• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT9| The Return of the Queen

Everyone is responsible for their own votes, if they voted for Trump anyway despite all of the racist/xenophobic/sexist things he said then they weren't shit anyway.

I highly doubt some labeling triggered that many to vote for a fascist instead of the more logical option.

Meicyn

Gold Member
well they are the majority, it seems
Getting to the root of why Trump won is important, and it isn't helpful to be so casually dismissive of an entire demographic. I know several folks who voted for Trump and I am upset with them, but it was not motivated by hatred of homosexuals (they support gay marriage) or muslims (they don't agree with Trump on his immigration policies and don't think he can implement them).

This kind of stuff is central to us but unfortunately, people vote for a huge range of reasons.

RM8

I'm not exactly surprised, but it's a good reminder that a lot of Americans agree with what Trump says. It's a sad thing to say, but I'm glad I don't have any ties with the US (other than, well, being Mexican, lol). Also I'm not looking forward to yet another blow to the Mexican currency against the USD.

3phemeral

I fear for my friends who just married and my future with my bf of 8 years. And that's not even all of it.

[edit] My mom just came to me asking if I had any plans to marry. And that I should do it soon. I never thought she'd come this far. *tears up* I'm just sad it's on a day like today.

KmA

Whoo Brown, Muslim, AND gay can't wait for January y'all! Trump is literally Joanne the Scammer she played us all. Finally, she got that caucasion lifestyle.

Goldrush

My worst thought from this result is that there isn't an uprising of support for LGBT+ and the progress we made in the last few years was just a fluke of the right persons being in the right place.

Kinsei

Banned
My worst thought from this result is that there isn't an uprising of support for LGBT+ and the progress we made in the last few years was just a fluke of the right persons being in the right place.

It does seem like people will shoot us in the head with a smile on their face if they think it will save them a buck.

To try and look on the bright side, maybe people will realize how much they fucked up when they see how much pain and suffering a Trump presidency brings to minorities all across America.

Did you guys see my thread in Off Topic general about SCOTUS and marriage equality? It's worth a read - it put some of my anxiety at ease.

Something about me senses/prays that Trump isn't as anti-LGBT as he might be acting. I sense there was homophobic pandering during his campaign, but part of me really hopes he doesn't give a shit about us and finds bigger fish to fry.

Trump maybe. Pence is legit fucking scary.

Syder

BritGAF popping in, over the years I've made so many American friends online, a lot of them part of the LGBT community, my heart is fucking hurting so much for you guys right now. I just don't know where we go from here as humans.

So I'm bicurious, hetero romantic but I've done a few things with the same sex before. First time posting in here.

I post a Facebook post about how I'm feeling

I haven't been this disappointed in my country since I can remember.

A sexist, homophobic, transphobic, racist, xenophobic, fraudulent, facist, POW-shaming, gold medal family hating, climate-change denying, lying scam artist has probably just won the President of the United States.

Don't even give me the bullshit about economic anxiety, you wouldn't have voted for someone who needed a 14 million dollar loan from Daddy only to lose 918 million dollars in one year and declare bankruptcy 6 times. The stock market wouldn't be in free fall right now and massive amounts of bipartisan economists wouldn't come out against Trump if he was so great for the economy.

Don't even give me that bullshit about "draining the swamp", you wouldn't have voted for incumbent Republicans for Congress who do everything they can to obstruct progress. Not to mention their failure to overturn Citizen's United which is the most blatant form of money in politics.

Don't give me that bullshit about being pro-life, Donald Trump has flip-flopped on abortion more times than he can count.

Don't give me that bullshit about Trump being for LGBTQ rights, he wouldn't have a running mate who made it legal to discriminate against LGBTQ folks if he was.

Don't give me that bullshit about not wanting higher taxes, Hillary Clinton has repeatedly stated she doesn't plan on raising taxes for people who make less than 250k a year.

Don't give me that bullshit about Obamacare being a failure, yes premiums were rising rapidly but they were going to rise even more if we stayed the course. Plus it wasn't able to be implemented as Obama would have liked because of Republican obstruction. Hillary wasn't going to leave it as is, she was going to fix it and not blow it up. As it is we're going to financially ruin millions of Americans with healthcare.

Don't give me that bullshit about Hillary being a liar, yes she lies like every politician but if you actually look at the rates she's much, much more honest than Donald.

Don't give me that bullshit about a Trump victory not being a big deal, he can have a very real effect on climate change and the supreme court especially now that he has all 3 branches.

Don't give me that bullshit about Hillary being more prone to starting a war when Trump has said he'd bomb a foreign country just for taunting us.

Don't give me that bullshit about Trump being better for vets, he wouldn't have shamed John McCain for being a prisoner of war or imply that the Khan family were radical Islamic terrorists if he was a true patriot. And he wants to expand the military budget? It covers so much already and so much of it is wasted on bloated prototypes that don't even make it in to the field. How about we provide proper relief for our veterans first.

Don't give me that bullshit about voting for him because you're in favor of small government, small government wouldn't try to restrict freedom of the press, use billions of taxpayer money to build an unrealistic wall, have a massive deportation police force, ban an entire religion from entering the country or expand stop and frisk despite being shut down already for being unconstitutional.

