• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT9| The Return of the Queen

_Isaac

Someone once gave me an book for anal sex between straight couples. I just kinda giggled at it and I forgot what I did with it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
2004. I wonder if there's been a lot of new discoveries in the last ten years in the field of proper anal sex. Maybe safety stuff?

Having read the book (but it's been years) it doesn't actually get into the preparation and safety stuff. It's more sex positions (think Kama Sutra, I guess) and romance/dating issues more than anything. Similar to a few that I've ran across in Amazon Kindle previews.

Sibylus

Banned
I love the vibes from that 8-y.o. queer thread! It was unmistakably punk and underground, far more than this vanilla OT9 (just kidding ... or was I?)

It's specially funny to read how much some of you have changed, like Mr. Sai who talks about a bf in some posts (I believe you already told that in a recent thread about bisexuality)

Oh well, I'm a lurker so I'll go back to the depths of my cave where I should never leave from.

Vanilla? SOne of a bitch this is 100% tiger flavor

mantidor

The YouTube shenanigans are seriously upsetting and scary, what are your thoughts, letters GAF? Basically LGBT content is being flagged and dropped in restricted mode and YouTube's excuse is that it's not a popular mode so it's ok.

Bladenic

The YouTube shenanigans are seriously upsetting and scary, what are your thoughts, letters GAF? Basically LGBT content is being flagged and dropped in restricted mode and YouTube's excuse is that it's not a popular mode so it's ok.

It's annoying because it's the same kind of thing when having any sort of gay content will bump any sort of media's rating higher than it would've otherwise been. It's stupid, and YouTube/Google can get fucked. I only hope there's a big enough outcry from the content creators that they'll go back on this.

I always just think to myself "it's fucking 2017" when this shit happens. WHY now? YouTube's been around for over a decade.

Edit: Mess Erect Andromeda at 75 Metacritic. I don't care about reviews but BUY acclaimed (79 meta) RPG Tales of Berseria today instead

jSAevuz.gif

RM8

I had a "conversation" with this painfully racist woman at work, about how wrong interracial marriages are. Holy mother of fuck. I'm legit shook, this is the first time I encounter this brand of racism in my life (living abroad makes me appreciate Mexico so much, this shit would get ridiculed back home). She was using edgy 4channer terms like "diluting the gene pool" and stuff - we have teachers at this school who are married to people from other countries, I wish they have been there just so everyone could tell her to shut up. Her reasoning is that people fetishize interracial babies, and that they have a hard time at school for being different - so interracial marriage is bad. I told her about my cousins who are Mexican-Japanese and she told me "I don't know 100% if they didn't have any problems growing up". You stupid bitch, they're like my sisters and I know for sure they didn't grow up around garbage people like you. "Some people may think of your cousins as not entirely Japanese, or not entirely Mexican".

Well, first of all, who the fuck cares. Second, there's no such thing as not a real Mexican because Mexicans don't have a hate boner for foreigners, nor do we care about racial purity shit. That's so 200 years ago for us. Good lord, I'm glad I'm getting moved to a different campus soon, I don't want to be near this nasty bag of hate. Alternatively, she's having issues getting her work visa approved, so Japan might kick her out of here pretty soon. I'm hoping that happens, to be honest.

Beth Cyra

I had a "conversation" with this painfully racist woman at work, about how wrong interracial marriages are. Holy mother of fuck. I'm legit shook, this is the first time I encounter this brand of racism in my life (living abroad makes me appreciate Mexico so much, this shit would get ridiculed back home). She was using edgy 4channer terms like "diluting the gene pool" and stuff - we have teachers at this school who are married to people from other countries, I wish they have been there just so everyone could tell her to shut up. Her reasoning is that people fetishize interracial babies, and that they have a hard time at school for being different - so interracial marriage is bad. I told her about my cousins who are Mexican-Japanese and she told me "I don't know 100% if they didn't have any problems growing up". You stupid bitch, they're like my sisters and I know for sure they didn't grow up around garbage people like you. "Some people may think of your cousins as not entirely Japanese, or not entirely Mexican".

Well, first of all, who the fuck cares. Second, there's no such thing as not a real Mexican because Mexicans don't have a hate boner for foreigners, nor do we care about racial purity shit. That's so 200 years ago for us. Good lord, I'm glad I'm getting moved to a different campus soon, I don't want to be near this nasty bag of hate. Alternatively, she's having issues getting her work visa approved, so Japan might kick her out of here pretty soon. I'm hoping that happens, to be honest.

