• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Life Is Strange |OT| Rewinder Me

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I've had this on my backlog forever, and finally played and finished it. Amazing game/experience, Jesus. Should've played this sooner.

Spoilers (full game):
I had to save Chloe at the end. I briefly considered saving the town, but I felt like the relationship between Max and Chloe was so strong I couldn't bear breaking it and having Max bear this entire journey through time alone with no-one else aware of it and no-one to discuss it with. It was incredibly traumatic for her and she needs Chloe to get through it. I also felt that from Max's point of view... how do you truly know that letting Chloe die will fix everything?

Regarding the end of the game:
Saving Chloe was the easiest decision of the game for me. No hesitation, no weighing the options, nothing. I worked my ass off to keep her alive, like hell I was going to let her die. I watched the "kill Chloe" ending on YouTube and I was like FUCK THAT.

Dontnod makes believable, human characters, so now I'm gonna follow their work. I'm hella impressed.

Time to play Remember Me!

ampere

It was pretty intentionally an homage to the David Lynchian weirdness of the final episode of Twin Peaks, like so much of the rest of the game and that show.

I see. Not familiar with that show, but I hear about it a lot.

Regarding the end of the game:
Saving Chloe was the easiest decision of the game for me. No hesitation, no weighing the options, nothing. I worked my ass off to keep her alive, like hell I was going to let her die. I watched the "kill Chloe" ending on YouTube and I was like FUCK THAT.

Dontnod makes believable, human characters, so now I'm gonna follow their work. I'm hella impressed.

Time to play Remember Me!

Heh. Yea there are definitely certain choices in the game I don't think I could bring myself to go the other way. I may play back through it in the future to finish up the optional photo achievements I missed, but I have a feeling my choices would be similar to my first playthrough.

I'm thinking about getting Remember Me too. This studio is on my good list.

Beat this game last night, and have been thinking about it for more than 24 hours. For a game with little actual "gameplay" to speak of, it is an incredibly powerful and resonant piece of fiction. I also can't think of a game that uses licensed music to such poignant emotional effect; it's fucking poetic.

The casting for the characters was pretty amazing across the board. I am infinitely sad I will never be able to play it again for the first time. Such an engrossing, unique experience that tackles themes you don't see in video games.

Dontnod are really really good at world building; Remember Me had the same rich backdrop even though the gameplay wasn't particularly amazing. I really hope they come back to the Life Is Strange IP for a season 2 in some way.

It stayed with me for a month+ after finishing. It totally blew me away, even as it's clunky and cliche at times. Love it so much.

Javin98

Banned
Just beat the game last night. Holy fuck, very few games have brought me so close to tearing up. Throughout the whole game, I felt very immersed in the story and the characters. Being in college really helps me relate to pretty much everything that happens in the game. Man, in the
alternate timeline when Chloe asked Max to end her life, I seriously almost shed a tear.
So few games and movies managed to do this that I can count them all in one hand. And that ending. The whole game was already pointing to it, but when the time came, it was heart wrenching. This ending will definitely stick with me for a long time.

I know most people think the dialogue is cheezy, but I actually found most of the lines in line with what us teenagers say. Well, with the exception of "hella", but I've grown fond of that word. While the writing can sometimes be weird, the story is surprisingly deep and I will definitely be reading up the theories and such. Also, the characters are much better written than in Telltale's and David Cage's games.

Overall, I really loved this game and would put it as one of the best games of last year.

Freeman

Banned
Just finished the game. I had no idea the game was this good, damn. It does so many things right...

I'm a sucker for time travel and also this style of game (Quantic Dream\Telltale), this is the best game in this gender I've played so far.

Possibly the best utilization of episodic format I've seen.

Its hard to think of a story more fitting for this kind of decision making game.

Played it at 800x600 on my laptop, goes to show how little graphics matter.

Darksol

Even with a few hiccups, this has become one of my absolute favourite games. My girlfriend and I played it over the past couple of days. Really well done -- I have nothing to add which hasn't already been said in this thread.

So I bought this game on Steam a few days ago and started the game yesterday.

Holy shit why I haven't I played this earlier?????????

This game is UNBELIEVABLE!!!
I'm now on Episode 3 and holy cow I can't get enough of this wonderful game.

Max, Chloe, Kate, Warren,... All the characters are great and the MUSIC AND ATMOSPHERE!!!

I love this game.
Top 5 games ever.

SE Toby

Neo Member
Hello everyone! Just dropping by to tell you that from tomorrow (21 July) onwards, Episode 1 will be entirely for free on all platforms (release timings and link to new trailer below). You'll be able to pick it up from www.lifeisstrange.com/free

If you have any questions about anything, let me know! :)

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Very good marketing! Someone should make a new thread.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I've been trying to get a friend of mine to play it, and he texted me about Episode 1 being free, so perfect timing!

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
First episode free is really great to give people a taste, but I think most people that have played thru this would agree with me that the end of episode 2 is where you will know if you're going to be hooked on this story for the long haul. I almost wish they'd have given the first two out for free. I hope people don't try the first episode and feel like it's too mundane and not worth investing in the whole season.

ampere

So I watched my gf play through the first two episodes on pc but I'd like to continue on PS4, could I start with ep 3 there?

I think you're going to have to start fresh. I didn't have the option to choose a different part when I first started the game

Also you kinda need the decision data from the first two anyway

First episode free is really great to give people a taste, but I think most people that have played thru this would agree with me that the end of episode 2 is where you will know if you're going to be hooked on this story for the long haul. I almost wish they'd have given the first two out for free. I hope people don't try the first episode and feel like it's too mundane and not worth investing in the whole season.

I feel the same way. After the first episode I was kinda like... this is a neat story, but I could take it or leave it. Episode 2 is what really sucked me in and made me so glad I bought it

I don't think so -- not on the first playthrough anyways, unless I'm mistaken.

I think you're going to have to start fresh. I didn't have the option to choose a different part when I first started the game

Also you kinda need the decision data from the first two anyway

Thanks for the replies, I kinda expected that this would be the case. Probably can't download a save either because of those silly trophies. :p

malfcn

How long in advance did they know they were using that song for the ending? Its got all the blue for Chloe in the video, convenience of inspiration for her character?

Hello everyone! Just dropping by to tell you that from tomorrow (21 July) onwards, Episode 1 will be entirely for free on all platforms (release timings and link to new trailer below). You'll be able to pick it up from www.lifeisstrange.com/free

If you have any questions about anything, let me know! :)

Thanks!! Please port the game to Android and iOS ;)
Love this game soooo mich and a Version to carry around everywhere I'll go would be perfect.

I just finished this after buying it during the Summer Sale. Damn, kinda wish I could pay more for it to be honest. In the end:
I couldn't sacrifice Chloe after everything. It was a nice ending but kind of a hollow victory. I watched the other ending and it seemed obvious that sacrificing Chloe was the one the game meant for you to do. Fucking emotional. Both endings are pretty Pyrrhic to be honest.
. Also I'm kind of debating whether or not to pick up a limited edition. I'll have to see if they are available.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Also I'm kind of debating whether or not to pick up a limited edition. I'll have to see if they are available.

I've been having a hard time tracking down an NA copy of the PC LE. It's sold out of the SE store and eBay hasn't been very helpful either.

ampere

I just finished this after buying it during the Summer Sale. Damn, kinda wish I could pay more for it to be honest. In the end:
I couldn't sacrifice Chloe after everything. It was a nice ending but kind of a hollow victory. I watched the other ending and it seemed obvious that sacrificing Chloe was the one the game meant for you to do. Fucking emotional. Both endings are pretty Pyrrhic to be honest.
. Also I'm kind of debating whether or not to pick up a limited edition. I'll have to see if they are available.

#teamsavechloe fuck the city. :x

But seriously, can you imagine the emotional trauma for Max if she had to go back after all of that and watch Chloe die again, and have nobody to share any of her hardships with? Who would ever believe her story. That's too much for one person to bear.