I know a Facebook rant is hardly going to change anyone's mind but if I didn't speak out against this horrible piece of shit it would be even harder to go to sleep tonight then it already is going to be.

My best friend from high school (straight white male) commented on it asking me to bottle up my liberal tears so he could drink from them.

How was I ever friends with that piece of shit.

Remember. It's our job as oppressed minorities to coddle and empathize with those that just voted that we aren't shit to them.

Otherwise we might hurt their feelings

Remember. It's our job as oppressed minorities to coddle and empathize with those that just voted that we aren't shit to them.

Otherwise we might hurt their feelings
Damn you're right, this is how I should respond

I'm sorry I called you a homophobe for voting in a person who made it legal to discriminate against homosexuals :(

Bladenic

So I'm bicurious, hetero romantic but I've done a few things with the same sex before. First time posting in here.

I post a Facebook post about how I'm feeling

My best friend from high school (straight white male) commented on it asking me to bottle up my liberal tears so he could drink from them.

How was I ever friends with that piece of shit.

I don't condone violence at all

But you should fight that little bitch

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Colorado voted for Hillary, voted to re-elect our Democratic senator, voted to raise the minimum wage, and voted for medical aid-in-dying

but voted against single payer healthcare, against higher tobacco taxes and (it's looking like we) voted to keep involuntary servitude in Colorado’s prison system.

Disappointed on the latter three, but overall Colorado did pretty okay tonight.
it's the rest of the country that fucked up :/

Ratrat

Anything I can read to better understand the ramifications for the lgbt community(forgive this ignorant non-American)?

Veeboy

I honestly didn't think this would affect me so much, but... I just feel strange, empty, like I'm at the onset of a Great Depression (for my psyche). My already fragile emotional state can't handle this. Now I'm sitting here thinking about so many other things in my life and I'm like on the precipice of darkness. I'm sure to many (perhaps not in this thread) this sounds overly dramatic, though I suppose it would to a rich white straight person.

The fact that he had some noticeable support with women, minorities, AND LGBT+ is truly mind boggling. I just can't.

I honestly feel the same way. I've had a huge knot in my stomach since last night and I feel so weirdly numb. Like, my mind has accepted this as fact, but my emotions have checked out completely and my body is filled with tension. I couldn't get to sleep so I had to take some sleeping pills, but that only got me 4 hours of sleep and now I'm back wide awake, afraid, and emotionally haywire.

I'm incredibly unsure about my future and knowing there is nothing I can do to change this situation for at least 2 years is deeply unsettling.

Anything I can read to better understand the ramifications for the lgbt community(forgive this ignorant non-American)?
His vice president made it legal to discriminate against LGBTQ people in his state

His vice president rerouted funds that were supposed to be going to AIDS research in to gay "conversion camps" that are wholly unethical

He has control of all the branches of government now and could theoretically repeal gay marriage if he wanted to, or put forth legal discrimination

Gg

His vice president made it legal to discriminate against LGBTQ people in his state

His vice president rerouted funds that were supposed to be going to AIDS research in to gay "conversion camps" that are wholly unethical

He has control of all the branches of government now and could theoretically repeal gay marriage if he wanted to, or put forth legal discrimination

Gg

How long ago was the second item? Aren't those camps now banned outright?

Kater

Banned
So...

...this happened.

😣

We're going to have to stand together closer than we ever have in the past 8 years. Who else will look out for us?
Yep.

All my sympathy to the Americans here. They surely need it.

Gg
That's what I said myself, Pence in this position sounds scary. But surely he must go through the highest courts to repeal SSM, no? That should take time, and with some luck they are to busy with more important things anyway.

Ratrat

Gg
Is that last bit likely? Im seeing suicide hotline stuff all over twitter. I was hoping people were exagerating...

Andrin

I feel genuinely sick right now. I had been worrying about worst case scenarios for a while now, and this was still shocking. And I just know that this will embolden the racists and homophobes over here as well. Please stay safe and take care of yourselves everyone. I'd say it gets better, but I just don't know anymore :(

Kater

Banned
I feel genuinely sick right now. I had been worrying about worst case scenarios for a while now, and this was still shocking. And I just know that this will embolden the racists and homophobes over here as well. Please stay safe and take care of yourselves everyone. I'd say it gets better, but I just don't know anymore :(
It does, they probably are besides themselves with glee after hearing those news. Urgh

The last thing we need now is more victories for the right-wing politicians.

Kater

Banned
umop_3pisdn, dude. If you are planning some Bhuddist retreat in Tibet or wherever sometime soon I might be on board haha

I really need to collect myself.

And the "fun" is not over for me here as the Austrian Presidential election is December 4th, this year. My anxiety couldn't be much worse.

Pence on his anti-lgbt discrimination laws

“No-one should fear persecution because of their deeply-held religious beliefs.”

F U C K

O F F

I don't know what to say, I actually thought this had no chance of happening... no words.

I feel for you American GAF, seems like another case of selfish old people ruining it for younger people. There really needs to be an age limit for voting, everywhere.

Sai-kun

Banned
rural folks can go fuck themselves. they're gonna stay poor and losing and i'm gonna stay brown and making money. get fucked, shitlords.

Dany

Banned
The executive order's and supreme court picks are going to hurt. Considering Pence is his VP he might revoke marriage equality.

Top Bottom