• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Liam Robertson: Skylanders franchise possibly cancelled due to large decline

killroy87

That's a shame, the series put out consistently solid games. Toys to life was a fad, so it's a shame that the franchise needs to die with the genre, instead of finding a way to continue on. I really, really enjoy the gameplay, and it's one of few quality couch co-op games of that genre.

Not sure how one means the other.
Skylanders existed as a side project Toys for Bob made, while trying to make a good Spyro game.

So either Toys for Bob will retain Spyro and make a reboot of it, remake or move onto something else.

Part of the other Skylanders team (Vicarious Visions) is working on the Crash remake after all. Though if 2017 was their Skylanders game, maybe they will be moved onto something else.

Or maybe they'll just use Spyro as a Skylander brand.

Toys For Bob would make an excellent Spyro team as Vicarious was/is for Crash now. Even when news first came out about a TFB-developed Spyro game for 2011 popped-up, I was into the idea.

Really, get them to get their feet wet with a remake of the original trilogy, then a proper Spyro 4.

mreddie

T2L Bubble has burst, and everyone is at fault, people found a new thing and it just got too expensive.

I'm nervous for Lego.

ZarKryn7

I think Crash's cameo in the game killed the franchise.

tumblr_mpy5hz5Gra1rkiirto1_500.gif

Terrible joke.

Nintendo should work with Toys for Bob (and Vicarious if the Crash Remasters aren't taking that many resources from them) to make a Skylanders-esque game for amiibo on the Switch.

Really, get them to get their feet wet with a remake of the original trilogy, then a proper Spyro 4.

Or that

I wonder if there are any manufacturing reasons as to why they had to keep cranking out the toys?
Seems more that they want a wide range of figures for people (as in, children to want and parents to buy) to have access to and the game requires/prods you into having ALL of the figures for collecting and accessing certain areas.

I think a while back we worked out a single Skylander figure probably cost around $2-$3 to make so the potential profit to me made on a wide range of figures (and other products) helped to turn it into a franchise.

Banned
It's finally dying down. A shame. Lego is the last one standing but also the last to come to the market so it could also start suffering in a few years.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Yeah, this is very much the Guitar Hero path.
First three were successful, fourth was a major genre shift, fifth and sixth bomb in sales.
Though Skylanders didn't have a bunch of spin-offs between the major annual releases.

Lego might hold on a bit more thanks to collectors wanting new mini-figs for franchises that haven't had previously released sets. Plus, it's still young.

But overall, Toys-to-Life is a fad and it's showing hard.

Karak

That's a shame, the series put out consistently solid games. Toys to life was a fad, so it's a shame that the franchise needs to die with the genre, instead of finding a way to continue on. I really, really enjoy the gameplay, and it's one of few quality couch co-op games of that genre.
Same here. I can't explain the surprise I had finding out just how much I adored the gameplay over the series. Its been a highlight actually for me.

Savitar

Everything has a shelf life and they milked this one for all it was worth while they could.

Time for the next gimmick to hit up.

EctoPrime

Switching from toys in bulky packaging to interactive trading cards might be the only way to sustain these toys to life games. Eight cards in a pack with one guaranteed to unlock something ingame for $5 could sell.

Yukinari

Glad that Skylanders survived long enough to give Crash his glorious return in the form of going back to his classic design and giving him a remaster of the trilogy.

Ridley327

The Imaginators figures have been choking on our pegs and shelves since the game came out. The whole "create your own Skylander" gimmick the game has wasn't strong enough to overcome that the visibility of all the new figures they released, making it look like nothing had really changed, outside of the big price increase on the new individual figures. I don't know what the hell Activision was thinking.

TheYanger

Switching from toys in bulky packaging to interactive trading cards might be the only way to sustain these toys to life games. Eight cards in a pack with one guaranteed to unlock something ingame for $5 could sell.

At that point they kind of stop being toys to life.

Krejlooc

Banned
Tony Hawk, Guitar Hero, Skylanders... can't wait to see which new money making idea Activision comes up with that people will love until they drive it into the ground 4 years and dozens of sequels later.

Stage On

I think the main problem was they expanded the amount of figures you needed to get too much.

The first game Sypro's adventure only had 32 Skylanders and they had three packs available that made actually getting them more manageable.

The second game Giants only had 16 totally new figures half of which where large sized. Having less figures to focus on kept it affordable even if the Giants themselfs where more expensive due to being bigger.

The third game Swap force had 32 new figures, Half of which where large sized. This made it way more expensive.

The forth game Trap masters is where it really started coming to a head. It had 52 figures! 18 normal size, 18 large size and 16 mini size. Not to mention the actual traps themselves and needing a special trap just for the final boss. This boosted costs enormously. This is also where I jumped ship because they screwed Canada over by not releasing the last few minis here.

The fifth game Superchargers had 20 figures and 20 vehicles. So less total then Trap masters but the problem being that they had no basic core size characters anymore. Superchargers where the same price as the large sized figures from the past and the vehicles where even more expensive. Plus you couldn't really ignore the repose figures anymore since you basically needed them to get the full use of their respective personal ride.

The six game Imaginations has 31 figures. Too bad they are all super sized making them more expensive then ever. Plus they have the creation crystals which are more expensive then the traps ever where and more limited to since you have to pick from 1 of 10 classes when making a character and then that crystal is forever locked to that class.

So basically the continued escalation of how much it cost to get a full set killed the series.

plufim

Imaginators really tripled down on extra bullshit - I imagine that was a turnoff. Skylanders, senseis, imaginator crystals AND blind bag power discs? Come on Activision. That's just greedy. All other skylanders games had at most 2 extra things on top of regular skylanders (excluding extra stages), generally 1.

Edit: lol, what he said above.

Rymuth

New Soul Calibur pachislot, new MvC and Skylanders cancelled and all before im properly woken up.

People give me time to process all of this.

rhandino

Banned
People think that no more Skylanders means that Activision is going to make "real" successors to Spyro and Crash or that they are going to sell the brands?

XS4vt7A.gif

Ra1den

I'll confess to not knowing what skylanders is to this very day, though I've always wondered why Spyro seems to be a part of it.

Give us real Spyro game plz.

I think Crash's cameo in the game killed the franchise.

The Crash+Cortex solo pack instantly became a best seller on Amazon at release, but please keep trying.
I realize this was a joke.

To be honest, Skylanders the BRAND I don't think is dead. Skylanders the Toys to Life game is dead. Skylanders the series can continue any way Activision wants it to. Just stop creating *new* toys. New characters are fine, etc. It can still be their flagship children's property.

Mask

Part of me wonders if Sony and Activision worked something out around this.. Like, they already had plans to kill off Skylanders as a game franchise, agreed to the remakes and they both did a deal.

Something like, if Sony co-funds some Crash and Spyro remakes and possibly new games, they'll get the rights after a certain number of games or something.. Probably not, but I do wonder.

Or more likely, Sony gets the game rights exclusively, but Activision still gets to use Crash and Spyro in any TV stuff, so they both profit from it.

LycanXIII

LEGO was smart doing expansions instead of a new game and new line of figures every year. How many times can they get you to buy the same character in a different pose, just because of a new feature?

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
LEGO was smart doing expansions instead of a new game and new line of figures every year. How many times can they get you to buy the same character in a different pose, just because of a new feature?

Until the well runs dry, it seems.

fernoca

I'd say that a huge mistake on their part was that the last game finally allows to use any portal from any prior game (Superchargers kinda allowed it, but had some problems in multiplayer with earlier ones because of the size of vehicles)...

...and they go ahead and not release a digital version and not had a basic portal owners pack at launch, but released one a month later as a Wal-Mart exclsuive.

Currently, said Portal owner's Pack is priced at $25. That at launch, could've brought more attention, instead they put $75 and $100 SKUs as the only options at launch. So a good chunk of fans (and parents) were not going to buy another one with another portal for the 6th time.

Type40

They ran out of ideas 3 games ago...with Giants being the last actually good one. I only bought Superchargers for DK and bowser.

Ridley327

Part of me wonders if Sony and Activision worked something out around this.. Like, they already had plans to kill off Skylanders as a game franchise, agreed to the remakes and they both did a deal.

Something like, if Sony co-funds some Crash and Spyro remakes and possibly new games, they'll get back the rights after a certain number of games or something.. Probably not, but I do wonder.

Or more likely, Sony gets the game rights exclusively, but Activision still gets to use Crash and Spyro in any TV stuff, so they both profit from it.

There are no rights for Sony to get back, since they never owned Crash or Spyro at any point.

fernoca

They ran out of ideas 3 games ago...with Giants being the last actually good one. I only bought Superchargers for DK and bowser.
Swap-Force was actually the best one. It also was the turning point of the series in production values and gameplay.

The Crash+Cortex solo pack instantly became a best seller on Amazon at release, but please keep trying.
I realize this was a joke.

To be honest, Skylanders the BRAND I don't think is dead. Skylanders the Toys to Life game is dead. Skylanders the series can continue any way Activision wants it to. Just stop creating *new* toys. New characters are fine, etc. It can still be their flagship children's property.

While most the Skylanders are pretty forgettable. A few of them have definitely stood out enough to hold some sort of mind share amongst children. I've seen enough merchandise with Trigger Happy and Stealth Elf on them to believe they could probably headline other Skylanders properties

Karak

Swap-Force was actually the best one. It also was the turning point of the series in production values and gameplay.

Man for me this last one was fantastic with making your own. I actually liked Superchargers probably the most though.

Top Bottom