• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA Thread |OT5| Can't even drink straight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my goodness we have Animorphs fans in here.
Those books were so cool. I always imagined what it would be like to be another person. I often dreamed about too. I guess that's weird but whatever. :p

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Let's all try to come up with a list for films and books. TV shows too. I think it would be good to add it to the OT instead of reserving the first post for it.

Let's!

TV - Queer as Folk (UK and US), Transparent, Six Feet Under (not exclusively lgbt themed, but one of the main characters is gay and he and his boyfriend are still probably the most fully realized gay characters in all of TV), Looking (one of the only current gay shows on TV, so why not), DTLA (for a soapy guilty pleasure mess), Angels in America, Orange is the New Black (also not exclusively lgbt themed but a lot of the characters are lesbian, bi, and trans), Noah's Arc (I haven't seen this but it's apparently decent), Queer Eye for the Straight Guy (of course!! :p)

Movies - Paris is Burning; Chris & Don: A Love Story; Weekend; Brokeback Mountain; The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert; Beautiful Thing; Happy Together; To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar;

Will add more later. I'm sure Mumei has a ton of books to recommend.

Kater

Banned
Looks kool!

The asshole seventh Animorph who
was like evil or some shit.
Ah, that little git. Now I remember again.

Didn't he die or something?

Oh my goodness we have Animorphs fans in here.
Those books were so cool. I always imagined what it would be like to be another person. I often dreamed about too. I guess that's weird but whatever. :p
I drew a lot as a kid, and it was mostly drawings of myself as an animal morph. Mostly feline animals though (I know, not really a big surprise).

HylianTom

Banned
TV:
not to dismiss Billy Crystal's recent disappointing comments, but SOAP was an incredible moment in TV history. Crystal played the first regular queer character in a TV show. He, ABC, and the show got a TON of shit from conservative "pro-family" groups when it aired in the late 1970s. Protests, boycotts, threats of violence.. it was a big fucking deal when it first aired.

Crystal's character and his family were portrayed sympathetically, with some pretty good topics explored. When I was closeted in high school with no exposure to any gay content whatsoever, seeing SOAP reruns on Comedy Central was a desperate breath of fresh air. I recently re-viewed it to see if it still held-up, especially since I now have other gay outlets, and thankfully it still does.

As a bonus: the TV show - even without the gay topics - is absolutely wickedly funny. It very cleverly mocks many TV tropes and devices. Infidelity, demonic possession, amnesia, insanity, family dysfunction, interracial romance, alien abductions, suicide, cults, horny priests, big dramatic trials - it was amazing. The rest of the cast is incredible as well. You'll recognize a lot of older actors and actresses in both the regular cast and guest appearances. If you get a chance to watch it, I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Movies:
Jeffrey - the quinessential 1990s gay movie. Patrick Stewart's performance alone makes this one worthwhile. Greg and I will be quoting it to our graves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea7bj5MsyAU

Kevyt

Let's!

TV - Queer as Folk (UK and US), Transparent, Six Feet Under (not exclusively lgbt themed, but one of the main characters is gay and he and his boyfriend are still probably the most fully realized gay characters in all of TV), Looking (one of the only current gay shows on TV, so why not), DTLA (for a soapy guilty pleasure mess), Angels in America, Orange is the New Black (also not exclusively lgbt themed but a lot of the characters are lesbian, bi, and trans), Noah's Arc (I haven't seen this but it's apparently decent), Queer Eye for the Straight Guy (of course!! :p)

Movies - Paris is Burning; Chris & Don: A Love Story; Weekend; Brokeback Mountain; The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert; Beautiful Thing; Happy Together; To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar;

Awesome! Yeah, I have seen some books recommended by Mumei. Thanks for writing this Ratsky. I think it would be better to quote you and the rest in the OT.

Let's!

Shameless (US) is up there with Six Feet Under imo. I ship Ian and
Mickey
so hard and I normally think shipping is pretty dumb.

Vazduh

I'd add BBC's In The Flesh to the list. It's a zombie show that also serves as a
not so subtle
gay allegory. Oh, and the lead character is gay.

HylianTom

Banned
Another show (not available online) where there are gay themes present, but it isn't the central idea:
The Kids in the Hall

Lots of cross-dressing, lots of gay recurring characters.. god, I'd love to do a re-watch.

---

And then, finally a suggestion that's available online (on Hulu): Strangers With Candy

It's a series about Jerri Blank. She's 47 years old.. and a high school student. She "likes the pole and the hole." Probably one of the most clevely, obscenely-written TV shows in the past 20 years. TONS of celebrity cameos. Infinitely quotable.

Bonus: Stephen Colbert plays a very prominent role in the show's making, both in writing and in the role he plays on-screen as Jerri's teacher. You can really see Colbert's Daily Show & Colbert Report talent shining through, and it should be noted that SWC shares a lot of overlapping writing/producing staff with the Colbert Report.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
sore throat

feel a cold coming on

42EUHDJ.gif

Lucario

And then, finally a suggestion that's available online (on Hulu): Strangers With Candy

It's a series about Jerri Blank. She's 47 years old.. and a high school student. She "likes the pole and the hole." Probably one of the most clevely, obscenely-written TV shows in the past 20 years. TONS of celebrity cameos. Infinitely quotable.

Bonus: Stephen Colbert plays a very prominent role in the show's making, both in writing and in the role he plays on-screen as Jerri's teacher. You can really see Colbert's Daily Show & Colbert Report talent shining through, and it should be noted that SWC shares a lot of overlapping writing/producing staff with the Colbert Report.
Shit, I haven't heard of this show in forever... Definitely worth a watch, I think I'm going to re-watch it soon.

Ty4on

I thought A referenced Amiibos
I forgot to congratulate you! :D
It feels like yesterday when you first came out to some friends so who knows what tomorrow will be like.
not to dismiss Billy Crystal's recent disappointing comments, but SOAP was an incredible moment in TV history. Crystal played the first regular queer character in a TV show. He, ABC, and the show got a TON of shit from conservative "pro-family" groups when it aired in the late 1970s. Protests, boycotts, threats of violence.. it was a big fucking deal when it first aired.
I love old stuff with a surprisingly modern view. I'll have to give this a watch.

Why had I not heard of this before? Must... watch...
xueWoBZ.gif

Meicyn

Gold Member
Honey is the best. Orange blossom is my variety of choice. Pairs extremely well with a cup of earl grey. I drink at least a cup every morning.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I need to get more into tea drinking. I have it sometimes, but not nearly enough.
If you're going for the store bought stuff, I recommend Twinings. Bigelow's take on earl grey tastes weird to me, just can't get into their blends. Tazo makes some pretty good stuff too.

If I need a big caffeine kick, Irish Breakfast does the trick. It's no cup of coffee, but the caffeine content is a lot higher than most other blends.

If you're going for the store bought stuff, I recommend Twinings. Bigelow's take on earl grey tastes weird to me, just can't get into their blends. Tazo makes some pretty good stuff too.

If I need a big caffeine kick, Irish Breakfast does the trick. It's no cup of coffee, but the caffeine content is a lot higher than most other blends.
Earl Grey is what I usually drink when I do get tea, so I'll try those out. Thanks. :)

can i sub 4 pancake syrup
You could, but that won't help you get any better.

You can drink a whole bottle of syrup when you get well if you want. ;3

daripad

I forgot to congratulate you! :D
It feels like yesterday when you first came out to some friends so who knows what tomorrow will be like.

Well, I really don't know what will be my next step, I haven't given much thought to the future because school is coming but I really hope that what happens next is a good and a big thing.

The Kids in the Hall

Strangers With Candy

Kids in the Hall was on Netflix and Hulu for the longest time, but I'm guessing not anymore, and is one of the funniest things I have ever seen. I looked up to Scott Thompson a lot when I was a younger teen for being an openly gay and extremely funny motherfucker. Strangers with Candy is also incredible and I actually used that show for scene analysis for some of my classes. Both shows were used in a semester-long research project I did, as well.

My other addition would be Mission Hill, an animated show of 20-something apathy and complacence and actual growing-up. Two of the main characters (outside of the 20-somethings) are an elderly gay couple that are portrayed wonderfully and lovingly, I think, and are shown as just a couple in love. The show claims to have the first on-air same-sex male kiss, even if it was animated. (I think that's right or at least what they say. Ellen predates it though in general)

Kevyt

Animorphs <33333

Wonderful series.

I posted a list of nonfiction stuff earlier in the thread (last list), and Cosmic Bus also posted some fiction suggestions a bit after that.

Will add your book suggestions.

Well, I really don't know what will be my next step, I haven't given much thought to the future because school is coming but I really hope that what happens next is a good and a big thing.

giphy.gif

Mumei

which are the gay ones?

The last list are gender / sexuality stuff; the specifically gay stuff should be apparent from the names since it usually has "gay" or "homosexuality" or something in the title.

I honestly wish that someone would take that concept and make it more adult.
It could be so much more. Great concept. <3

That would be pretty amazing. As it was, it was a pretty mature series for something that I was getting out of Scholastic book sales; it dealt with some pretty heady subjects for first or second grader (which I was when I first started reading them).

DOWN

Banned
why do they always do this?

The best ones are when the other reciprocates, it's very amusing. Although to be honest it rubs me the wrong way, since it's meant to provoke, not to say "gays are awesome!"... it's actually kind of the opposite.
Yeah, it seems like it is meant to seem like kissing a guy is the worst thing and they blow up trying to make it certain to everyone that it's outrageous

That would be pretty amazing. As it was, it was a pretty mature series for something that I was getting out of Scholastic book sales; it dealt with some pretty heady subjects for first or second grader (which I was when I first started reading them).
For sure. I just meant more in the realm of being longer books in general.
I always disliked how short they were Tbh.
I also would've liked to see more of that universe. It had some promise. There were some darker themes that they shied away from that I thought deserved a deeper look.

Great books for what they were though. I'm glad you have some good taste. :)

bigkrev

Messenger bags are awesome. Just a random update that I got one and love it.

Got one for the holidays and I love it. Makes me look like an adult (because before that, I was taking a draw string bag to work every day), and it's easy to pull my Kindle out of on the train without moving around too much.

big dix = small dix > average dix

You can't tell, but I am blushing right now

Also, if you are looking for something different, you should read the 2013 run of Young Avengers.. It's a fun story about a (mostly gay) group of Teenage superheros and Loki trying to fix multiple dimensions of reality, has a great YA feel to it's story, and even won a GLADD Media Award. It's all up on Marvel Unlimited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom