• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG promises HDR gaming input lag patch for 2016 OLED sets

Are you using a receiver?

I run my PS4 Pro into a Denon x3200w - perhaps that has an impact on the situation? I just confirmed, it works fine with HDCP 2.2 on the B6. I might try plugging directly into the TV and see if it breaks.

I had the same issue as him when plugged directly into my 65" B6

I tried known good cables, so it was not a cable issue. At first boot, everything was fine. The problem didn't start for me until I fired up Ratchet and Clank and HDR mode was engaged. Then the screen went black and I could only hear bits of garbled audio.

Running through my Pioneer receiver (vsx-1130k), I don't have any issues w/ the ps4 pro. Which is how I intended to use it anyway, but I was surprised that the Pro had issues without it.

Caayn

How about with HDR?

A friend of mine has a 2015 OLED and HDR games DO NOT work properly at all. The white level is completely borked with very dim results. No clue why.
HDR in gamemode produces a slightly dimmer picture compared to outside of gamemode.

If your friend keep having problems (s)he might try to use a non-gamemode with trumotion disabled. 2015 sets should give similar input when trumotion is disabled compared to gamemode.
Read: *although there are conflicting reports*...
Sorry, must've skipped over that somehow.

Afrikan

Crap. Just found out no 3d on the b series. Not so sure if I want to bite, now.

go to your local Bestbuy or Eletronic store.... check out the C6, which is priced similarly. And see if the curve is that big a deal for you. It's not like other curve TVs I've seen.

but the C6 has 3D. But it has one less HDMI port (3) than the B6/E6 (4 ports) if that is important to you.

antibolo

Banned
Will next years TVs likely have lower input lag than this years models or do they focus on other areas? I dont follow TVs closely but the 4k stuff is really catching my interest since i have a Pro now.

TV manufacturers mostly don't give a flying shit about input lag, and I can't see it suddenly changing next year. If you want a TV that is good for gaming you're still going to have to do some research first.

Decado

go to your local Bestbuy or Eletronic store.... check out the C6, which is priced similarly. And see if the curve is that big a deal for you. It's not like other curve TVs I've seen.

but the C6 has 3D. But it has one less HDMI port (3) than the B6/E6 (4 ports) if that is important to you.
lol. Not even on bestbuy Canada's website. I hate buying electronics here :-(

I almost went for the C6 for the 3D. I ended up sticking with the extra HDMI as 3D wasn't that important to me. You're right though - the curve is much less subtle than other sets out there. Still not a fan, but its one of the best curved set designs I've seen.

Wounded

I almost went for the C6 for the 3D. I ended up sticking with the extra HDMI as 3D wasn't that important to me. You're right though - the curve is much less subtle than other sets out there. Still not a fan, but its one of the best curved set designs I've seen.

Plus the C6 has lower lag if thats an issue for you.

Plus the C6 has lower lag if thats an issue for you.

It's not but thanks.:) I've had the B6 for nearly two weeks and finished up Mafia 3 last night, played through a good chunk of Ratchet and Clank and Uncharted 4 in HDR with no issues at all. Feels about in line with my VT50 Plasma which is what I upgraded from. I'm simply not that sensitive to input lag issues. I'm glad to see its getting a patch for those that are though.

sector4

Well done everyone, glad LG is stepping up for OLED owners, hopefully it's not just an empty promise and a patch comes out within the next couple months.

My guess is they'll get if to a static point instead of the variable nature it is now. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking it's not Kiely you're going to see input lag in the sub 30 range guys.

daveo42

Banned
I'm using the B6 and I got no picture with the PS4 Pro when I first turned it on. Had to go into safe mode and force it to use HDCP 1.4 to get it to work. It seems to be a known issue affecting other sets as well. Something to do with the device identification technology or something.

HDCP 2.2 works just fine on the set, though. I have a UHD Blu-ray player hooked up and it plays UHD Blu-rays just fine, as well as Amazon/Netflix 4K/HDR content.

It's a handshaking issue. I have the same problem where it won't recognize the video signal from the Pro unless it's set to 1.4. I can turn HDCP off, reset it to Automatic in Safe Mode and then get it to boot back into the XMB with HDCP 2.2, but rest mode or shutting it down is a toss up between it working again or not. More of a hassle if I want to play something or just watch a TV show right now, but I think I can bare it until Sony/LG get a proper update to fix this bug.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Are you using a receiver?

I run my PS4 Pro into a Denon x3200w - perhaps that has an impact on the situation? I just confirmed, it works fine with HDCP 2.2 on the B6. I might try plugging directly into the TV and see if it breaks.

No receiver. Direct connection with the HDMI cable that came supplied with the PS4 Pro. I tried each HDMI port to no avail.

That said, HDCP 2.2 works just fine on the set. I have it working with UHD HDR Blu-rays on a separate dedicated player hooked up to the TV.

edit:

Amazon has the 55" version at $1,797 right now! That's a steal. It's $200 cheaper than it was just a few days ago! I bought it for $2k at Best Buy.

edit2:

yay! Just called up Best Buy and they credited back the difference to my card. Even more pleased with this purchase now!

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I have a c6. Best 3D I ever Saw. Rewatching all my 3D movie for this.

3D is incredible on the C6. I still wasn't sold on 3D movies even after seeing lots and lots of them in cinemas. 3D movies on the a 4K OLED C6 is a different matter. I don't know it's my imagination, but CGI movies in 3D look better, sharper than regular 2D Blu-Rays or 3D movies in cinemas.

I've now become a big fan of 3D Blu-Rays and bought 14 of 'em in less than a month.

Didn't know this. Any suggestions for an HDMI splitter/switch?

Sayers

pgtmNPL.png

Great, now I'm all self-conscious about my height too

TLZ

Banned
If this is true then oled will truly be the best gaming TV. I already got the KS9500 months ago because it looked awesome enough and lag input edged it for me. Will be happy for the oled guys really. If this trend continues down the years then oled will be my next buy.

Will keep an eye on this.

taoofjord

Oh shit that's awesome. Might have to sell my KS8000 for a 2017 OLED now that it soundly like they're paying more attention to gaming lag. Fingers crossed.!

Hah, what a hit. I'm totally happy for this guy too. Glad LG is sorting this, as I'm hoping to big up an LG model next year. Hopefully an OLED!

Well done everyone, glad LG is stepping up for OLED owners, hopefully it's not just an empty promise and a patch comes out within the next couple months.

He even started a thread lol

Holla! Glad the power of the people worked to get attention to this. I couldn't have done it without 2500+ signatures and getting into contact with Forbes and others. The original article on Forbes had 40,000+ views itself.

yoplay

I had the same issue as him when plugged directly into my 65" B6

I tried known good cables, so it was not a cable issue. At first boot, everything was fine. The problem didn't start for me until I fired up Ratchet and Clank and HDR mode was engaged. Then the screen went black and I could only hear bits of garbled audio.

Running through my Pioneer receiver (vsx-1130k), I don't have any issues w/ the ps4 pro. Which is how I intended to use it anyway, but I was surprised that the Pro had issues without it.

Are u able to control the inputs when running through ur av receiver with the magic remote?

Why do you want Netflix or Ama Video on your PS4 Pro when the (LG Oled at least) TV itself has better apps for that???

Despite that, I never had problems with HDCP - does this concern the E6 too?
AFAIK only the B6, though I had some problems with watching a 3D Blu-ray by using the Pro on my E6. That obviously doesn't concern HDCP 2.2 though.

Petition to get lower input lag on OLED get's tons of views and 1000's of signatures. The one to get Nvidia to stop blocking adaptive sync on their cards and support adaptive sync nobody gave two shits about. :(

McSpidey

I'll still wait for the actual firmware before getting excited over this.

Re HDCP 2.2 and PS Pro - I have an E6 and have no issues. I tested both direct and through the receiver, both work - though I found out only 3 of my receiver ports do HDCP 2.2 - using the 1.4 port makes the PS4 say it's limited to 2K HDR.

Adam M

Those HDR numbers aren't consistent with what we've seen on other sites (RTINGs even posted a video where you can see the latency counter in real-time)

There is no proper measuring device for 4K/4K HDR yet.

4K should have lower input lag than lower resolutions because no need to upscale it

Sanctuary

Kyoufu

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Adam M

That's a bad test. Does not make sense.

Consider this - what if they used something like Killzone 2 for this test? Can you imagine that? The number would be over 200ms total!

Some says 15-20ms is unplayable, some says 50ms is totally fine. People are too obsessed with the numbers...People WANT to notice the input lag, they are looking for it just like they do with banding, haloing etc. they want to notice the issues and not focusing on the content. At the previous console gen most TVs had 50-70ms input lag but no one cared till some AV freaks started to create measuring tools (leo bodnar etc). And don't forget that those were the times when people started to throw out the analog TVs (0ms input lag) and enter the digital world (+50ms lag) and yet not many people complained back then.

Do you really think that this is terrible?

https://youtu.be/S_H2mVDRdzE

Sanctuary

Some says 15-20ms is unplayable, some says 50ms is totally fine. People are too obsessed with the numbers...People WANT to notice the input lag, they are looking for it just like they do with banding, haloing etc. they want to notice the issues and not focusing on the content. At the previous console gen most TVs had 50-70ms input lag but no one cared till some AV freaks started to create measuring tools (leo bodnar etc). And don't forget that those were the times when people started to throw out the analog TVs (0ms input lag) and enter the digital world (+50ms lag) and yet not many people complained back then.

Do you really think that this is terrible?

https://youtu.be/S_H2mVDRdzE

Some of what you say might be true, but it's not entirely correct. Many people DO notice input lag after a certain threshold. It's especially noticeable in fighting games. In 2011 I ended up playing on some 55'' mounted TVs at a local gaming shop and they felt really "off" to me, but I wasn't sure exactly why (my own TV was 20ms). Everything just felt like playing in mud and unresponisve. As it turns out, the TVs were 96ms...
On top of just the way it feels, it will also drastically hurt your ability to do combos that require extremely tight timing, sometimes becoming impossible.

As for your video; the jerking of the analogs are very poor demonstrations to film. In fact, aside from seeing something like a gun firing after the press of a button, it's extremely hard to guage the way input lag feels if you're simply observing. This isn't that different from 30fps vs 60fps in the way a game feels. You might be able to see the difference in the framerate by simply watching, but you still don't get the entire picture without actually playing it yourself.

Adam M

Some of what you say might be true, but it's not entirely correct. Many people DO notice input lag after a certain threshold. It's especially noticeable in fighting games. In 2011 I ended up playing on some 55'' mounted TVs at a local gaming shop and they felt really "off" to me, but I wasn't sure exactly why (my own TV was 20ms). Everything just felt like playing in mud and unresponisve. As it turns out, the TVs were 96ms...
On top of just the way it feels, it will also drastically hurt your ability to do combos that require extremely tight timing, sometimes becoming impossible.

As for your video; the jerking of the analogs are very poor demonstrations to film. In fact, aside from seeing something like a gun firing after the press of a button, it's extremely hard to guage the way input lag feels if you're simply observing. This isn't that different from 30fps vs 60fps in the way a game feels. You might be able to see the difference in the framerate by simply watching, but you still don't get the entire picture without actually playing it yourself.

Close to the 1 sec is of course disadvantage (specially with a 60fps fighting game).40-50ms is noticeable but nothing crazy and this is kinda the worst case scenario in todays TVs so I think it's a little bit overthinked :) So it's one thing if it's noticeable and one thing when it's high that it annoys you.

Yeah, not the best demo but at least you can see the controller, tried to ask the guy to upload some fighting game or sports game but he did not reply (yet). And like you said, you can tell the numbers and watch the videos, you have to try it out yourself, if you don't like it then return it :) Once I played Mortal Kombat but it was a 1v1 match in person so I concentrated to have fun not the issues and later I checked and this TV was a 54ms TV, while my monitor is 5ms so I didn't even notice during fun game. But when I look for it I can see it even if it's 20-30ms.

Also worth to mention that todays animations in games are much slower than back then because it's more natural now. Just the new DOOM and few others have really fast animation where reflex movements are crucial

Top Bottom