But seriously, can you imagine the emotional trauma for Max if she had to go back after all of that and watch Chloe die again, and have nobody to share any of her hardships with? Who would ever believe her story. That's too much for one person to bear.

Yeah, god forbid she has to deal with loss. Let's just kill thousands of people instead.

I never understood this line of thinking. My first instinct when I reached the final choice in the game was to think "who the fuck would be selfish enough to sacrifice all those people, all those relationships, all those people loved by others, to satisfy their own flawed relationship with their childhood friend?" Turns out a lot of people would rather watch hordes of people die, which both surprised and disappointed me.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, god forbid she has to deal with loss. Let's just kill thousands of people instead.

I never understood this line of thinking. My first instinct when I reached the final choice in the game was to think "who the fuck would be selfish enough to sacrifice all those people, all those relationships, all those people loved by others, to satisfy their own flawed relationship with their childhood friend?" Turns out a lot of people would rather watch hordes of people die, which both surprised and disappointed me.

I think the whole tornado thing (or the ending(s), period) wasn't that well thought-out by Dontnod. I've never been convinced it was the result of Max's actions - the game tries to sell it to you as being part of some vague chaos theory idea, when realistically, it could just be a freak tornado. I mean this is one of those things where, the deeper you dig into Max having powers, the more questions you have about anything making sense.

The most egregious sin regarding the ending is how the choices you make in the game have no impact on the final, binary choice, which is disappointing. So yeah, bae over bay.

They have an impact, just not a 'you've totalled up 25 good actions, here's another ending choice'. They have an impact in how the player is and how they feel, and how they think Max and Chloe think and feel etc.

It's not as immediately satisfying as traditional choices>endings structures, but for my money it's light years more subtle and interesting than Mass Effect because of how you got there, even as the endings were unequal and even as the stark proposition was clunky.

It would have been nice to see it boil down to player actions in game, aye, but I can live with how it is.

I've been having a hard time tracking down an NA copy of the PC LE. It's sold out of the SE store and eBay hasn't been very helpful either.

Amazon has some. That's where I picked up mine. A little marked up I think but whatevs. There's some Xbox One versions sold by SE on Amazon if you just want the extras.

I resolve my dissonance by telling myself that people could have survived. I'm still sad after a couple days.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
They have an impact, just not a 'you've totalled up 25 good actions, here's another ending choice'. They have an impact in how the player is and how they feel, and how they think Max and Chloe think and feel etc.

It's not as immediately satisfying as traditional choices>endings structures, but for my money it's light years more subtle and interesting than Mass Effect because of how you got there, even as the endings were unequal and even as the stark proposition was clunky.

It would have been nice to see it boil down to player actions in game, aye, but I can live with how it is.

Oh I totally agree that the choices you make throughout the game have a huge emotional impact on the ending, no question, and it’s extremely effective. I mean I’m frustrated by how, regardless of what you did in the game, the ending will be the same. I felt like, with the way the game was going in the earlier episodes, certain decisions would radically alter the story more than they did. At the very least, the save Chloe ending could’ve been more fleshed out, as I refuse to believe that every single person in Arcadia Bay died.

Ultimately, I still think this is one of the best games I’ve ever played, and I have faith in Dontnod’s ability to deliver an effective and satisfying second season.

Amazon has some. That's where I picked up mine. A little marked up I think but whatevs. There's some Xbox One versions sold by SE on Amazon if you just want the extras.

I resolve my dissonance by telling myself that people could have survived. I'm still sad after a couple days.

Thanks! For some reason, there’s an abundance of UK PC copies on sites like Amazon and eBay, but all NA copies are an arm and a leg. I mean if I just want the extras, then it doesn’t really matter, it’s just weird. Is this due to the SE online store exclusivity for the PC edition?

Also

i believe there were survivors and the save Chloe ending should've show that.

Oh I totally agree that the choices you make throughout the game have a huge emotional impact on the ending, no question, and it’s extremely effective. I mean I’m frustrated by how, regardless of what you did in the game, the ending will be the same. I felt like, with the way the game was going in the earlier episodes, certain decisions would radically alter the story more than they did. At the very least, the save Chloe ending could’ve been more fleshed out, as I refuse to believe that every single person in Arcadia Bay died.

Ultimately, I still think this is one of the best games I’ve ever played, and I have faith in Dontnod’s ability to deliver an effective and satisfying second season.

Thanks! For some reason, there’s an abundance of UK PC copies on sites like Amazon and eBay, but all NA copies are an arm and a leg. I mean if I just want the extras, then it doesn’t really matter, it’s just weird. Is this due to the SE online store exclusivity for the PC edition?

Also

i believe there were survivors and the save Chloe ending should've show that.

The sacrifice Chloe ending is obviously the intended one based on how fleshed out it is compared to the Save Chloe one. Can't wait for the second season. I'll miss all the characters though. I'm excited to see which locale they pick.

That livestream of the actors playing the game had an interesting little tidbit. I might be reading too much into it, but it struck me as strange. When the host informed the audience that there would be no information about Life is Strange 2 during the stream, Hannah Telle immediately said "sorry" to the camera in a way that made it sound like she's involved with the game somehow.

rusteepot

Love the music (my heart skipped a beat when Bright Eyes came on. Those were the daysss)

Anyway, my question is: Who's your favorite character design? (Not necessarily favorite character)

I like Brooke's and Evan's. I would like Max's if she didn't bear such a startling resemblance to Taylor Swift (yikes).

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
Gaf would you recommend this game to someone that has never tried episodic games but is interested?

Just realized episode 1 was free, downloading now. What's the best way to play the rest? Pay each episode individually?

JDB

Banned
Gaf would you recommend this game to someone that has never tried episodic games but is interested?

Just realized episode 1 was free, downloading now. What's the best way to play the rest? Pay each episode individually?
If you're really not sure about the game after the free episode you can buy and try out episode 2. If by that point you're still not feeling it the game is probably not for you. Episode 1 can be a bit rough and doesn't really give you a great idea of where they're going with the game and story, but episode 2 definitely gives you a good taste of it. If you're really enjoying episode you should just buy the full game, though. Cheaper that way. :)

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

Episode 1 is a good tonal introduction to the game but it doesn't get batshit, GotY, crazypants mindfucky til ep 2 and then it gets even better from there.

It's been around a week since I finished the game and I can't really stop thinking about it. Probably doesn't help that I'm listening to the soundtrack but I just feel super sad whenever I think about it. I'm usually a heartless bastard when I play games but damn. How do I stop thinking about the game? Do I want to? It might be because I only have like one other person to talk to about it besides this thread lol. Still, didn't expect this game to affect me this much or in such a way.

JDB

Banned
It's been around a week since I finished the game and I can't really stop thinking about it. Probably doesn't help that I'm listening to the soundtrack but I just feel super sad whenever I think about it. I'm usually a heartless bastard when I play games but damn. How do I stop thinking about the game? Do I want to? It might be because I only have like one other person to talk to about it besides this thread lol. Still, didn't expect this game to affect me this much or in such a way.
We've all been there. ;_;

DaMan121

So I finished (the free) Episode I, a few things will decide if I purchase the rest:

a) Are they longer than Ep I?
b) Are the puzzles more difficult?
c) Are all puzzles revealed once you failed them the first time? Or can you turn this off?

Thanks!

chadskin

So I finished (the free) Episode I, a few things will decide if I purchase the rest:

a) Are they longer than Ep I?
b) Are the puzzles more difficult?
c) Are all puzzles revealed once you failed them the first time? Or can you turn this off?

Thanks!

a) They're all in the same 2-3 hour range, see here: http://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=21702
b) Yes, there are a handful more difficult ones (in particular if you want to 100% it) but it's not really a puzzle game.
c) IIRC there are some puzzles that'll reveal the solution if you failed often enough but others won't. Again, don't go into this expecting a challenging puzzle game, the focus is on the narrative and the decisions you make that'll shape the story over the rest of the season.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah, today was National Suicide Prevention Day. Excellent choice to stream.

Top Bottom