• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lex Luthor, Superman to be in Arkham Knight?

I'm in the same boat as you. I'll just fly around and beat up fools with super punch and make holes in them with laser eyes. But there is a way to make Superman work....his powers are extremely limited because someone infused kryptonite in him. Can't fly for more than a glide. Human strength, x-ray works in bouts, etc.

And have a Dead Rising style time limit for you to reach the main goal before it kills him.

It'd actually be cool to start off a beast with all the powers and you lose them as the game goes on making you get better and better. Then when you get to the end you get them all back and go crazy. Or that might be an awful idea. What do I know

NeonZ

Seriously how much bull shit is this all the time. Do you know how many people have died because Superman "trusts" Batman?

Joker by himself took down the entire Justice League in the newest arc in the Batman comics. "Power levels" aren't really something consistent. Superman would be at best about as effective against Batman's rogues as Batman himself if they decided to write a story about Superman attempting to clean up Gotham.

How is a Superman game the next logical step when they can choose any Super hero out there if they want to?
Part of what made the Arkham games work were the down and dirty feel of them.
Superman would give you none of that, they would not in any way be similar.
SO please explain "next logical step" if you would

Because Rocksteady is owned by Warner Bros and Superman is their other huge superhero property.

The people with the money make these decisions... not the creatives. I'm sure they could make an amazing Plasticman game... doesn't mean the execs would ever green light it.

Joker by himself took down the entire Justice League in the newest arc in the Batman comics. "Power levels" aren't really something consistent. Superman would be at best about as effective against Batman's rogues as Batman himself if they decided to write a story about Superman attempting to clean up Gotham.

I was planning on getting caught up on Batman later, when did this happen?

tomtom94

Next game by Rocksteady to be Superman? Well, it'd be an interesting way to introduce it, and they have experience of sandbox gameplay. I look at the March 2016 release of Batman v Superman and wonder...

NeonZ

I was planning on getting caught up on Batman later, when did this happen?

The beginning of the "Batman: Endgame" arc that still hasn't finished in the monthly. Technically, it's not directly shown and the story happens after that, although they explain some of his methods.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
No. Superman is no detective and there is certainly no sneaking involved. No toys either.

Superman has to rely on x-ray, heat and freeze powers

Superman is, however, an investigative reporter. There are plenty of times in the comics he has used his occupation as Clark Kent to ferret out evidence or information he needs to do his job as Superman. It's the main reason he took a reporter job in the first place.

Because Rocksteady is owned by Warner Bros and Superman is their other huge superhero property.

The people with the money make these decisions... not the creatives. I'm sure they could make an amazing Plasticman game... doesn't mean the execs would ever green light it.

Rocksteady doesn't seem too interested in doing a Superman game.

Damaging Superman isn't really the tough part for designing a game around him. You can make him face strong enough enemies that could actually hurt him and he doesn't have to hold back against.

The problem is that designing a Superman game around the non-invulnerability powers is hard. Why wouldn't Superman just super-sonic run to the problem and punch it? Batman needs to stealth through a base to get to the big boss inside, why wouldn't Superman just X-Ray scan the base and smash through the walls to get there?

I really like that one scene in Justice League where Superman and Huntress break into the Cadmus base and all the soldiers rush at him and he swats them away in one motion. That's a cool scene! It would be a dumb (non-Musou) video game. Later, he fights someone with superpowers that fights him almost evenly. That could be done well in a video game, but it's really hard to make a game of just that.

Which is why I think it works in, say, Injustice. But Injustice also has the dumb Superman Pills thing because some degree of handwaving was necessary.

How would a Superman game even work?

You're fucking Superman, nothing can kill you.

It's like you're using cheats.

This has been covered, but things that can hurt and kill superman include:

-Kryptonite (the classic)
-Red Sun radiation + basically anything (strips his powers)
-Magic (largely bypasses his invulnerability)
-Psychic powers
-Some biological and chemical attacks

And finally, other people who are just as strong and tough as he is. Doomsday beat him to death, Wonder Woman punched him so hard in the New 52 he bled. Darkseid and Mongul, the list goes on. Superman hasn't been "invincible" since the Silver Age. Just really damn tough.

EDIT: Oh, and Rocksteady's next game should totally be a Batman Beyond title.

Damaging Superman isn't really the tough part for designing a game around him. You can make him face strong enough enemies that could actually hurt him and he doesn't have to hold back against.

The problem is that designing a Superman game around the non-invulnerability powers is hard. Why wouldn't Superman just super-sonic run to the problem and punch it? Batman needs to stealth through a base to get to the big boss inside, why wouldn't Superman just X-Ray scan the base and smash through the walls to get there?

I really like that one scene in Justice League where Superman and Huntress break into the Cadmus base and all the soldiers rush at him and he swats them away in one motion. That's a cool scene! It would be a dumb (non-Musou) video game. Later, he fights someone with superpowers that fights him almost evenly. That could be done well in a video game, but it's really hard to make a game of just that.

Which is why I think it works in, say, Injustice. But Injustice also has the dumb Superman Pills thing because some degree of handwaving was necessary.

But why couldn't you make a Superman game where the only enemies you "fight" are bosses? That could be awesome.

Blues1990

There was a The Spirit/Batman one shot (and the series that had followed) that was written & penciled by Darwyn Cooke and was inked by J. Bone, and quite honestly, I want Rocksteady to take a shot with bringing Will Eiser's creation with the same care & attention to detail that Batman got with the Arkham series.

311711405_fc59890f41_o.jpg

Kyoufu

Whatever this is, I hope it's not a hint at their next game, because let's be real here, Arrow needs to happen.

Skilletor

This has been covered, but things that can hurt and kill superman include:

-Kryptonite (the classic)
-Red Sun radiation + basically anything (strips his powers)
-Magic (largely bypasses his invulnerability)
-Psychic powers
-Some biological and chemical attacks

And finally, other people who are just as strong and tough as he is. Doomsday beat him to death, Wonder Woman punched him so hard in the New 52 he bled. Darkseid and Mongul, the list goes on. Superman hasn't been "invincible" since the Silver Age. Just really damn tough.

EDIT: Oh, and Rocksteady's next game should totally be a Batman Beyond title.

Yeah, kind of feels like the people claiming he's invincible haven't read a comic in a long time.

NeonZ

But why couldn't you make a Superman game where the only enemies you "fight" are bosses? That could be awesome.

Wouldn't that basically be a fighting game? Just make something closer to Budokai Tenkaichi, with the free flight and super speed, rather than a standard side view game.

"Because I'm Batman and Gotham is my City! Go home Clark."

That's literally the justification in 90% of these things.

I watched Justice League War the other night and this basically happens but with Green Lantern (who the also had act like he didn't understand his powers so he was weaker)

Really annoyed me.

On topic I can't see Superman being in the game unless it's an end credits deal.

A Green Lantern game would be cool, but logically it's impossible to deliver on the "create anything" aspect (not that comic writers do anyway). A space based multi planet open world game where you could choose between multiple lanterns with different constructs for abilities would be cool though.

Compbros

There's two ways to do it.

1. An "Emperor Joker" type thing with Mxyzptlk altering the realities around Superman, which, in turn, can be done in multiple ways but the main way I'd like to see is that he forces Clark to go through several Elseworld tales like Red Sun. In some Elseworld tales Supes is a villain so you can just be as destructive and asshole-ish as you like, in others he has limited powers, in others still it focuses more on Clark so it involves more investigative work than beating people up.

2. A "Secret Identity" type thing that involves Clark first getting his powers and ends with him being a grandfather. You can go through him discovering his abilities and them being weak but gradually getting stronger through either story or a leveling up system.

A Green Lantern game would be cool, but logically it's impossible to deliver on the "create anything" aspect (not that comic writers do anyway). A space based multi planet open world game where you could choose between multiple lanterns with different constructs for abilities would be cool though.

Could work with a weapon wheel and the ability to craft your own constructs (like a weapon version of Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts)

K-A-Deman

I hope not, I prefer to pretend Superman doesn't exist :(.

That must be a challenge considering he's pretty much the template for a caped hero or a paragon in general.

Not true. Have you people who repeat this crap never seen any media featuring Superman before? Jesus

Why would they read about the extracurricular activities of an investigative journalist when the story of a born-billionaire with parental issues is SO much more relate able?

¬_¬

Addressing this part now:

Superman: Emperor Joker - http://joker.wikia.com/wiki/Emperor_Joker_(Storyline)

Joker gains the power to change the Universe, shaping it in a way that the Justice League are villains and the villains are the Justice League. Superman is a criminal but starts to realize this World isn't right. You can have the Joker constantly shift the Universes so you go through several Superman Elseworld tales like Speeding Bullets (Superman lands in Gotham and is adopted by the Waynes, raised as Bruce Wayne) and Red Son (Supes lands in Russia and is a weapon for the Soviet Union). You could also just have him shift the Universe to the worst/defining moments in Supes life like bringing Kandor back and his fight with Doomsday.

