• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Liam Neeson says Star Wars: The Phantom Menace backlash robbed Ahmed Best of becoming the next Eddie Murphy

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/liam-neeson-says-hes-proud-of-the-phantom-menace

Liam Neeson says he is proud of Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace despite the backlash and criticism the film received when it was released in 1999.

Talking Monday with Andy Cohen on SiriusXM channel Radio Andy, the actor said he enjoyed making the film and believed it turned out well.

"I like the film. I proud of it and proud to have been a part of it," Neeson told Cohen. "I got to be a Jedi. I got to play with those wonderful lightsabers and stuff. It was terrific, Andy, it really was."

The Qui-Gon Jinn actor also noted he was greatly distressed by how badly Ahmed Best was attacked by fans and critics at the time for Jar Jar Binks.

"He came into a lot of criticism, I mean to the point where it really hurt his career," Neeson said. "And I have to say when I was making that film … he was probably one of the funniest guys and talented guys I have ever worked with." Neeson added that he was so impressed, he told his manager that he believed Best could be the next Eddie Murphy. "And I still believe that," he said.
e15c8ae92e642598b180049ad8d287ea.jpg

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.

Sorcerer

Neeson has spoken out against The Phantom Menace before, now he's proud of it? I know he made a comment about how all the actors came across as wooden.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
pretty bullshit of them to blame fans first, but that is typical of the media.

the mainstream media was straight up calling Ahmed "Stephen Fetchit" and constantly making fun of him. but no surprise the Hollywood Report is using the old "toxic fans" trope as a smokescreen.

[/URL]

JonSnowball

The worst part of this were the outrage mobs that lack any ability to think critically. The entire point of his statement was to provide an example of revenge and how it's not the answer, yet the Internet hive mind latched on to the racial component. He himself admits it wasn't a wise thing to do, and it was a learning experience. That was the entire point of him discussing something that happened over 40 years ago in an interview promoting a film about revenge.

“It’s awful. But I did learn a lesson from it," Neeson said. “I understand that need for revenge, but it just leads to more revenge, to more killing and more killing.”

-Arcadia-

Banned
I can believe it’s possible. If Best was funny, we’d never know from Jar-Jar, and certainly, he didn’t have a chance to have a career after that.

It’s kind of hard to tell from a CG G-rated children’s character, but his comic timing and delivery seem good. All of our darkest secret is that we’ve all quoted Jar-Jar lines at some point in our lives.

It really sucks that people couldn’t keep their negative feelings about the movie, focused on the movie, and rational. All the hate for the actors (and before woke times, so we can be assured it’s authentic) just wasn’t fair to them at all.

Last edited:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

I can believe it’s possible. If Best was funny, we’d never know from Jar-Jar, and certainly, he didn’t have a chance to have a career after that.

It’s kind of hard to tell from a CG G-rated children’s character, but his comic timing and delivery seem good. All of our darkest secret is that we’ve all quoted Jar-Jar lines at some point in our lives.

It really sucks that people couldn’t keep their negative feelings about the movie, focused on the movie, and rational. All the hate for the actors (and before woke times, so we can be assured it’s authentic) just wasn’t fair to them at all.
Problem is he was directed by George of all people. Ahmed did what he was told and did it well, problem is its not what the audience wanted and I can only imagine not just for Ahmed but also the rest of the cast of the prequels of they were given more say for their characters and dialogue if the movies would have turned out for the better

Why her hair purple?! Movie bad!
No, but because of:
* slow ass bombers in space, even though Y-Wings exist.
* shitty side quest on Monte Carlo the planet, where they get caught because THEY PARKED WRONG
* stupid blatant virtue signalling show off of "MORALLY AMBIGUOUS WEAPONS TRADERS". Now I feel so much better in my story about space sorcerers and space nazis.
* tit milk
* Luke being destroyed as a character
* Hux being destroyed as a character
* Snoke being killed off like a jobber
* lame copy of Hoth scene. "But it's SALT!". Yeah, fuck you, RJ.
* movie completely disregarding and ultimately changing Star Wars combat physics
* Mary Leia Poppins
* Kylo Ren being shown as complete tool that cannot accomplish anything

And, yeah, RoS was shit as well, and TFA copied ANH. So don't get me started on that one.

Ionian

Prequels where a testing ground for Lucsafilms next tech.

Also, I never got why the actor was harassed, heard about it a decade after. Dude was CGI, who harassed him, this a Twitter thing?

Also the film was shit, read the script beforehand (went on sale before the film) but nearly went into a coma watching it.

Last edited:
Prequels where a testing ground for Lucsafilms next tech.

Also, I never got why the actor was harassed, heard about it a decade after. Dude was CGI, who harassed him, this a Twitter thing?

Also the film was shit, read the script beforehand (went on sale before the film) but nearly went into a coma watching it.
Ywitter wasn't a thing then.

Ionian

Ywitter wasn't a thing then.

Oh I know that, just don't understand where the harassment came from.

Usenet, snail mail, IRC, tabloids, conventions?

Just doesn't make sense to me he received it if he was CGI, not saying he didn't, just sounds honestly weird.

Grinchy

Banned
I don't believe there's any part of him that means what he's saying here.

Or, he's never actually seen or heard Eddie Murphy. That's a possibility, too. Maybe he just thinks they look alike.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

I don't believe there's any part of him that means what he's saying here.

Or, he's never actually seen or heard Eddie Murphy. That's a possibility, too. Maybe he just thinks they look alike.
I mean behind thr scenes we dont know how charismatic or funny he is. Liam has, we have not

OneBigPuss

I saw a nice interview with Ahmed one year ago.Actually felt sorry for him after the backlash and after he wanted to commit suicide because of that but next Eddy Murphy?Its just like your opinion man.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
No, but because of:
* slow ass bombers in space, even though Y-Wings exist.
* shitty side quest on Monte Carlo the planet, where they get caught because THEY PARKED WRONG
* stupid blatant virtue signalling show off of "MORALLY AMBIGUOUS WEAPONS TRADERS". Now I feel so much better in my story about space sorcerers and space nazis.
* tit milk
* Luke being destroyed as a character
* Hux being destroyed as a character
* Snoke being killed off like a jobber
* lame copy of Hoth scene. "But it's SALT!". Yeah, fuck you, RJ.
* movie completely disregarding and ultimately changing Star Wars combat physics
* Mary Leia Poppins
* Kylo Ren being shown as complete tool that cannot accomplish anything

And, yeah, RoS was shit as well, and TFA copied ANH. So don't get me started on that one.

It's odd because a lot of your complaints here were parts which I really enjoyed - especially Del Toro hamming it up during space heist, how Luke was portrayed as an embittered old hermit, and of course the tit milk.

tumblr_p5qsdvKQ6Z1uyevwpo3_1280.gif

While I came to really enjoy Force Awakens as time went on, it initially had me leaving theaters dumbfounded as to why everyone was so overjoyed. Force Awakens was so clearly a beat for beat homage to a New Hope that I really sorta felt ripped off leaving the theater. I had a very strong sense of, "But I'd already seen that movie!" Last Jedi was something different. It felt like a film. There were plenty of scenes where the pacing allowed the movie to breathe, we had some really trippy moments with artful cinematography like Rey in the mirror cave, or the throne room fight; and even that now-classic Luke and Yoda bonfire heart to heart.

UnfoldedSomeHorse-size_restricted.gif

tumblr_p91unzgtwn1ublqq1o2_500.gifv

tree.gif

Case in point: Last Jedi may not have been what most people were looking for in a Star Wars movie, and every time I mention how much I enjoyed it, I'm only reminded of that fact. Disney having the balls to allow RIan Johnson be as weird and different with Last Jedi as they did, opposed to the "let's play it safe" cookie cutter approach of Force Awakens and Rise of Skywalker, should be applauded as it only made me love the movie more. Last Jedi felt like a weirdo Criterion Sci Fi art film at times, and I almost forgot I was watching the epitome of a modern major blockbuster during certain scenes. This movie breathes different, as I said. Similar to how much Empire Strikes Back stands out among the original trilogy, as does The Last Jedi.

main-qimg-0305e2fb0b9781c98b5ba828b5ba7f55

I hope history will be kind to Last Jedi when people one day look back on this era of Star Wars, and the movie will be applauded for daring to be different.

Liam Neeson is one of those people that gets a pass because his voice makes you think he's smarter than he actually is, like Morgan Freeman (at least Morgan Freeman admits this)

It's odd because a lot of your complaints here were parts which I really enjoyed - especially Del Toro hamming it up during space heist, how Luke was portrayed as an embittered old hermit, and of course the tit milk.

tumblr_p5qsdvKQ6Z1uyevwpo3_1280.gif

While I came to really enjoy Force Awakens as time went on, it initially had me leaving theaters dumbfounded as to why everyone was so overjoyed. Force Awakens was so clearly a beat for beat homage to a New Hope that I really sorta felt ripped off leaving the theater. I had a very strong sense of, "But I'd already seen that movie!" Last Jedi was something different. It felt like a film. There were plenty of scenes where the pacing allowed the movie to breathe, we had some really trippy moments with artful cinematography like Rey in the mirror cave, or the throne room fight; and even that now-classic Luke and Yoda bonfire heart to heart.

UnfoldedSomeHorse-size_restricted.gif

tumblr_p91unzgtwn1ublqq1o2_500.gifv

tree.gif

Case in point: Last Jedi may not have been what most people were looking for in a Star Wars movie, and every time I mention how much I enjoyed it, I'm only reminded of that fact. Disney having the balls to allow RIan Johnson be as weird and different with Last Jedi as they did, opposed to the "let's play it safe" cookie cutter approach of Force Awakens and Rise of Skywalker, should be applauded as it only made me love the movie more. Last Jedi felt like a weirdo Criterion Sci Fi art film at times, and I almost forgot I was watching the epitome of a modern major blockbuster during certain scenes. This movie breathes different, as I said. Similar to how much Empire Strikes Back stands out among the original trilogy, as does The Last Jedi.

main-qimg-0305e2fb0b9781c98b5ba828b5ba7f55

I hope history will be kind to Last Jedi when people one day look back on this era of Star Wars, and the movie will be applauded for daring to be different.

They won't. It was a pile of shit. Johnson isn't fit to lick the Midiclorian sperm from one of Lucas's used condoms.

Johnson frames himself as a Star Wars "fan"...but just read any interview about Empire Strikes Back. He clearly fucking hates it. I bet in the 80s the hot girl from Prom Night stood him up and he has blamed Lucas ever since.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

They won't. It was a pile of shit. Johnson isn't fit to lick the Midiclorian sperm from one of Lucas's used condoms.

Johnson frames himself as a Star Wars "fan"...but just read any interview about Empire Strikes Back. He clearly fucking hates it. I bet in the 80s the hot girl from Prom Night stood him up and he has blamed Lucas ever since.
This is the dumbest post I've ever read so thank you for this

Top Bottom