• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG files trade complaint against Sony over alleged patent infringements in PS3

Korean company LG wants Sony's PlayStation 3 and Bravia tellys banned in the US for what it claims are patent infringements relating to Blu-ray playback.

The Foss Patents blog contacted Eurogamer to reveal documents filed with the US International Trade Commission in Washington relating to the complaint.

The ITC has the power to block imports of products that violate US patents.

LG claims Sony is infringing four of its patents in a complaint that broadly relates to "certain electronic devices having a Blu-Ray Disc player and components thereof", but the PlayStation 3 (Model No. CECH-2501A) is the only Sony product to be specifically named in the main document of the complaint.

A Bloomberg reports suggests LG's claims are revenge for cases brought against it by Sony in December. Sony claims the Seoul-based company is infringing seven of its patents relating to LG phones. Sony has also filed a civil lawsuit against LG Blu-ray players.

LG and Sony are the world's second- and third-largest TV makers, trailing Samsung.

Via Eurogamer

BUY YOUR PS3 TODAY!

SamBishop

Banned
Perhaps I'm a bit foolish in thinking this, but doesn't the Consortium establish usage rights for the tech when they all get together, and isn't this something that might have come up, I dunno, like four fucking years ago?! I will genuinely give LG the benefit of the doubt on this; it's entirely possible Sony did something naughty, but... y'know... Four years.

I would very much love to see someone properly break this down. I'm sure in time it will be. Take it to Texas, LG! Show that evil Japanese company that made Blu-ray standard what South Korea is all about!

Hanmik

T8t7e.jpg

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
I have an LG phone for work and i support anyone suing them.

"BEEP, BEEP, BI DING, BI DING."

"I FUCKING CLOSED YOU, YOU'RE SHUT!, SHUT THE FUCK UP!. WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME!!!!!!!!!"

"Continue to internet?."

"WHAT, NO, FUCK OFF!!!"

"Bi Ding"

I looked up that model and it seems to be the newest Slim.

I'm surprised they did not go after the original PS3 for infringing on their fridge designs.

Kadey said:
I've said it time and time again never to trust the Koreans.
If you live in NYC, you wouldn't say that. Koreans are awesome when it comes to breaking street dates for games........Oh shit....LOL!

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
I have an LG phone for work and i support anyone suing them.

"BEEP, BEEP, BI DING, BI DING."

"I FUCKING CLOSED YOU, YOU'RE SHUT!, SHUT THE FUCK UP!. WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME!!!!!!!!!"

"Continue to internet?."

"WHAT, NO, FUCK OFF!!!"

"Bi Ding"

I feel sorry for anyone buying an LG phone. :(

itxaka

Defeatist
Related to BD players? Isn't Sony one of the main participants in the BD association? Shouldn't that relieve them for all BD patents problems?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
ShinobiFist said:
If you live in NYC, you wouldn't say that. Koreans are awesome when it comes to breaking street dates for games........Oh shit....LOL!

Only because they want to be the first in everything!

Haunted

I NEED SCISSORS said:

I'm surprised they did not go after the original PS3 for infringing on their fridge designs.
meh.ro4989.jpg

darkwing

I NEED SCISSORS said:

lol nearly spilled my water

Danielsan said:
I wish Wollan was still here. :(

Yeah, I saw where he was playing through Halo Reach this weekend, actually. It's always a rare and interesting occasion when he shows up on XBL.

Art Teitlebaum said:
Amazing patent wars. US patent laws are a constant source of hilarity.

OH WHAT IN THE WORLD DO YOU MEAN!?

Like Immersion vs Sony!? Pfft, that was a fair case. It's not like Sony was using the technology YEAAAAARS before Immersion! Even if they were, Immersion had a patent on it!...

shm....

patent laws need reform....

I NEED SCISSORS said:

Not enough :lol faces in the world

The Faceless Master said:
smh.

more evidence on how government granted virtual monopolies and litigation stifle innovation and consumer choice.

Surely you jest!

Top Bottom