Superman: Secret Identity - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman:_Secret_Identity

Superman is a comic character. A boy is born with the name "Clark Kent" after Superman. He is the subject of taunts from other children because of his name. One day he wakes up with the powers of Superman and sets out to do good, learning how to use his powers and what it means to be a hero. The story follows his life from his teens to old age.

Don't expect anyone that dismisses Superman with a short-sighted statement to bother reading any of his stories. Let alone work out how it's mostly the struggle of why he fights, not who he fights. But maybe i'm just jaded and bitter from personal experience...

Superman's not really effective in Gotham because of all the lead and architectural disadvantages (no high rises, no large windows, clustered buildings). I mean, it varies on interpretation, but those are usually the reasons.

No. Superman is no detective and there is certainly no sneaking involved. No toys either.

Superman has to rely on x-ray, heat and freeze powers

In most incarnations he's an investigative journalist that uses his powers to aid him in uncovering the truth.

Honestly, that's probably an easy way to do it. Fixate it more on Clark Kent investigating criminal activity and having to clandestinely use your powers (Like make it suspicious to stare intently at a wall for several minutes). Replace the gadgets with the powers, but add the task of balancing using them.

that would be garbage... superman sucks

¬_¬

Oregano

Scribblenauts Unmasked basically could have been a Green Lantern game if everything you made was green.

There's two ways to do it.

1. An "Emperor Joker" type thing with Mxyzptlk altering the realities around Superman, which, in turn, can be done in multiple ways but the main way I'd like to see is that he forces Clark to go through several Elseworld tales like Red Sun. In some Elseworld tales Supes is a villain so you can just be as destructive and asshole-ish as you like, in others he has limited powers, in others still it focuses more on Clark so it involves more investigative work than beating people up.

My main concern with this is that it is almost damningly similar to the concept behind Superman 64, where Lex Luthor traps Superman in a VR world that doesn't make full use of his powers.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'll just fly around and beat up fools with super punch and make holes in them with laser eyes. But there is a way to make Superman work....his powers are extremely limited because someone infused kryptonite in him. Can't fly for more than a glide. Human strength, x-ray works in bouts, etc.
That's like if in Arkham Knight they let you play as a Batman that couldn't hide from anyone and could only use batarangs, no other gadgets :p

What would be cool is if it was a young Superman in need of guidance.
I don't think anyone else got the joke, but I laughed.

No that's the lame, easy way out. Divide the game up into different kinds of challenges. Non-combat challenges have Superman at full power saving people's lives and racing against the clock for various things. It's not that Superman himself is in danger, but other people are if you're not good enough. Combat challenges feature one of the many types of enemies that Superman has faced over the years that are actually a challenge to him. Boss battles featuring General Zod or other Kryptonians. Puzzle fights or challenges against Mr Hard-to-spell. Fights against magic users whom Kal can be harmed by. Doomsday. An army of powerful robots controlled by Braniac.

We can bring Kryptonite into it but we should never rely on that as the primary means for making threats for Supes. But conceptually, there is no shortage of things Superman can do in a game like this. His powers act like Batman's gadgets for level traversal in the open world to solve puzzles and such. His rogue's gallery provides a challenge.

Obviously we're not going to use "I've got so many powers I can't remember them all" Silver Age superman, but there are more modern incarnations with less completely overwhelming power-sets to model the game on.

Compbros

My main concern with this is that it is almost damningly similar to the concept behind Superman 64, where Lex Luthor traps Superman in a VR world that doesn't make full use of his powers.

The difference there is "doesn't make full use of his powers": some stories Supes has full use of them or is even stronger than the main incarnation of the character. Those don't really have to be at the end since Elseworld tales are self contained so there's no continuity to it.

It's up to the game designers to model Hal or John's imagination. You could have a button dedicated to offensive things and a button for shielding or defensive things. A "counter" button in fights might make the Green Lantern you control summon a context-sensitive object that is appropriate to defend from certain different attacks. You can fire beams or whatever at range as one of your primary attacks and what not.

The player's creativity can be involved during traversal and puzzle solving sections. For example, while it might be obvious that you need to summon a weapon in a fight, be it a gun, or a sword, or anything, it may not be obvious what you need to summon elsewhere. There could be a dictionary in the game similar to what they did in Scribblenauts (but much less extensive) that allows players to summon objects at their leisure with the ring. That might not be perfect, but it's an idea for how to make a GL game feel unique.

Top Bottom