• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns starts to appear in Los Angeles

Nosgod

Banned
The vague notion that she went into crystal stasis and slept for 300-500 years. Averting being corrupted by Chaos Energy and keeping Etro's will and Serah's soul via memory alive.

And if the Fragments After proclaims Lightning is the Goddess Etro's successor and inheritor of power, breaking out of stasis should be a relatively simple task.
Wow that is......quite a story....

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Although used as a descriptor I do not think Valfodr's comment about GILGAMESH being a "Hero of the Void" should be taken lightly.

As far as I can see, the only version that may not be the same is FFIX(it was reference heavy). FFXI is speculative at best.(There are a couple similarities however)

MogCakes

Although used as a descriptor I do not think Valfodr's comment about GILGAMESH being a "Hero of the Void" should be taken lightly.

As far as I can see, the only version that may not be the same is FFIX(it was reference heavy). FFXI is speculative at best.(There are a couple similarities however)

I wonder what this means for the Coliseum in XIII-2 and its inhabitants. I suppose we'll see in successive FF titles.

HeelPower

Didn't dissidia 012 confirm he is actually the same person, traveling between worlds via portals in the Rift.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I wonder what this means for the Coliseum in XIII-2 and its inhabitants. I suppose we'll see in successive FF titles.

The Coliseum may be a safe haven from Chaos Energy. Even so GILGAMESH likely would not be affected either way.

I've speculated before that he might be Orience's version of a Cieth(of which in Orience there are none, he would be the first that lived anyway. His events let's say were one of a kind). He may even be of Undying class. But retains his humanity. Somehow.

More on GILGAMESH in Type 0 and my theories...

Be wary of spoilers of course.

In Type 0 it is revealed that he is born in Orience as the son of the King of Genbu. Because of his position he is scorned and distrusted by the populace of Genbu as a King of Genbu must be strong and demonstrate his power to be accepted by the warrior nation. In his childhood there was only one friend he ever had. Enkidu. It is implied they were close and did many things together, when the king died GILGAMESH was tested and succeeded in battle and was to become King. In the year 832 a coup d'tat occured, an assassination on the king's life, which Enkidu prevented but the cost was great...Enkidu's very life. GILGAMESH was overcome with rage and he wanted to kill his friend's murderers but was quelled by his dying friend's last words for him to spare them. In accordance he exiled these betrayer's from the nation. But Enkidu's death was a mighty blow to GILGAMESH'S mind and not even the Crystal could eliminate the memory of his friend, the only one he could trust, in this sense GILGAMESH was alone, stricken with grief he went on to rule Genbu not feeling anger towards the people of Genbu, guided solely by his friend's last words.

10 years later in 842, the Pax Codex Peace Treaty is broken by the Milites Empire and attacked Suzaku and was repelled, the next move was to attack Genbu directly and in a single stroke by dropping an Atomic Bomb on the nation known as the Ultima Bomb, except this one was bolstered by an L'cie making it far more powerful. In this instance Genbu is completely wiped from the face of Orience and GILGAMESH in the manga appears to be enveloped by the Bomb at point blank range. However, he miraculously survived, though it was not by mere chance it was due to the Armor of the King he wore, an armor forged by the Genbu Crystal's power that it is able to negate destructive power even that of Eidolons and the Ultima Bomb, of which Ultima means "The Strongest". When he awoke he would realize that he alone survived, he the King of Genbu, all his subjects annihilated with him as the survivor. A king of a dead nation. In his frustration and the later knowledge that the Genbu Crystal is drained of it's strength can be implied that GILGAMESH took his despair and frustration on the Crystal absorbing it's strength, combined with possible radiation from the Ultima Bomb slowly affecting his body. He goes mad, insane and loses his mind.

At the battle of the Big Bridge, he seemingly appears out of nowhere and annihilates Milites and Rubrum forces singlehandedly in a primitive rampage with the remnants of the crystal and GILGAMESH himself fighting for his very own body, a battle of the mind. Nothing could stand in his path, no magitek armor or eidolon, nor Class Zero could stop him. He spares Class Zero as he barely wins out in his mentality and regains his senses but not who he is and is disappointed with his foe's strength and leaves the battle. Alexander is summoned which completely decimates the Milites Empire's bulk of forces,

GILGAMESH is able to survive this onslaught of destruction again only through the armor but by time he reaches the capital he is severely weakened, he fights Machina only to regain his memories of who he was and fights Machina seeking to die, he is defeated but does not die. Instead it is implied he falls into the Rift by being consumed by his own power.

Here a transformation occurs and he becomes more monstrous, and by his own direction he begins seeking weapons based on what he remembers of what his people expected from him. From here on out he traveled Orience for weapons and continues his eternal quest throughout the FF series seeking worthy opponents and will take their weapons upon their defeat, never seeking to kill as to live by Enkidu's last words.

Later he travels to the different worlds and is placed in various roles, where sometimes he fights the heroes on equal footing but loses out or he may even surpass them but uses the Excalipoor or is shafted out in a comedic manner. Other situations are more serious as such in FF8, where he didn't mess around. And since he accompanies some of the heroes in certain installments it can be implied he helps defeat villains like Kefka, Ultimecia, the final boss in Revenant Wings, and Caius himself.

But the point is GILGAMESH truly discarded his past even if he was dealt a crappy hand of cards. He tries to make the best of it and tries to retain his humanity or what's left of it by adhering to his original home's customs and mannerisms. As that's all he has left. He is their sole living memory.

GILGAMESH The Undying?

A Cieth. A l'Cie who abandoned their calling, slowly turning into a mindless monster.

This would explain his questionable dialogue not making sense. The need to Destroy and Devour.

As I recall he wished to serve his country as opposed to the crystal and well that likely eventually pissed it off or he literally forgot and pissed it off anyway.

And a possible absorbtion of the crystal plus the Ultima Radiation may have boosted this process and gave birth to his multi armed form.

Judging by the Wikia on Cieth in relation to XIII, GILGY may qualify as one of the "Undying" as evidented by his durability and survivability.

"Mired in eternal sorrow and regret, and robbed of all free will, Cie'th are damned to wander the world unliving and undying, until their corrupted flesh at last can move no more. For Cie'th, there is no salvation."

So by rule of Orience L'cie and Cieth knowledge he is essentially in a way immortal. But not undead.

"Whereas normal Cie'th eventually cease their wanderings and turn to stone, the Undying rage on, fueled by a jealous hatred of all living things. Retaining the defiant strength of will they knew in life, they act on instinct, doling out death and destruction to all that dare cross their path."

Which this knowledge falls in line with GILGY challenging all who cross his path.

With this the sorrow of losing his only friend and being the sole survivor of his now dead kingdom coupled with the hatred of his people from childhood demanding his worthiness as a king is transformed into his power and willful motivation as a demigod being known as a cieth. Once a man, but now a monster. And as an undying, those with a refusal to die, always to act on instinct but to also fall victim to endless misfortune. Further prolonged by various future failures will only serve to strengthen him and prolong his strength and power. Making him one of the strongest beings near par of Shinryu and Omega itself.

Upon becoming a monster he loses all memory of who and what he once was except the rage and anger, and insatiable bloodlust that remains.

The more amazing thing is how he is able to stay in good spirits, which may point to memory loss.

The only weird thing about him being a Undying Cieth however is his self control to spare opponents by taking their weapons in exchange.

A form of mercy in relation to Benkei.

"Man who fights monsters should be wary, lest he become a monster himself..."

-------------

I have to assume it's a safe haven if
Shadow Haze Yeul, now termed as Cie Yeul
was purposely keeping Snow Villier's there. I am unsure on what this could correlate to.

-----------------------

Didn't dissidia 012 confirm he is actually the same person, traveling between worlds via portals in the Rift.

Pretty much. Also confirms based on interpretation that he survived the battle against Necrophobe.

Okay let me go ahead crush this ridiculous idea.

