• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lichtspeer devs: Nintendo working on Switch achievement system

Painguy

Please no. Achievements are horrible. Just add proper content in your game that encourages exceptional skill or time from the player and reward them using some sort of in game mechanic. Checklists like these are dumb and dont encourage dope in game stuff.

Cindro

This would be absolutely AMAZING, but I'd be worried about how they'd retroactively apply them. I don't want my accomplishments in first-year Switch games to not be recorded on something like this.

Still, I'll remain cautiously optimistic!

D.Lo

Hopefully they can be turned off centrally.

Fine to be there for others but I find them extremely stupid.

This would be absolutely AMAZING, but I'd be worried about how they'd retroactively apply them. I don't want my accomplishments in first-year Switch games to not be recorded on something like this.

Still, I'll remain cautiously optimistic!

Probably the same way Sony handled trophies when they came to PS3 over a year after that system launched.
Gotta' do everything again if you want the achivements

Emitan

I'd rather they focus on more important things like cloud saves and voice chat, but its nice for the people who want it.

But games like Disgaea 5 already have achievements built in so it doesn't seem that necessary.

Hazu

As long as they don't make it boring like it actually is on Xbox and Playstation, I'm totally down with this!

Make an application called the "Nintendo Museum" in which you would be able to display the trophies you would get by getting achievements.

Something like this :

super-smash-bros-for-wii-u-trophy-shop.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Adding it after the fact is a bummer. I would say half my PS3 library either didn't have trophies or got them in years-later patches I didn't give a shit about. The time to do this is launch. Especially since some of the major Nintendo franchises have already launched: Zelda, Splatoon, Mario Kart, Mario...

Black_Red

I just hope I can disable it

Most fans arguing that achievements are dumb probably never ventured past Nintendo games.

Achievements are dumb. I mostly play on PC and I had a 360 last gen and even then they were were dumb, I still remember when people were buying the avatar game to get 1000G fast.

Make them like their achievements on their mobile games and give us My Nintendo coins for each one, that we can pile up until they expire.

I think it would be nice, I'm not massively into achievements but they add replayabilty to some games and I go for the odd platinum if I really enjoy a game.

Having said that though, I don't believe Nintendo are actually making an achievement system and if they are it won't be anything close to what sony or microsoft offer.

Lots of people buy games just for achievements so there's a huge market out there that have passed over Nintendo due to not having it.

To anyone who says achievement are dumb, it's a choice, you don't have to pay attention to them.

You should WANT Nintendo to have it to increase their market share and sell more games.

I kind of agree with that. In addition to that thought, slot of Nintendo games already keeps track of random data that could be measured as an achievement. This would just be a way to universally make milestones for them.

Gleethor

Adding it after the fact is a bummer. I would say half my PS3 library either didn't have trophies or got them in years-later patches I didn't give a shit about. The time to do this is launch. Especially since some of the major Nintendo franchises have already launched: Zelda, Splatoon, Mario Kart, Mario...
I'm sure if they do add cheevos, they'll retroactively add them to first party releases.

Are you assuming they've never owned other systems with achievements? Cause you'd be wrong - at least in my case.

To echo others, hope it ties to my Nintendo rewards at the least. The Miiverse stamps on the Wii U were a nice idea as well, but like all things Miiverse, just too slow to compel me to play with it.
I'm not assuming anything.

Is this under the assumption that those people have never played on Xbox 360/PS3/XB1/PS4 or even Steam?
No.

Gator86

Fantastic news. Achievement and trophies are fun and add little challenges to games. They're a great addition from last gen.

But it's also Nintendo so they'll fuck it up.

I personally wouldn't want an achievement system on zelda. We already had the pretext that they wanted us to do whatever. I don't need markers telling me what can happen instead of finding it myself.

BigEmil

Hopefully they give us a option to disable that I don't care about trophies and that crap don't want that to distract me from my games

steveovig

This is getting my hopes up a little. The Switch has already become my go-to console and this would just be icing on the cake. Right now, Nintendo is the only major company with a platform that doesn't have some form of official achievements.

Even if you don't care about trophies/achievements, at least this is a sign of Nintendo trying to listen to consumer requests. Hopefully cloud saves, game sharing, and other standards come soon.

Fanuilos

I guess as long as I can bury it in the system UI and it never bothers me it's ok. I can already see the conversations that their system isn't as good as others though.

ggx2ac

Even if you don't care about trophies/achievements, at least this is a sign of Nintendo trying to listen to consumer requests. Hopefully cloud saves, game sharing, and other standards come soon.

I honestly would have preferred the bolded compared to achievements.

watershed

Banned
As long as there's an option to turn off notifications in games, I'll be happy to have an achievement system. I wouldn't want to play a game like BOTW and have notifications popping up for every cool thing I do or find.

Top Bottom