• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ | OT7 | ~First comes love, then comes marriage~

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
You guys got me hooked on Sandra Lee and I laughed at her videos until I had tears in my eyes. Icing the tin lord http://youtu.be/WVjj_I8b6a0

I screamed when she introduced this Hanukkah cake
vPqg1zD.jpg

Arcipello

Tldr; a guy asked for my number, I wasn't expecting it and I think he's 3cute5me.

i have the feeling this guy is gonna chew you up and spit you out.... and yeah im curious as to what this NSFW conversation was. i cant speak for everyone else here, but i never look at this thread while at work, so spill those dirty beans :p

Kevyt

yes and send him your nudes
if he already hasnt seen them in the gym shower

I don't think he has. Funny because I've had two guys peek in on me. One was a really creepy guy and the other guy was like in his fifties or something. I don't mind tbh. For the first guy, he stopped and stared my direction. I faced him on the front and stared back. I must have creeped the guy for he walked away... lol. Or maybe he was disappointed at what he saw.

Oh man I just have so many stories at the gym... Of all places I've been to, the gym is like a hotbed for stuff to happen.

Ratsky should use this as his avatar.

I'm screaming at the conversation you had. That's like something out of a dream.

Yeah, what everyone else said. Text him, hang out, do what you're comfortable with, and hope everything goes well! If it doesn't work out, no harm done, but it sounds like you at least have some short-term options. Best of luck!

Thanks! I don't expect much to happen or anything to come out of this, but I'll just see where things go.

Stuff like this happens in real life?

If you have told me that stuff like this happens then I would certainly think it's possible. But to happen to me? I would have said you're crazy. I still feel like something's up though... Like it's too good to be true.

Seath, this scenario is like a cute gay romantic comedy that turned into an adult movie. Like, it literally manifested from the collective consciousness of a thousands of gay men. It was willed into existence and you were the lucky recipient.

Text him! Have fun, be safe. Make sure he treats you right. :)

Thanks HL! :)

i have the feeling this guy is gonna chew you up and spit you out.... and yeah im curious as to what this NSFW conversation was. i cant speak for everyone else here, but i never look at this thread while at work, so spill those dirty beans :p

What does that mean?

He just talked about the things he likes to do in bed in a very detailed and eloquent manner. He also said things he likes to do to guys like me. Again, very detailed and eloquent. Interesting choice of words.

I can't help but think that this guy is a player or something. But that's fine with me! I don't mind. Beggars can't be choosers. lol xD

I don't think he has. Funny because I've had two guys peek in on me. One was a really creepy guy and the other guy was like in his fifties or something. I don't mind tbh. For the first guy, he stopped and stared my direction. I faced him on the front and stared back. I must have creeped the guy for he walked away... lol. Or maybe he was disappointed at what he saw.

Oh man I just have so many stories at the gym... Of all places I've been to, the gym is like a hotbed for stuff to happen.

Thanks! I don't expect much to happen or anything to come out of this, but I'll just see where things go.

If you have told me that stuff like this happens then I would certainly think it's possible. But to happen to me? I would have said you're crazy. I still feel like something's up though... Like it's too good to be true.

Thanks HL! :)

What does that mean?

He just talked about the things he likes to do in bed in a very detailed and eloquent manner. He also said things he likes to do to guys like me. Again, very detailed and eloquent. Interesting choice of words.

I can't help but think that this guy is a player or something. But that's fine with me! I don't mind. Beggars can't be choosers. lol xD
hide your wallet and keys somewhere safe (y)

berzeli

Banned

Go for it sis, but be smart about it; So use protection (seriously use it), if you go with him to some place which isn't public make sure that you have a friend who knows where you are (and keep that friend updated on any further travels), and make sure that he understands that you have the right to say no at any time (and use that no if you feel uncomfortable).

It sounds like it could be a fun ride (insert gag about sex positions here), but since you seem a bit unsure about the entire ordeal make sure that you do it in a way that you're comfortable with. Also, he may very well be a player out for a one night fling, but hey sometimes it's fun to play.

mantidor

Seath, this scenario is like a cute gay romantic comedy that turned into an adult movie. Like, it literally manifested from the collective consciousness of a thousands of gay men. It was willed into existence and you were the lucky recipient.

Seriously not even Hollywood could come up with that.

KmA

Text him! Have fun, be safe. Make sure he treats you right. :)

Honestly, the entire time I was thinking this can't be real. He just happened to be gay, ask for your number, tell you he was gay, then says he wants sex? That's like everybody's dream tbh.

Razmos

i have the feeling this guy is gonna chew you up and spit you out...
I'd bloody well hope so considering it's just a hookup.

Let him chew you up. he's just a random hottie. If it turns into something wonderful then he's living the gay dream, if not, hey, he had hot sex and got some damn good memories.

Go for it sis, but be smart about it; So use protection (seriously use it), if you go with him to some place which isn't public make sure that you have a friend who knows where you are (and keep that friend updated on any further travels), and make sure that he understands that you have the right to say no at any time (and use that no if you feel uncomfortable).

It sounds like it could be a fun ride (insert gag about sex positions here), but since you seem a bit unsure about the entire ordeal make sure that you do it in a way that you're comfortable with. Also, he may very well be a player out for a one night fling, but hey sometimes it's fun to play.

This! Have fun, but be careful!

red13th

Here's some drama! Not sure if it counts as drama but this has been quite the day.

I was at the gym today and decided to stay past six. I usually try to go in there early. It's always packed in there at that time but that's when all the good looking guys come or so it seems.

Now this guy I've only seen him a few times and he is always bro-fisting people. He's in the gym consistently and he has an amazing physique. I've seen him at the locker room and he has a well defined six pack and a V-cut. I've seen guys with six packs but v-cuts not so much for some reason. He's really good looking. He dresses fashionably and he has an amazing body. He doesn't really talk to many people he just does his thing and leaves.

Anyways as he was coming out of the locker room he says "hey" to me and I say hey back and smile. I'm then working on the bars doing knee tucks and as he is passing by he drops his phone and I say to him "oh that sucks" he says yeah and moves along.

I then see him at the locker room and he looks really good shirtless. I'm thinking "he is so out of my league." His abs are amazing. I'm a huge sucker for abs. They're my weakness. I go to him and ask him what his workout routine is like. He tells me what he does and he doesn't really talk much. There's a long pause where I'm just standing there and then I ask him about his diet and he just gives me a generic and fast answer. I'm thinking that maybe he isn't interested and I start talking to him about what I want to achieve and he asks me about my diet. I start talking about food. I'm nervous and I think I'm boring the poor guy.

When I'm nervous I talk nonstop about stupid things for some reason. I'm talking about celery and how I love to boil it and eat it. I'm talking about how much I like spinaches and foods high in fiber. I just talk about how good is delicious celery is, other things I like to eat and I just keep on talking. I'm running out of words and what else to say without repeating myself. I end up saying the same thing over and over such as "yeah, celery is so good and healthy" and those awkward food lines "x food is so good" At this point I feel like I'm just making a fool out of me. But the guy has listened to my babbling and I finally stop talking.

The guy says to me, out of nowhere, his exact words: "You need to give me your phone number" I'm screaming internally and I ask him nervously "my number?" He says "Give me your number" There's a pause from my part and he adds that we can hang out sometime. I still can't believe someone is asking my number. He sees I'm not saying anything, I'm stupefied, and this is the exchange:

Guy: "I'm gay, I hope that's okay with you"
Me: "that's okay"
Guy: "Are you also gay?"
Me: "I like guys too!"
Guy: "Cool, do you have a boyfriend?"
Me: "Nope"
Guy: "Then you should come to my place sometime and we can have sex. Are you a top or bottom?"
Me: "I don't know"
Guy: "what do you mean you don't know?
Me: "I've never had sex before so I wouldn't know"
Guy: "well, you'll find out with me"

I burst out laughing. It was funny to me the way he said it. I just thought he was joking.

We continue to talk about other things and it was a long conversation talking about life and stuff. He says that we should go somewhere this weekend and tells me to call him or send him a text if I want to go somewhere. We talked in the locker room for almost thirty minutes.

Oh and apparently he was serious about the sex part. He talked about other NSFW things in detail that I can't post here for obvious reasons. The words "I'll teach you" came out during that part which I found funny, and made me laugh... xD

He said that I we should go places and see where things go.

So yeah... That was interesting. The guy is definitely confident and it shows. This came out of nowhere and this is the first time a guy has asked for my number. I also never imagined a guy like him would show interest in someone like me. I said to myself many times that he was way out of my league every time I saw him. I would just sigh internally and think that my chances with a guy like him was one in a million. I was also always thirsting out at the gym when he was nearby working out.

I still can't believe it. I gave him my number and he called right away so that I would have his number and so that I would text him. I honestly don't know if I should. I feel like he's too cute for me. I don't know, I'm confused.

But I guess the gym is a good place for hooking up! lol

Tldr; a guy asked for my number, I wasn't expecting it and I think he's 3cute5me.

keep us updated

Sweet jesus who is this?

Here's some drama! Not sure if it counts as drama but this has been quite the day.

I was at the gym today and decided to stay past six. I usually try to go in there early. It's always packed in there at that time but that's when all the good looking guys come or so it seems.

Now this guy I've only seen him a few times and he is always bro-fisting people. He's in the gym consistently and he has an amazing physique. I've seen him at the locker room and he has a well defined six pack and a V-cut. I've seen guys with six packs but v-cuts not so much for some reason. He's really good looking. He dresses fashionably and he has an amazing body. He doesn't really talk to many people he just does his thing and leaves.

Anyways as he was coming out of the locker room he says "hey" to me and I say hey back and smile. I'm then working on the bars doing knee tucks and as he is passing by he drops his phone and I say to him "oh that sucks" he says yeah and moves along.

I then see him at the locker room and he looks really good shirtless. I'm thinking "he is so out of my league." His abs are amazing. I'm a huge sucker for abs. They're my weakness. I go to him and ask him what his workout routine is like. He tells me what he does and he doesn't really talk much. There's a long pause where I'm just standing there and then I ask him about his diet and he just gives me a generic and fast answer. I'm thinking that maybe he isn't interested and I start talking to him about what I want to achieve and he asks me about my diet. I start talking about food. I'm nervous and I think I'm boring the poor guy.

When I'm nervous I talk nonstop about stupid things for some reason. I'm talking about celery and how I love to boil it and eat it. I'm talking about how much I like spinaches and foods high in fiber. I just talk about how good is delicious celery is, other things I like to eat and I just keep on talking. I'm running out of words and what else to say without repeating myself. I end up saying the same thing over and over such as "yeah, celery is so good and healthy" and those awkward food lines "x food is so good" At this point I feel like I'm just making a fool out of me. But the guy has listened to my babbling and I finally stop talking.

The guy says to me, out of nowhere, his exact words: "You need to give me your phone number" I'm screaming internally and I ask him nervously "my number?" He says "Give me your number" There's a pause from my part and he adds that we can hang out sometime. I still can't believe someone is asking my number. He sees I'm not saying anything, I'm stupefied, and this is the exchange:

Guy: "I'm gay, I hope that's okay with you"
Me: "that's okay"
Guy: "Are you also gay?"
Me: "I like guys too!"
Guy: "Cool, do you have a boyfriend?"
Me: "Nope"
Guy: "Then you should come to my place sometime and we can have sex. Are you a top or bottom?"
Me: "I don't know"
Guy: "what do you mean you don't know?
Me: "I've never had sex before so I wouldn't know"
Guy: "well, you'll find out with me"

I burst out laughing. It was funny to me the way he said it. I just thought he was joking.

We continue to talk about other things and it was a long conversation talking about life and stuff. He says that we should go somewhere this weekend and tells me to call him or send him a text if I want to go somewhere. We talked in the locker room for almost thirty minutes.

Oh and apparently he was serious about the sex part. He talked about other NSFW things in detail that I can't post here for obvious reasons. The words "I'll teach you" came out during that part which I found funny, and made me laugh... xD

He said that I we should go places and see where things go.

So yeah... That was interesting. The guy is definitely confident and it shows. This came out of nowhere and this is the first time a guy has asked for my number. I also never imagined a guy like him would show interest in someone like me. I said to myself many times that he was way out of my league every time I saw him. I would just sigh internally and think that my chances with a guy like him was one in a million. I was also always thirsting out at the gym when he was nearby working out.

I still can't believe it. I gave him my number and he called right away so that I would have his number and so that I would text him. I honestly don't know if I should. I feel like he's too cute for me. I don't know, I'm confused.

But I guess the gym is a good place for hooking up! lol

Your life sounds like a perfect gay fanfic and I'm jealous.

