• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Liam Robertson (of Unseen64 fame): "NX is not aiming to compete on a power level"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im ok with this

If Nintendo systems are only going to be for Nintendo software then at least make it cheap and easy

I wouldn't be. No one should be. Wii U with a gamepad is already 200€ with SSB. I don't want NX to be something that my Wii U could be with a major firmware update.

LCGeek

formerly sane
There was no market for Resident Evil on Nintendo systems until the best game in the series became a timed exclusive.

It had RE2 which did decently considering how late of port it was. Capcom upped their game on RE4 but sabotaged the sales delaying a christmas release and then telling everyone with a clue a PS2 version was coming.

Some 3rd parties screwed themselves with nintendo very few got the nasty end of nintendo like namco, idsoftware and a few others.

If we are going to fry nintendo lets get history right which from nes to gc is another level of fucked up the more we learn about either side.

If the home console is 2017, they could bring out a strong machine which is more powerful than PS4, in an attempt to be first of the next gen in a way

NX won't be competing with PS4 and Xboxone, of that I can assure you.

They will be trying to compete with the world of entertainment in some way.

Lexad

I know graphics aren't everything, but there is a lot of additional gameplay elements that can come out of a beefier machine. I used to be solely nintendo back in the day, but had to move on to Microsoft, then later Sony because a lot of the third party games I was missing out on. Granted I am loving my 3DS right now, but I am talking from a console perspective

Very disappointing to see Nintendo be this stubborn, but I have worked with the Japanese before in negotiations and once they get into a mindset, it is very difficult to change that.

Banned
Who would buy a new Nintendo console at all having already purchased the PS4? Clearly there's one side of this argument claiming "Yes, PS4 owners would absolutely buy a secondary, $200 Nintendo box that plays a bunch of first party Nintendo games!", while the other says "Why the fuck would a PS4 owner be interested in buying a Nintendo console at all, no matter how cheap it is?". Again, it's not like PS2 owners bought a $99 Gamecube just to play Wind Waker and Melee just because it was cheap.

Obviously the theoretical $399, powerful Nintendo box would go after people who haven't purchased a next gen console yet. Looking at last gen sales figures, even ignoring the Wii, there's a ton of room there to get a sizable piece of the pie. And while jumping in during the middle of the gen is far from ideal for Nintendo, that's their fucking problem for fucking up so bad with the Wii U. Try your best to fix shit with NX, get the message out there to consumers that Nintendo knows what they are doing, and at worst, it's a stepping stone towards their next console, which can launch closer to PS5/Xbtwo. Again, a $399 box can be both powerful and profitable day one, which would put them in a FAR better position than the Wii U.

I think people have a hard time understanding this: Nintendo games aren't the shit anymore. They are big games, but not the biggest games at this point. When I think of big console games, I think of GTA, COD, FIFA, Madden, NBA 2K, Minecraft, Skyrim, Ass Creed... all of these games are absent on Nintendo consoles. If you release a new console that doesn't have any of these massively popular games, how much success can you realistically expect? Nintendo doesn't even have their own first party FPS, open world sandbox or sports titles, which are basically the three most popular genres in console gaming right now. How can a console that just cranks out all of the old favourites, your Marios, your Zeldas, your Karts and Smash Bros., possibly reverse the downward trajectory of Nintendo console sales that started with the SNES? While I can't imagine a scenario where they don't outsell the Wii U with NX, I also couldn't have imagined in a million years a scenario where they didn't outsell the Gamecube, yet here we are.

Exactly. While they've put out good games this generation on Wii U... they were lacking ambitions. Ambitions to top or even be better than their predecessors. Smaller production values, playing safe on a lot of matters... I think that Nintendo needs to impress people again. And they don't even need a powerful hardware for this. Games such as Kid Icarus Uprising, Xenoblade X or even the next Zelda are the kind of games people want.

As for the last part, it would be possible I think, with a shared library. Because it would come down to people's preferences on form factor. Although, for the games you cited... Nintendo don't need them. Why ? Because the audience for these games are elsewhere. I'm a Nintendo fan myself... but why would I buy these series on a Nintendo console ? What is the incentive ? None. I could play them on PC. I could play them on cheaper platforms or more powerful platforms.
Thank you. This is what I've been trying to say.

I'm wholly unconvinced that NX is a "good" idea or that it will succeed; I think the most likely outcome is that it fails and leads to Nintendo's exit from the hardware business.

That said, I see nothing other than wishful thinking to support the notion that the Nintendo Corebox is a better idea.

Anth0ny

Im ok with this

If Nintendo systems are only going to be for Nintendo software then at least make it cheap and easy

I'm okay with it too. About 20 million people agree with us, as evidenced by the $99 Gamecube that had some of the greatest Nintendo games of all time on there.

The more interesting question is... is Nintendo okay with that? Actually, I know the answer:

Satoru Iwata said, "I do not intend to declare how many Wii we will be selling today, but Wii will be a failure if it cannot sell far more than GameCube did. In fact, we shouldn't continue this business if our only target is to outsell GameCube. Naturally, we are making efforts so that Wii will show a far greater result than GameCube."

Good luck outselling the Gamecube with a first party focused box. Doesn't matter how cheap it is or how many great Nintendo games are on there. And considering the current handheld market, they won't have a super successful handheld to prop up their business like they did with the GBA during the GC years.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
An over clocked Wii U without a gamepad sold for $199 like the NX seems to be.

Dropping IBM PowerPC arch means it's not even fucking remotely the same as the current Wii U.

I don't expect people like you to understand this though. It's like pulling teeth in this thread.

Snakeyes

Exactly. I think Nintendo is smart to go along these lines. If you make it cheap enough and it has enough good, distinct games you can't get some where else, it will eventually be appealing to buy just for those games alongside your third party machine. It just has to be reasonably cheap and not priced so close to the machines that can get the third party games (as well as their own exclusives). Basically so people don't look at the price and go, "but for 50 more I can get an xbox one/PS4 that has exclusives and third parties".

But Nintendo already made a box like that - it was called the Gamecube. It dropped to $99 less than two years after its launch. It even had a more primitive take on the shared library concept we've been speculating about lately with the Gameboy Player. For $149, you literally had access to Nintendo's entire Gen 6 catalog. It still barely cleared the 20 million mark.

There's no such thing as a "secondary console" for the vast majority of consumers, just like there isn't a "secondary smartphone", "secondary tablet", "secondary laptop", etc, unless your job demands it. Most people buy one device in each space and stick with it until something better comes along, and this is even more true today with a myriad of devices and entertainment options vying for consumer attention.

But Nintendo already made a box like that - it was called the Gamecube. It dropped to $99 less than two years after its launch. It even had a more primitive take on the shared library concept we've been speculating about lately with the Gameboy Player. For $149, you literally had access to Nintendo's entire Gen 6 catalog. It still barely cleared the 20 million mark.

There's no such thing as a "secondary console" for the vast majority of consumers, just like there isn't a "secondary smartphone", "secondary tablet", "secondary laptop", etc, unless your job demands it. Most people buy one device in each space and stick with it until something better comes along, and this is even more true today with a myriad of devices and entertainment options vying for consumer attention.

Good point, still believe that a certain level of power is needed to attract graphic whores like me.

Banned
Dropping IBM PowerPC arch means it's not even fucking remotely the same as the current Wii U.

I don't expect people like you to understand this though. It's like pulling teeth in this thread.
Nobody said they're dropping PowerPC and the over clocked comment was a humorous way of saying it'll be a new device and architecture but not much of an upgrade performance wise from a Wii U.

Also, I'd like to ask about the GAF notebook, please.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
  1. Nintendo releases a cheap Nintendo Box (that's basically an overclocked Wii U) alongside a portable that's not too far behind in power.

1. 1. Why on earth would you think this would succeed when the WiiU was a complete flop.
    2. What would be the benefit to existing WiiU owners. Basically playing the same games at 1080p rather then 720p? Hardly a huge draw?
    3. Splitting the existing Nintendo console space.

It would be a disaster. Why do you think it would succeed?

balgajo

I'm okay with it too. About 20 million people agree with us, as evidenced by the $99 Gamecube that had some of the greatest Nintendo games of all time on there.

The more interesting question is... is Nintendo okay with that? Actually, I know the answer:

Good luck outselling the Gamecube with a first party focused box. Doesn't matter how cheap it is or how many great Nintendo games are on there. And considering the current handheld market, they won't have a super successful handheld to prop up their business like they did with the GBA during the GC years.

GameCube didn't have an outdated hardware and some third parties were there. Basically it's better for NX to have some wii level innovation. If not they can be dealing with a disaster worst than WiiU and a huge contraction on west in the handheld market.

sörine

Banned
An over clocked Wii U without a gamepad sold for $199 like the NX seems to be.
I mean, it's obviously not happening but for fun if it were like previous architecture recyclings that Nintendo's done:

Game Boy Color increase
CPU: 2.5 GHz Tri-core PPC
GPU: 1 GHz AMD Radeon
RAM: 8 GB DDR3

Wii increase
CPU: 1.9 GHz Tri-core PPC
GPU: 825 MHz AMD Radeon
RAM: 4GB GDDR3

Nintendo DSi increase
GPU: 550 MHz AMD Radeon
RAM: 8GB DDR3

New Nintendo 3DS (alleged) increase
CPU: 1.25 GHz Six-core PPC
RAM: 4GB DDR3

sörine;170976962 said:
I mean, it's obviously not happening but for fun if it were like previous architecture recyclings that Nintendo's done:

Game Boy Color increase
GPU: 1 GHz AMD Radeon
RAM: 8 GB DDR3

Wii increase
CPU: 1.9 GHz Tri-core PPC
GPU: 825 MHz AMD Radeon
RAM: 4GB GDDR3

Nintendo DSi increase
RAM: 8GB DDR3

New Nintendo 3DS (alleged) increase
CPU: 1.25 GHz Six-core PPC
RAM: 4GB DDR3

What is this nonsense?

Neoxon

1. Why on earth would you think this would succeed when the WiiU was a complete flop.
2. What would be the benefit to existing WiiU owners. Basically playing the same games at 1080p rather then 720p? Hardly a huge draw?
3. Splitting the existing Nintendo console space.

It would be a disaster. Why do you think it would succeed?
The Wii U failed because the GamePad drove up the price. Had the GamePad not been a vital part of the system &/or was cheaper to produce, Nintendo could have made the Wii U that impulse buy. And how would it divide the console space? If anything, the unified architecture would bring the Nintendo userbase together (sans probably Pokémon). Trying to make a "me-too" powerful system wouldn't benefit them much as people either already own one or are planning on getting one of the exiting ones to join their friends on PSN or XBL. At least with the cheap Nintendo Box, Nintendo can carve out a niche as a secondary system that's an impulse buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom