• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Liberal Policies are Ruining San Francisco

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
That's also why they invented the new movement of effective altruism as a lot of people were doing more harm than good as you said.
Effective Altruism sounds like rubbish as well. It basically calls on a person to be successful so they can give to help others.

dionysus

Yaldog
May 12, 2007
Texaa
California has a huge prison population problem, and they were ordered by a federal judge to deal with it. Decriminalizing smaller crimes was meant to be a solution to that problem
Wasn't it more along the lines of overcrowded jails violating the rights in the Constitution? You make it sound like the judge ordered them to stop prosecuting crimes. In actuality, he said you can't house 50 inmates in a jail designed for 20.

California is chose the option of no punishment because they believe that these "petty" crimes are enforced in a racist way. Alternatively, they could have built more jails, or changed sentencing to have less jail time but make up for it in other penalties. Lots of options to comply with basic human rights that still involve enforcing the law.

And here is where it really burns me up. The government ends up coming down super hard on law abiding citizens and ignoring the serial criminal because there is more profit in it to punish the law abiding. Go after a homeless guy who robs a couple of thousands dollars worth of stuff loses the government a bunch of money. (He wont show up to his court date, can't pay the fine, clogs up your jail, etc.) Throwing the book at a taxpayer who is behind 2000 dollars on his taxes, worth it. So much easier to set up a hold on his bank account, garnish the bank account, etc. cause he actually has a bank account. You see this selective enforcement all the time: car insurance and registration with illegal immigrants, littering, environmental pollution, etc. Government goes after the small subset of people who can pay the penalties, and ignores the largest population of offenders who live outside the law constantly.

Last edited:

Pumpkin Seeds

Jul 13, 2018

Chesa Boudin is the son of two domestic terrorists who were imprisoned on murder charges. They were members of The Weather Underground, which bombed several buildings, committed jailbreaks and a whole litany of crimes including murder. They were largely funded/trained by the Soviets and sought to bring down the country.

After his parents were put in prison, he was adopted by... the leaders of the Weather Underground and educated/trained by them. The leaders of the WU—like most of the 70s domestic terrorists—got by on case dismissals via technicalities and being hid in universities and communist friendly cell groups. (Normally taking instructions from Moscow and sending operations to Cuba or taking money from Venezuela/Cuba.)

He's now the DA of San Francisco and his main goal is to stop the separation of children form their parents because of his own experience of being separated from his parents because they were violent domestic terrorists and traitors.

So good fucking luck San Fran.

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
This isn't new, but I never knew San Francisco itself proudly referred to people who collect all the human shit lining the streets as the "poop patrol." Isn't that adorable?

• LOL
Reactions: AFreekinKing

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018

Another article detailing just how shitty San Fran has gotten, although this one posits that the tech boom has played a role in its downfall.

One stat I found fucking shocking: Almost half of the homeless in America are in California.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018

Another article detailing just how shitty San Fran has gotten, although this one posits that the tech boom has played a role in its downfall.

One stat I found fucking shocking: Almost half of the homeless in America are in California.
It's got to be all the good weather and image of chilling out doing drugs that tempts losers to go to California. Southern states like Florida, Texas and whatever other states near the Mexico border surely have pretty good weather too, but some reason you don't seem to get so many being homeless there.

Bootzilla

Banned
Dec 19, 2019
I think both sides are terrible on these sorts of issues. The more right wing (although in urban politics, right wing means "neoliberal") will just move the problems around, force crime into minority neighborhoods, sometime literally out them on busses to other cities. Here in New York, they export their homeless to Newark NJ, for example.

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018
I wonder how many of CA's homeless are people who move there with their last $$$'s to be homeless in good weather. Socal weather is pretty great. Poking a hole in that logic would be the homeless in SanFran, though.

:messenger_dizzy:

I dunno, raises all sorts of questions.

I think both sides are terrible on these sorts of issues. The more right wing (although in urban politics, right wing means "neoliberal") will just move the problems around, force crime into minority neighborhoods, sometime literally out them on busses to other cities. Here in New York, they export their homeless to Newark NJ, for example.
Right wing bastions like NY, NY. Got it. Could NYC even be considered "neoliberal"? It's pretty far out there in loonie-land. The home of AOC and Cynthia Nixon.

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
It's got to be all the good weather and image of chilling out doing drugs that tempts losers to go to California. Southern states like Florida, Texas and whatever other states near the Mexico border surely have pretty good weather too, but some reason you don't seem to get so many being homeless there.
Probably that and the fact that you can openly steal shit and not get in trouble for it.

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
Decriminalizing criminal activity seems vastly worse than anything done on any other part of the political spectrum. What can be worse than telling people it's okay to break the law and hurt other people? The hatred for the rule of law seems pervasive from the Left these days; they hate the police, they also hate our country having an immigration policy.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Right wing bastions like NY, NY. Got it. Could NYC even be considered "neoliberal"? It's pretty far out there in loonie-land. The home of AOC and Cynthia Nixon.
When people are conditioned to believe "all bad things are undoubtedly right-wing or to blame on the right-wing" they end up saying stupid and contradictory things at an increasing rate.

Oct 26, 2018
Decriminalizing criminal activity seems vastly worse than anything done on any other part of the political spectrum. What can be worse than telling people it's okay to break the law and hurt other people? The hatred for the rule of law seems pervasive from the Left these days; they hate the police, they also hate our country having an immigration policy.
But that's the liberal way.

- Loud

- No holds barred doing stupid shit

- Don't want laws or authorities telling them what to do

- Act like charitable good people, but in reality act like greedy fucks no different than Scrooge. Where's all the rich tech workers and billion dollar companies in California donating their money to help poor people? I bet the avg conservative oil company does more charitable work. For every high tech office building where there's 1,000 workers each making 6-digit salaries, there's surely some bums hanging out in tents. And I bet the rich company and all the workers walk right past them going to work, and race asap past them going home

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: HeresJohnny

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
There is no both sides in California. This is wholly a result of Democrat policy.

Last edited:

TaySan

Dec 16, 2018
NIMBYISM is destroying San Francisco not liberalism.

Last edited:

Bootzilla

Banned
Dec 19, 2019
There is no both sides in California. This is wholly a result of Democrat policy.
Other places exist, as it turns out. But again, I'm less taling about Democrat vs Republican as much as progressive vs neoliberal, since big cities skew blue regardless of where.

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Yes, and I'm comparing it to other places with different approaches and saying both have problems.
What other comparable places do you have in the developed western world where drug dealers can stand next to a police car, in the centre of the city, in broad daylight and deal drugs while the cops sitting in the car just shrugs?
Because they will just be let out again and our(==the cops) instructions are only to intervene if things get violent.

What other places do you think are comparable? Please list them.

Last edited:

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
Let me know when you find a city run by Republicans that has a dedicated shit cleaning street team that is run by a corrupt official.
And even better point: California use to be a Republican stronghold. It wasn't until the mid 90s did they permanently switched to Democrat.

In which case, ask people to find where was the drugs and extreme homelessness back when it was a Republican state?

Mihos

Gold Member
May 10, 2009
steamcommunity.com
I wonder how many of CA's homeless are people who move there with their last $$$'s to be homeless in good weather. Socal weather is pretty great. Poking a hole in that logic would be the homeless in SanFran, though.
Not very many are transplants evidently. I also think it's funny that alot of the imported homeless are college kids kids in their 20s chasing that California liberal dream, if you believe this article at least...

Reactions: Ornlu

Bootzilla

Banned
Dec 19, 2019
What other comparable places do you have in the developed western world where drug dealers can stand next to a police car, in the centre of the city, in broad daylight and deal drugs while the cops sitting in the car just shrugs?
Because they will just be let out again and our(==the cops) instructions are only to intervene if things get violent.

People around here REALLY seem to have trouble with statements that aren't unilaterally partisan and binary, huh?

It's super weird, how you can take my post and think it's somehow defending any of this.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
People around here REALLY seem to have trouble with statements that aren't unilaterally partisan and binary, huh?

It's super weird, how you can take my post and think it's somehow defending any of this.
Shove your metaGAF whining up your ass.

You ideologues REALLY seem to have trouble making any statement of opinion without poisoning the well and trying to make a victim / underdog out of yourself. Once or twice is fine, but when your entire posting history is rife with it...

Bootzilla

Banned
Dec 19, 2019
Shove your metaGAF whining up your ass.

You ideologues REALLY seem to have trouble making any statement of opinion without poisoning the well and trying to make a victim / underdog out of yourself. Once or twice is fine, but when your entire posting history is rife with it...
Ok, but literally my post was just calling out neoliberals who think sweeping their problems into the ghetto is a solution.

If THAT makes me a partisan hack, I really don't know what to tell you dude.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Ok, but literally my post was just calling out neoliberals who think sweeping their problems into the ghetto is a solution.

If THAT makes me a partisan hack, I really don't know what to tell you dude.
I didn't call you partisan, I said your metaBitching is poison to genuine conversation.

There is a distinction between holding a position and the way you express that position to your peers in conversation. You can be "morally right" when it comes to the position itself while at the same time practicing illogical and poisonous means of presenting that position to others.

Or to put it in simpler terms, you may firmly believe the answer is "4", but if you are trying to justify that with "7 + 3" or by smearing those who disagree as innumerates, you're not going to change minds and influence people. Then again, I am assuming the goal is to change minds and influence people instead of just soaking up the attention, which is also a phenomenon associated with the behavior on display.

The habit of always needing to snipe at the group and make collectivist assumptions in order to excuse your own position is nothing new. GAF knows exactly where that leads.

gunslikewhoa

Mar 3, 2014

WTF are you talking about? Nobody has implied that you are defending any of this.

Afro Republican

GAF>INTERNET>GAF, BITCHES
Aug 24, 2016
Ruining???

It's been the same for years, it's just many of the distractions don't work anymore, and the increase in population and people trying to out-woke each other have made it much harder to hide things from the public. They still have the upperclass areas brainwashed though.

Jun 26, 2013
De Blasio has also been a terrible mayor with the no bail law and his attempt to remove merit-based testing into better schools.

Reactions: Ornlu

Bootzilla

Banned
Dec 19, 2019
I didn't call you partisan, I said your metaBitching is poison to genuine conversation.

There is a distinction between holding a position and the way you express that position to your peers in conversation. You can be "morally right" when it comes to the position itself while at the same time practicing illogical and poisonous means of presenting that position to others.

Or to put it in simpler terms, you may firmly believe the answer is "4", but if you are trying to justify that with "7 + 3" or by smearing those who disagree as innumerates, you're not going to change minds and influence people. Then again, I am assuming the goal is to change minds and influence people instead of just soaking up the attention, which is also a phenomenon associated with the behavior on display.

The habit of always needing to snipe at the group and make collectivist assumptions in order to excuse your own position is nothing new. GAF knows exactly where that leads.
But he wasn't even disagreeing with me, he was just saying things like "San Francisco is San Francisco." I don't know what to do with that.

Bootzilla

Banned
Dec 19, 2019
Before DeBlasio, New York had Republican mayors for 20 straight years.

Believe me, NYC is the capital of neoliberals; home to Wall Street, and a rapidly gentrifying population of white upper middle class professionals. The same people that kept Hillary Clinton and Chuck Shumer in the Senate.

As far as big coastal cities in America go, this centrist bent is about as right wing as it gets.

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
But he wasn't even disagreeing with me, he was just saying things like "San Francisco is San Francisco." I don't know what to do with that.
Who is he? me?
People were saying SF had turned into a shithole due to its super liberal policies.
You were deflecting and went on about right-wing and other places also had comparable problems.

I call you out and ask WHAT other places have comparable problems to SF.
Instead of responding and telling us what other, non-liberal?, shitholes had comparable problems to SF
you sperg out about some hurr-hurr gaf meta-critisism.

What other places have comparable problems to SF?
You brought this up. I want to know. Or was this just you deflecting the discussion again?

RedVIper

Jun 13, 2017

This does happen in europe.