Walking out of the office for lunch and theres this guy sitting in the lobby. We make eye contact and I break contact. I feel like hes still looking so I look again and hes still looking at me. I push the elevator button and still feel his eyes on me so I look again and hes still looking at me. Id like to think in another setting Id have found a reason to talk to him. Plus if he was sitting in the lobby he was either a client or interviewing for a job. Both of which seemed like dangerous situations to get involved in.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Oh, are the showers, like, individual stalls?

we want more stories!

I was thinking the same thing :3

specifix tbh

Kool!

I think I knew her... (him at the time), I've always liked bodybuilders. This is very uncommon for sure.

I think I recognized the old her too. Definitely looks familiar.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Walking out of the office for lunch and theres this guy sitting in the lobby. We make eye contact and I break contact. I feel like hes still looking so I look again and hes still looking at me. I push the elevator button and still feel his eyes on me so I look again and hes still looking at me. Id like to think in another setting Id have found a reason to talk to him. Plus if he was sitting in the lobby he was either a client or interviewing for a job. Both of which seemed like dangerous situations to get involved in.

Interview, eh? "Are you here for the opening? I'm sure you're exactly the right person to fill it."

If he was staring at you that much and so blatantly, I'd say "interest" is a likely motivation. Maybe he'll be back in the future. If he is, I think you should talk to him.

Interview, eh? "Are you here for the opening? I'm sure you're exactly the right person to fill it."

If he was staring at you that much and so blatantly, I'd say "interest" is a likely motivation. Maybe he'll be back in the future. If he is, I think you should talk to him.

Lol

I have multiple positions to fill. I doubt Ill ever see him again but its not often I get this kind of stare. I dont think I had my fly open or toilet paper stuck to my shoe. Feels good.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

you should have nodded towards the elevator and waited for him to follow you in

berzeli

Banned
Okay, so I promised that I would do an updated version of that list of films/TV; but I was way too lazy it took a bit longer than planned. The new entries will be at the bottom of their respective lists, and this post will be in two parts because otherwise gaf won't let me post it due to length.

Documentaries

The Celluloid Closet (1995) | Trailer

Based on the book with the same name, The Celluloid Closet examines LGBTIQ life in the world of film, both on and off screen.

Vito (2011) | Trailer

The story of Vito Russo, one of the early gay activists, author of "The Celluloid Closet," and AIDS activist.

She's a Boy I Knew (2007) | Trailer

Filmmaker Gwen Haworth turns her camera on her family for this down-to-earth documentary that follows her transition from male to female over the course of several years.

Paragraph 175 (2000) | Trailer

The film chronicles the lives of survivors of the Nazi persecution of homosexuals under the German Penal Code, Paragraph 175.

Paris Is Burning (1990) | Trailer

Explores the New York drag scene in the 1980s, voguing, balls and the hopes and dreams of those who participated.

Call Me Kuchu (2012) | Trailer

Examines what it is like to be gay in Uganda and the fight against a bill which threatens to make homosexuality punishable by death.

How to Survive a Plague (2012) | Trailer

A look into the fight against AIDS, focusing on the efforts of activist groups ACT UP and TAG.

Queer as 18th Century Folk (2003) | No trailer available

Part of the documentary series Georgian Underworld that examined "hidden" aspects of life in 18th century Britain. Queen Anna Chancellor narrates this episode that focuses on queer life which provides some fascinating historical insights.

The Times of Harvey Milk (1984) | Trailer

An engrossing documentary of the career of Harvey Milk, gay activist and the first openly gay person to be elected to public office in California.

Edie & Thea: A Very Long Engagement (2009) | Trailer

After 42 years, lesbian couple Edie and Thea are finally getting married. The film chronicles their lives from the early '60s to the present day and the political and personal battles they've endured.

We Were Here (2011) | Trailer

This film examines the arrival and impact of AIDS in San Francisco and how the community rose to the occasion in response.

Screaming Queens: The Riot at Compton's Cafeteria (2005) | Trailer

Three years before the riot at Stonewall, a group of transgender women and drag queens fought police harassment at Compton's Cafeteria in San Francisco. This film explores that event, the people who partook in it and life in San Fransisco around that time.

Before Stonewall (1984) | Trailer

A historical retrospective of the Gay and Lesbian community before the Stonewall riots started the larger gay rights movement.

Stonewall Uprising (2010) | Trailer

The documentary chronicles the police raid of Stonewall in June 1969 and the riot that followed.

After Stonewall (1999) | Trailer

A historical retrospective of the Gay Rights movement from the 1969 Stonewall riots to the present.

TransGeneration (2005) | Trailer

A docuseries that looks at the lives of four college students undergoing gender transition.

A Jihad for Love (2007) | Trailer

A documentary on gay, lesbian, and transgender Muslims across the Muslim and Western worlds.

Making the Boys (2011) | Trailer

The story of one of the first gay plays in America, the film adaptation and their legacies.

The Case Against 8 (2014) | Trailer

Taking a look at the events that led up to, the fight against and the aftermath of California's Proposition 8 which defined marriage as between a man and a woman only.

Intersexion (2012) | Trailer

A documentary about what it means to be intersex and how intersex individuals navigate through a male/female world.

Common Threads: Stories from the Quilt (1989) | Trailer

A collection of profiles of people dead from AIDS who are remembered in the AIDS Memorial Quilt.

For the Bible Tells Me So (2007) | Trailer

An exploration of the intersection between religion and homosexuality in the U.S. and how the religious right has used its interpretation of the Bible to stigmatize the gay community.

Hunted (2014) | Trailer

A part of the investigative journalism show Dispatches, Hunted takes a chilling look at the homophobia in Russia. Also known as a stand alone documentary Hunted: The War Against Gays in Russia

(A)sexual (2011) | Trailer

A film about the emergence of the asexual community, the lives of some of its members, and the struggle to claim their identity.

Les Invisibles (2012) | Trailer

Several elderly homosexual men and women speak their lives in France at a time when society rejected them.

Southern Comfort (2011) | Trailer

The film documents the final year in the life of Robert Eads, a female-to-male transsexual, who when diagnosed with cancer was turned down for treatment by two dozen doctors out of fear that treating such a patient would hurt their reputations.

Do I Sound Gay? (2015) | Trailer

This documentary looks at the phenomenom known as "the gay voice". Also features a hilariously downvoted IMDb page for some reason.

Trans (2012) | Trailer

A documentary about men, women, and all the variations in between.

Gen Silent (2011) | Trailer

Exploring what it is like to be old and gay, sometimes having to re-enter the closet out of concern for their safety or quality of life.

TV

Tipping the Velvet (2002) | No trailer available

Miniseries set in the 1890's, tells the lesbian love affair between male impersonator music hall star Kitty Butler and Nan Astley.

Transparent (2014) | Trailer

A dramedy-ish show that revolves around a Los Angeles family and their lives following the discovery that father is transgender.

Angels in America (2003) | Trailer

An adaption of Tony Kushner's plays about social, sexual, and religious issues facing 1980s America as the AIDS crisis gains momentum.

Queer as Folk (1999) | Glouriously 90s Trailer

The groundbreaking drama about gay life in Manchester. There also exist a U.S. version if you for some reason want to watch a worse version that doesn't feature young Littlefinger.

The L Word (2004) | Trailer

Follows the lives and loves of a small, close-knit group of lesbians living in Los Angeles as well as the friends and family members that either support or loath them.

Don't Ever Wipe Tears Without Gloves (2012) | Trailer

A drama miniseries about finding love just as the AIDS epidemic hits Stockholm's gay community.

Lip Service (2010) | Trailer for the second series since it is the best trailer

Basically "The L Word" but set in Scotland, with different charachters and a different tone. So it's not really like "The L Word". But people keep insiting that it is. But it's not. Except it kind of is. But not really.

Please Like Me (2013) | Trailer

A really great, semi-autobiographical comedy about Josh who realises that he is gay after his girlfriend dumps him.

Looking (2014) | Trailer

The experiences of three close friends living and loving in modern-day San Francisco. Check out the season 2 OT

Noah's Arc (2005) | Trailer

Supposedly it is a good show. But I'm not sure if it is "good for being on Logo"-good or "actually a good show"-good. Anyway, the show itself centres on gay life in west Hollywood.

The Line Of Beauty (2006) | Trailer

An adaptation of the novel of the same name. This three-part series is set in the 1980's and is about Nick Guest who is to begin postgraduate studies in London, moves into the luxurious home belonging to the family of his best friend and casts himself into the life of plentiful riches and love affairs.

