• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII launches in Japan with low sales of 277k

Yeesh, instead of being happy because a game didn't sell well, go play something else, as others said this won't affect the sales of XV or Bravely Default, so buy and enjoy that whenever/if it launches.

image.php

Kysen

All that money and dev time creating an engine for the worst trilogy in the series. If FF15 bombs we can blame FF13. The PS3 really did hit Japan hard.

Elvick

Banned
I'm looking forward to seeing how bad it sells on the 360 in NA. The drop off from XIII > XIII-2 was hilarious.

Everyone expected this to happen, it's just a trend of Final Fantasy. People want the next game, not a sequel. FFX-2 sold less too. One could argue quality, but people just want the next Final Fantasy *insert numeral*. Not -2 nonsense.

Only diehards want sequels, and those vary a lot per title. I'd argue FFXIII has very few diehards. Especially for TWO sequels... at least with FFVII games there was time between. I guess it doesn't much matter when you are reusing so many assets though.

I really hope SE just stop with the focus on FF sequels and get back to making new titles. That way, if they fail at one, we don't have long to wait for the next. Like it used to be. As it is, we've been stuck with FFXIII the entire generation (FFXIV doesn't count, different market).

Yeesh, instead of being happy because a game didn't sell well, go play something else, as others said this won't affect the sales of XV or Bravely Default, so buy and enjoy that whenever/if it launches.

Nope, I'll be happy after this series never shows up again and it probably won't. So cheers!

Tales of Xillia also sold better than Final Fantasy XIII-2 in Japan. So it Tales of Xillia 2.

Final Fantasy no longer holds the staying power it once did in Japan. Dragon Quest does, but not Final Fantasy. Japan never associated Final Fantasy with RPGs as the West has, Dragon Quest is the iconic RPG for them. And it's probably easy for them to ignore a Final Fantasy game that doesn't look good to them, as the games probably aren't that much of a curiosity, whether good or bad. Whereas a lot of Westerners buy Final Fantasy because of the name, even if they think of the game as bad, their curiosity leads them to buying the games. Whereas it seems like it is very easy for Japan to move on from Final Fantasy and give attention to other franchises like Monster Hunter.

I would like the West to be able to move on from Final Fantasy a similar way to how Japan is doing. But I do understand the Western phenomenon that is Final Fantasy. It will be harder and take longer for the West to move out of the Final Fantasy 'bubble', so to speak.

I think it can and will happen eventually, though. Especially if Square Enix doesn't turn their development around.
You're talking about first week sales only...right? Otherwise that's false.

genbatzu

hmmm.. are digital sales included in these numbers?

when FF XIII released, digital full price titles where basically non existent, but nowadays every game launches physical and digital on the same day and I'm sure quite a number of players purchased the LR FFXIII in the playstation store, especially in japan.
so the sales are higher for sure. the question is, how much?

Mr. RHC

The Final Fantasy XIII trilogy has completed its focus, it turned into crystal and was shattered by the fans in Japan.

At last we can move on now and pretend that these games never existed.

BumRush

It's easier to just release them as is. I'd probably expect to see an iOS version before to long. Its sad, I'd love to see some sort of remaster for 7, 8 and 9. That's a lot of redrawing the backgrounds though.

I agree but the stories and concepts are there. Even if it doesn't look like crysis at max settings, people will flock!!

Goli

Why can't SE have a team start working on full HD remakes of 6, 7, 8 and 9? Those games are infinitely better than 13 - from a story, combat, exploration perspective. Please, they'd sell millions.

6 is coming to mobiles with new graphics by the same people behind FFV/FFD, who also worked on previous FF remakes, some even worked on the originals, so there's that.
Going by previous entries, it's gonna sell super well too so no "HD" FFVI.
inb4rpgmakergrafix

Toth

I still do not see what 'victory' people have earned. Pettiness has reached critical mass.

hmmm.. are digital sales included in these numbers?

when FF XIII released, digital full price titles where basically non existent, but nowadays every game launches physical and digital on the same day and I'm sure quite a number of players purchased the LR FFXIII in the playstation store, especially in japan.
so the sales are higher for sure. the question is, how much?

