• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Level 5 Vision 2010 - The future is 3DS

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
demosthenes said:
Just curious, were WKC sales flat? No 3rd game?

The game is only 2 parts... Sales were fine in Japan I guess, not sure about US/EU (I'm guessing no?).

Spiegel said:
Quick port?

DS

wbdy4.jpg

3DS

kFFu0.jpg

I can't be the only one who prefers the pixel art here. 3DS version does look pretty good, though.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Father_Brain said:
I can't be the only one who prefers the pixel art here. 3DS version does look pretty good, though.

I liked the DS style because it reminded me of Mother 2/3 - but the new Cel Shading looks very good too.

duckroll

I think Fantasy Life looks like crap now honestly. It looked charming and cute in 2D, but now it just looks like Animal Crossing/Away which I really detest in terms of art direction. Gross and it's probably slower with a close up camera too because it's all 3D.

Oh well, not like I was going to buy a Brownie Brown game anyway. :p

cw_sasuke

Other devs should also start takin the 3DS a lil bit more serious if they dont wanna be left behind again. But since its very early in the life cycle it make sense that many japanese 3rds are just porting and remaking stuff. Right now only Capcom and Level 5 are really deliverin in my opinion.

I expect SE to step their game up once the 3DS is launched - Chocobo Racing 3D by h.a.n.d looks like shit.

cw_sasuke said:
Other devs should also start takin the 3DS a lil bit more serious if they dont wanna be left behind again. But since its very early in the life cycle it make sense that many japanese 3rds are just porting and remaking stuff. Right now only Capcom and Level 5 are really deliverin in my opinion.

I expect SE to step their game up once the 3DS is launched - Chocobo Racing 3D by h.a.n.d looks like shit.

I expect SE announce something more flashy in their january conference, I know the conferebce is Fabula Cristalis related, but I cant believe they don't have anything more important than Chocobo Racing in their kitchen...

cw_sasuke

Relaxed Muscle said:
I expect SE announce something more flashy in their january conference, I know the conferebce is Fabula Cristalis related, but I cant believe they don't have anything more important than Chocobo Racing in their kitchen...

In that nomura video message from nintendos press conference he hinted that Kingdom Hearts 3D would be just the beginning and there would be strong SE support in the future.

Chris1964 said:
S-E doesn't have a tradition to release high-profile games close to systen launches.

I know, im talkin more about announsments just like Level 5 did today. They made a ton of money on DS you would think that they have more specific plans that kh 3d, a dq series game, a ff series game and that crappy lookin outsourced chocobo racing....

cw_sasuke said:

Well, they did announce KH 3DS, which is by the Birth by Sleep team and will presumably feature the same level of production values. Also, I'd expect at least one new 3DS announcement at the Fabula Nova Crystallis conference in January.

I agree that there aren't nearly enough new IPs on 3DS, but that'll probably change as we get closer to (and past) launch.

FoneBone

Any video of Fantasy Life or Layton 5?

(not the old footage of Layton, I mean)

Also, the book thing makes me pessimistic about Ninokuni DS coming to the US. I think they'd have a tough time making money on it here :-/

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
duckroll said:
Here's a more direct comparison of Fantasy Life's evolution from DS to 3DS:

wbdy4.jpg

VmRUB.jpg
Yeah, looks uninspired now. I think I'd need to see what the gameplay and what Amano's input is before writing it off, but I'm not interested in the 3D version so far.

BUT OMG SHU TAKUMI IS WRITING LAYTON VS. SAIBAN! :D :D :D

The 3DS looks to be getting tons of support and the thing is not even out yet. I hope Nintendo gets all these 3rd parties on board for their next home console this time.

Azura

duckroll said:

wbdy4.jpg

VmRUB.jpg

Definitely love the DS version more than the 3DS version. But i know it is hard to get the full affect of the 3DS without being right in front of the screen.

Awesome none the less :D

I think they translated the 2D look great into 3D with the cel-shading and it will look amazing in 3D. Actually it's one of my most wanted 3DS games now :)

Wizpig

Father_Brain said:
No, it's the first thing i said.
But the 3DS version looks pretty nice aswell.

Anyways, is this the best conference ever? Y/Y? look at the things they announced, jesus.
I don't think we'll ever play those Layton games for cell-phone and that Level5 console though.

Pyrokai

As exciting as the Layton/Phoenix game sounds, I'm still nervous that half these games won't come out here. Isn't Japan like, 3 Layton games ahead of us? :(

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I would have liked to have seen some reassurance that Ushiro is still around. Move it to 3DS if you have to, I don't care.

Wizpig

Pyrokai said:
As excited as the Layton/Phoenix game sounds, I'm still nervous that half these games won't come out here. Isn't Japan like, 3 Layton games ahead of us? :(
Actually, only 1 Layton game - the fourth Layton game for the Nintendo DS.

Surely you know that Layton 3 is out in US/EUR.

cw_sasuke

jj984jj said:
Yeah, looks uninspired now. I think I'd need to see what the gameplay and what Amano's input is before writing it off, but I'm not interested in the 3D version so far.
The game never way about the graphics though - as long a its still based on those 21 songs and 21 diffrent person it still should be worth it,

Pyrokai

Wizpig said:
Actually, only 1 Layton game - the fourth Layton game for the Nintendo DS.

Surely you know that Layton 3 is out in US/EUR.

Oh my.....Yes I knew Unwound Future was out (I have it) but I definitely didn't realize that there was only one game (Mask of Miracle, 3DS) after that. I thought there were 2-3 Layton games on the DS that we don't have yet in addition to the 3DS Layton game. Oh good, I feel so much better now. We'll probably end up getting the 4th one :)

I wonder if Nintendo will publish it, or if Level 5 will. If they're serious about expanding their overseas publishing efforts, it seems like a good place to start for Layton. I doubt Nintendo will keep this up forever (though it'd be nice since they'd probably change voice actors :( )

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
cw_sasuke said:
The game never way about the graphics though - as long a its still based on those 21 songs and 21 diffrent person it still should be worth it,
We don't know what the gameplay for any of those 21 jobs are, the visuals were pretty much the only thing that had me interested so far.

ivysaur12

Banned
duckroll said:

wbdy4.jpg

VmRUB.jpg

Hmm... 3D definitely doesn't look at great (it loses its Mother 3 vibe). But isn't this also Brownie Brown's first full 3D game? Either way, it looks fairly uninspired in that shot but I wonder how it'll look in actual 3D.

For added comparison, here's some Fantasy Life art from back when it was announced for DS, along with a couple more 3DS shots that I haven't seen in this thread yet:

QMuc3.jpg

JWOBo.jpg

N0yZk.jpg

It certainly looks closer to the concept art now, but good pixel art has a certain charm to it that's just impossible to replicate with polygons. C'est la vie.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa. WHOA.

Professor Layton/Phoenix Wright crossover?

My God.

ivysaur12 said:
Hmm... 3D definitely doesn't look at great (it loses its Mother 3 vibe).

Y'know, it's probably better for everyone if a crummy Brownie Brown game isn't tricking anyone into buying or playing it by looking like Mother 3. :lol

cw_sasuke

2San said:
Isn't really surprising the only reason the PS3 has the WKC series is because Sony is publishing the series.
What about Ninokuni Ps3 ?

randomkid

Jonnyram said:
So, pretty much like DQVII -> DQVIII then.

Huh? DQ7 looked atrocious and only had some 2d elements. OG Fantasy Life was beautiful pure 2D. So to me this seems more like DQVI -> DQIX.

I'll wait to see what New Fantasy Life looks like in motion but for now I prefer the old Mother-esque visuals.

Sad to see re-re-confirmation of Ushiro's demise, but I kinda agree with whoever said it seems like elements of Ushiro have made it into Time Travelers. Something about that dude's character design I think and the vague horror vibe.

Tiktaalik

charlequin said:
Y'know, it's probably better for everyone if a crummy Brownie Brown game isn't tricking anyone into buying or playing it by looking like Mother 3. :lol
:lol

I was about to post that I was sad that the art direction had changed, but really, I'm basically in this Mother 3 fanboy category. It's probably for the best.

cw_sasuke

At this point i wonder if it still makes sense to release the first IE trilogy in the west. I read something about maybe there will be a new game announcment at the inazuma eleven fan expo (?) this december.... i would expect them just to publish the 3DS titles over here.

Cygnus X-1

Well, it seems that Level 5 completely joined the 3DS hype train. Capcom and Kojima seem also to be on boards substantially.

ksamedi

Fantasy Life is probably my most anticipated game of 2011. It looks really promising and also refreshing for an RPG. Please don't disappoint Level 5

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I was really looking forward to Fantasy Life on the DS, loved the art syle because it looked like Mother 3. I'm glad it's going to 3DS, and I actually do like the new art style, although I don't think it's as good. Oh well, I'm still very intrigued by it. :D

randomkid

Fantastical said:
I was really looking forward to Fantasy Life on the DS, loved the art syle because it looked like Mother 3. I'm glad it's going to 3DS, and I actually do like the new art style, although I don't think it's as good. Oh well, I'm still very intrigued by it. :D

Yeah Fantasy Life is kind of a confusing bundle of reactions for me. I'm glad the game moved to 3DS cuz that means localization chances are better, but the move to 3DS also probably precipitated the visual changes. The game's original visuals are getting in my way I think, those are pretty good cel-shaded visuals so I'd probably be more enthusiastic if I'd never seen the original look.

The Amano thing is just weird, he's one of my favorite artists but I can't see at all how his style will fit with this game. The re-confirmation of the Uematsu soundtrack is great news.

Funnily enough, none of today's announcements are going to affect the timing of when I buy a 3DS, since we probably won't see any of these games in America until 2012.

Top Bottom