• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII launches in Japan with low sales of 277k

kurbaan

Banned
I am not sure if you're trying to say that's a good thing or a bad thing. I see it as a great thing. It shows people are still interested in FF thanks to FFXV.

although it shoes that the franchises still have pull ag the start of the last 2 generations it would have been in the top 3.

It's a very hard situation, especially when you see Nielsen listing in the most wanted next-gen games KH3 and FFXV only 9th and 10th position in the ranking. Battlefield, Uncharted, Just Dance and co. all before it. Bleah.

Well KH3 being low is a given, mainline sat out an entire generation.
If and thats if KH3 releases in 2015 that is 10 years since the release of KH2.
Its too soon to get hyped from the trailer + the series has been out of most peoples minds for too long now.

It's very bad because KH3 and FFXV should deserve 1st and 2nd spot. lol.

While I personally would've loved that, it's not a real expectation. Especially with the way SE has treated the FF franchise all these years with brand damaging games like XIV 1.0 and the XIII Saga.

It's only because of the strong showing of FINAL FANTASY XV, what it represents and the qualities gamers see out of it is the reason it got so high on that list.

although it shoes that the franchises still have pull ag the start of the last 2 generations it would have been in the top 3.

I don't think so. While they are very strong franchise and MY personal favorites I can accept their placement. It shows that it still has very strong pull and shows just how excited people are. They are the only RPG's in the top 10. WRPG, JRPG, Action JRPG or not this shows that a good showing CAN renew faith in franchises and get people excited.

Edit:
FYI: If LR was on the list it would've never made it on there. Just saying. ;)

It's very bad because KH3 and FFXV should deserve 1st and 2nd spot. lol.

I don't think it's bad, I would like FFXV and KH3 to be up there too, but you can't deny the fact that western market always gravitates towards FPS or games with violence in general, party or sports games. If the list was Japanese only, then I would be worried, but it accounts like 100 countries which most of are Western countries. People who play games in Asia either gravitate towards mobile gaming or MMORPGs, anyway.

Why is there a 30 page thread on this...

This game is a spinoff. 280k seems alright.

I'd assume because many people are struggling to understand why they kept making shitty games and didn't move on.

I know that I've felt that they pissed an entire generation away. FF13 was bad. FF13-2 was worse and FF13-3 is just why.gif

As if that was going to happen after a generation of mediocre FF entries and not a single console KH.

This is also a gauge from mainstream audiences. Of course they are going to choose stuff like CoD, BF and Madden. But the mere fact that FFXV and KH3 made the same list goes to show how well Nomura knows the RPG, JRPG and gaming markets.

I'd assume because many people are struggling to understand why they kept making shitty games and didn't move on.

I know that I've felt that they pissed an entire generation away. FF13 was bad. FF13-2 was worse and FF13-3 is just why.gif

Pretty much this. RPGs in general would've been a complete wash for me this gen if not for Lost Odyssey and Xenoblade.

Top Bottom