• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Level-5's Fantasy Life (3DS) Getting DLC Expansion incl. online mode, new content

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
In celebration of Fantasy Life's commercial success, Level-5 announced today that the game will be getting an online mode through paid DLC in 2013.

http://www.4gamer.net/games/097/G009708/20130201077/
http://www.fantasylife.jp/news130201/index.html

hWJFESa.jpg

Aside from the online mode, the paid DLC will add a new quest to the game and increase the characters' level cap. Level-5 promises that more content will be coming in the future.

The company hasn't released details like pricing or a release date for the DLC.

To further clarify my previous point, they also confirm that aside from adding new quests in this paid update, there will also be changes to the game world. Definitely a mini-expansion.

BDGAME

It's really good when a game device can help games like this to became a sucess. And I want this game come to americas. Nintendo, do your job.

Brazil

It's really good when a game device can help games like this to became a sucess. And I want this game come to americas. Nintendo, do your job.

Well, eventually Level-5 IA will have to release something other than eShop titles. And since they don't bother with Little Battlers or Inazuma Eleven, this has to be it.

I think.

also

Banned
DLC for new quests sounds OK, but paying for an online mode doesn't sit well with me. Online in this day and age is a necessity not a luxury.
I'm not sure about paying to rise the character level cap. I suppose it's okay if they add new abilities and content that takes advantage of those abilities.

duckroll

DLC for new quests sounds OK, but paying for an online mode doesn't sit well with me. Online in this day and age is a necessity not a luxury.
I'm not sure about paying to rise the character level cap. I suppose it's okay if they add new abilities and content that takes advantage of those abilities.

I don't think this is a piecemeal DLC system where they are charging for an online mode. It sounds more like a sort of mini-expansion with a one time charge. The press release says Level5 plans on selling a "large scale content update" which will include online multiplayer, more quests, and an increased level cap.

duckroll

To further clarify my previous point, they also confirm that aside from adding new quests in this paid update, there will also be changes to the game world. Definitely a mini-expansion.

Cipherr

That's a silly thing to say IMO. So DLC is fine as long as it doesn't add an online mode?

Why exactly?

And saying that online is a necessity is as ridiculous as the notion that every game should have multi player. Its just a bad bad idea. Different games are different. They should add modes and functions if they fit the game, and not just because they have a checklist of 'required' features to stuff into the game even if they aren't appropriate.

This game sold well? I remember being interested in the game a long time ago, but then I saw gameplay and it was absolutely horrible. I guess these games are pretty popular in Japan but I really doubt it'll sell well in the west. It's like a horrible version of Harvest Moon or Rune Factory or what have you. At least from what I've seen.

duckroll

That's a silly thing to say IMO. So DLC is fine as long as it doesn't add an online mode?

Why exactly?

And saying that online is a necessity is as ridiculous as the notion that every game should have multi player. Its just a bad bad idea. Different games are different. They should add modes and functions if they fit the game, and not just because they have a checklist of 'required' features to stuff into the game even if they aren't appropriate.

Well in this case the game already has multiplayer. There's multiplayer for up to 3 players at a time, and item trading. Except all these functions are ad-hoc only. With the major content update, they're planning to add online capability to it, and presumably allow the same functions to be played online. I think there's a good argument to be made that the online update should be free, but I guess they want to pack all the additional content they're making for the game together as one expansion package to make it feel more value for money.

deleted

We have no idea how it did on the eShop, right?
It is possible that shortages drove a lot more eShop sales than expected.

hongcha

This game sold well? I remember being interested in the game a long time ago, but then I saw gameplay and it was absolutely horrible. I guess these games are pretty popular in Japan but I really doubt it'll sell well in the west. It's like a horrible version of Harvest Moon or Rune Factory or what have you. At least from what I've seen.

Yeah, the gameplay is pretty much crap, which is why I gave up on the game midway through and sold it off.

Perhaps wishful thinking but I can imagine them adding online in Japan so they can bundle it into the main game when they bring it to the not-really-into-adhoc West.

Maedhros

Normally, GAF would already be overreacting to these news... paid online mode DLC is really a shitty move, no matter what anyone says.

It would have been nice to see Nintendo give Animal Crossing a break to collaborate with Level 5 on this (being that Brownie Brown was already involved).
Animal Crossing has been evolving in the smallest of increments while this looks to take the general formula and push it in exciting new directions with actual jobs.

Hopefully it'll get localized.
This and Bravely Default are the two 3DS games I have been waiting to buy a 3DS for. I'll pick up an XL if either one is announced.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Capcom should have done the same for MH Tri Ultimate.

Normally, GAF would already be overreacting to these news... paid online mode DLC is really a shitty move, no matter what anyone says.
Fantasy Life was developed with a small budget because most people expected it to bomb.

Now the game is selling well and they want to support it further, developing new content with a new budget, one not planned from the beginning.

Companies are not in the video-game BUSINESS to do charity.

Kouriozan

Fantasy Life was developed with a small budget because most people expected it to bomb.

Now the game is selling well and they want to support it further, developing new content with a new budget, one not planned from the beginning.

Yeah, that is surprising considering Level 5's curse.
I'm happy for them because games like that deserve more support.

Despera

Banned

They could've added an online mode for free as a thank you to all the guys and gals who supported the game, and as an attractive feature for potential customers.

Sometimes, there are other business solutions that don't involve fucking over consumers.

If you bought the game then you bought it for SP.
Their expanding the game. This has to be paid for.

How many L5 games have multiplayer? I struggle to think. I wonder if after the stock issues L5 saw some strong digital sales and are now seeing that as a serious market and online as something beneficial to the handheld consumer.

Ryuukan

They could've added an online mode for free as a thank you to all the guys and gals who supported the game, and as an attractive feature for potential customers.

Sometimes, there are other business solutions that don't involve fucking over consumers.

You're right, they could have never made any online mode or additional DLC whatsoever. That way, all this fake rage over a game people here will never buy could be avoided.

DaBoss

They aren't fucking over consumers by giving them the option to buy an online mode expansion. It's obvious that most that bought the game didn't care about the fact that online wasn't available.

Yeah, that is surprising considering Level 5's curse.
I'm happy for them because games like that deserve more support.

The curse did strike in that the one game L5 conservatively ship in 5 years ends up beong a massove hit with huge sellthrough and their out of stock for weeks!

This is awesome news. If this game comes out in English, I'll buy a 3DS. Seriously. I've been waiting for something awesome like this or Animal Crossing and tbh, I'm kind of burned out on AC since I've played all the previous titles @_@ This is just that title to push me off the fence.

Level-5 has offered tons of free downloadable content in their previous Layton games that they could have charged for. Like Layton's puzzle a day. Go whine about paid DLC in an EA thread or something.

also

Banned

Why exactly?

I worded my post badly. I definitely do not want to see MP shoehorned into every game but if a game is going to have MP, it should be online enabled. Charging to upgrade from local-only to online enabled MP seemss like a scam to me.

Well in this case the game already has multiplayer. There's multiplayer for up to 3 players at a time, and item trading. Except all these functions are ad-hoc only. With the major content update, they're planning to add online capability to it, and presumably allow the same functions to be played online. I think there's a good argument to be made that the online update should be free, but I guess they want to pack all the additional content they're making for the game together as one expansion package to make it feel more value for money.
Thanks for the clarification on the update.
They really should offer the online for free and use the newly generated interest (people like free things) to sell the update. ''Hey, we are adding online so you can play with your far away friends. Don't worry if you have already seen everything the game has to offer. For only XXX¥ you can download this huge update so you and your buddies can enjoy many more hours of fishing/questing/tree cutting...''
Actually, it's kind of surprising that this will be a DD update as opposed to a new retail version. I guess they learnt from Little Battlers's decline on PSP/Vita.

Yeah, the gameplay is pretty much crap, which is why I gave up on the game midway through and sold it off.

Really? The guys on 8-4 (Adam) and Red Sun Gamer (DC Charlie, Elliot) were gushing about it.

duckroll

How many L5 games have multiplayer? I struggle to think. I wonder if after the stock issues L5 saw some strong digital sales and are now seeing that as a serious market and online as something beneficial to the handheld consumer.

This game already has multiplayer. It's just not online.

Sometimes I think no one reads my posts! :(

Vamphuntr

Yeah, I feel the same. I checked a let's play and after 40 minutes of tutorials it looked dreadful when he started to "play" the game.

This kind of game could still find a niche in the west. I mean Rune Factory can so this should be able too.

This game already has multiplayer. It's just not online.

Sometimes I think no one reads my posts! :(

Oh I mean online though. Its like they just realised the onlone community would be there sort of thing.
Or well, that people would pay for charges through eshop or a game.

Maedhros

Bullshit. Ragnarok Odyssey gave Online mode for free. And other two expansion packs entirely for free too.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Adding an online mode to a Japanese ad hoc only game is one of those sure fire signal flares that they are at least considering bringing it out west.

Sounds like the reasoning which resulted in Xbox Live Gold. :p
It is :p.

It doesn't make it any less true though. In the end, if people want it they'll pay for it.

Edit: Just to expand, I'd love Xbox Live to be free but I'm aware it's not happening any time soon so I'll pay for it.

Brazil

There are people defending a payed online mode?

:lol okay

Nice counter-arguments there, fella!

Maybe they didn't have enough money to add an online mode free of charge, so they're doing it this way. Paid online mode > no online mode.

Top Bottom