• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG promises HDR gaming input lag patch for 2016 OLED sets

I've had my 65c6p since last year as I found a good deal on it. Have autoupdate on and didn't hear about this issue. Haven't notcied any real difference. Games look gorgeous on it and the 3d on it is second to none. Of course I have seen the 2017 models yet but I have a top line xbr and this beats it in everything but brightness and motion smoothness. Sony Tv has been one of the best in smoothing out motion in movies.

Edit: Wait does this update only affect the b6 models? Can someone fill me in please?
I don't know whether the newest B6 FW finally introduces HLG and further dims the HDR game mode, but it did on the C6/E6 a few months ago as discussed in this thread.

Exactly the same here. Either the Netflix app, or I change input to HDMI 2 which has nothing connected and then it will display the screensaver of the dog, landscape etc.

I just checked to be sure and automatic updates is off. But even if it did install by itself for some reason I don't have to worry with my bright room where the TV is. Still LG, stop messing things up with your updates, damn.

Damn I just realized I'm on the new firmware. I must be since they updated my TV with all new landscapes and removed the old ones, including the dog. Fml. I loved that dog.

Kambing

Hard for me to fathom the back to back fuck-ups LG has made with each subsequent firmware update. Talk about squandering good will. Work around solutions to get things back to normal or proper is unacceptable. Glad I upgraded my B6 to the C7. If these screw ups continue to happen in 2018 I'll have to take my business elsewhere. So glad more players have entered the OLED market.

daveo42

Banned
There a way to roll back to previous updates or are you locked? I just turned on my TV to realize I got the update loaded today while I was at work. Black levels being compromised on an OLED seem insane to me. LG needs to fix this shit or else having an OLED with glowing, near-black pixels seems like I wasted money on the display.

holygeesus

Banned
Hard for me to fathom the back to back fuck-ups LG has made with each subsequent firmware update. Talk about squandering good will. Work around solutions to get things back to normal or proper is unacceptable. Glad I upgraded my B6 to the C7. If these screw ups continue to happen in 2018 I'll have to take my business elsewhere. So glad more players have entered the OLED market.

Huh? LG are supporting their previous generation as well as any company I can remember. They could have ring-fenced HLG etc for their 2017 sets. The fact they are even supporting old tech is to be commended.

Kambing

Huh? LG are supporting their previous generation as well as any company I can remember. They could have ring-fenced HLG etc for their 2017 sets. The fact they are even supporting old tech is to be commended.

Certainly, I give LG credit for continuing to support the 2016 models, though that is not at all what i take issue with -- from the dimming of HDR (though this is somewhat tied to mapping) to now the elevated black levels, all of which materialized through updates.

Question, what did you do with your old set?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
As I accidentally have the HDR Game update on my E6 I noticed one benefit, you can set colour gamut to normal in HDR game mode now.

Shouldn't it be the other option? (Blanking on what it's called I think extended?)

Isn't normal only going to produce 8 bit colors?

Lucifon

I find it odd and slightly concerning how the 2016 range is completely discontinued and impossible to buy now, at least in the UK. I was of the belief expensive TV's continued on until they became a fair amount cheaper but it seems these have had a 12 month lifespan and then vanished - makes me worry about future support.

Is this the norm? It's the first time I've ever dropped a financial bombshell on a TV and it makes me a little bit concerned with my (crazy) purchase.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Anyone else's HDR just make the gamer darker/dimmer? Colours don't really pop for me

It's brighter in the pics but first is HDR second is SDR

I thought HDR was meant to make the colors pop?

DJj2R-ZWsAERWRq.jpg

DJj2VXYWAAAfbRT.jpg

julrik

Shouldn't it be the other option? (Blanking on what it's called I think extended?)

Isn't normal only going to produce 8 bit colors?
No, Normal is the correct setting. It's just terribly named and should have been called 'Auto' instead (they changed it on the 2017 models). Both Extended and Wide oversaturate the image.

What is this active HDR?

An LG 2017 models function that adds dynamic metadata to HDR10 sources. Is supposed to worked well enough.
You enable it by setting "Dynamic Contrast" to low. Cinema picture mode only. Unfortunately doesn't work in HDR game mode.

is this a joke? or serious?

how do you downgrade???????????? PLease tellme!

Instructions have been posted in this thread.
As I don't have the post at hand, someone else will have to link to it though or try finding it by using the search function.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
No, Normal is the correct setting. It's just terribly named and should have been called 'Auto' instead (they changed it on the 2017 models). Both Extended and Wide oversaturate the image.

That's so odd. Thanks for the info.

Poona

I find it odd and slightly concerning how the 2016 range is completely discontinued and impossible to buy now, at least in the UK. I was of the belief expensive TV's continued on until they became a fair amount cheaper but it seems these have had a 12 month lifespan and then vanished - makes me worry about future support.

Is this the norm? It's the first time I've ever dropped a financial bombshell on a TV and it makes me a little bit concerned with my (crazy) purchase.

You can still get some of the 2016 models in some stores in Australia where I am but it is easier to get the 2017 models.

It's just how many things usually work. A new product is released and so the older products become harder to find either due to limited shelf space or manufacturing ceases so they can work on new things.

But yeah it can be a bit worrisome in some instances as I purchased the c6 as for me it is better than c7 and the other latest models as they don't have 3D.

SOLDIER

Somewhat off-topic, but a recent update to the Netflix app on PS4 has it defaulting to HDR mode on my E6 every time I start up the app.

What are the most recommended settings for HDR when it comes to watching movies, even if said movie doesn't support HDR?

Not sure why they did this. Is it a detriment to the picture quality for movies? Should I consider watching Netflix on a different device?

Wiped89

Somewhat off-topic, but a recent update to the Netflix app on PS4 has it defaulting to HDR mode on my E6 every time I start up the app.

What are the most recommended settings for HDR when it comes to watching movies, even if said movie doesn't support HDR?

Not sure why they did this. Is it a detriment to the picture quality for movies? Should I consider watching Netflix on a different device?

I've got the exact same problem, and I hate it. As far as I can see, it DOES degrade the picture quality on non-HDR content (so, 99% of Netflix) because the picture is dimmer overall but there's no peak brightness areas because there's no HDR metadata.

The only suggestion I have managed to find is switching off all HDR in the menus, but that means I will constantly have to turn it on and off when going between games and Netflix. Not ideal.

Why aren't you using the Netflix app on the E6? I think it works wonderful.

SOLDIER

Why aren't you using the Netflix app on the E6? I think it works wonderful.

I use my PS4 for virtually everything (Netflix, YouTube, Crunchyroll, even Plex...oh yeah and games). It's just for convenience's sake.

I guess I can try the TV's Netflix app if it doesn't have the HDR problem (it also does 4k right?), but I prefer having the PS4 app work properly.

Also I've asked this maybe a dozen times, but I would still like to know what the best settings are for movies/TV, both on the HDR setting and non-HDR settings.

I use my PS4 for virtually everything (Netflix, YouTube, Crunchyroll, even Plex...oh yeah and games). It's just for convenience's sake.

I guess I can try the TV's Netflix app if it doesn't have the HDR problem (it also does 4k right?), but I prefer having the PS4 app work properly.

Also I've asked this maybe a dozen times, but I would still like to know what the best settings are for movies/TV, both on the HDR setting and non-HDR settings.

Get your tv calibrated if you want best settings. No one set fits every tv. I didn't believe in it until I got my E6 calibrated and it does make a huge difference on non HDR content. There's only so much you can change on HDR.

Bustanen

4K and Dolby Vision. No reason to use anything else for Netflix.

I see. I still recommend trying out the TVs Netflix app. It not only supports 4k and HDR but also Dolby Vision. Navigation is also very smooth.

As for movie settings, here are mine optimized for a dark environment (I have a B6 but it shouldn't matter much).

SDR:
picture mode: isf dark room
OLED light: 45
contrast: 84
brightness: 51
h sharpness: 10
v sharpness: 10
color depth: 50
color tint: 0
all picture enhancements off
color gamut : normal
gamma: BT.1886
black level low
TruMotion: off
white balance:
temperature: Warm 2 (or Warm 1 if think it is too yellow)
I also increased luminance at 5IRE by 6 in 20p white balance controls (too help with shadow details).

HDR:
picture mode: HDR Standard
all values at default
all enhancements off
color gamut: normal
black level low
TruMotion off

SOLDIER

I see. I still recommend trying out the TVs Netflix app. It not only supports 4k and HDR but also Dolby Vision. Navigation is also very smooth.

As for movie settings, here are mine optimized for a dark environment (I have a B6 but it shouldn't matter much).

SDR:
picture mode: isf dark room
OLED light: 45
contrast: 84
brightness: 51
h sharpness: 10
v sharpness: 10
color depth: 50
color tint: 0
all picture enhancements off
color gamut : normal
gamma: BT.1886
black level low
TruMotion: off
white balance:
temperature: Warm 2 (or Warm 1 if think it is too yellow)
I also increased luminance at 5IRE by 6 in 20p white balance controls (too help with shadow details).

HDR:
picture mode: HDR Standard
all values at default
all enhancements off
color gamut: normal
black level low
TruMotion off

Thanks, I'll give some of these a try.

What exactly is Dolby Vision anyway, and are the Netflix movies that support them listed in the app?

Also, what would be the best resource to find local calibrators, and what are the most common rates?

SOLDIER

Actually, I have a more immediate question: it says I need to update the app, but I had downgraded my firmware to avoid the HDR gaming issue.

Can I update the app without having to update my TV's firmware?

NYR

All right. Had it. Can't stand how it looks. Downgrading my firmware on Friday. Expect some posts asking questions.

SOLDIER

Yes, I've done so.

Thanks.

So it seems Dolby Vision is also its own picture setting for the LG. Can I get recommended settings for that too?

Also, I use a Logitech Harmony One remote. Is there a way to make it so that I can launch the Netflix app with just one button?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Thanks.

So it seems Dolby Vision is also its own picture setting for the LG. Can I get recommended settings for that too?

Also, I use a Logitech Harmony One remote. Is there a way to make it so that I can launch the Netflix app with just one button?

you don't need to touch anything on Dolby Vision's settings. They are the most accurate of any of the pre-sets.

there's no currently great way to calibrate HDR settings, leave them alone for the most part right now

e90Mark

Thanks, I'll give some of these a try.

What exactly is Dolby Vision anyway, and are the Netflix movies that support them listed in the app?

Also, what would be the best resource to find local calibrators, and what are the most common rates?
Dolby Vision in a nutshell is HDR with Dynamic Metadata.
Netflix will have a Dolby Icon with "VISION" for titles that support it.

I would check AVSForums to find local calibrators. Expect to spend at least $300 for a pro calibration.

You could basically read about this stuff all day to educate yourself on AVSForum. Its a lot of info.
Thanks.

IIRC I think, Dolby Vision Bright is the recommended mode OOTB.

I can't recall what TV you have, but it's not possible for 2016 LGs.

you don't need to touch anything on Dolby Vision's settings. They are the most accurate of any of the pre-sets.

there's no currently great way to calibrate HDR settings, leave them alone for the most part right now

Yup the only thing worth changing on Dolby Vision is turning off TruMotion if any of the defaults have it.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Even with auto updates off my TV somehow got updated today. 😒😒

Guess Ill find out if the update really is bad.

SOLDIER

Dolby Vision in a nutshell is HDR with Dynamic Metadata.
Netflix will have a Dolby Icon with "VISION" for titles that support it.

I would check AVSForums to find local calibrators. Expect to spend at least $300 for a pro calibration.

You could basically read about this stuff all day to educate yourself on AVSForum. Its a lot of info.

IIRC I think, Dolby Vision Bright is the recommended mode OOTB.

I can't recall what TV you have, but it's not possible for 2016 LGs.

E6.

So is Dolby Vision with HDR better than 4K with HDR? Just curious.

e90Mark

E6.

So is Dolby Vision with HDR better than 4K with HDR? Just curious.
Pretty much a prime example of how convoluted these standards are, at the moment. It's not easy jumping in head first.

Dolby Vision is a type of HDR. The two biggest ones are - DV and HDR10. HDR10 is just commonly referred to as HDR. Dolby Vision is better than HDR10, mainly due to Dynamic Metadata.

It's only going to get more confusing as HLG and HDR10+ become more predominant.
My LG TV (55UH6150) is asking to update to 05.30.01 (Canada).

What is B6?

Is my TV safe?

What do I do?
B6 is an OLED model. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Top Bottom