• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightbox (Starhawk) lays off 24 people, moves to iOS development

Kifimbo

George Broussard ‏@georgeb3dr
Good luck to my buddies at LightBox in Austin. Layoffs and rumors of near whole studio gone by Friday :(

https://twitter.com/georgeb3dr/status/258695362620043264

Lock if old.

Update:

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012...tbox-interactive-hit-with-layoffs-moving-away

LightBox Interactive, the Austin-based developer behind PlayStation 3 game Starhawk, has laid off 24 of its employees, studio founder and president Dylan Jobe tells Polygon. The layoffs are part of a "shift in product strategy" at LightBox, Jobe says, which includes a move away from traditional console development.

Jobe says he's not shutting down LightBox Interactive. Instead, the company will self-fund a small, focused indie-style team to bring the developer's next game to iOS, not the PlayStation 3.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Wait, what?! They only released one game! And it was great!

God damn it.

I really loved Starhawk, I would have really liked to see it's universe and gameplay mechanics expanded on in the next generation (especially with a higher build limit).

What a shame.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Man really? I thought Starhawk was a pretty cool game and added some interesting features to MP.

Damned shame...

onQ123

I thought they was already closed after Warhawk?

I guess they will make a new team when it's time for SkyWarHawk.

Revven

Will the game (Starhawk at least) stay online? I'd guess so because they just put the MP up a week or two ago on PSN.

Still, heart breaking to hear this... I just started playing Starhawk the other day. Shame... they were rollin' out awesome stuff compared to most devs these days.

mr stroke

Sucks they are closing, but you can't fault the poor sales. Starhawk was average at best and no where close to the amazing Warhawk.

They should have stuck with a Warhawk sequel.

Shiloa

Starhawk was potentially awesome, but they fluffed it up. So many good ideas in there, but the execution meant the bombing was deserved.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Well at least they didn't sell a season pass for their DLC.

The beta negated any interest in the game for me.

Jobe seems like a cool guy, though.

Holy shit... Sony get serious about these cuts I see.

Now I feel really bad for not buying starhawk.

LOVED warhawk.

Also ill keep asking until I get the answer but what is it always George Broussard announcing this stuff?

Revven

The beta negated any interest in the game for me.

The beta was a mess balance-wise, but I feel the overall final product they have now would have been nice to have back in May.. when it initially launched.

It's sad, I hope those involved find employment elsewhere soon. They took risks in a sea of generic shooters in 2012. Too bad nobody bought the game to prove those risks were worth taking. D:

Wow, I totally forgot about Starwawk being released. I felt the beta went for such a long time that people forgot about the actual release.

Starhawk came out!?! I downloaded the beta, for it but never got around to playing it. Had no idea the full game was actually released. I'll have to go look for a copy. Can you buy it on the PSN Store?

Was there any actual advertising for this game?

Noooo. Austin is becoming a graveyard for developers.

I thought StarHawk was just one of the games they were going to make. I was hoping their next one was going to be StarHawk but in actual space. I played WarHawk like crazy.

Top Bottom