• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lightning Returns trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmypython

Just realized there is no damage points displayed every time you hit the enemy....which, Normura once said he was trying really hard to add into Versus as a Final Fantasy symbol

I....umm.... man, that looked bad.

I can't really believe the game is going to release looking like that.
Then again, unless this game is releasing fall/winter 2013, that doesn't leave them a ton of time to tighten it up, does it?

Hopefully this confirms that now, with FFXIV:ARR about to hit beta, all hands are on-deck to finish Versus XIII and Lightning Returns simply got a little graveyard shift team (soon to be Toriyama's future C-grade handheld only production team, hopefully) to develop it.

This just can't be the work of Production Department 1. Hopefully the bulk of the talent on those teams have wrapped up the bulk of VsXIII and have already moved on to next gen or something. There is just no way what we saw in that trailer, sans the CG, is final game build. I simply can't believe that right now. :/

Man, the concept art for this game looked gorgeous, too.

timshundo

It's pretty obvious that this is a trailer at some first-pass, texture-only environment work that was rushed to be put together for this trailer. If you're freaking out cuz it looks bad, it's supposed to. I do think it's stupid for Square to expect that people wouldn't realize that on their own tho.

Also keep in mind:

tumblr_maismdGggd1qkjbzro1_500.png

Look at how much of this map we saw in this trailer (hint: not a lot of it). They've got a lot of work ahead of them. I'm gonna guess the city was the most complete environment out of them all that was anywhere near close to being seen outside of the development team.

I have no doubts that they'll tighten up/make the creative changes needed to make the city environment less dreary. Nintendo did the same with Twilight Princess (The "Twilight" areas were originally all black and white as seen in the earliest trailers for the game. They later changed the twilight to be sort of an eternal dusk-looking environment with lots of setting-sun orange hues, much prettier).

Anyway: they have a whole year to finish up this game. I know games like Bioshock Infinite make 1 year seem short considering that game has been in development forEVER, but Lightning Returns is something Square isn't gonna be in dev hell with. They have a clear path as far as setting, character dev, and story go for this game. They've just gotta execute.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Execution huh? That's Toriyama's Achille's heel.

You can have top notch concepts all you want, but as this trailer has shown, it seems it's going to be difficult to pull off.

It's pretty obvious that this is a trailer at some first-pass, texture-only environment work that was rushed to be put together for this trailer. If you're freaking out cuz it looks bad, it's supposed to. I do think it's stupid for Square to expect that people wouldn't realize that on their own tho.

Also keep in mind:

Look at how much of this map we saw in this trailer (hint: not a lot of it). They've got a lot of work ahead of them. I'm gonna guess the city was the most complete environment out of them all that was anywhere near close to being seen outside of the development team.

I have no doubts that they'll tighten up/make the creative changes needed to make the city environment less dreary. Nintendo did the same with Twilight Princess (The "Twilight" areas were originally all black and white as seen in the earliest trailers for the game. They later changed the twilight to be sort of an eternal dusk-looking environment with lots of setting-sun orange hues, much prettier).

Anyway: they have a whole year to finish up this game. I know games like Bioshock Infinite make 1 year seem short considering that game has been in development forEVER, but Lightning Returns is something Square isn't gonna be in dev hell with. They have a clear path as far as setting, character dev, and story go for this game. They've just gotta execute.

The game isn't for next-gen and is out in 2013. Chances are it'll be out in <10 months, so they have considerably less than a year, realistically.

Also keep in mind:

Yeah, no. They aren't putting it out there expecting people to know its 'unfinished' and not representative of the final product..because thats not the purpose of trailers. I will be honestly surprised if that area doesn't look like shit when the game hits. Yeah, its still in development, but this does not look like great things are coming.

Cat

It's supposed to look bad? I don't think so.

Remember: since it's the third game, it'll be the most complete and POLISHED Final Fantasy game.

Also: Versus technology was implemented in LR.

/toriyama

Resilient

Also keep in mind:

Texture work can still be improved. Animations can still be improved. Placement of NPCs can also be improved. But what about stuff like the character models, the geometry, the animations (of other chars) etc etc. And, like you say, there are still many more environments we are yet to see. Taking all of this into consideration, what is the point of even releasing the trailer if there is still large amounts of work to do? I'm all for positive thinking but you're kidding yourself if you think it's gonna be any better than this when it releases. In fact, given the amount of work they still have to do on the other environments (which must be at the same level of dev if we didn't see them and this is the best they've got), it's probably going to look and play a lot worse.

I mean come on. How on earth can you justify massive, conveniently empty square battle arenas harking back to the PS1 days?

What are the chances that the gameplay footage we saw is part of the early build the press saw a few months ago?

Why would they hype up a trailer based on an early build? I think you'll find your answer.

