• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Liam Nesson expresses regret for his actions in Independent interview

badblue

i imagine he has been crucified by the left already?

Which kinda shows how fucked things are. Society says racists need to stop being racist, but when they do it's not good enough. Nesson acted out of anger, and regrets that he did. And instead of accepting his story of personal growth and learning from it, we are debating if he still is racist.

A momentary lapse in judgment happens to everyone from time to time and if no harm comes from it, it should not be held against them.

there may have been all of 2 black people in his town 50 years ago. The question helped narrow down the culprit. He was looking for one for a week and never saw any. He knows what he did was wrong, and shared a moment of stupidity and weakness.

The outrage from the community on resetera and Twitter makes me laugh. If anything Liam Neeson was brought up with a hatred of white people. He was brought up a Roman Catholic in an all boys school. I’d say he has went out and bashed a few random Protestant lads heads in for the fun on the weekend, because they stole his country and murdered his people. Just like he would fuck up a black man for raping his friend/relative.

Last edited:
im not a hypocrite i mean ive said some racist shit for no reason other than i was kid who said shitty stuff. i still say insane shit when and if its funny. context matters and also if you say shitty stuff you shouldnt be condemned forever

betrayal

Banned
If you change the word "black" with "white" in the interview everybody would be ok with that i guess. So just try do not differentiate events based on gender or race. If it was a black guy, he can say "black". If it was an asian guy, he can say "asian".

When you have a problem with that you should check how tolerant you really are.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
If you change the word "black" with "white" in the interview everybody would be ok with that i guess. So just try do not differentiate events based on gender or race. If it was a black guy, he can say "black". If it was an asian guy, he can say "asian".

When you have a problem with that you should check how tolerant you really are.
It's great you and others continue to claim "oh, but no one would complain if it were about white people", but please show to me what this is based on. His behaviour was wrong and would have been wrong if he targeted white people instead as well. In either case it is good he sees his error and learns from it.

betrayal

Banned
It's great you and others continue to claim "oh, but no one would complain if it were about white people", but please show to me what this is based on. His behaviour was wrong and would have been wrong if he targeted white people instead as well. In either case it is good he sees his error and learns from it.

Are you living under a rock for the past few years? I mean seriously, are you serious? Asking for examples and evidence about cheap propaganda against white people?
There is a clear bias, mostly by leaft leaning people, against white people especially (old) white men in today's media, social networks and even in the politics. Don't play possum here. Use google and you can find and read about examples until your funeral.

I see a lot of people attacking the term “black bastard” as a staunch vindication for labelling him an old racist that cannot be redeemed. His behaviour was wrong but the term he used was a descriptor+insult. This is not a good example to prove someone is a racist as it is literally rule 101 when you are angry at someone with a trait that does not relate to your own. Big nose bastard, ginger bastard, fat bastard, paki bastard etc..

Now when you get to his actions where he wanted to kill some black man for raping his friend or what have you. That was the idiotic part, his primal rage got the better of him. He admits it was wrong. He isn’t asking for forgiveness, or sympathy, or redemption. He just explained a time in his youth where his anger clouded logical thinking. Especially in the environment and era he grew up in, I can see how this happened. He should not be condemned for such honesty. Thankfully no black people where harmed in the making of this anecdote.

Last edited:

Winter John

Gold Member
Sounds like he had some kind of mental breakdown and his actions during that period have haunted him since then. This might have been his partner or a relative who was attacked so his actions are understandable. If we are to be honest most men would do the same thing.

What anti black narrative? The statistics are out there for everybody to see.
Facts are a narrative, and also racist. You have to create evil smirking white teen villains, and white men in Chicago ( MAGA Country) at 2 in the morning hunting for gay black guys to slightly beat up for it to be true. If it's real in your mind, that is all that matters. We must punish this guy that said something stupid trying to relate himself to the character he's playing, and cautioning against the urge for vigilantism.

Last edited:
My thought is this. If the rapist were a white male, Liam wouldn't have to go hunting. He come across a white male very quickly and then what?! We'd have the headline "Liam Neeson murders random white male in crazy revenge attack" No way!!!

Edit: Better quality / source

tenor.gif

It was a pretty dumb thing to say, but I'm not going to hold it against him. I myself would only react that way for my wife, daughter or mom.

He had a racist impulse and later reflected on his behaviour, seeing that it was wrong and why. It is not fair to say he is racist because of a past mistake he acknowledges as one. Glad that no one was hurt in the process.
Except his raped family member/close friend.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It was a pretty dumb thing to say, but I'm not going to hold it against him. I myself would only react that way for my wife, daughter or mom.

Except his raped family member/close friend.
I was talking about his actions. Obviously, we was not the rapist, so he did not hurt the person.

betrayal

Banned
My thought is this. If the rapist were a white male, Liam wouldn't have to go hunting. He come across a white male very quickly and then what?! We'd have the headline "Liam Neeson murders random white male in crazy revenge attack" No way!!!

Why does everything always has to do something with racism, just because someone mentioned an inherit trait of a person, in this case his skin color?
He was mad and the victim told about an attribute of the offender. So of course he had a picture in his head. It is the VERY SAME thing people like you do with white men or Trump and everybody who voted for him. You start to generalize and/or prioritize your emotions over facts. You're just being stupid and let feelings take control of you.

Everybody who thinks this incidence has something to do with racism is either absolutely stupid, a racist himself or just intolerant of logical thinking. In either case it is a tragedy.

Why does everything always has to do something with racism, just because someone mentioned an inherit trait of a person, in this case his skin color?
He was mad and the victim told about an attribute of the offender. So of course he had a picture in his head. It is the VERY SAME thing people like you do with white men or Trump and everybody who voted for him. You start to generalize and/or prioritize your emotions over facts. You're just being stupid and let feelings take control of you.

Everybody who thinks this incidence has something to do with racism is either absolutely stupid, a racist himself or just intolerant of logical thinking. In either case it is a tragedy.

He didn't ask what type of hair style this black male had. Or how tall he was. He wasn't looking for any specifics. Just a "black bastard"
The point is, if the attacker was a white male, what would he have done. Because, he would have across many of those while hunting with his cosh.

betrayal

Banned
He didn't ask what type of hair style this black male had. Or how tall he was. He wasn't looking for any specifics. Just a "black bastard".

I say it again because you seem to ignore it. It is the same with white people or Trump supporters nowadays. You don't need to know them to say things like "white people are trash", "kill all white people", "MAGA is racism" or many other things. It is indeed emotions over facts. Huge parts of our today's policy is based on this principle and you are actively supporting it.

The point is, if the attacker was a white male, what would he have done. Because, he would have across many of those while hunting with his cosh.

Again, maybe try to regain some kind of common sense? I know it seems totally racist for you if i say this, but blacks are a minority and at the same time blacks are vastly overrepresented in the crime and sexual assault statistics compared to their total number of the population of the US. Maybe, but only maybe, this could be one of the reasons for the things Neesons said and did. Not that it is okay or i support such behavior, because it is not, but if you are able to leave racism out of this formula, then you maybe see why people behave in specific ways. It really is a game of numbers and statistics. To oppose this, or better said to put this into context, which is very hard for many people, you need common sense. Unfortunately neither Neeson nor you were or are capable of doing this. At least you can say that for Neeson it was just a week in his past. People like you act that way for several years now and it probably won't change any time soon.

TL;DR: People like you are not able to comprehend incidients like that. Just like Neeson did, you constantly prefer feelings over facts. That's why people like you always scream "RACISM" at every little shit that happens. Grow up, educate yourself and stop making life bad for people of all colors.

Last edited:
Kind of interesting to me that he only speaks to his actions but not the idea that he believed black people were so "other" that he would go try and kill any that he could find.

His actions were bad, but he should be talking much more about the mindset that any humans skin colour would make them any more or less worthy of being murdered because you're upset.

He was definitely a product of his era at the time. I think if was ultimately a good thing and very honest of him to reveal this. A learning moment to reflect on.

He’s from Ireland, right?

Edit: Northern Ireland, as I have been corrected. I stand by my original statement. I don’t think he’s racist. I don’t think he was looking for a black man because of “black man,” I think he was looking for whoever fit whatever description he was given in a fit of vengeful idiotic rage. The way he acted then was dangerous and illogical, and he admits as much. The way he worded his thought process sounds bad, and was not very appropriate, but I still don’t believe the hatred in his heart at the time was for a black man, but just for whoever happened to fit the description of the attacker.

I remember people talking about Conor McGregor when he called Mayweather “boy” during a press conference or something like that, and people pointed out that in Ireland it’s like 96 percent white population (I could be off, just what I vaguely remember reading).

I don’t think these guys grew up or are typically around the same type of racial tension as other countries, like America.

I’m not just totally excusing anything, these comments were not wise, but I don’t think Neeson harbors true bigotry in his heart. I think he just chose a terrible time to terribly word his inner reflection of a painful incident.

Story definitely has picked up, we will see if it has steam. I still think a sincere PR release explaining his true feeling and motivation will be enough for damage control.

It didn’t matter what the guy looked like. If the answer to the question has been “bald fat guy” he would have gone looking for “bald fat bastards” to beat up.

Hopefully he wouldn’t have found me. I’ve seen Taken

giphy.gif

Last edited:
I still think a sincere PR release explaining his true feeling and motivation will be enough for damage control.
He shouldve done it from the beginning.

It should have been part of the interview he gave.

Casually recalling that time you let your anger be an excuse for planning to commit a race fuelled murder without also going into details about HOW and WHY you believe you actions and discrimination were unacceptable sn't a thing you can do without expecting some backlash.

I mean he does start to muse and reflect at the end, but it's only about revenge and how humans like to see violence........nothing about the horrible racism that he would have been harbouring to allow him to decide that a black person needs to die because he's upset.

Edit:
Today I learned: Having 70% white population instead of 72% white population is by definition the same thing as purposeful killing, extermination and destruction of white people. Apparently.

Last edited:

TheWatcher

Banned
It’s bait, the tactic here is throw out white genocide trash, claim an epidemic, blame it on non whites and then hide behind incited statistics, and never go into detail to avoid exposure. Guerilla style in essence,

Ah yes the old 'white genocide is trash argument', except it is a fact that white people are becoming minorities in their own countries. This is the very definition of 'genocide', but people like you are actively cheering this on because of some percieved historical slight.

He’s from Ireland, right?

I remember people talking about Conor McGregor when he called Mayweather “boy” during a press conference or something like that, and people pointed out that in Ireland it’s like 96 percent white population (I could be off, just what I vaguely remember reading).

I don’t think these guys grew up or are typically around the same type of racial tension as other countries, like America.

I’m not just totally excusing anything, these comments were not wise, but I don’t think Neeson harbors true bigotry in his heart. I think he just chose a terrible time to terribly word his inner reflection of a painful incident.

Story definitely has picked up, we will see if it has steam. I still think a sincere PR release explaining his true feeling and motivation will be enough for damage control.

It didn’t matter what the guy looked like. If the answer to the question has been “bald fat guy” he would have gone looking for “bald fat bastards” to beat up.

Hopefully he wouldn’t have found me. I’ve seen Taken

giphy.gif
No he is not, he is from Northern Ireland. Different country.

Ah yes the old 'white genocide is trash argument', except it is a fact that white people are becoming minorities in their own countries. This is the very definition of 'genocide', but people like you are actively cheering this on because of some percieved historical slight.

Who is cheering what on? I’m confused

Edited to Northern Ireland, as I have been corrected.

I stand by my original statement. I don’t think he’s racist. I don’t think he was looking for a black man because of “black man,” I think he was looking for whoever fit whatever description he was given in a fit of vengeful idiotic rage. The way he acted then was dangerous and illogical, and he admits as much.

The way he worded his thought process sounds bad, and was not very appropriate, but I still don’t believe the hatred in his heart at the time was for a black man, but just for whoever happened to fit the description of the attacker.

Real racism is vile and very dangerous. I feel it’s important to label things accurately, as to not dilute the power and importance behind defining true racism.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

White people in America are dwindling in number because fewer and fewer are having more than one child, if they have a child at all.

That's not genocide. You're unhinged, kid.

Liamario

Banned
Nice to see a balanced and reasonable discussion here. Something that can't be found elsewhere. I don't think anyone is defending what he did, but the fact that he came out and said it surely indicates that he's remorseful. Black people in Ireland 50 years ago were a rare sight, so to say that he's going to kill the next black person he saw, there were good odds it was the person in question. Let's also not forget that society was a different thing 50 years ago.

TheWatcher

Banned
White people in America are dwindling in number because fewer and fewer are having more than one child, if they have a child at all.

That's not genocide. You're unhinged, kid.

I am sure it has nothing to do with the blatantly anti white propaganda encouraging that.

Breakage

This wouldn't blow up as much as it has if a "person of colour" had made similar comments about wanting to kill a white person in response to a crime committed by someone who happened to be white. The lefties (particularly the white ones) would be out apologising for them.

I am reminded of the revolting comments recently made by "Azealia Banks" in regard to Irish people. I remember seeing this piece on The Guardian (the house journal of the British intelligentsia) defending her bullshit:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/jan/24/azealia-banks-misunderstood-talent-or-tedious-troll

The word "racist" is only used once in that article, and it refers to the "angry black woman stereotype" -- not to the comments she made about Irish people.
She is either a "fearless truthteller" or a "relentless troll", but she isn't a racist according to the author.
Would a similarly sympathetic article be written if "Azealia" were white and making comments about the appearance of black people and mocking slavery?
It wouldn't happen.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

Do you know what the suffix -cide actually means? Where are you pulling your "very definition"s from?

I am not cheering it on, you just made that up. What you call white genocide, is simply a case of the world become more globalised and diversified and people move around the world, immigrating.

Why are you so threatened by this?

Actual genocide is a very different matter altogether, it’s the specific targeted killing or massacre of an ethnic group. The prime example genocide would the holocaust, the attempted ethnic cleansing of Jewish people committed by Nazi Germany.

This definition here is from the Oxford Dictionary’s US website, their definition of genocide.

The deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular ethnic group or nation.

Link included for citation: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/genocide

Last edited:
This wouldn't blow up as much as it has if a "person of colour" had made similar comments about wanting to kill a white person in response to a crime committed by someone who happened to be white. The lefties (particularly the white ones) would be out apologising for them.

I am reminded of the revolting comments recently made by "Azealia Banks" in regard to Irish people. I remember seeing this piece on The Guardian (the house journal of the British intelligentsia) defending her bullshit:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/jan/24/azealia-banks-misunderstood-talent-or-tedious-troll

The word "racist" is only used once in that article, and it refers to the "angry black woman stereotype" -- not to the comments she made about Irish people.
She is either a "fearless truthteller" or a "relentless troll", but she isn't a racist according to the author.
Would a similarly sympathetic article be written if "Azealia" were white and making comments about the appearance of black people and mocking slavery?
It wouldn't happen.

Semi famous white man tweets “African women are fucking ugly!” I can hear the screams already.

Last edited:

Breakage

None racist people can

Semi famous white man tweets “African women are fucking ugly!” I can hear the screams already.

Yeah, it is different when a white person says something (I say this as someone who isn't white). If you look at the other comments made by Banks about the Irish, they are utterly disgusting. Here are a few (from the IrishTimes.com) :

“You lot are a bunch of prideful inbred leprechauns... The rest of the world’s white folk don’t want to associate with you lot at all and it’s because you are barbarians.”
“Don’t you have a famine to go die in?”
“I’m happiest knowing the Irish are quarantined on an isle so they can continue to inbreed and keep their defective genes away from humanity.”
“Fucking ugly Irish women.”

If a semi-famous white person made similar comments about, for example, Nigerians or Somalis, the reaction would be different. Their career would be over, and there certainly wouldn't be a Guardian contributor defending them.

Last edited:
I say it again because you seem to ignore it. It is the same with white people or Trump supporters nowadays. You don't need to know them to say things like "white people are trash", "kill all white people", "MAGA is racism" or many other things. It is indeed emotions over facts. Huge parts of our today's policy is based on this principle and you are actively supporting it.

Again, maybe try to regain some kind of common sense? I know it seems totally racist for you if i say this, but blacks are a minority and at the same time blacks are vastly overrepresented in the crime and sexual assault statistics compared to their total number of the population of the US. Maybe, but only maybe, this could be one of the reasons for the things Neesons said and did. Not that it is okay or i support such behavior, because it is not, but if you are able to leave racism out of this formula, then you maybe see why people behave in specific ways. It really is a game of numbers and statistics. To oppose this, or better said to put this into context, which is very hard for many people, you need common sense. Unfortunately neither Neeson nor you were or are capable of doing this. At least you can say that for Neeson it was just a week in his past. People like you act that way for several years now and it probably won't change any time soon.

TL;DR: People like you are not able to comprehend incidients like that. Just like Neeson did, you constantly prefer feelings over facts. That's why people like you always scream "RACISM" at every little shit that happens. Grow up, educate yourself and stop making life bad for people of all colors.

For one I am not screaming racism. What I am saying is Liam didn't have to use the term "black bastard". Nor did he have to go hunting for a black man like some KKK in the hope of committing murder of the racial kind.

I understand his anger/rage; however this doesn't justify his actions.
Also how can you leave race out of this, when he wanted to go a kill any black man he came across.

And I don't scream racism and every little shit that happens, but if you've been a victim of a race crime you'd be able to see why this has caused anger.

Please note. I hope the rapist has been caught and sentenced for a long time.

cryptoadam

Banned
Mistake by Liam to talk about this. Maybe at a different time this would be a great story of learning and reflection. Where people could learn violence begets violence, and racism is wrong. And that people can change and can over come their prejudices. Many of us maybe have been in situation where we saw red, and just wanted to attack someone anyone. Its wrong and Liam learned from this. I beleive thats why he shared this story.

But thats not today, thats not this era. He just signed his careers death warrant. Should of kept his mouth shut, tried to go woke, now going to go broke.

Mistake by Liam to talk about this. Maybe at a different time this would be a great story of learning and reflection. Where people could learn violence begets violence, and racism is wrong. And that people can change and can over come their prejudices. Many of us maybe have been in situation where we saw red, and just wanted to attack someone anyone. Its wrong and Liam learned from this. I beleive thats why he shared this story.

But thats not today, thats not this era. He just signed his careers death warrant. Should of kept his mouth shut, tried to go woke, now going to go broke.

Is talking about trying to find a “black bastard” to attack while in a fit of irrational rage really “going woke?”

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Is talking about trying to find a “black bastard” to attack while in a fit of irrational rage really “going woke?”

The going woke part was trying to confess his sins to the world. He was coming from a good place but unfortunatly it backfired on him and now the mobs are out to get him.

Reminds me of the Virginia governor. If he didn't say that shit on that talk show no one would of found out about his coonman KKK days. Now his career is destroyed.

Though a good cautionary tale about racisim and violence, Liam is going to end up paying the price for his honesty.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Despite what Gilette and other virtual signalling anti white networks tell us, there is an epidemic of black on white rape in the United States. This is backed up by FBI statistics. I understand his rage.

5ddwkPj.jpg

What anti black narrative? The statistics are out there for everybody to see.
Good thing you linked to them. Oh wait... what you are doing is a topic hijack to bring the topic to racial discussions. In a topic about Liam Neeson.

I am not surprised TheGreatYosh TheGreatYosh loved your posts. Its like having a subscription to Drive-By Magazine with unnuanced and unelaborated word lingo and hoping it makes sense.

Spoiler, IRL you need to back up what you claim, but its far easier parroting buzzwords than appearing knowledgeable, apparently.

You have to think of it back in the 1970s (when this apparently happened).

Ireland were having "the troubles" movement, which was Religiously charged with Violence, and was an Era when Carribean/Africans started to emigrate to the UK and Ireland.

Racism in the 1970s was rife, but not as bad as the US.

From what I think; Liam Neeson assumed that it was a Black Person because an influx of immigrants is an easy target (and in this case, his notions were correct), and because of the Violent Charges of Northern Ireland at the time, he did want revenge for his friend.

I think he has admitted this now, is so that those who look for ammo to target him can't hurt him that badly compared to if he didn't enclose this (since people will find it anyway).

As he mentioned, he does look back at this as a regret and probably thinks that he acted the way he did due to the prejudices of the UK and Northern Ireland at the time against Catholics/Protestants and Immigrants.

As someone of mixed race, I have been told of the prejudices my family experienced in the 1960s/70s/80s where it was sadly more acceptable than it is now.

Yes, I do think that Liam Neeson is an idiot for even doing this, but I can understand why he did act that way back in the 1970s and I doubt he would do that in this day and age and would likely report the rape to the police with his friend, which would mean describing the race of the man whether he is from Africa/Middle East/Carribean what-have-you.

That's my thought on the matter.

Shit just got real.

Iam glad `that Neeson did not actually any black people and realises this way if thinking was wrong, but this confession has killed his career.

This will be the first of many, many consequences kicking in.

It’s definitely already gotten bigger than I expected. As far as career killer, I’m not ready to go that far yet.

Damage control needs to be kicking in, if it hasn’t already

It’s definitely already gotten bigger than I expected. As far as career killer, I’m not ready to go that far yet.

Damage control needs to be kicking in, if it hasn’t already

Indeed, but there is really no good option here for him and legal/PR team. Only thing they can do is damage control at this time.

Very few studios willing be to take the heat that comes with working with him.

Papa

Banned
Shit just got real.

I am glad that Neeson did not actually any black people and realises this way of thinking was wrong. Sufficed to say that this confession has killed his career.

This will be the first of many, many consequences kicking in.

Are you actually celebrating the response to what he said? Did you actually listen to the interview?

Top Bottom