• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Liam Robertson (of Unseen64 fame): "NX is not aiming to compete on a power level"

Status
Not open for further replies.
NOTE: The quote in the title is redacted because character limit.

kBCvkzh.png

https://twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/617098268674273281

For those who doesn't know - this guy had reported about PS4 Uncharted collection, Fallout 4 Pip-boy collector's edition etc. before they were announced. He also has information about PS4/XBO port of ZombiU which is not yet confirmed but there was "Zombi" for Xbox One by Ubisoft in one of rating agency lists recently. So this guy seems to really have some inside information.

EDIT:

04kSzbM.png

So here's something that the OP doesn't have, regarding whether it's a console or a handheld:

https://twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/617110715414016004

So he immediately dodged what kind of hardware it was, because he doesn't know. And since we already knew this was a multi-form factor project... there's now a possibility that itsfuckingnothing.gif.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I expected this. I'm thinking 'Android console'-level device. Cheap and easy to develop for.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I'm SHOCKED.

z0m3le

Banned
yeah, pretty much what i heard as well. Good choice to be honest. Does anyone actually think it could compete with PS4 even if it was more powerful? especially with the games Nintendo makes? it would be PS2 vs Gamecube all over again.

This generation has proven that Nintendo can't support 2 platforms with their partners, but a single platform with multiple devices? that is the direction they need to go IMO.

If anybody is surprised by this, I feel bad for them.

Well you still hold out hope that Nintendo might actually make a moderately powerful console that can hang with its competitors. Glad that i can get that crazy thought out of my head, it probably launches with Federation Force 2.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Anybody who has listened to what Iwata has said about their future hardware, knew this already.

Their next machine will be about enticing mobile and indie developers while unifying Nintendo's handheld/console libraries. An affordable machine with a bigger selection of Nintendo games and a focus on eShop-scale third party titles.

Bl@de

Of course it wont't compete with them ... It will destroy them by having 3x more power!

ok sry :(

Madness

I expected this. I'm thinking Android console level device. Cheap and easy to develop for.

The Ouya did so well, I can see why Nintendo wants to emulate that... Just sad, once again a Nintendo console that won't compete with its main competitors. Think about this when you think of future games like the next Red Dead Redemption, Grand Theft Auto 6, Destiny 2 that, almost assuredly if it cannot compete with Xbox One or PS4 in terms of hardware specs, the NX won't get these games.

What is purpose of NX then? To capitalize on the F2p, mobile industry, make cheap games that have huge profit margins utilizing it's established brands?

Hey, it's the guy that made people pay to hear about E3 leaks we already knew about.

Nope, E3 leaks were his own personal research, and he just shared them through Twitter. The Unseen64 archive, though, has paid access, but it contains information about unreleased games (Kid Icarus Wii, Project HAMMER etc.), and this information still goes public after some time.

Delio

Anybody who has listened to what Iwata has said about their future hardware, knew this already.

Their next machine will be about enticing mobile and indie developers while unifying Nintendo's handheld/console libraries. An affordable machine with a bigger selection of Nintendo games and a focus on eShop-scale third party titles.

Yeah this is what I expect and already geared myself for. Anyone getting mad over this really set themselves up for it.

Pandy

Well, it's probably a handheld, so I don't know why anyone would expect it compete with the PS4 on a power level.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Just sad, once again a Nintendo console that won't compete with its main competitors. Think about this when you think of future games like the next Red Dead Redemption, Grand Theft Auto 6, Destiny 2 that, almost assuredly if it cannot compete with Xbox One or PS4 in terms of hardware specs, the NX won't get these games.

Like with the Wii and Wii U, Nintendo likely does not see Xbox/PlayStation as their "main competitors" in that specific market and (unless they're insane, which they might be) accept they probably won't get these games.

Whether or not this direction works remains to be seen. Whether or not it's a smart mindset, or even true, is another debate entirely. But folk really need to suck it up and accept that the video game market isn't one dimensional. Nintendo most likely have no intention of competing with Microsoft and Sony any more than Apple and Samsung do with their mobile and tablet devices.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Here's the question... will it even be as powerful as Wii U?

A high-quality dedicated portable that's able to play mobile stuff as well as high-quality "not-too-far-off-from-WiiU" caliber first-party high budget games is all I need from Nintendo.

Liamc723

Nope, E3 leaks were his own personal research, and he just shared them through Twitter. The Unseen64 archive, though, has paid access, but it contains information about unreleased games (Kid Icarus Wii, Project HAMMER etc.), and this information still goes public after some time.

No, he had a podcast that people paid to listen to, and the leaks he had were things that had already been leaked. He did not share them through Twitter, people were made to pay.

Pass me my smelling salts before i faint from surprise.

The Ouya did so well, I can see why Nintendo wants to emulate that... Just sad, once again a Nintendo console that won't compete with its main competitors. Think about this when you think of future games like the next Red Dead Redemption, Grand Theft Auto 6, Destiny 2 that, almost assuredly if it cannot compete with Xbox One or PS4 in terms of hardware specs, the NX won't get these games.

What is purpose of NX then? To capitalize on the F2p, mobile industry, make cheap games that have huge profit margins utilizing it's established brands?

What planet do you come from that you even entertained the possibility they would do anything different?

I didn't want to get dogpiled on in the other thread where people are hoping for HBM, but I semi-expect Nintendo to be targeting a $100-150 price point.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Strangely, he doesn't specify it's a home or a handheld. Just that it won't compete with PS4. Well, if it's a handheld, of course XD

Mononoke

Banned

The purpose of the NX, like all Nintendo hardware, is an entry to Nintendo software. Pretty sure at this point, most consumers aren't buying a Nintendo console because it doesn't have all the other 3rd party titles the other platforms have.

People want Nintendo content, and at best don't want the the hassle of having to own a console just for that (which price factors into this). The problem with Nintendo is that consumers want Nintendo software, and not really their hardware.

I never understood those arguing there was a consumer out there that wanted the NX to be their PS4 w/ Nintendo content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom