17 different shows. Generally using a technological motif, a handful of these
shows were adapted as VR Troopers and Big Bad Beetleborgs at the height of the Power Rangers phenomenon. A popular hero from
this series, Space Sheriff Gavan, was recently featured in a vs. movie with the Pirate Sentai Gokaiger.

Tomica Heroes

Comprised of Rescue Force and Rescue Fire, the Tomica Heroes series ran for two years. Skewing a little lower demographically than
Super Sentai, the Tomica Heroes shows are nevertheless fun watches that feature great CGI and consummate boss Hiroshi Fujioka.

Monkey

Popular in the UK and Australia, Monkey is a retelling of the Journey to the West story. Featuring a funky soundtrack, fun fights, the odd
bit of Buddhist philosophy and an over-the-top dub, Monkey is a true classic

- Box of Bunnies

I WANT TO LEARN MORE!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
As someone generally unfamiliar with these shows, I found the Samurai section of the OP to be completely unhelpful.

Here's this thing that's a reboot, I'm not going to describe it; instead watch this other thing that I am also not going to describe.

What?

vareon

Also here recommending some Ultraman series.

Ultraman Gaia is a standalone series that is very worth watching.

Ultraman Zero : The Revenge of Belial is one movie you should watch. It has a very basic storyline, but it has spectacular visual effects and homages to the old series.

I heard good things about Ultraman Nexus but I haven't watched it.

Big One

Banned
As someone generally unfamiliar with these shows, I found the Samurai section of the OP to be completely unhelpful.

Here's this thing that's a reboot, I'm not going to describe it; instead watch this other thing that I am also not going to describe.

What?
There's nothing to really talk about. Samurai is a meh series.

Wiseblade

What?

There's really not much to say about it. Samurai is the latest season of Power Rangers and Saban have tried to take the series "back to it roots" with pathetic wooden acting, lazy edits and pointless, unfunny slapstick segments. Saying "it's fine for kids" is giving it too much credit.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Hey, cool, new thread.

Reminds me that I need to actually sit down and watch some Toku at some point. Haven't actively watched anything since I marathoned Kabuto a few years ago.

ReiGun

New thread? I didn't hear anything about this?!

As an aside, I appreciate the random Wonder Woman shout out in the OP. I started watching it online recently (cause Wondy happens to be one of my top 3 superheroes), and it's a really fun show. Lynda Carter <3

Now, more on topic: I am really trying hard to like Gobuster, cause I love the style, but the main characters are doing nothing for me.

Shiv47

Always good to see toku-love on GAF, though I rarely posted in the other thread because I watch with friends and we inevitably get way behind what GAF is discussing. Garo is fantastic though, and Daimajin Kanon is another decent show of recent vintage, though it's more story/character driven than toku-based.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
New thread? I didn't hear anything about this?!

As an aside, I appreciate the random Wonder Woman shout out in the OP. I started watching it online recently (cause Wondy happens to be one of my top 3 superheroes), and it's a really fun show. Lynda Carter <3

Now, more on topic: I am really trying hard to like Gobuster, cause I love the style, but the main characters are doing nothing for me.

Sidewatch akiba rei. Better main cast, but the action isn't all there.

vareon

I agree that the characters aren't that interesting (except for the commander dude, love him somehow) but I need my weekly Super Hero Time fix. Every other parts made it up for the characters, I think.

WillyFive

To christen the new thread, it's time for gifs!

ohsugi2t4ufr.gif

gokai29.gif

Gokaiger_to_Timeranger_henshin.gif

spinning-fourze.gif

What?

I apologize for the confusion. I do plan on adding more as people suggest stuff.

Just yesterday I was wondering when the first post of the old thread would be updated. It still had Shinkenger and Decade as current shows. :p

Busters.....ready....KITAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
does gentarou appear in one of the movies without his rooster comb like pompadour?

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsvekoDHQ01qm9n5po3_250.gif[IMG]

[IMG]http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsrkyxd0HX1qm9n5po1_250.gif[IMG]

[IMG]http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsvekoDHQ01qm9n5po4_400.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

And isn't it amazing that the same guy played Geki Blue and Blue Buster? Both cool, smooth fighters? Meanwhile, Yellow Buster's suit actor is a dude that always plays girls and has the same tendencies and ways of standing to try to look feminine no matter who he plays.

WillyFive

And isn't it amazing that the same guy played Geki Blue and Blue Buster? Both cool, smooth fighters? Meanwhile, Yellow Buster's suit actor is a dude that always plays girls and has the same tendencies and ways of standing to try to look feminine no matter who he plays.

Pretty neat.

This guy is the suit actor for Red Buster:

st-at-yoshifumi.jpg

Blue Buster:

st-at-yasuhiro.jpg

and the man himself, Yellow Buster:

st-at-yuuichi.jpg

Couldn't find any gifs of Yellow Buster in action while morphed, all of the ones available are of her legs. Then again, every shot in Go-Busters about Yellow Buster is of her legs....

Something for the OT.

I'm sure a lot of people dropped out of PR years ago. Maybe add some recommendations? People generally enjoy time force and rpm right?

And all of PR is on netflix.

And no mention of the kick ass fight choreography of Garo? Greater than tits and bad cg blood!

And with Toei publicly acknowledging fansubs, maybe put up some fansub groups?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Something for the OT.

I'm sure a lot of people dropped out of PR years ago. Maybe add some recommendations? People generally enjoy time force and rpm right?

And all of PR is on netflix.

And no mention of the kick ass fight choreography of Garo? Greater than tits and bad cg blood!

Wait what? Explain please.

WillyFive

Well, it's a grey area for NeoGAF.

Wait what? Explain please.

It seems that Toei allows fansubs as long as the thing being subbed is not being sold here.

For example, Toei knows full well of fansubbing groups, but won't shut them down. When Kamen Rider: The First came out, which was being sold in English, they told the fansubbers to not do anything with it (many still did it, but you know...). This is also why fansubebrs don't use pirated versions of the movies that were recorded from a movie theater, they want to keep them on their side. Toku stuff also gets taken down from Youtube a lot for this reason, because people in Japan can also watch it (they sell the shows on DVD there).

I don't want to risk it, though.

Hey Willy105 I hate to keep requesting gifs but can you PLEASE make a gif of Shun in episode 21 during the 3,2,1! Thats a perfect reaction gif.

WillyFive

If we can put up fansubs, then I'll also put the Power Rangers Netflix in there as well.

The OP really needed that, but I didn't want to post it for obvious reasons.

Hey Willy105 I hate to keep requesting gifs but can you PLEASE make a gif of Shun in episode 21 during the 3,2,1! Thats a perfect reaction gif.

tumblr_lzbicdMQ1B1qbxbn4.gif

Not mine by the way, none of them are.

Well, it's a grey area for NeoGAF.

It seems that Toei allows fansubs as long as the thing being subbed is not being sold here.

For example, Toei knows full well of fansubbing groups, but won't shut them down. When Kamen Rider: The First came out, which was being sold in English, they told the fansubbers to not do anything with it (many still did it, but you know...). This is also why fansubebrs don't use pirated versions of the movies that were recorded from a movie theater, they want to keep them on their side. Toku stuff also gets taken down from Youtube a lot for this reason, because people in Japan can also watch it (they sell the shows on DVD there).

I don't want to risk it, though.

ahhh where is your spirit for adventure? Pretty sure there has been a few debates over which subs are better on the old thread.

Fansubs is a grey zone for anime, but not really for toku.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom