• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG C2 vs C1 OLED Comparison - 12 Differences You NEED To Know!

ParaSeoul

0:00 A friendly competition (App launch speed)
1:32 Difference #2 in C2's favour (less dithering)
2:15 If you're not calibrating... (Better out of the box settings)
2:45 C2 does this better. (Upscaling)
3:43 Improvement #5 on C2 (Less interpolation on Trumotion,less stutter on 24p content)
4:22 C1 does this better. (120hz Black Frame Insertion is not available on the C2)
5:46 Difference #7 (Slightly brighter HDR on C2)
6:05 Minor difference here. (C1 has a less aggressive ABL,leading to it being brighter is some scenes,minor difference overall. Larger sizes of the C2 may be overall brighter than C1)
6:59 Which transition do you prefer?
7:45 #10 is for PC gaming (21:9 and 32:9 aspect ratios available on C2)
8:11 Disabling this annoying pop-up
8:32 So, C1 or C2?

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

Waiting on Samsung QD-OLED before even thinking about buying a TV. Realistically I'll probably end up with a 2nd gen Samsung Neo QLED because I value being able to have HUD's and other static elements from games on my screen without worrying about burning them into my expensive TV.
Every OLED thread has to be filled with LCD people talking about burn in.

Angry American Idol GIF

Paasei

I went from a 48 1080p LED LG to a C1 55 OLED not too long ago. The difference between the OLED panels didn’t really matter at the time as I already got such a massive leap. I kinda want a smaller one for in the spare room so I can play there when the main TV is in use by my partner.

Reactions: Isa

ParaSeoul

I went from a 48 1080p LED LG to a C1 55 OLED not too long ago. The difference between the OLED panels didn’t really matter at the time as I already got such a massive leap. I kinda want a smaller one for in the spare room so I can play there when the main TV is in use by my partner.
both lg and sony have 42 inch OLED's,wait for a sale though because they're currently the same price as the 48 inch models

rofif

Gold Member
c1 48" is 600usd cheaper here... yikes.
I wanted to switch to c2 but now forget it. c1 is too good.
The only annoying thing is that the audio mode likes switching to game optimizer every time I turn on my pc... but I bet c2 also does that.
and c2 don't have 120hz bfi

Methos#1975

Waiting on Samsung QD-OLED before even thinking about buying a TV. Realistically I'll probably end up with a 2nd gen Samsung Neo QLED because I value being able to have HUD's and other static elements from games on my screen without worrying about burning them into my expensive TV.
Same, I'm still rocking the C8 but looking to upgrade this year and the Sony is looking like it might be the next step

Calverz

Gold Member
Can anyone tell me what size the screen is on 21:9 ratio on the LG42C2? I have looked high and low and can’t see. Currently. I have a 34” ultrawide so if it’s close to 34 inches then that would be awesome.

Bartski

Gold Member
just in time, I was just about to buy a C2 as C1s are apparently out of stock at all major retailers. Need to think this through

FeldMonster

C2 seems like the obvious option for me. I am thinking of replacing my secondary TV with a C2 later this year when the price drops a bit. (Looking at the QN90B for my primary) First drop is typically in the summer according to RTINGS.

It is too bad that Vincent used the 48" model for comparison, as the larger sizes of the C2 are brighter and would show more of a difference vs. the C1 (at least according to other reviews out there).

Also, he did not mention that C2 uses a composite chassis and is thus substantially lighter.

Arioco

Why would LG remove the option for BFI from the C2? Not that I care too much, I never use it on my CX (it darkens the image too much for my taste), but some purists love that feature and I'm sure LG knows that.

Anyway improvements seem to be very minor since the C9. Looking forward to seeing how good those Samsung QD-Oled turn out to be.

ethomaz

Banned
Why would LG remove the option for BFI from the C2? Not that I care too much, I never use it on my CX (it darkens the image too much for my taste), but some purists love that feature and I'm sure LG knows that.

Anyway improvements seem to be very minor since the C9. Looking forward to seeing how good those Samsung QD-Oled turn out to be.
Why should you not like less blur image? I mean BFI makes yours eyes no generation real motion blur.

It is weird for C2 don’t have it.

I agree it is an trade off option but it should be there.

Edit - It seems like it only lack 120Hz BFI… lower refresh is there yet like 60Hz BFI that is basically what you need in games.

Maybe they removed BFI 120Hz because you could not use HDR, VRR, etc.

Last edited:

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Why should you not like less blur image? I mean BFI makes yours eyes no generation real motion blur.

Edit - It seems like it only lack 120Hz BFI… lower refresh is there yet like 60Hz BFI that is basically what you need in games.

I thought I cared about BFI before I got my CX but it’s a feature I tried once and never again. Too much flicker combined with a dim image for very little perceivable gain.

Pagusas

Elden Member

the compromise on brightness is wayyyyy to big a hit to use BFi. it’s just not viable.

Arioco

In my case I find motion good enough on my CX, of course the less blur the better, but the trade off (a much dimmer image) is too high a price in my opinion.

But this is just my opinion, other people think different and BFI is something crucial to them, so it's a good thing the option is there to please everyone. LG shouldn't have removed it from the C2.

ethomaz

Banned
In my case I find motion good enough on my CX, of course the less blur the better, but the trade off (a much dimmer image) is too high a price in my opinion.

But this is just my opinion, other people think different and BFI is something crucial to them, so it's a good thing the option is there to please everyone. LG shouldn't have removed it from the C2.
I just did a bit for research.
It is not removed just limited to 60Hz like it was in C9 (CX and C1 has 60Hz and 120Hz BFI).

Just to point that on CX/C1 you had to give a lot of features to enable BFI 120Hz including HDR and VRR.

BFI 120Hz is not worth due the lack of HDR imo.
BFI 60Hz is really good.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Gold Member
I really give up, I am going to a store and close my eyes and randomly choose a tv, if I keep waiting or reading reviews and technical comparisons between every tv, I will either go crazy or I will never upgrade from my 2017 Samsung tv.

ethomaz

Banned
I really give up, I am going to a store and close my eyes and randomly choose a tv, if I keep waiting or reading reviews and technical comparisons between every tv, I will either go crazy or I will never upgrade from my 2017 Samsung tv.
That is for any product… every years there is something better and new. Just look at PC upgrades… if you always wait the next release you never upgrade.

Choose what to buy from what is against now… what will launch in the next months even if better won’t be a drastic change.

Most first impressions between LG OLED and QD-OLED says the difference is mostly imperceptible.. it is not a big jump.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Can anyone tell me what size the screen is on 21:9 ratio on the LG42C2? I have looked high and low and can’t see. Currently. I have a 34” ultrawide so if it’s close to 34 inches then that would be awesome.

21:9 on a 42 inch 16:9 would be effectively like having a 40 inch Ultrawide.
You'd have about 2.5 inches of black bars top and bottom.

Swift_Star

Gold Member

BFI is terrible. I’ve used once and it is a really bad feature. Not that it shouldn’t be there for those that want it but it just makes everything look worse to me.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Only comparison I'm interested in is the LG OLED vs the new OLED that Sony is using made by Samsung Display (?)
The Sony A95K.

Could be compared the LG G2, but it will cost more than the LG.

About 39.8” when on a 42” TV.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
BFI is terrible. I’ve used once and it is a really bad feature. Not that it shouldn’t be there for those that want it but it just makes everything look worse to me.
That weird.
BFI remove the motion blur your eyes create… it is suppose to looks better.

LG CX with BFI 60Hz get ridiculous clear image n games from what I tested.

It does show flicker when using with Windows Desktop but I don’t use my TV with notebook… so use it on games or others videos content… not to static desktop use.

BFI 60Hz + HDR makes games just too great to not use it.

Edit - That make me realize maybe people blaming 30fps give motion sickness on OLED are not using BFI 🤔

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Realistically BFI was only usable in SDR and even then, the difference in clarity wasn't dramatic. If you play a lot of older games then it might be important, otherwise C2 shows a slight upgrade in all of the key areas (near-blacks, motion interpolation especially, gradation a bit). Every year it's 2 steps forward and one step back.

BFI implementation varies between manufacturers. Based on reviews Panasonic is the best when it comes to motion resolution while Sony's 2020 models offered least noticeable brightness drop on the lowest setting.
I suspect Panasonic will be mad, they invested a lot of effort into their BFI implementation and now they probably have to scrap it in the newer models.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Realistically BFI was only usable in SDR and even then, the difference in clarity wasn't dramatic. If you play a lot of older games then it might be important, otherwise C2 shows a slight upgrade in all of the key areas (near-blacks, motion interpolation especially, gradation a bit). Every year it's 2 steps forward and one step back.
BFI works best with HDR in CX.
In SDR you lose too much brightness… BFI + HDR is the best option for games imo.

On C2 it should be the same.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

In SDR you lose too much brightness… BFI + HDR is the best option for games imo.

You should never use BFI w HDR because it skews EOTF tracking so not only highlights are dimmer but whole picture as can be seen on the graphs below (measurements from C1 taken by HDTVTest). So it becomes wildly inaccurate, not just dimmer. No manufacturer compensates for that because BFI is not designed to be used with HDR.

And in case of CX there is noticeable black crush with BFI in both SDR and HDR. They improved it on the C1.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
You should never use BFI w HDR because it skews EOTF tracking so not only highlights are dimmer but whole picture as can be seen on the graphs below (measurements from C1 taken by HDTVTest). No manufacturer compensates for that because BFI is not designed to be used with HDR.

And in case of CX there is noticeable black crush with BFI in both SDR and HDR. They improved it with C1.

HDTVtest says that but he is probably technically right…

But the reality in terms of IQ and motion BFI 60Hz + HDR is basically perfection on CX.
Just try yourself.

The flickering is not noticeable in games the HDR basically cover all the drop in brightness generated by BFI (after all it inject black frames).

Sadly BFI 120Hz doesn’t work with HDR so it is useless.

PS. If you have a LOG OLED and it is not using BFI for 60 or 30 fps games you are doing it wrong.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
C2 is trash, get c1 while you can.
I believe C2 is better in every way from the video.

The lack of BFI 120Hz was basically a non-issue because of as already a useless feature in CX and C1 because you could not enable HDR.

BFI 60Hz on C2 probably works better than CX/C1.

Last edited:

No, sdr is where bfi makes the most sense where you don't need the extra brightness for hdr.

I still use 120hz bfi on hdr though because I need the best motion as possible.

I believe C2 is better in every way from the video.

The lack of BFI 120Hz was basically a non-issue because of as already a useless feature in CX and C1 because you could not enable HDR.

BFI 60Hz on C2 probably works better than CX/C1.
Wrong, wrong wrong my dude.

120hz bfi is what you want, 60hz bfi is too flickery to be used.

Vincent is partnered with lg so he needs to shill here.

C1 had the best motion I've ever seen for OLED so the omission of 120hz bfi on c2 is even more shameful.

Last edited:

Isa

Haha damn. Well I guess I have trash then. Have this trash sitting in our living room since Monday. My girl loves it, we put on Dunkirk in UHD and she was super into it like when we saw it in theatres. Looks great. Its feels weird having the ability to do 120 or whatever now. I did have to look up some settings that bring the most out of the tv, but it was worth it. We went with the 65 inch but I almost did the 77". Got it with an LG sound bar which I thought it might need but damn, the tv alone has great sound, I'm so used to movies being hard to hear characters speaking but now everything is so clear and impactful, and that AI setting simulates 3d sound fairly well. Its not quite quality headphones obviously but its impressive, and the whole setup combined makes for a great sound system for music. We used to stream through my pc's speakers but now my girl hooks up her phone through the TV/Soundbar and goes about her day.

rofif

Gold Member
As is my LG B7.

Got terrible burn in theses days. Like the whole street fighter 5 lifebar with counter.
b7 is good 5 years old. Fair enough.
Current tech is better but I will be happy if mine survives 2-3 years.
For now - c1 1 year of usage on ps5 and pc. Over 2k hours and looks brand new

Last edited:
Haha damn. Well I guess I have trash then. Have this trash sitting in our living room since Monday.
It's trash in the context that lg is removing important features (as well as having more aggressive dimming it seems) compared to prior models but charging more.

The fact that you like it is exactly why lg did it... they know they can get away with it with the masses but as a video enthusiast I can tell you that you got a worse product for more money vs the c1.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
b7 is good 5 years old. Fair enough.
Current tech is better but I will be happy if mine survives 2-3 years.
For now - c1 1 year of usage on ps5 and pc. Over 2k hours and looks brand new
Same here with CX… screen as new yet.

Isa

It's trash in the context that lg is removing important features (as well as having more aggressive dimming it seems) compared to prior models but charging more.

The fact that you like it is exactly why lg did it... they know they can get away with it with the masses but as a video enthusiast I can tell you that you got a worse product for more money vs the c1.
Fair enough. I don't thinks its me being a fool and them trying to exploit me for it. There are so many features in the TV that I'll never use. The price wasn't an issue for us. Any company is going to try and cut corners as well as generate revenue any way they can. And with all these Tele's connected to the net it's fairly easy to gain the data showing what people want and use. Not to mention market research on what the average consumer wants in a new TV.

Swift_Star

Gold Member
As is my LG B7.

Got terrible burn in theses days. Like the whole street fighter 5 lifebar with counter.
Some people are fooling themselves if they believe new OLED won’t get burn in. It comes with the tech and it’s inevitable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom