• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Like a Dragon: Ishin - Combat Demo, out NOW on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series S|X, and Steam!

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'll give it a shot this weekend probably. Always love demos.

I think everyone knows what to expect from Yakuza though.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
and Steam!
for once PC bros aren't getting cucked out of a demo, nice!

Noice Thats Nice GIF

Downloading as we speak.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Yeah bad news, another stutter mess. Everytime you use a heat action or a soldier card (which by the way, the UI for that occupies half of the screen) there's a stutter.

Hype deflated, will have to wait for patches and mods for this one.

Kacho

Yeah bad news, another stutter mess. Everytime you use a heat action or a soldier card (which by the way, the UI for that occupies half of the screen) there's a stutter.

Unbelievable. Upgraded my GPU at the worst time apparently. Been playing all new games on Xbox so I don’t have to be disappointed lol

TintoConCasera

Unbelievable. Upgraded my GPU at the worst time apparently. Been playing all new games on Xbox so I don’t have to be disappointed lol
Yeah... also the combat in this demo has left me kinda cold, ditching Dragon Engine for Unreal Engine has been a big mistake, imo.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

This is an Unreal Engine remake, was kinda expected to suffer the typical UE issues.

TintoConCasera

I told you that no dragon engine was a mistake.
It sure is a mistake. Hopefully they ditch this dumb idea and go back to using the DE.

This is an Unreal Engine remake, was kinda expected to suffer the typical UE issues.
Yeah but this one hurts even more since those devs have a very good engine of their own and still went the UE route for this remake. Lost Judgment looks and runs great on my system, meanwhile this demo ran kinda like shit at times while looking way worse.

Gun and sword style feels amazing. If you want to stay away from enemies you can just use gun style then run away and right bumper will auto target enemies and adjust the camera at the same time so you can just shoot. That strategy doesn't work when there are hoards of enemies running at you though.

JaksGhost

What is up with Playstation and paid demos? I had to pay for Forspoken demo and here as well? It is only 0,25 cents but still.
You might want to specify where you're downloading from because in the US of A it's free like all other standalone demos.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
You might want to specify where you're downloading from because in the US of A it's free like all other standalone demos.
Germany here. Only happening with ps5. Never seen on ps4 and on xbox. Interesting that it's probably not worldwide then.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

SkylineRKR

Yeah this is a day one. I like the different styles with swords, guns, swords and guns, melee.. and the cards that give abilities. Some are pretty sick.

Its a Samurai game, with yakuza heat moves and other OTT shit. Whats not to like?

Reactions: Isa

Thief1987

Didn't like it at all. If this demo is representative of the full game than it's immediate skip. Combat is slow, clunky, weightless and have zero impact. I think it's a huge downgrade from the Dragon Engine games. Animations also looks weird and stiff. Camera which stuck in objects and refuse to move is atrocious too. I don't know for me it's a big letdown and seems like one game less to play. Thanks for the demo though

Last edited:

mxbison

Germany here. Only happening with ps5. Never seen on ps4 and on xbox. Interesting that it's probably not worldwide then.

Some weird law thing about games with 18+ or no age rating (demos often don't have one) not being allowed as free downloads.

It's supposed to make sure that kids using a family account without payment options can't download those games.

You should be able to make an account for a different country and download it there for free though.

Last edited:

Labadal

Cool! I will download on PS5. Some of the comments are making me a bit worried, so I'll gave to see for myself.

Thief1987

ok, yeah, that definitely feels like a PS3 era game with shinier graphics.

They should have had an open segment instead of these long winded linear combat segments.

this is a bad demo and it will put people off of the game more.
Nah, ps3 Yakuza games feel much better to play. This thing could be even worse than that turn-based abomination which i greatly despise.

TintoConCasera

The Way of the Samurai games just went on sale on Steam. Coincidence?

ok, yeah, that definitely feels like a PS3 era game with shinier graphics.

They should have had an open segment instead of these long winded linear combat segments.

this is a bad demo and it will put people off of the game more.
I went from day 1 to wait for a sale. The demo really left me cold.

TintoConCasera

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to tell the PC bros playing this that it runs much better when forcing DX11.

Just put -d3d11 on the launch options.

Reactions: RNG

Labadal

I played the demo, and I enjoyed it. Played on PS5. The combat does lack some weight, but the Dualsense vibrations makes up for it a little bit. It did have the PS3 combat feel to it, but it doesn't bother me. The styles were fun to switch around, and I was doing combos and heat moves like a mad man.

Despite liking what I played, and keeping my pre-order, the demo itself should have been different. Offer start of the game up to a certain point, to make players get a feel for the whole package.

This was an... interesting demo.

Honestly, I personally would have preferred some *little* bit of tutorial info other than the splash screen. I played through the first stage in this demo until I got to the guy with the sledgehammer. He hit me into a combo, and despite pressing the dodge button 800 times, was locked into all however-many blows, knocked to the ground... and it still felt eternally sluggish to get up. There's probably some finesse and technique/advice I don't know, but I don't know... it just didn't feel good.

It's also possible the overall feel gets better with skills or something unlocked in the actual game, since I'm completely unfamiliar with it.

Either way, I'm thankful for the demo- maybe I'll come back to it some other time

Last edited:
Top Bottom