• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lex Luthor, Superman to be in Arkham Knight?

Flarin

An eagle-eyed tweeter just posted this to Twitter:

@VideoGamesFacts: In the most recent Arkham Knight trailer, you can see a LexCorp Building. Easter egg or could Lex make an appearance?

B8JblooCQAAFFYa.jpg

Simply an Easter Egg or maybe something for the plot? Interesting none the less.
Shot taken from the Ace Chemicals Part 3 Trailer. I went back to watch it and got a screen grab of this from another angle.

12lexcorp_zpskxau1yor.jpg

I searched high and low and saw nothing about this on GAF. Lock if old.

It's like the "play the game for you" shit from Donkey Kong Country Returns, except instead of a big white invincible gorilla, Superman shows up.

gugeifer

Maybe a hint at what they work on next. Maybe just an easter egg, but they usually contained those within Batman mythos afair.

Oregano

Wasn't there one of those big metal boxes(a tanker?) with Queen Industries on it in Arkham City?

EDIT: Beaten by strafer

I feel like, if you put Superman in the game (which they won't, it's just an easter egg), you then need to explain why Superman just isn't handling this problem in like a second.

Unless they are teasing an Open World Justice League game that pulls the DC Universe into an Arkham style game, I doubt it is anything more than a DCU easter egg... It isn't like the DCU isn't shared.

Oregano

I feel like, if you put Superman in the game (which they won't, it's just an easter egg), you then need to explain why Superman just isn't handling this problem in like a second.

"Because I'm Batman and Gotham is my City! Go home Clark."

That's literally the justification in 90% of these things.

strafer

How would a Superman game even work?

You're fucking Superman, nothing can kill you.

It's like you're using cheats.

I still have no idea what this game is even about

all I've gleaned from the trailers so far is "the dude from Crysis has come to Gotham, and so Batman must shoot up the entire city in a tank"

Maybe a hint at what they work on next. Maybe just an easter egg, but they usually contained those within Batman mythos afair.

I'd love to see what Rocksteady could do with a Superman video game. Maybe they'd be able to break his curse and make him more interesting, like recent games and movies have failed to do.

Syrant

Neo Member
Superman is located under a truck near the S.S. Anne. Sadly, Batman has no powers, and doesn't know strength.

I wouldn't mind seeing Lex, but Superman would throw me off a little.

They would both make pretty fun bosses, if done right.

Oregano

Seriously how much bull shit is this all the time. Do you know how many people have died because Superman "trusts" Batman?

Probably about the same amount that have died because Batman not only lets Joker live but actively saves his life. Things would be so much easier if someone like Huntress just killed him.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'll just fly around and beat up fools with super punch and make holes in them with laser eyes. But there is a way to make Superman work....his powers are extremely limited because someone infused kryptonite in him. Can't fly for more than a glide. Human strength, x-ray works in bouts, etc.

Skilletor

Seriously how much bull shit is this all the time. Do you know how many people have died because Superman "trusts" Batman?

It's almost like it's a fictional world with a story to tell and having a character that could solve all the problems appear and do just that would make the story boring.

Compbros

Kryptonite, magic, red sun energy (takes away his powers), psychic attacks, physical/energy attacks stronger than his durability.....yeah, there's a lot that can kill the guy.

iNvid02

it would be plastered all over the marketing if that were even a remote possibility imo, or at the very least teased by someone on twitter.

"cant wait for dawn of justice? might wanna check out arkham knight ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)"

companies seem to just throw everything at us to sell the game

I think the EA Superman game had a decent concept of "you don't lose health, the city loses health."

But I'm not sure that works well for a game, either.

tuna_love

Banned
I'm in the same boat as you. I'll just fly around and beat up fools with super punch and make holes in them with laser eyes. But there is a way to make Superman work....his powers are extremely limited because someone infused kryptonite in him. Can't fly for more than a glide. Human strength, x-ray works in bouts, etc.
So he's like batman with worse detective vision?

roytheone

The tie in game of Superman returns had an interesting solution: instead of a life bar for Superman, it had a life bar for Metropolis. The game sucked, but it was a pretty clever solution for the problem.

Make Superman stupid powerful, but give him insurmountable task to accomplish. Make him have to make decisions (make the story matter). Make the lifebar in the game citizens of earth (or his loved ones). Dashing between contenents (or even planets) to rescue/save people (or whole worlds) could be great if done right.

The tie in game of Superman returns had an interesting solution: instead of a life bar for Superman, it had a life bar for Metropolis. The game sucked, but it was a pretty clever solution for the problem.

There's no problem. Do you think a Thor or Hulk game could never work too?

Neff

I have a big problem with Batman and Superman co-existing, unless the ridiculousness of it is approached head-on (like Miller did), and even then it's still pretty damn stupid.

I have no problem with tongue-in-cheek references such as this though.

So Man of Steel was just a poorly-played Let's Play then.

Even easier just use the old "Superman is solar powered" trick... just block out the sun and give him a solar meter that limits how often you can go full out.

stn

I'd settle for a dark and gritty Superman game. Or Green Arrow with Stephen Amell's voice and likeness.

Hex

Banned
A Superman game is the next logical step for Rocksteady after this... wouldn't be surprised if the stories are linked.

How is a Superman game the next logical step when they can choose any Super hero out there if they want to?
Part of what made the Arkham games work were the down and dirty feel of them.
Superman would give you none of that, they would not in any way be similar.
SO please explain "next logical step" if you would

I don't want Superman to appear, but Lex Luthor could be awesome.

The No Man's Land Batman comics had Lex Luthor try to set himself up as a philanthropist/saviour of Gotham City after it was devastated by an earthquake (he helped rebuild it, but only to further his political career, and he was up to shady shit), and he fit in really well.

Compbros

Addressing this part now:

Superman: Emperor Joker - http://joker.wikia.com/wiki/Emperor_Joker_(Storyline)

Joker gains the power to change the Universe, shaping it in a way that the Justice League are villains and the villains are the Justice League. Superman is a criminal but starts to realize this World isn't right. You can have the Joker constantly shift the Universes so you go through several Superman Elseworld tales like Speeding Bullets (Superman lands in Gotham and is adopted by the Waynes, raised as Bruce Wayne) and Red Son (Supes lands in Russia and is a weapon for the Soviet Union). You could also just have him shift the Universe to the worst/defining moments in Supes life like bringing Kandor back and his fight with Doomsday.

Superman: Secret Identity - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman:_Secret_Identity

Superman is a comic character. A boy is born with the name "Clark Kent" after Superman. He is the subject of taunts from other children because of his name. One day he wakes up with the powers of Superman and sets out to do good, learning how to use his powers and what it means to be a hero. The story follows his life from his teens to old age.

Top Bottom