Ill never understand this one.

Don't get it from a white perspective and can't imagine it from any other either. I got three kids, the skin color of the person they get with isn't what matters its how the person treats them.

I can kinda get Trans hate as we are confusing at time, but the hate due to skin color is one I don't get and never will.

Granted maybe it helped that I was Trans and my father was both homophobic and horribly racist so maybe I just rejected him so much rejecting Racism at an early age came with the Homophobia rejection as a package deal.

Did you get the 1080 ti yet?

Nope, waiting on AIB cards.

From my semi-recent experience trying to get a 1070 in July, I can say it'll probably be a while before you can get your hands on a 1080ti. Unfortunately, most GPU launches these days are "paper launches," where the card is out in theory, but actually finding one, and for the MSRP quoted, is a near-impossible crapshoot. That is, unless they actually fixed it this time around.

Are they still doing "Founder's Editions," ie. ripping off early adopters for inferior cards?

Kevyt

Is it just me or is discord down?

Nope, waiting on AIB cards.

From my semi-recent experience trying to get a 1070 in July, I can say it'll probably be a while before you can get your hands on a 1080ti. Unfortunately, most GPU launches these days are "paper launches," where the card is out in theory, but actually finding one, and for the MSRP quoted, is a near-impossible crapshoot. That is, unless they actually fixed it this time around.

Are they still doing "Founder's Editions," ie. ripping off early adopters for inferior cards?

Yeah, I remember how it was with the 970, I think it took two months for them to have them in stock since they sold out super fast.

I'm just wondering if the wait is worth it given that by the time the AIB cards are available Vega from AMD Will be very close to launch as well.

No, there is no premium price this time for the founders edition of the 1080 ti. I think NVIDIA got the message, hopefully.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I had a "conversation" with this painfully racist woman at work, about how wrong interracial marriages are. Her reasoning is that people fetishize interracial babies, and that they have a hard time at school for being different - so interracial marriage is bad. "Some people may think of your cousins as not entirely Japanese, or not entirely Mexican".

My mom opposes interracial marriage for similar reasons. "Someone think of the children! They won't fit in with either side! Outsiders for life!" :/

kuYuri

I've heard April is the launch for those cards, but we will see. As much as I want it, I have no problems waiting a bit for prices to settle.

Founders Edition exist and don't have a tax this time, it's actually the AIB cards that will end up being more expensive like how it was before the 1070/1080.

Burbeting

Banned
Andromeda keeps on disappointing...

So according to the official guide and reviewers, some of the datamining was incorrect. Gay Scott only gets two romance options as opposed to straight Scott's five, gay Sara's four and straight Sara's three, neither of which are squadmates and neither of which have unique faces (just character creator ones). This also means that people playing as gay Scott won't be able to get the romance trophy/achievement without turning him bi. Good job, BW, good job...

kCNDpEX.jpg

Yikes.

Finn

My gay issues aren't really about the gay part. Like I don't think it's anything that specifically needs to be revealed, since my issues are with myself and not necessarily related to being gay.

And I just don't know if I'd want to tell her because she knows my mom and me personally. Which does sound counter productive, but I guess I'll just see what she says when my mom asks her if she'll see me.

The funny thing about therapy is that you might go in thinking that one thing is your problem and, through the process, realize that something else is the problem (or exacerbating the original problem), etc. So I would be very wary of going to a professional with whom you cannot be completely open and honest, even if you think the particular topic won't come up or its relevance isn't immediately apparent to you.

That said, I have been in therapy since my first very bad breakup (I mean, that was the catalyst to go but I've stayed in treatment since for other issues) and have found it to be a godsend. To those that scoff at the idea of a therapist, they really don't know what they're missing.

Either way, good luck to you. I hope you find someone that helps you out!

Burbeting

Banned
I kind of want to write a thread about that Andromeda issue, but I don't know if my english is good enough to write it down as precisely as possible.

kuYuri

People mentioning "Scott" re: Mass Effect, is that just the default male name like John was for the original trilogy?

At this point, it should be interstellar. Huh?! HUH?!

I'll see myself out.

Yep, Scott Ryder is the name of default male Ryder, while Sara Ryder is the name of default female Ryder.

I've been playing a lot of NHL 17 lately, and I have to say that I'm impressed with the diversity on the soundtrack. There are some solid pop songs in there along with the traditional rock stuff, like:

https://youtu.be/Dnams0AK9QE
https://youtu.be/PTNQxoMwSyY

And this Chainsmokers song: https://youtu.be/DijrD6B3vcE

I'm gonna look into the Chainsmokers, I think. Really love that song. I think it sounds a lot like mah gurl Katy Perry, but maybe it's just me.

Yep, Scott Ryder is the name of default male Ryder, while Sara Ryder is the name of default female Ryder.

I think I'll name mine Zack, because, well, I'm the world's biggest dork.

Salarians

Par for the course for Mass Effect, sadly.

Dragon Age has been and only gotten better with LGBTQ characters, likely thanks to its former and current lead writers both being queer. Krem wasn't perfect but he doesn't deadname himself in your first conversation. Come on, Bioware.

Assuming the hints are true, hopefully DA4 will deliver and give us Mae as a party member.

Speaking of trans characters in games, I'm a big fan of Ned Wynert in Assassin's Creed: Syndicate. It's not some major deal in the game, but it makes his character seem all the more authentic to me. They don't parade him being trans around to exploit it. Plus, he's kinda cute. :3

tumblr_nvrwryeseW1rw0szfo1_500.gif

Sibylus

Banned
I loved Ned Wynert as a character. He was just living his life, doing his thing, and people didn't give him shit for it. Inspirational shit, right?

Bladenic

I seem to recall reading that people had issues with Ned actually. Although I thought it was a bit unfair. People were complaining that it wasn't realistic to the times that a trans character could be so open and that they wanted the fact that he was a trans character during those times explored more. Fair enough, but I think Ubi had their heart in the right place by showing a trans character as just another equal, regular person.

Not this seemingly after school special portrayal in Andromeda, anyway. Although I'm basing that merely on that screenshot, so that's jumping the gun a bit.

Sibylus

Banned
I seem to recall reading that people had issues with Ned actually. Although I thought it was a bit unfair. People were complaining that it wasn't realistic to the times that a trans character could be so open and that they wanted the fact that he was a trans character during those times explored more. Fair enough, but I think Ubi had their heart in the right place by showing a trans character as just another equal, regular person.

Not this seemingly after school special portrayal in Andromeda, anyway. Although I'm basing that merely on that screenshot, so that's jumping the gun a bit.

Trans men predated and thrived before the time of Assassin's Creed: Syndicate basically doing what Ned did. It never struck me as unrealistic, particularly because Ned never made his being trans a convo starter! He dressed the part of a Victorian man and gave folks no other name and life than the one he felt fit him.

Trans men predated and thrived before the time of Assassin's Creed: Syndicate basically doing what Ned did. It never struck me as unrealistic, particularly because Ned never made his being trans a convo starter! He dressed the part of a Victorian man and gave folks no other name and life than the one he felt fit him.

Yeah, exactly. Plus, he was a crime lord, of sorts, so I doubt you'd wanna fuck with him anyway, haha.

Also, and this isn't aimed at anyone here, but the critique that a trans person isn't "realistic" in an AC game is ridiculous anyway. There's a *tonne* of absurd mystical and anachronistic elements. It's the same stupid argument people make against black people in Europe-based fantasy when there's also magic and dragons and shit.

Golnei

I'm not really too enamoured with that defense for including those types of characters in historically-derived fantasy settings; seeing as it's still operating on the assumption that their presence is inherently unrealistic; when the existence of people we would consider LGBT has been a constant throughout recorded history, and it's similarly supported by documented evidence that Europe wasn't uniformly white until 1915. By conflating it with magic and dragons, even with farcical intent; it kind of reduces the claim that they have to exist as part of history, not just as garnishing for flavour on top of a stylised fantasy world.

Salarians

Ned was cool. My main complaint with AC Syndicate was that the "mission giver" characters like Ned or Abberline didn't get a whole lot of content. It was a pretty nice little ensemble they had.

Wish they had been more explicit with Jacob being bi too. I've had enough of "subtlety".

Bladenic

Oh I know and agree. That's just what I recall reading regarding the character in Syndicate.

And yes, the "realism" argument regarding Assassin's Creed is the utmost in Bullshit 101.

Top Bottom