• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightbox (Starhawk) lays off 24 people, moves to iOS development

V_Ben

Banned
This fucking sucks Sony, stop obliterating talent, your problems are not on the studios.

Your price/schedule strategy sucks, your marketing sucks big way, but sure, close the studio that managed to make a perfectly good game, that'll solve the problem.

Big meh, best of luck to Dylan and the rest of the team, you deserved more than this.

Lightbox is an independent studio. Nothing to do with Sony except for the fact that their first game was published by them.

DryvBy

I never understood why they made their games PS3 exclusive. The lost sales must be tremendous

I don't think that's why it failed. I think it fell under the radar. I got it for cheap and thought it was an amazingly good looking and fun game. Multiplayer is a bit tough for nubs like me. Outside of infantry or tanks, I'm a walking point system for the opposing guy's kill streak.

Acosta

Lightbox is an independent studio. Nothing to do with Sony except for the fact that their first game was published by them.

Nothing to do except they are now closing after the publisher cancelled their multi-game contract.

SCE is fully responsible of this.

Put hundreds of hours into Warhawk. Played the Starhawk demo and thought it sucked. People just wanted Warhawk in space, not some tower defence game with a dumb story on a muddy brown planet.

Another studio that made a game its fans did not want and suffered the consequences.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Acosta said:
Nothing to do except they are now closing after the publisher cancelled their multi-game contract.

Because of course they are so much worse than Activision, EA, or any other big publisher...

Atolm

This one and Twisted Metal were supposedly big PS3 exclusives this year and both are amongst the big bombs of 2012, both sales and reception-wise.

You guys, trust me the beta for this game tanked it before it ever released. If I was Sony I would have done the minimum advertising as well. The figures coming back from the beta had to spell doom. It was bad. Stop pinning this on Sony. If the game was great you would have heard about it. The OT here was one of least active I have seen for a multiplayer game.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This one and Twisted Metal were supposedly big PS3 exclusives this year and both are amongst the big bombs of 2012, both sales and reception-wise.
Twisted metal sold and reviewed pretty well. Jaffa posted last week saying they were happy with it...

Have we even seen any sales data for Starhawk? I'm sure it bombed hardcore; it was a PS+ freebie way too fast. I gave it a try since it was free and ended up uninstalling it 2 hours later, so I'm definitely not surprised.

V_Ben

Banned
Twisted metal sold and reviewed pretty well. Jaffa posted last week saying they were happy with it...

Exactly, and ESP's contract was such that they went into iOS stuff after. 2 games or 2 years I believe It was. TM sold well enough.

Acosta

Not fully. They could pitch a game to another publisher if they wanted to.

Having a multi-year, multi-game contract with a first party is a big reason to not trying to pitch projects to other publishers, especially if you are a not so big studio with limited resources.

Carl

Having a multi-year, multi-game contract with a first party is a big reason to not trying to pitch projects to other publishers, especially if you are a not so big studio with limited resources.

Sure, but after the pulled the contract, LightBox could have pitched to another publisher. Or even gone a completely different route and gone completely indie. Made iOS shit, or whatever.

It's not Sony's fault they're closing. Not completely.

I assumed it was a fully first party title!

I hadn't even heard of it until I saw the beta thread popping up on here, and never saw much of it anything post release- typical Sony marketing.
As said, it sounds like a game more suited to a low price, multiplayer only PSN release.

AAAA from here on out or bust.

Meier

Shame, I went to a little pre-release thing at the Highball for Starhawk. Didn't know they were a local dev.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
What? It was everywhere on all the blogs, the PSN Store, What's New on the XMB, on the PlayStation.Blog, the BlogCast, etc. back in May. Couldn't escape it.

So what you're saying is if you don't pay attention to PlayStation blogs you could easily have missed Starhawk's release.

Why does he need a source? Pretty sure he has more idea how much it sold than any "source"

Well. Some of the actions by ESP/Sony post launch haven't really suggested the game was all that successful. DLC and post launch support really weren't there cuz the sales werent great.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Lightbox lost me (and lost my money) when they turned Starhawk into something "weird" that not Warhawk sequel that I wanted.

RTS elements,horrible story mode and other weird and unnecessary decisions,the game turned big bomba is their fault really they should have just made a bigger and better Warhawk 2.

I Hope someone else can give us a real sequel to 2007 Warhawk in the future

DMeisterJ

Banned
Played the Starhawk beta and was underwhelmed. I absolutely knew that SP was a waste of time after the success of Warhawk and it's lack of SP. I agree that a PSN only MP game would have came out faster and curbed dev costs, and probably have done better.

They got boned by marketing. I wasn't even aware the game was out until two months after release. There was essentially zero public awareness of this game.

They got boned by marketing. I wasn't even aware the game was out until two months after release. There was essentially zero public awareness of this game.

the art style was simply terrible as well...

Sony is cleaning the house!

Zipper
SCE Studio Liverpool
LightBox
Eat Sleep Play
Team ICO

WHO IS NEXT? No bombs allowed!

graywolf323

Starhawk came out!?! I downloaded the beta, for it but never got around to playing it. Had no idea the full game was actually released. I'll have to go look for a copy. Can you buy it on the PSN Store?

Was there any actual advertising for this game?

I remember seeing ads in magazines, on TV, and it even featured prominently in an episode of Necessary Roughness on USA Network

Carl

Yea that didn't help sales either.

IMO, He has never really been very honest. His twitter for example he would downplay the FUCK outta the game's issues. It was really disheartening.

There's a difference between downplaying issues and flat out lying about sales.

the art style was simply terrible as well...

Sony is cleaning the house!

Zipper
SCE Studio Liverpool
LightBox
Eat Sleep Play
Team ICO

WHO IS NEXT? No bombs allowed!

Again, they weren't a Sony studio. Neither are Eat Sleep Play (who, by the way, aren't even closed)

And Team ICO isn't dead.

There's a difference between downplaying issues and flat out lying about sales.

Again, they weren't a Sony studio. Neither were Eat Sleep Play

And Team ICO isn't dead.

I think they were. They had been making games exclusive for Sony systems for a long time, Team Ico is all but dead....and they cut ties with Insomniac as well. All great stuff IMO

btw there were mass firings at eat sleep play right before Twisted metal shipped and David Jaffe also left. I doubt they will release another game.

Overboost

So what you're saying is if you don't pay attention to PlayStation blogs you could easily have missed Starhawk's release.

Not just Sony's blogs, all of them. Kotaku, Joystiq, IGN (heh), Destructoid, GamesRadar, Escapist, GameSpot, Wired, CVG, GameTrailers, etc. Surely we all read at least one of those.

antitrop

This is true for almost every retail release this year.
I completely disagree. I don't buy games from brick and mortar stores, but occasionally I go there for other things and see the games on the shelves.

I do not often see games at $39.99 just 1 month after release.

Carl

I think they were. They had been making games exclusive for Sony systems for a long time, Team Ico is all but dead....and they cut ties with Insomniac as well. All great stuff IMO

No, they weren't. They were on a multi game contract, but independent of Sony.

How the fuck did they "cut all ties" with Insomniac when Insomniac are still making some Playstation exclusives?

The mind boggles at some of you lot.

Yeah I loved this game, got it day one and I seriously think it was yet another one of those zero marketing things Sony has been doing lately. I absolutely loved the build and battle system, it was so fresh and new and it's a shame that something that isn't a cookie cutter FPS and actually did something fun and new was either ignored or shunned, from what I've seen.

Top Bottom