LuuKyK

~ Welcome to the Lightning Returns Summary for the Uninformed and Uneducated! ~

&#991; Director: Motumo Toriyama;

&#991; Producer: Yoshinori Kitase;

&#991; Art Director: Isamu Kamikokuryo;

&#991; Character Designer: Tetsuya Nomura;

&#991; Music by: Masashi Hamauzu, Naoshi Mizuta and Mitsuto Suzuki;

&#991; Lightning Returns is a direct sequel to Final Fantasy XIII-2 and takes place hundreds of years in the future of the time in which XIII-2 happened.

&#991; Lightning is the only playable character.
As it should be.

&#991; The battle system is a modified version of the Command Synergy Battle System used in the previous games of the series with a focus on the action aspect of it. It will be explained better later in this same summary. Stay tuned.

&#991; The story is based on a countdown to the end of the world. As Lightning said, "these are the last thirteen days".

&#991;
The characters from Final Fantasy XIII-2 are not dead because the chaos spread in the end of the game rendering the world timeless, so they didn't even age and will most probably appear in this game too. In fact we already know Hope will be in it, based on the last trailer, and both Snow and Noel are strongly hinted to be in it too.

&#991; In XIII-2 the story focused on the people involvment with Etro, the goddess of death. This game will be about Bhunivelze (the god who created Pulse, Lindzei and Etro) and how the population relates with him (worship, etc).

&#991; The world where this game takes place is called Novus Partus and you can see its map here:

&#991; This world is a result of the collision of Gran Pulse and Valhalla. It is composed of four main regions: two city based and two natural landscapes, all of them surrounded by the Sea of Chaos. The keywords for the games design are: gothic, mechanical and fantasy.

&#991; There will be a new wheater system as well as a day/night cycle, where monsters become more agressive during the night time.

&#991; The largest city of Novus Partus is called Luxerion and is the one showed in the latest trailer. It features lots of clocks everywhere for the player to keep control over how much time left he has. Kamikokuryo (art director) said the concept of a dying world in which technology is slowly deteriorating was the foundation of the artwork. Motifs from 19th century London during the Industrial Revolution, Asia, and the Middle East will also appear in Novus Partus depending on the location. This is the main artwork for Luxerion:

&#991; There will be a monorail for the player to ride. It will take you to all the locations in Novus Partus. It was seen at the start of the newest trailer, but here is an artwork, in case you missed it:

&#991; The NPCS will follow the gothic style based on what we saw. Here are some examples:

&#991; Back to the gameplay and new battle system. Here I will quote myself to expose what I could presume from what I saw in the trailer:

:lol

Anyway, I think I got how the new ATB works.

Here is a gif:

tumblr_mfb8ua3FNJ1rmweewo1_500.gif

The top rectangle on the right represents the new "paradigms" or whatever they will be called. Here Lightning is on the Divinity one. I noticed there is also a Cerberus one, with different attacks/magics/abilities, which further proves my point.

So, you can see that while she is attacking the attack rectangle is popping up, well, thats because the player is pressing the respective button on the controller (duh!). Yeah, so, looks like its basically:

Triangle = Basic Magic
Circle = Physical Attack
X = Advanced Magic
Square = Guard

Now how many attacks can she do? The superior bar on the sword thing there reduces while she attacks so thats what will restrict the times you attack. Its likely to cool down after that. Its probably when you will have to doge the attacks or guard. The other bar is obviously her health.

I also noticed some little squares under the monster HP bar, I'm supposing that is going to be something similar to the stagger bar somehow. Maybe when its empty you will deal more damage, or be able to launch the enemy.

The only thing we don't know about is that circular thing with 10000 points...

&#991; On the trailer three "paradigms" were shown:

&#991; The little squares under the monsters name are actually for status spells like slow, fog, etc... You can clearly see that here they went from empty to full:

&#991; It also looks like the number of squares vary depending on the monster you are fightning, as noticed here:

&#991; Now changing the focus a bit we are talking about exploration. It was introduced in the trailer that you are able to explore the towns now via red objects that are all over Luxerion. You can jump, climb, and even POLE DANCE. This was clearly copied from Mirrors Edge, as a certain user would say, ahem... Anyway, take a look:

&#991; Talking about neogaf users, another fan favourite has returned! Guess who? Yes, the almighty Chocobocolina is back to wish you a fantabulous day!~ Say hi to your favourite chocobo cosplayer:

&#991; Also back are the mysterious floating ball treasures thing:

&#991; The trailer also featured two new monsters! See they are not recycling content, you bastards (sadly you want be able to capture them this time though t_t):

&#991; And this concludes this episode of the Lightning Returns Summary for the Uniformed and Uneducated. See you back soon, have a great day and may the Farron Goddess bless you!