I said it before as well: what role can DD sales play for this. Someone said they were not high before in Japan but I would love to see the PSN numbers for last week.

BumRush

6 is coming to mobiles with new graphics by the same people behind FFV/FFD, who also worked on previous FF remakes, some even worked on the originals, so there's that.
Going by previous entries, it's gonna sell super well too so no "HD" FFVI.
inb4rpgmakergrafix

Wait really? Was this confirmed???

LordJim

Why can't SE have a team start working on full HD remakes of 6, 7, 8 and 9? Those games are infinitely better than 13 - from a story, combat, exploration perspective. Please, they'd sell millions.
Cause then you play 7 and there is no squating contest, peeping in the house, crossdressing quest, hojo cross breed experiments, let's mosey, silly theater plays, snowboard minigames and tons of other little things.

Verendus said Final Fantasy VII remake is in development.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
...perfo?

No, no! That's not me!
Perfo!

Luukyk!

Toth!

Shinta!

I summon thee, Masters of Spinjutzu!

LEGO-Ninjago-Masters-of-Spinjitzu.jpg

Here I am!

The decline was expected but wait and see FFXV risking a bomba (not of this dimension) too. Final Fantasy and home consoles in Japan are destined to disappear. Only the west can save the franchise at this point or else it'll permantly move on cellphones with episodic games.

At that moment one thing remains for me: seppuku.

edit. that said for Mario the drop is even more dramatic, we should open a topic for that too stating Mario is dead!

Zabant

Now just imagine if they used the "talent" and money that they used on XII-2 and 3 to make a whole new game. Or hell, went with the obvious FFVII remake route. Hell at least then they only have to work to an already established template

We would have have KH3 by now as well,

More like, we'll be much closer to KH3.

You can shame a lot of us for wanting the game to fail, but we want it to fail for more reasons then hating the series. If it fails there won't be any more sequels to this terrible series. They won't sneak in another FFXIII-4,5,6, or whatever.

Tizoc

All you people hatin' on this game are gonna do a 180 when you end up actually buying the game and playing.

If GAF can trash Mass Effect 3 but then still vote for it to be among the top 10 GotY of 2012, this game can do that as well.

LuuKyK

:lol you guys are too much. Its good to see people happy in a XIII thread for a change though.

I really hope XV sucks and bombs so people can feel how hard it is to be a fan of something that everyone else hates in here.

It will be like a personal vendetta.

sobbing.gif
sobbing.gif
sobbing.gif

It won't happen though :(

elyetis

At least with it being the last ff13 iteration, i won't have to read again how I'm actually not waiting a game I'm preordering since no one want a sequel balahblahblah speak for other people.

It has finally happened. The epic conclusion to Lightning's saga launched in Japan last week and the first week sales are in. The results are disastrous, showing another 50% drop from the already low launch sales of previous entry.

http://www.4gamer.net/games/117/G011794/20131127061/

Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII (PS3) - 277,082

Comparison of launch week sales for the FFXIII series:

2009: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3) - 1,501,964
2011: Final Fantasy XIII-2 (PS3) - 524,217
2013: Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII (PS3) - 277,082

DAT DECLINE.

I don't think it was worth sacrificing that new IP/VP3 for the new Toriyama waifu game.

Celegus

Seriously... it's kind of gross that people are celebrating this. If their AAA games fail, that's only more fuel to the fire to continue making crap mobile games instead. Besides, is the game even bad? I think it looks pretty good, and the soundtrack is of Nier quality.

Mr. RHC

The decline was expected but wait and see FFXV risking a bomba (not of this dimension) too. Final Fantasy and home consoles in Japan are destined to disappear. Only the west can save the franchise at this point or else it'll permantly move on cellphones with episodic games.

At that moment one thing remains for me: seppuku.

edit. that said for Mario the drop is even more dramatic, we should open a topic for that too stating Mario is dead!

:lol you guys are too much. Its good to see people happy in a XIII thread for a change though.

I really hope XV sucks and bombs so people can feel how hard it is to be a fan of something that everyone else hates in here.

It will be like a personal vendetta.

sobbing.gif
sobbing.gif
sobbing.gif

It won't happen though :(

tumblr_mgy1jxEaEJ1s3awceo1_500.gif

Top Bottom