Type-0, XIII and Versus (XV). These titles are set in their own universes and share no commonalities other then the "mythos" which even then is ify (for Versus).

This idea that somehow Type-0, "XIII saga" and Versus are all connected and Versus takes place before/after XIII is not correct in the slightest. It's just a figment of XIII fans imaginations wanting to infect both titles with XIII's mediocrity.

MogCakes

Type-0, XIII and Versus (XV). These titles are set in their own universes and share no commonalities other then the "mythos" which even then is ify (for Versus).

This idea that somehow Type-0, "XIII saga" and Versus are all connected and Versus takes place before/after XIII is not correct in the slightest. It's just a figment of XIII fans imaginations wanting to infect both titles with XIII's mediocrity.

You haven't crushed anything, we're just speculating. I don't see how Type-0 or Versus could be infected for that matter.

jiggle

About to penetrate some bitches.
eQrAXv2.gif

Also, I better damn well get my VI HD/remake/port/whatever soon Squeenix.

after the Vmake
yuck no thanks

Voror

Didn't they actually state this was the whole idea when they announced the FNC in the first place? I seem to recall reading about it back when it was all first announced. So long ago...

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Didn't they actually state this was the whole idea when they announced the FNC in the first place? I seem to recall reading about it back when it was all first announced. So long ago...

Long ago they meant to have a series of titles separate from each other with a final installment bringing all those titles together for each of the core protagonists of said titles challenging the God of the FNC mythos across their respective dimensions.

I believe this idea was scrapped.

Emitan

Things could have changed since then. Agito/Type-0 changed a lot, Versus is nonexistant, and XIII wasn't received well. Also (XIII-2 spoiler)
Etro is dead which could screw things up for Versus if its actually connected

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Things could have changed since then. Agito/Type-0 changed a lot, Versus is nonexistant, and XIII wasn't received well. Also (XIII-2 spoiler)

Believe it or not Type 0 was originally a simple plot to fight against God.

Voror

Long ago they meant to have a series of titles separate from each other with a final installment bringing all those titles together for each of the core protagonists of said titles challenging the God of the FNC mythos across their respective dimensions.

I believe this idea was scrapped.

Oh, I'd never heard that particular bit before. That could have been pretty interesting actually if things had gone better. Ah, well.

I'm quite curious as to how Versus may end up being changed from what we've been shown if it does indeed appear at E3.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Oh, I'd never heard that particular bit before.

As I said it was very early stuff. Or it was worded differently and it went over my head.

Just like Haeresis used to be a title but got canned a LONG time ago.

It gets a reference as the Book of Haer in XIII or XIII-2 though.

Haeresis is nearly literal for Heresy in Latin.

Voror

It will most likely be at TGS IMO. Assuming news is coming out about it this year.

Hmm, possibly, but for some reason I feel it's important that it makes an appearance at E3 with the big announcements coming out there. It'd be a good opportunity to say the least.

As I said it was very early stuff. Or it was worded differently and it went over my head.

Just like Haeresis used to be a title but got canned a LONG time ago.

It gets a reference as the Book of Haer in XIII or XIII-2 though.

Haeresis is nearly literal for Heresy in Latin.

See, I'd actually never even heard about Haeresis until seeing it mentioned here a little while ago.

The FNC didn't quite work out as intended at all, did it?

Don't understand what? It's late here and I really don't feel like watching a 30m press conference from 7 years ago - I assume it's about Type-0(Agito XIII), XIII, and Versus being connected. Or part of the FNC mythos.

It's about how they are and aren't connected.

Basically:

-They are all under the FNC banner and Mythos.

-Other then that they have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

-Nomura is a boss.

-Toriyama was creepy even in 2006.

Edit:

If you want fast forward to around the 17 mark. That's when they start to talk about FNC.

MogCakes

Basically:

-Nomura is a boss.

Edit:

If you want fast forward to around the 17 mark. That's when they start to talk about FNC.

I skimmed :) but yeah, I know all this already. What we were doing is called speculation, and it's harmless. Sometimes it's nice to let your imagination go instead of adhering to an ultra strict paradigm. For that matter, I know just about everything about the mythos (especially now that I've read the factoids on the Fragments After).

Voror

Basically:

-Nomura is a boss.

Edit:

Heh.

It really is rather interesting looking at the respective styles each of them employ in the games they've made.

Is the only thing Nomura's been working on the past few years all the portable KH games?

I skimmed :) but yeah, I know all this already. What we were doing is called speculation, and it's harmless. Sometimes it's nice to let your imagination go instead of adhering to an ultra strict paradigm. For that matter, I know just about everything about the mythos (especially now that I've read the factoids on the Fragments After).

Oh I am all for that. That isn't a problem. But when someone says "I think that Versus takes place after Lightning Returns" I feel obligated to correct something like that. Personally, I hate when people suggest such a thing. I don't want Versus to be anything like XIII in the slightest and thankfully we know they aren't.

Edit:

Heh.

It really is rather interesting looking at the respective styles each of them employ in the games they've made.

Is the only thing Nomura's been working on the past few years all the portable KH games?

Since Kingdom Hearts II (2006) he has worked on:

Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII (2006)
[PlayStation 2] Character Designer

Dirge of Cerberus Lost Episode: Final Fantasy VII (2006)
[Mobile Phones] Character Designer

Final Fantasy V Advance (2006)
[Game Boy Advance] Monster Designer

The World Ends with You (2007)
[Nintendo DS] Creative Producer & Main Character Designer

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (2007)
[PlayStation Portable] Creative Producer & Character Designer

Kingdom Hearts coded (2008)
[Mobile Phones] Director, Concept Designer, Character Designer & Base Story

Dissidia: Final Fantasy (2008)

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days (2009)
[Nintendo DS] Director, Concept Designer, Character Designer & Base Story

Final Fantasy XIII (2009)
[PlayStation 3, Xbox 360] Main Character Designer

Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep (2010)
[PlayStation Portable] Director, Concept Designer, Character Designer & Base Story

Kingdom Hearts Re:coded (2010)
[Nintendo DS] Director, Concept Designer, Character Designer & Base Story

The 3rd Birthday (2010)
[PlayStation Portable] Creative producer & Character Designer

Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy (2011)

Final Fantasy Type-0 (2011)

Final Fantasy XIII-2 (2011)

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (2012)
[Nintendo 3DS] Creative Producer

Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance (2012)
[Nintendo 3DS] Director, Concept Designer, Character Designer & Base Story

Final Fantasy: All The Bravest (2013)
[iOS] Creative Producer & Original Concept

Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix (2013)
[PlayStation 3] Director, Concept Designer, Character Designer & Base Story

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (2013)

Final Fantasy Versus XIII (TBA)
[PlayStation 3] Director, Concept Designer, Character Designer & Base Story

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Didnt XIII-2 sell out its first shipmentin Japan?
Sounds like they had reasonable expectations there. They just overestimated in the west.

Don't stress yourself with numbers. If XIII-2 has been mentioned in that fiscal year as the major reason why they turned profits, you can be assured that XIII-2 sold really well. Lightning Returns announced soon after, is another proof that XIII series generates cash for them. At the end of the generation the XIII series will have sold more than 10ml copies. That's an huge achievement if you ask me. This is the generation of western shooters, western consoles, portables in japan only and death of jRPGs. Final Fantasy is still kicking asses.

Perfo

Fuck I'm ready!

edit. OT/ oh, new pics for X too. Did the sky always looked so beautiful in FFX or they're remaking it?

CorvoSol

You have no proof of this, though, do you? Some people like to suggest its the same universe, but different worlds, which would make sense. After all, Pulse and Lindzei seem to function identically between Type-0 and XIII. And I would not puff my chest so much when insisting things like Versus being FF15 at the same time.

Perfo

Best thing will be to see the face of Kagari when she'll notice that this year S-E is going to push the hell out of LR :p

It's still not Versus' time, except for the brief re-announcement I mean. LR will have all the attentions from the press.

Exentryk

Best thing will be to see the face of Kagari when she'll notice that this year S-E is going to push the hell out of LR :p

It's still not Versus' time, except for the brief re-announcement I mean. LR will have all the attentions from the press.

Once Versus is shown, it's all over for Lightning :p

zeopower6

Well, most people just want her saga to end already. I am looking forward to LR but damn, I want that story that started in XIII to wrap up already, ugh.

I assume they will probably do what was mentioned in a previous thread and include some sort of Versus teaser along with LR when it comes out. Wonder if that would help drive sales past XIII-2's.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

lol, except...

they're really not.

:0

:lol if you think the mainstream press cares about LR.

Perfo

lol, except...

they're really not.

:0

:lol if you think the mainstream press cares about LR.

They cared about that cheap product of XIII-2... I guess for the biggest release from 2009 they'll care a bit more, really.

dramatis

They cared about that cheap product of XIII-2... I guess for the biggest release from 2009 they'll care a bit more, really.
Nobody actually cared about 13-2 though. It certainly didn't get the hype of sequels from this generation, like Uncharted 2, Mass Effect 2, Gears 2, Asscreed 2 did.

There is a significant difference in marketing expenses between being on the Figueroa Hotel during E3 as opposed to some streetlamp banners. If you think in any way that Square is actually going to 'push the hell out of LR', you're mistaken.

LuuKyK

Nobody actually cared about 13-2 though. It certainly didn't get the hype of sequels from this generation, like Uncharted 2, Mass Effect 2, Gears 2, Asscreed 2 did.

There is a significant difference in marketing expenses between being on the Figueroa Hotel during E3 as opposed to some streetlamp banners. If you think in any way that Square is actually going to 'push the hell out of LR', you're mistaken.

Yes because all advertising SE is doing for the game will be restricted to E3 ads...

Midou

Did they? Cause I'm pretty sure XIII-2s' biggest difference in sales compared to first game was because the west didn't give a fuck.

Toth

You are talking about western titles though. Have any Japanese based games gotten any type of hype over here aside from maybe RE and MGR?

Perfo

XIII-2 had plenty of coverage from the press, events, tv shows, commercials ect. let's not joke here. LR will likely get more attentions and a more aggressive marketing campaign from S-E (again, it's their hot and only title for hottest season of the year.

Kunan

XIII-2 had plenty of coverage from the press, events, tv shows, commercials ect. let's not joke here. LR will likely get more attentions and a more aggressive marketing campaign from S-E (again, it's their hot and only title for hottest season of the year.
It will definitely get its time in the sun, but I suspect it may not make it to the big conferences like versus assuredly would. It won't be a weak push though. As you said, this is their big holiday title.

Since Kingdom Hearts II (2006) he has worked on:
(...)
Final Fantasy: All The Bravest (2013)
[iOS] Creative Producer & Original Concept
(...)
Oh god time to bail lol

Midou

We shall see. I'm pretty sure it will sell less than XIII-2 regardless, seems like a waste to push it too hard. People who played first 2 and want another game don't need much exposure to realize it's coming out.

They are better off spending their marketing budget pushing FFX/X-2 HD-makes because they know fans actually like those.

n00bsauce

Banned
You are talking about western titles though. Have any Japanese based games gotten any type of hype over here aside from maybe RE and MGR?

Monster Hunter 3
Ace Attorney
Harvest Moon Series
Disgaea Series

Valid point, there aren't a lot

Esura

Banned
We shall see. I'm pretty sure it will sell less than XIII-2 regardless, seems like a waste to push it too hard. People who played first 2 and want another game don't need much exposure to realize it's coming out.

They are better off spending their marketing budget pushing FFX/X-2 HD-makes because they know fans actually like those.

I don't think they're gonna put much effort into marketing a HD remaster regardless of fan demand. And its FFX, you don't need much exposure to realize it's coming out.

It would be stupid to not push LR to a decent degree since its their second major game after FFXIV.

Top Bottom