ibdxWa4nEaSNaL.gif

I'm late but whatever. You are welcome.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The only thing I'm somewhat disappointed about going by this trailer is that the game isn't more action RPG-y, but seems to be more of a single player FFXIII.
Pretty much my disappointment as well. I didn't anticipate this at least. :|

Seeing the trailer again, I'm just... I dunno. What they wrote down on paper isn't exactly being executed in the way that I had anticipated that it'd be executed. It's just weird, because FF13 relied a lot on player synergy, and here, it feels kind of dull since you're limiting yourself to four attacks during battle and it doesn't seem like it allows for running around the enemy or cancelling your/the enemy's attacks or countering... If you're only allowed three armour swaps during battle, that's a little disappointing. I thought the armours would be full classes, but instead they seem to come with limited attacks (and perhaps the passive skills because I see Smite in there).

Shadow's Badass. He needs no outfit however his hover shoes are awesome.

The only game that Shadow was probably a decent playable character in was Sonic Adventure 2, and it should have ended there. It's too bad that Sega realized he was incredibly popular and they brought him back in Sonic Heroes despite dying in SA2 and having a decent ending in tha--...

The Sonic and FF comparisons just keep on rolling, don't they...

I wonder who FF's version of Trunks/Silver is going to be.

It is such pain to read through it. Each hate comments is a stab in my heart tbh, and will be remembered when the game launches.
It's just video games.

Don't take it so seriously. Stop. Take a break. Get away from the computer, eat some cake or something (srsly, I'm handmixing batter and it's a good outlet for stuff), and calm down, man.

The denial in this thread is mind boggling. Nobody releases a trailer for a game with "unfinished textures" or whatever, especially on an AAA game.

LuuKyK

Stopped reading at Sea of Chaos

Its official information. You can search in the final fantasy wikis if you don't believe me, they have the sources.

It's just video games.

Don't take it so seriously. Stop. Take a break. Get away from the computer, eat some cake or something (srsly, I'm handmixing batter and it's a good outlet for stuff), and calm down, man.

I was not being serious Schala, relax. :p

I'm mostly being funny whenever I talk so try not taking me so seriously. Of course that was not literal, I'm not even mad. As I replied to Kagari, I tried changing the subject back there, but it clearly failed. x_x

Protocol7

This... this is a joke right? The 3D engine, ok what we see of the town, the engine looks outdated... the NPCs... who... how can the QA/PR team say "ok let's release this, it's a perfect representation of what the game will be like! Woot!"... And the colors... brown... black... white... colorless... I don't know...

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Its official information. You can search in the final fantasy wikis if you don't believe me, they have the sources.

So can you talk about the rest of the world? Novus Partus looks very boring.

Let's be honest your "information" is a blatant attempt to defend a flop of a trailer. Let it go.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This is no OT, its just an analysis of the trailer plus basic information for the people who are not following the game. You know at least I'm being useful.
The trailer speaks for itself, though. It's not that people aren't getting it. It's just that some of the stuff they see isn't enticing at all.

Some of that might be the way the battle's handled.
Some of it might be because the game doesn't look great at all for them in terms of framerate and graphical quality.
Some of it might be the UI.
Some of it might be because of the cutscenes they showed and how the audience responded to it.

There are many factors at play here.

When you cut a trailer, you want it to be the best thing you can present to your audience regardless of whether or not the game is looking amazing right now. You're selling your product. You need to do a good job to entice potential customers by showing the best facets that your product currently has. This is basic marketing. SE didn't exactly do that with this trailer because they didn't pick and choose their aspects carefully, and what they're left with is something that demonstrates faults with their product that potential consumers easily pick up on. Even if it's a launch trailer, you want your audience to be captured immediately no matter what so they will be interested from the get-go. Admittedly, they do have second chances, but this trailer did not leave a good first impression, and that first impression is incredibly important (especially for those who don't want to give the product a second chance or those who were not enamoured with the quality of the product before).

Like... I don't want to be blunt, but you're really going out of your way to defend the trailer, and it's kind of interesting in that I wasn't expecting that.

LuuKyK

Someone needs to turn that clip of lightning putting on sunglasses into the new dealwithit.gif

iOYF1vPnsYjll.gif

The trailer speaks for itself, though. It's not that people aren't getting it. It's just that some of the stuff they see isn't enticing at all.

Some of it might be because the game doesn't look great at all for them in terms of framerate and graphical quality.
Some of it might be because of the cutscenes they showed and how the audience responded to it.

When you cut a trailer, you want it to be the best thing you can present to your audience regardless of whether or not the game is looking amazing right now. You're selling your product. You need to do a good job to entice potential customers by showing the best facets that your product currently has. This is basic marketing. SE didn't exactly do that with this trailer because they didn't pick and choose their aspects carefully, and what they're left with is something that demonstrates faults with their product that potential consumers easily pick up on. Even if it's a launch trailer, you want your audience to be captured immediately no matter what so they will be interested from the get-go. Admittedly, they do have second chances, but this trailer did not leave a good first impression, and that first impression is incredibly important (especially for those who don't want to give the product a second chance or those who were not enamoured with the quality of the product before).

Like... I don't want to be blunt, but you're really going out of your way to defend the trailer, and it's kind of interesting in that I wasn't expecting that.

But the only thing I did was describe it. Its only what I expect. :/ It was not meant to be offensive or something. Only to be easy for people who don't want to go after whats new and whats happening on wikis... they would find everything in a single place. :"|

LiK

Well said

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm usually fine with off the wall armor designs but the outfit Lightning is donning here is incredibly stupid looking, and even worse in motion.

I'm guessing this is really early because the town framerate was abysmal, but I'm surprised they even showed that segment considering that.

~ Welcome to the Lightning Returns Summary for the Uninformed and Uneducated! ~

&#991; Director: Motumo Toriyama;

&#991; Producer: Yoshinori Kitase;

&#991; Art Director: Isamu Kamikokuryo;

&#991; Character Designer: Tetsuya Nomura;

&#991; Music by: Masashi Hamauzu, Naoshi Mizuta and Mitsuto Suzuki;

&#991; Lightning Returns is a direct sequel to Final Fantasy XIII-2 and takes place hundreds of years in the future of the time in which XIII-2 happened.

&#991; Lightning is the only playable character.
As it should be.

&#991; The battle system is a modified version of the Command Synergy Battle System used in the previous games of the series with a focus on the action aspect of it. It will be explained better later in this same summary. Stay tuned.

&#991; The story is based on a countdown to the end of the world. As Lightning said, "these are the last thirteen days".

&#991;
The characters from Final Fantasy XIII-2 are not dead because the chaos spread in the end of the game rendering the world timeless, so they didn't even age and will most probably appear in this game too. In fact we already know Hope will be in it, based on the last trailer, and both Snow and Noel are strongly hinted to be in it too.

&#991; In XIII-2 the story focused on the people involvment with Etro, the goddess of death. This game will be about Bhunivelze (the god who created Pulse, Lindzei and Etro) and how the population relates with him (worship, etc).

&#991; The world where this game takes place is called Novus Partus and you can see its map here:

&#991; This world is a result of the collision of Gran Pulse and Valhalla. It is composed of four main regions: two city based and two natural landscapes, all of them surrounded by the Sea of Chaos. The keywords for the games design are: gothic, mechanical and fantasy.

&#991; There will be a new wheater system as well as a day/night cycle, where monsters become more agressive during the night time.

&#991; The largest city of Novus Partus is called Luxerion and is the one showed in the latest trailer. It features lots of clocks everywhere for the player to keep control over how much time left he has. Kamikokuryo (art director) said the concept of a dying world in which technology is slowly deteriorating was the foundation of the artwork. Motifs from 19th century London during the Industrial Revolution, Asia, and the Middle East will also appear in Novus Partus depending on the location. This is the main artwork for Luxerion:

&#991; There will be a monorail for the player to ride. It will take you to all the locations in Novus Partus. It was seen at the start of the newest trailer, but here is an artwork, in case you missed it:

&#991; The NPCS will follow the gothic style based on what we saw. Here are some examples:

&#991; Back to the gameplay and new battle system. Here I will quote myself to expose what I could presume from what I saw in the trailer:

&#991; On the trailer three "paradigms" were shown:

&#991; The little squares under the monsters name are actually for status spells like slow, fog, etc... You can clearly see that here they went from empty to full:

&#991; It also looks like the number of squares vary depending on the monster you are fightning, as noticed here:

&#991; Now changing the focus a bit we are talking about exploration. It was introduced in the trailer that you are able to explore the towns now via red objects that are all over Luxerion. You can jump, climb, and even POLE DANCE. This was clearly copied from Mirrors Edge, as a certain user would say, ahem... Anyway, take a look:

&#991; Talking about neogaf users, another fan favourite has returned! Guess who? Yes, the almighty Chocobocolina is back to wish you a fantabulous day!~ Say hi to your favourite chocobo cosplayer:

&#991; Also back are the mysterious floating ball treasures thing:

&#991; The trailer also featured two new monsters! See they are not recycling content, you bastards (sadly you want be able to capture them this time though t_t):

&#991; And this concludes this episode of the Lightning Returns Summary for the Uniformed and Uneducated. See you back soon, have a great day and may the Farron Goddess bless you!

ibdxWa4nEaSNaL.gif

I'm late but whatever. You are welcome.

Great post, LuuKyK.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

As they say, you only get one chance to make a first impression.

Also keep in mind:

It is not in any company's interests to reveal one of their flagship product by giving people the worst impressions of it. Seriously, stop kidding yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom