• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG files trade complaint against Sony over alleged patent infringements in PS3

Didn't see it posted yet. There are about 300.000 PlayStation 3 consoles taken by police from Sony's biggest warehouse in Europe (located in The Netherlands). That's a lot of consoles.

And LG is claiming to have lost about 150 - 180 million Euros because Sony didn't pay them. 2,50 per PS3.

Edi: And LG wants 350 million euros to settle this mess. That is including the 150 - 180 million from exisiting PS3s and a 'guarantee' for future PS3 sales.

Omiee

ClosingADoor said:
Didn't see it posted yet. There are about 300.000 PlayStation 3 consoles taken by police from Sony's biggest warehouse in Europe (located in The Netherlands). That's a lot of consoles.

And LG is claiming to have lost about 150 - 180 million Euros because Sony didn't pay them. 2,50 per PS3.

woow thats a lot

test_account

XP-39C²
godels rotating universe said:
Karma for Sony's recent legal actions.
But when LG does the same, how does that affect their karma? Someone else will sue LG? Endless cycle begins? Hehe :)

ClosingADoor said:

Edi: And LG wants 350 million euros to settle this mess. That is including the 150 - 180 million from exisiting PS3s and a 'guarantee' for future PS3 sales.
How did LG lose 150 - 180 million Euros becaus Sony didnt pay them?

test_account said:

In pretty much the same way that the RIAA asserted that their artists lost billions through file sharing - they lost potential revenue, but nothing tangible

jorma

is now taking requests
kurtrussell said:
In pretty much the same way that the RIAA asserted that their artists lost billions through file sharing - they lost potential revenue, but nothing tangible

1 year prison sentences for all the sony execs confirmed? :p

test_account said:

Lost income. They value their patents at 2.50 per PlayStation 3. So with the amount of PS3s produced, they missed out on 150 - 180 million.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
kurtrussell said:
No, they're claiming allegedly unpaid royalties.

Hanmik

ClosingADoor said:

source..?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
kurtrussell said:
How is that any different to what the artists were claiming?
The difference is that the PS3s are actually sold. They seem to want a precise share for every single shipped console, which is completely different from lost sales.

test_account

XP-39C²
kurtrussell said:
ClosingADoor said:
Lost income. They value their patents at 2.50 per PlayStation 3. So with the amount of PS3s produced, they missed out on 150 - 180 million.
Oh, like that. I thought that maybe they already had this money and lost/spent it somehow. I wonder how much Sony values their patents that they claim LG are violating.

Hanmik

ClosingADoor said:
Dutch gaming website Insidegamer (http://www.insidegamer.nl/bedrijf/u...oen-dollar-schade-door-patentbreuk-Sony.html). They got one of their editors in the courtroom.

thanks...

Currently, the lawsuit still working in The Hague. If you do want to join, we recommend the development of earlier today to go back to read. The ruling in the lawsuit is expected today at 17.15 hours, so we hope to clarify.

is that like 10 minutes ago..? or in an hour..?

ymmv

Banned
Sony won the court case.

Nieuws | 10 maart 2011 - Sony heeft het kort geding tegen LG gewonnen. De rechter in Den Haag heeft zojuist uitspraak gedaan en bepaald dat de beslaglegging van LG op 300.000 PlayStation 3's direct moet opschorten. Daarnaast moet LG de proceskosten van circa 130.000 euro betalen.

De uitspraak verplicht LG om morgenochtend direct bij de Belastingdienst te melden dat de beslaglegging wordt opgeschort. Voor elke dag dat LG dit niet doet, moet het bedrijf een boete van 200.000 euro betalen. Daarnaast moet LG voortaan eerst overleg met Sony plegen, voordat het overgaat tot beslaglegging.

De voorlopige conclusie van een roerig dagje in Den Haag is dus dat Sony de voorlopige winnaar is in het patentprobleem tussen LG en Sony. Volgens LG heeft Sony diverse Blu-ray-patenten van LG geschonden in de PlayStation 3. Daarover is geen uitspraak gedaan, want dit kort geding had als onderwerp de beslaglegging van LG op PlayStation 3's.

De vraag die nu blijft staan is hoe de relatie tussen Sony en LG zal verlopen. De problemen zijn er nog steeds en het verhaal is dus niet afgelopen. Waarschijnlijk blijft de bodemprocedure staan en dat betekent dat de onduidelijkheid rondom de eventuele inbreuk van patenten door Sony niet is weggenomen. Ook is onduidelijk waar de in beslag genomen PlayStation 3's nu heengaan. In ieder geval mogen de PlayStation 3's vanaf morgenochtend 11.00 uur weer gedistribueerd worden. In Nederland én in Europa.

Sony will get all PS3s back. LG will have to pay Sony's legal costs.

Google Translate:
"News | March 10, 2011 - Sony has the lawsuit against LG won. The court in The Hague has just ruled and determined that the seizure of LG at 300,000 PlayStation 3's right to suspend. In addition, LG legal costs of 130,000 euros to pay

The statement required to LG directly to the Tax morning to report that the seizure is suspended. For every day that LG does not, the company must pay a fine of 200,000 euros. In addition, LG will first consult with Sony now commit before proceeding to distraint.

The tentative conclusion of a tumultuous day in The Hague is that Sony is the provisional winner in the patent problem between LG and Sony. According to LG, Sony Blu-ray several patents LG violated in the PlayStation 3. This involved not rule, for this interim was the subject of the seizure at LG's PlayStation 3.

The question that now remains is how the relationship between Sony and LG will be. The problems are still there and the story is not over. Probably, the merits and that means that the uncertainty surrounding the possible infringement of patents by Sony is not removed. It is also unclear where the seized PlayStation 3's go now. In any event, the PlayStation 3's from 11.00 hours tomorrow morning again distributed. In the Netherlands and in Europe. ."

And we have the ruling: Sony won

All 300.000 PS3s will be returned back to Sony and PS3s can be let back intro Europe (although they aren't really clear on that last one, update with more details is expected later).

LG will have to pay 130.000 euro for the costs of the hearing.

Edit: LG must take care of the details surrounding the return of the PS3s tomorrow. Every day they don't do this will cost them a fine of 200.000 euros.

Since this was only about the seizure of the consoles, the battle surrounding patent infringement will continue later.

TunaLover

2w328ah.jpg

Cornbread78

ClosingADoor said:

All 300.000 PS3s will be returned back to Sony and PS3s can be let back intro Europe (although they aren't really clear on that last one, update with more details is expected later).

Edit: LG must take care of the details surrounding the return of the PS3s tomorrow. Every day they don't do this will cost them a fine of 200.000 euros.

Since this was only about the seizure of the consoles, the battle surrounding patent infringement will continue later.

It seems that the siezure without pure proof of victory will also hold heavy repercussions on the court system and on LG if Sony was to counter sue here. At least in the US it would get very very ugly!

Curufinwe

ClosingADoor said:

Is that 130 thousand euro?

Omiee

Mrbob said:
Wow some of you on the first three pages look foolish now jumping to conclusions. :p

my thoughts exactly. Im realy happy sony won and the PS3's are being released.
Sucks to be LG.

JWong

Banned
130 thousand is the cost of the hearing. I thought they were to compensate Sony millions for the week of the ban.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
JWong said:
130 thousand is the cost of the hearing. I thought they were to compensate Sony millions for the week of the ban.

That might happen if Sony ultimately wins the case. I mean, the bigger case about the patent infringement. This was just a lift on the ruling that caused PS3s to be confiscated in the interim.

Cyborg

Sony wins summary proceedings against LG

News | March 10, 2011 - It was a spectacular day today, because after we first reported that the Dutch police thousands of PS3s took , then it became clear that there are 300,000 PS3s have been seized and then LG heard that180 million U.S. dollars revenue loss have suffered , there is now news about the lawsuit between Sony and LG.There is a statement, Sony has won the lawsuit against LG. The court in The Hague has just ruled and determined that the seizure of LG at 300,000 PlayStation 3's right to suspend. In addition, the LG costs of around 130,000 euros. This reporter knows our smooth Jelle to report from The Hague.

The statement required to LG directly to the Tax morning to report that the seizure is suspended. For every day that LG does not, the company must pay a fine of 200,000 euros. In addition, LG will first consult with Sony now commit before proceeding to distraint.

The tentative conclusion of a tumultuous day in The Hague is that Sony is the provisional winner in the patent problem between LG and Sony. According to LG, Sony Blu-ray several patents LG violated in the PlayStation 3. This involved not rule, for this interim was the subject of the seizure at LG's PlayStation 3.

The question that now remains is how the relationship between Sony and LG will be. The problems are still there and the story is not over. Probably, the merits and that means that the uncertainty surrounding the possible infringement of patents by Sony is not removed. It is also unclear where the seized PlayStation 3's go now. In any event, the PlayStation 3's from 11.00 hours tomorrow morning again distributed. In the Netherlands and in Europe.

mclem

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't Sony just overturned the seizure? The actual infringement is still up in the air.

JWong

Banned
gofreak said:
That might happen if Sony ultimately wins the case. I mean, the bigger case about the patent infringement. This was just a lift on the ruling that caused PS3s to be confiscated in the interim.
Ah, I see.

mclem said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't Sony just overturned the seizure? The actual infringement is still up in the air.
Yes, this case was about that. The real issue of patent infringement still needs to be sorted out.

Mithos

mclem said:

Yes, this will be the new "Infinity Ward"-series of 2011. >_<

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
mclem said:
Yup, no victory yet. It's good that Sony can keep distributing PS3s in the meantime, but that's about it.

Omiee said:
fuck yeah i just read sony won, fuck you lg and your stupid products.
Classy.

LiquidMetal14 said:
EVERYBODY START CRYING SONY DEM BASTARDS WON
Because everybody hates Sony 'round here, right?
If there was an infringement, Sony must fairly compensate LG. If there wasn't one, LG must fairly compensate Sony. That's it. Do you people need to bring up silly conzolewarz or call out "haters" everywhere?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm being humorous, don't take me too serious for Pete's sake. I can be rational and concise. I'm glad this is cleared up for now.

Of course the consumer wins. This isn't WWE wrestling.

Cheerilee

I know it's old and overturned but...

LG has won a court order enabling it to seize all new PS3 across the Netherlands – including those already in Dutch homes – in a dispute that centres on Sony's allegedly infringing use of Blu-ray technology belonging to LG.

LG wasn't going to be taking gamers PS3's away. They were taking store stock, and figured that if an individual has multiple new, unopened PS3s in their home, then they're a home-based PS3-selling business.

If your PS3 is still new, then it counts as store stock because you can resell it as new.

Top Bottom