Fingersmith (2005) | Trailer

The lives of two young women collide in Victorian England when a trio of 'fingersmiths' (pick-pockets) concoct an elaborate scam to defraud a young heiress of her inheritance.

Sugar Rush (2005) | No trailer available

Based on the novel of the same name, Sugar Rush follows the life of a 15 year old lesbian who moves from London to Brighton on the south coast of England.

Cucumber (2015) | Trailer

The writer of Queer as Folk returns to Manchester and takes on modern gay life through the eyes of a middle-aged gay man.

Banana (2015) | Trailer

The sister show to Cucumber, this anthology series follow 8 different couples and thier journeys of love, heartbreak, sex and drama.

berzeli

Banned
Films

The Normal Heart (2014) | Trailer

The recent HBO adaptation of the play of the same name by Larry Kramer. Adapted by Kramer and Ryan Murphy it is about the AIDS epidemic of the 80's centring around activists in New York.

Laurance Anyways (2012) | The films of Xavier Dolan | Trailer

Being one of the most exciting contemporary directors Xavier Dolan has explored multiple facets of the queer identity without making his films solely about being queer. In my mind his greatest work so far has been Laurance Anyways and if you're just going to watch one film on this list, make it this one.
It doesn't hurt that Xavier Dolan also happens to be very pretty.

East Palace, West Palace (1996) | Trailer

A film about a gay writer that explores what it means to be gay in China where even if it is technically legal to be gay the police still persecute homosexuals.

Beautiful Thing (1996) | Trailer of misleadingly dubious quality

A really sweet and funny coming of age film set in the suburbs of London.

Bent (1997) | Trailer

Based on the play of the same name about the persecution of homosexuals by the Nazis and life in the concentration camps. Also worth noting that this is probably the only film in which you will see both Mick Jagger and Jamie Lannister.

Caravaggio (1986) | The films of Derek Jarman | Trailer

One of the pioneers of gay cinema, and the man who brought Tilda Swinton into the limelight, the work of Derek Jarman is a showcase of eccentricity and creativity. I single out Caravaggio not for being his best film but it is probably one of his more accessible works, Nigel Terry and Sean Bean stars in the biopic (of sorts) about the Baroque painter.

Scorpio Rising (1964) | The films of Kenneth Anger | Trailer (for a compilation of his work)

Kenneth Anger is an experimental film-maker who is one of the first (if not the first) American directors to bring gay culture to the cinema. Why do I single out Scorpio Rising? Because yet again this is probably one of the more accessible works, it's about an army of gay Nazi bikers... Yes, most of Anger's work can only be described by the phrase "it is one of the most insane things I've ever seen" .

Pink Narcissus (1971) | Trailer (NSFW!)

I'm going to let the description from the BFI speak for itself:
Pink Narcissus is a breathtaking and outrageous erotic poem focussing on the daydreams of a beautiful boy prostitute who, from the seclusion of his ultra-kitsch apartment, conceives a series of interlinked narcissistic fantasies populated by matadors, dancing boys, slaves and leather-clad bikers. ... With its highly charged hallucinogenic quality, its atmosphere of lush decadence, and its explicit erotic power, Pink Narcissus is a landmark of gay cinema.

North Sea Texas (2011) | Trailer

The second coming of age film on this list, and this one is a stunner, combining some really amazing visuals with a delicate handling of the story.

Brotherhood (2009) | Trailer

David Dencik is one of the greatest working Swedish actors and he co-stars in this film about two Danish ex-servicemen who when they meet in a neo-nazi group start a relationship.

Weekend (2011) | Trailer

A beautiful, low-key film about a gay man's weekend-long encounter with an artist.

The Boys in the Band (1970) | Trailer

One of the early works of queer cinema, directed by William Friedkin and based on the play of the same name about. The film focuses on its characters and how they interact during a birthday party.

The Naked Civil Servant (1975) | Clip

Based on the autobiography of the same name and starring John Hurt, this television film is about Quentin Crisp, one of the most important gay icons in Britain.

Milk (2008) | Trailer

The dramatisation of the life of gay activist Harvey Milk. Pretty darn decent biopic.

Stranger by the Lake (2013) | Trailer

A film about love and murder around a cruising spot for men.

Prayers for Bobby (2009) | Trailer

Yes it is a Lifetime film but don't stop reading, this one is actually decent. A biopic about Mary Griffith, and the why and how she became a gay rights activist.

Yossi & Jagger (2002) | Trailer

An Israeli film about love between two soldiers stationed in an outpost on the Lebanese border. A not quite as good sequel also exists which you may want to check out if you loved this film.

Boys Don't Cry (1999) | Trailer

The film is a dramatisation of the life of Brandon Teena, a trans man who attempts to find himself and love in Nebraska. A bit bleak but very well made.

Manji (1964) | Trailer

Based on the Japanese novel Quicksand, a married woman having a husband, meets a young, beautiful model and falls in love.

Brokeback Mountain (2005) | Trailer

Probably the biggest mainstream hit of queer cinema (and deservedly so) tells the story of love between two cowboys in Wyoming.

A Single Man (2009) | Trailer

A gorgeous piece of cinema, based on the book of the same name about an English professor struggling to cope with ordinary life in 1960's Los Angeles after the sudden death of his boyfriend. Also Nicholas Hoult is ridiculously good looking.

Maurice (1987) | Trailer

From the director of "Room with a View" and based on the novel of the same title it is a tale of same-sex love in early 20th century England, featuring a young Hugh Grant and great cinematography.

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (1994) | Trailer

A great, if fairly camp, road trip film which follows the journey of two drag queens and a transsexual woman across the Australian Outback.

Christopher and His Kind (2011) | Trailer

Adapted from writer Christopher Isherwood's autobiography of the same name this television film tells the story of Christopher's life in Berlin in the early 1930s.

Free Fall (2013) | Trailer

The film centres around a police officer with a pregnant girlfriend, who whilst he is away on a training course falls in love with a male colleague and the complications that arises from that.

Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001) | Trailer

Based on the stage musical of the same name, this musical comedy-drama film is about a fictional rock band fronted by an East German transgender singer and their tour across the U.S.

Blue Is the Warmest Colour (2013) | Trailer

A French romantic coming-of-age drama about discovering desire, and asserting oneself as a woman and as an adult. Featuring some magnificent performances from the leads.

Happy Together (1997) | Trailer

Directed by the great Hong Kong auteur Wong Kar Wai, the film is about a turbulent relationship between two men.

Mysterious Skin (2004) | The films of Gregg Araki | Trailer

I have no idea how Gregg Araki made this film, most of his work is funny, immaterial films that play with gender norms and sexuality. This however is a fantastic piece of drama with a great central performance by Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

Bad Education (2004) | The films of Pedro Almodóvar | Trailer

Queerness is a central theme in a lot of the films by the Spanish director Pedro Almodóvar, the film I have singled out centres around two childhood friends and the sexual abuse that occurred during their religious schooling under the Franco regime.

Tomboy (2011) | Trailer

This is worth seeing just because of the stunning performance that Zoé Héran gives as a 10 year old transgender boy. Like seriously, the film is great and all but that performance is hauntingly good.

Pride (2014) | Trailer

Based on the actual events, this British feel-good takes place under the miners' strike and is about the unlikely alliance between a small mining village in Wales and a group of lesbian and gay activists.

Fucking Åmål (Show Me Love) (1998) | Painfully 90s Trailer

Okay, so I'm slighty embarrassed for not having included this one the first time around. A modern classic in its native Sweden this film follows two disparate teenage girls finding love in a small town

Lilting (2014) | Trailer

A film about a mother and her son's lover trying come to terms with grief, and understanding the man they both loved. Starring the infallible Ben Whishaw.

Ma Vie en Rose (1997) | Fairly crappy trailer

A film about the youngest boy in a family, and the family itself, coming to terms with his gender identity.

Pariah (2011) | Trailer

A Brooklyn teenager juggles conflicting identities and risks friendship, heartbreak, and family in a desperate search for sexual expression.

The Way He Looks (2014) | Trailer

A Brazillian coming of age drama about a blind high school student struggling with independence and everyday life.

Mädchen in Uniform (1931) | Clip

One of the earliest films explicitly dealing with LGBT themes, about a girl at an all girls school falling in love with a teacher.

Appropriate Behaviour (2015) | Trailer

Wikipedia's plot section covers it perfectly; Shirin is struggling to be an ideal Persian daughter, a politically correct bisexual, and a hip young Brooklynite but fails miserably in her attempt at all identities.

Xaltheron

Welp, finally came out to my mum.

She's fine with it thankfully, she just wondered why it took me so long to tell her. I was kinda waiting for the right time, but the subject just never really came up. I only ended up telling her today because she let slip that she thought I was asexual (apparently I was hiding my sexuality a little too well :p) so I took the opportunity to correct her.

I don't know why I found it so difficult tbh, my family has never been particularly religious or homophobic, I just never had the guts to bring the subject up out of nowhere.

Still, it's a huge weight off my mind, and telling the rest of the family will be much easier now :)

She's fine with it thankfully, she just wondered why it took me so long to tell her. I was kinda waiting for the right time, but the subject just never really came up. I only ended up telling her today because she let slip that she thought I was asexual (apparently I was hiding my sexuality a little too well :p) so I took the opportunity to correct her.

I don't know why I found it so difficult tbh, my family has never been particularly religious or homophobic, I just never had the guts to bring the subject up out of nowhere.

Still, it's a huge weight off my mind, and telling the rest of the family will be much easier now :)

well at least she knew what asexual was. is she still going to ask you for a grand kid? ;P jk. congrats.

Shokifer

Coming out's pretty much a non-issue for me. It's not that my parents and the people around me aren't conservative, but i just consider it none of their business and i'm far too smug to care what people think about it. So for me coming out would just feel tacky.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Congrats! :D

Vitanimus

Coming out's pretty much a non-issue for me. It's not that my parents and the people around me aren't conservative, but i just consider it none of their business and i'm far too smug to care what people think about it. So for me coming out would just feel tacky.

this is basically my reasoning. all my friends know and i'll happily tell them, but for my family i'm not gonna make it a thing and go out of my way to tell them. they 90% probably know anyway. if they ask, i'll tell them but that's about it

Alavard

Hey, congratulations!

I haven't come out to my family as bi yet. I feel like I'm in this weird position where it doesn't really matter, because I'm a guy and in a long-term relationship with a girl (nearly 4 years together and we plan on marrying eventually), and have only dated girls. So I could just totally never bring it up and they'd never know, but then that's me hiding a part of who I am. And it's not even that I thought they wouldn't be accepting, because they definitely would. Just an awkward conversation that I don't want to have, lol. Luckily a decision doesn't need to be reached right this second, and I'm not exactly agonizing over it now.

Shokifer

this is basically my reasoning. all my friends know and i'll happily tell them, but for my family i'm not gonna make it a thing and go out of my way to tell them. they 90% probably know anyway. if they ask, i'll tell them but that's about it

It's why I've never really connected with most LGBT+ fiction stuff, because they always take place in reality and nearly always have a coming out story, and i'm more infatuated with the idea of the affection itself rather than the ignorance surrounding it.

Huzzah! Not another year lost to a lie! My mom hated that I had to deal with it on my own. She felt horrible that I didnt tell them sooner because I thought there was a chance she think less of me if she knew the truth.

For some of us its much easier than we thought. And for others it can be just as bad as they feared.

Lol

I have multiple positions to fill. I doubt Ill ever see him again but its not often I get this kind of stare. I dont think I had my fly open or toilet paper stuck to my shoe. Feels good.

Why do i suddenly feel like I'm in a porno? Anyone else hear that music? Sounds like "bow chicka wow wow"

Also, grats Xaltheron

I keep on being evasive about it, to the point where my family doesn't know whether I'm gay, straight, bisexual, or asexual. I think they are more leaning towards either bi or asexual. I dunno why I don't tell them. I keep on thinking I'll just let it be known once/if I have a boyfriend.

Berordn

I keep on being evasive about it, to the point where my family doesn't know whether I'm gay, straight, bisexual, or asexual. I think they are more leaning towards either bi or asexual. I dunno why I don't tell them. I keep on thinking I'll just let it be known once/if I have a boyfriend.

Based on my own experience that's not really much of a motivator either. I know they won't care if I tell them, I just still have no desire to do so. I'm sure at some point I'll just have to because they'll be meeting him somewhere and I don't want to put him in the position of introducing him alongside breaking the news, but it's still just status quo for me.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yes, Hippie betrayed his own and became Seath the Scaleless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom