• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lichtspeer devs: Nintendo working on Switch achievement system

Strings

Taken from their reddit AMA:

WwapGMO.png

0s8hvfZ.png

So, how do you guys feel about this? Yay or nay regarding system-wide Switch achievements? Is there anything you want Nintendo to bring to the table that Microsoft or Sony don't already?

As someone who enjoys platinuming their favourite games, my reaction can be summed up with:

H44ydXe.jpg

Trophy-glitch if old or un-newsworthy.

goldenpp72

I'd be happy if they added it but, not particularly caring all the same. Definitely many other things i'd rather them focus on but if it's trivial, go for it.

rudger

This is pretty low on the list of features I care about, but since many posters insist it's some sort of necessity, cool I guess.

Crayolan

I don't care either way, but I find it weird they'd suddenly start caring now and not around the release of the Wii U.

I don't care about them much, but it's a nice little thing to toy with if you feel like replaying a game.

Retro-Achievements would be neat for VC as well.

jdstorm

Banned
Id be happy mainly because it seems to signal that Nintendo is looking at creating feature parity with the other main gaming companies.

DVCY201

Meh. I find most of these to be needlessly grindy or requiring you to cheese the game at points. It's a boon for others, so more power to them.

Good. I like having more data than just a blanket "hours/times played" for games. Specific details of what I did or didn't do is always welcome.

phanphare

Banned
it'd be great for those who wanted it on Nintendo platforms

as long as it's not obtrusive it's all cool with me

wish miiverse came over too tho..rip

Chesskid1

Banned
great news

i was going to say i'm already invested in trophies so it doesnt matter too much to me, but i'll still enjoy going for theirs as well

Phamit

I think they want to do it with my.nintendo like they did for the Mobile games, but like a lot of things it isn't ready yet

Durock

Heck yeah! This makes me very happy. Huge fan of Achievements on Xbox and this is one of the main things I've been wanting from Nintendo on their hardware. Very excited!

I dont really mind them tbh Gives me a reason to go back to them though i do wonder if theyll patch older games or leave them as is

ramparter

Banned
Dont care much unless they change it a bit. Right now achievements are mostly broken, most of them arent achievements at all just normal stuff (started the game, finished tutorial, first enemy kill lol) and a lot of them are just doing the same shit many times.

I would only care if I actually get something from it. Like new avatars or themes or My Nintendo rewards/coins. I know the last one is silly since the program right now , but if they ever improved on it and I could earn My Nintendo rewards/coins it would be very cool.

Dont care much unless they change it a bit. Right now achievements are mostly broken, most of them arent achievements at all just normal stuff (started the game, finished tutorial, first enemy kill lol) and a lot of them are just doing the same shit many times.
Imagine if breath of the wild got it and one of them was to collect all the korok seeds lol

Remember the NX patent? This could be a huge social endeavor that the Switch so desperately needs. Achievements, digital coins to amass, high scores, and challenging friends to specific in game achievements.

I hope Nintendo doesn't Nintendo it up though. The chat app was a huge step backwards. I'd also love to see native Twitch and YouTibe gameplay streaming on the Switch but that probably won't ever happen.

Strings

I don't care about them much, but it's a nice little thing to toy with if you feel like replaying a game.

Retro-Achievements would be neat for VC as well.

Retro-Achievements would be amazing, and would have me gobbling up VC titles like no tomorrow. It's maybe the one thing that could force me to admit the wait for Switch VC has been worth it.

I would like a simplified system.

Have only a few and have them for major accomplishments like beating a game or collecting everything.

Also separate single-player, multi-player and online achievements completely.

If it's the same list as every other platform it's pointless. In that case I would like to be able to disable them completely.

DonF

Im ok with no achievements, but I really like to know milestones in games. The other day I was playing super smash Bros melee with my brother and realized that there is a record of your feats, characters unlocked, number of brawls, etc. I would love if nintendo did something like that with all games.
I was expecting something like that with the switch, how it tracks your playtime. It would be awesome.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Never made a difference for me but some people like them and it can make a difference for some devs as well so, yay?

Lots of people buy games just for achievements so there's a huge market out there that have passed over Nintendo due to not having it.

To anyone who says achievement are dumb, it's a choice, you don't have to pay attention to them.

You should WANT Nintendo to have it to increase their market share and sell more games.

I've said it before but trophies increase replay value for me. Some will argue that if you really like a game then you shouldn't need all these extra things to keep you playing. But I'm a goal oriented player. I need goals to work toward or else I just lose interest.

Trophies also lead me to things or make me try things I wouldn't normally do. I don't fucks with frustrating ones but when they're good they're great. And if you don't like em? turn em off.

It's sad that Nintendo is this late to them. They still don't got em.

Unless they unlock something like how certain Xbox achievements gives you cool backgrounds, then I don't give a shit.

good news for those that care though

I kinda care about cheevos/trophies on Xbox/PS, but for some reason I've always thought Nintendo's IPs would make for the most compelling achievement system. I guess it's just that an added layer of cool stuff to do and track in Mario/Zelda/Metroid/whatever.

Maybe this is why VC is taking so long, gonna get the achievement system implemented first. Then we can get a drip feed like PS2 on PS4 because of mandatory trophies.

rudger

The folks saying they don't care gonna end up hooked.

Are you assuming they've never owned other systems with achievements? Cause you'd be wrong - at least in my case.

To echo others, hope it ties to my Nintendo rewards at the least. The Miiverse stamps on the Wii U were a nice idea as well, but like all things Miiverse, just too slow to compel me to play with it.

Mithos

Trophies is what makes me play through a game more then one time, or finish games that wad good but not awesome.
Actually finished Assassins Creed: Freedom Cry today, did the last memory, and then started to 100% syncing all the memories.

Top Bottom