• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQ YouTubers file discrimination lawsuit against YouTube

Athena Pallas

Incest Aficionado
Nov 14, 2018

Whatever promises, apologies, and misunderstanding explanations Google/YouTube has given to the LGBTQ+, they were and continue to be ‘lip service’ as described by one LGBTQ+ YouTuber following his meeting with YouTube’s management in 2017,” the suit states. “Instead of fixing the problems, Defendants Google/YouTube have doubled down on their anti-LGBTQ+ animus and discrimination that now pervades the platform
In the complaint, plaintiffs allege YouTube favors popular right-wing YouTube stars
WTF Google and YouTube are problematic they better pay up for their crimes!

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
They're getting drilled from both sides.

And since a certain president is already pulling on this Jenga block...

The expected outcome is either that tech companies fall in line or crumble hard. Not sure how I feel about this. Hope cooler heads can help us keep the majority of these wonderful internet tech advances without throwing it all out and wrecking it all.

CDiggity

Jan 3, 2014
Something something private business something something make your own platform.

The problem I see with this complaint is that the plaintiffs are accusing Youtube of restricting/demonitizing LGBTQ content while allowing anti-LGBTQ to be unaffected, except it is very likely that the anti-LGBTQ content is also restricted/demonitized. As far as I know, a user can't pull up the monitization status of another users videos. Even something like SocialBlade only takes public information (views,subs,etc.).

Reactions: llien

tkscz

Oct 17, 2011
Is there a link to the suit itself? That article makes the suit sounds laughable under cooked. "They favor right-wing youtubers" can't be proven, nor is it a sueable offense. Youtube's super vague terms of service on what is considered "political" is however and does need fixed. I have heard youtube demonitizing gay users over videos in claims that the video was too political. However, if they try to keep the "favors right-wing youtubers" in their suit, it can be tossed out if they don't have distinct proof of youtube doing that.

Reactions: llien

#Phonepunk#

Gold Member
Sep 4, 2018
sue Marvel and Disney if you mad about "lip service"

corporations been taking all you SJWs for a ride and you don't even know it

Reactions: Gashtronomy

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
The LGBT community are the most entitled people on earth.
No, far left and woke is the most entitled person. See, there is even some pushback against for example Yaniv.
But If you are white and want to shout slurs at minorities or black people, just join antifa.

You can shout the n-word and similar against black people all day long and you will be celebrated as brave!

Jan 14, 2018

WTF Google and YouTube are problematic they better pay up for their crimes!

LGBTQ is not a problem, in fact they are people who should not be discriminated against. But being Youtuber, there I criticize them, but if it is in a monetary way, if it is a hobby it is fine the hobby, because is a hobby...NOT A JOB.

Be a Youtuber monetary is a crime itself.

My advice is get to study for society and work for society. We do not want internet Beggars.

TheContact

Jan 22, 2016
People on the left: “social media is so right wing biased!”
People on the right: “social media is so left wing biased!”
Social media owners::goog_unsure:

Last edited:
Reactions: Cravis

FreedomGate

Mental Gymnastics 🥇Gold Medalist🥇
Oct 10, 2018
www.kickstarter.com
Yeah blame the guys getting their channels deleted, demonitized, or removed from the algorithm, that makes sense.

If you're loaded on heroine.

Yeah YouTube loves right wing channels, suurrreeee

FreedomGate

Mental Gymnastics 🥇Gold Medalist🥇
Oct 10, 2018
www.kickstarter.com
No, far left and woke is the most entitled person.
So the LGBT community.

You know, the group that brought "woke" into existence in the first place

LGBT is a far left group the media puts all people who are sexually deviant under without consulting them and assumes that they'll take it.

I know gays who aren't part of that community, which despite what the media says is actually possible! But don't tell the advocate that.

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
so people downvote their videos to oblivion and they are suing Youtube?!?

:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:
I think part of it is that they are not getting monetized.
Companies are getting more careful with their ad spend and don't want to appear on channels that are controversy-magnets.
Since many LGBT channels are both very confrontational as well as constantly attracting controversy the ad spend is way down or completely gone.
Most companies are just "I don't care the subject, I just don't want to be associated with controversy" and thus the whole lot of LGBT channels are demonetized.

Since they then are demonetized, surrounded in controversy and lets face it, very few people actually want to watch those channels (they mainly are a small club that makes videos for eachother) the algorithm is deranking them and instead promotes popular channels that people actually want to watch.

This just capitalism and survival of the fittest. No one wants to put ads on these channels and no one wants to watch them. That is why youtube is not promoting the content.

Last edited:

Mohonky

Jan 19, 2007
As many problems as I have with youtube I cant say I get any crazy right-wing or left-wing junk clogging up my suggestions.
....because you probably don't think everything you see is right wing.

Which is a lot of the issue. Era is a good example, members always asking how people need to be bigots, racists etc...but they construe everything to be bigoted, racist etc rhetoric, so it's inevitable. Even the most closely guarded bastions of supposed 'Left-Wing' youtubers are being labelled as bigots.

Last edited:

Teletraan1

May 17, 2012
Canada
Personally I think they mostly push what you are into. They do push a lot of corporate content above small creators. Almost all of this is left wing trash like late night show clips and legacy news media. The only right wing exception is Fox News.

I am right wing and still get CNN and MSNBC suggested to me occasionally. I guess I should sue just for the suggestion of Seth Meyers "closer looks " which amount to little more than DNC propaganda clips. Or I could just not watch it. Or watch it and laugh that some of our favorite smooth brain posters here are parroting the exact same shit.

I agree with the post above that some of these people have shifted so far left that everything is right wing from their perspective.

Small creators are also getting demonitized from all political affiliations. Anything even remotely controversial gets demonitized. Blame the authoritarian zealots for making LGBT topics controversial rather than normalized. Advertising would rather not get involved unless they can ensure they are not tying themselves to something that could blow back on them. In a world where Peloton loses $1B in market cap over outrage and Fox News only advertising left is Mypillow and CPAP cleaning because of targeted harassment campaigns aimed at advertising what do people expect.

Reactions: hariseldon

accel

Sep 11, 2015
Small creators are also getting demonitized from all political affiliations. Anything even remotely controversial gets demonitized.
I think it's a little asymmetric in that conservative views are rendered to be more "controversial" than liberal ones.

I get that I don't have a full picture, but while I personally saw many instances of conservative videos being demonetized for basically nothing and not being able to effing name the effing "whistleblower" at the root of this whole "impeachment" else they would be taken down - I saw and heard nothing about similar things happening with "woke" videos.

As a general view, Google were found to be manipulating search results during Trump - Clinton elections, there were studies made and statistical results there are very convincing (the numeric skews are not simply statistically significant, they are damn high). I am not aware of similar studies for Youtube and left vs right videos, but I can imagine that the picture is roughly the same.

Teletraan1

May 17, 2012
Canada
I think it's a little asymmetric in that conservative views are rendered to be more "controversial" than liberal ones.

I get that I don't have a full picture, but while I personally saw many instances of conservative videos being demonetized for basically nothing and not being able to effing name the effing "whistleblower" at the root of this whole "impeachment" else they would be taken down - I saw and heard nothing about similar things happening with "woke" videos.

As a general view, Google were found to be manipulating search results during Trump - Clinton elections, there were studies made and statistical results there are very convincing (the numeric skews are not simply statistically significant, they are damn high). I am not aware of similar studies for Youtube and left vs right videos, but I can imagine that the picture is roughly the same.
I don't doubt that it is asymmetric because of the inherent bias that exists in these media companies that certainly doesn't favor right wing views. Even while typing this message on my phone I was confronted with bias. The Google based app that suggests the next word suggests "conspiracy " after typing in right wing.

• Thoughtful

Cravis

Gold Member
Aug 18, 2006
Oh the irony...

These are the very same people who will look at something a corporation is doing or an ad they have put out and cry racist, bigoted, etc. They will scream from the top of the hills for them to pull advertising from what they don’t like.

Well you reap what you sow.

Corporations are very very careful on where they put advertisements. They don’t want to run the risk. They would rather play it extremely safe then get put on full blast.

Now get out there and get a real job.

mcjmetroid

Feb 11, 2019
Limerick, Ireland
I think part of it is that they are not getting monetized.
Companies are getting more careful with their ad spend and don't want to appear on channels that are controversy-magnets.
Since many LGBT channels are both very confrontational as well as constantly attracting controversy the ad spend is way down or completely gone.
Most companies are just "I don't care the subject, I just don't want to be associated with controversy" and thus the whole lot of LGBT channels are demonetized.

Since they then are demonetized, surrounded in controversy and lets face it, very few people actually want to watch those channels (they mainly are a small club that makes videos for eachother) the algorithm is deranking them and instead promotes popular channels that people actually want to watch.

This just capitalism and survival of the fittest. No one wants to put ads on these channels and no one wants to watch them. That is why youtube is not promoting the content.
And this is it on a nutshell. The people who actually want to watch gay videos about being gay are slim, even gay people..

Some of us just want to get on with things and understand how the world works.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
Where are you getting that from?

Far as I can tell the #metoo movement was the start of that which had nothing to do with the LGBT community.
From what i can tell:
Woke simmered up into popular activism during Occupy Wall Street, with roots that go further [decades] back in academia, etc.
It entered into hobbyist/online culture with Gamer Gate.
It entered into popular culture with BLM and especially #metoo

With wiggle room on all, of course.

LGTB rode the wave because they reap victimhood status points. Many now resist woke because they see the negative ramifications [see Terfs, lesbians feeling like trans are erasing them, gay men getting vilified as patriachry, etc]

Last edited: