• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limbo of the Lost stole from Oblivion, Morrowind, UT2K4, Diablo, Silent Hill, more?

Mash

Great Rumbler said:
I know I've heard that song from some movie before, but I'm not sure what [the song that plays through most of the video].

It's 'O Fortuna' and I'd be entirely unsurprised if their advertisement version was copyrighted material.

SappYoda

busted.png

Vorador

Banned
morningbus said:
We do know that the same three names are attached to both. Whether the people who made the current LoL abducted and killed the original LoL creators and assumed their identities is up for debate.

Are you sure? The guy who posted on the Wintermute forums didn't know much about coding. Or maybe the original team was much bigger, with people who actually had some skills.

Mato

I doubt there was a real, legit, dev team making this, it's probably just 2-3 teens doing their thing and pitching it to a publisher. It's so unprofessional and blatant it's about as funny as 5 africans emailing and posing as americans, trying to steal your credit card number.

Baker

Banned
Mato said:
I doubt there was a team making this, it's probably just 2-3 teens doing their thing and pitching it to a publisher. It's so unprofessional and blatant it's about as funny as 5 africans emailing and posing as americans, trying to steal your credit card number.

PD1403578_l.jpg

MrHicks

Banned
ok if ALL companies that got stuff stolen started a lawsuit would the lives of those guys be virtually over?

will they become bums?
how can they possible get out of this in semi decent shape:lol

Superfrog

Some more information on the "history" of Tri-Logik Studios/Majestic Studios:

http://hol.abime.net/hol_search.php?N_ref_developer=81
Established in the early 1990s by Steve Bovis and Tim Croucher. Initially, they set-out to rejuvenate the graphical text adventure genre on the Atari ST, but found development time to be lengthy and coders hard to attract to the genre. With the Atari ST market ailing, they decided to shelve their only major title in development in LIMBO OF THE LOST.

In 1995, they resurrected the project on the Amiga and morphed the game into a point 'n' click adventure. Things began to immediately look up. Laurence Francis joined the project as musician & puzzle designer and an Amiga 500 demo and VHS video intro were assembled, which netted them a publishing contract with Rasputin. The demo was shown at the ECTS show in London and numerous magazines previewed artwork and screenshots from the game. Game development was shifted to the A1200 and CD32, and a coverdisc demo was released on CD32 Gamer magazine. Tri-Logik's long awaited vision was finally going to be published, or so they thought. Unfortunately, history would repeat itself and, like the Atari ST version, the game did not see the light of day on the A1200/CD32 thanks to the dying Amiga market. This spelt the end of not only the Amiga release, but also Tri-Logik Studios. The tale did not end there, however. In 2003, Tri-Logik Studios reformed as Majestic Studios and in Feb 2006 released LIMBO OF THE LOST for PC.

Here's an interview with Steve Bovis (back in August 2007):

http://www.adventure-treff.de/artikel/interviews.php?id=51&lang=eng
"In the end all will be entertained. No one who plays this game and finishes it will not say they have not been on a journey... an adventure! Like all good movies, you do find yourself talking about the experience of the game, this character, this puzzle, this level etc... this is what made adventure games great in the 80's and I hope we have captured that."

Also:

rtkmfr.jpg

I'm kinda surprised that nobody's found any obvious theft in the Amiga version. For how much blatant thievery is going on in the PC version, you'd think somebody would have found something by now.

Frankly, though, this whole thing is fascinating, from development history to the whole "spot the stolen stuff!" meta-game. I love internet detective work.

Torquill

Well, I know a fag in the UK is something quite different than what it means in the US...perhaps we have the same issue here?

Wired

Most amazing non-OT thread of the year?

Been glued to this thread all day, is it accurate to assume there's nothing in the game that is NOT stolen at this point?

Zenith

Banned
Torquill said:
Well, I know a fag in the UK is something quite different than what it means in the US...perhaps we have the same issue here?

a fag can have two different menaings but faggot has only one (excluding the food of course).

Alien Bob said:

maybe "in" the 16th century but certainly not in recent times. no one has ever used it in contemporary culture to mean an old woman.

Check out these awesome review quotes:

"Draws from the best of the best."

"It's like Oblivion meets Morrowind meets Diablo II meets Painkiller meets Unreal Tournament 2003 meets Enclave meets Unreal Tournament 2004 meets Black & White meets Thief: Deadly Shadows meets Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines meets Return to Castle Wolfenstein meets World of Warcraft."

"Our frothing demand for this game increases."

"There's still some placeholder art but we're sure the developer will have that squared away by release."

Xabora

Wonderdog said:
eBay. But hurry, the buyer I got it from only had a couple left.
Bah, scratch that, looks like it's gone now.
Already got mine from Amazon at like 4am this morning.

nyong

Banned
Xabora said:
Already got mine from Amazon at like 4am this morning.

I really need to track down a second copy of this as I've decided I must play it. I'm betting that nearly every piece of art is directly lifted or altered from some other original source. Spotting where it came from should be a blast. Someone needs to make a walkthrough of this game with screenshot comparisons of where it came from.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Xabora said:
Wow...

Not only are they fucked.
But they are Disney FUCKED! :lol

Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z1XpfbuZOA - 0:35

EDIT: Wiki is saying Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End so it might be either or.

Capped from the Video on FTP
vlcsnap489754ru2.png

Looks like they are trying to HIDE something in this pic. [Look at the bars on the top and bottom]
vlcsnap490530pw2.png

YAY OCD!

I believe that's Master and Commander. Hated that fucking movie.

Kirk

This is the most entertaining thread I've come across in a while. :) I don't want it to stop!

This is a project that seems to have been conceived and executed by teenagers some time about 8 years ago. Those concept drawings look like the stuff I drew in my friend's basement as I played D&D. The only difference here is that a) they did it in their middle age and b) they actually finished it.

And of course the amazing part is that they actually got a publishing deal and got the game put on physical media. I'd like to hear the story behind how that happened. Nobody would have ever heard of it otherwise. I'm sure there are tons of other similar projects people have made in their spare time, it's just that most of them never get finished and none of them would dream of being published.

If it was just that "making of" trailer I'd be inclined to say this was a great joke, but there's just too much there to deny that this is horribly, horribly real.

pakkit

Banned
Crushed lives!

Assuming it's the same Crushed we know and love,
here's his entry into the rockpapershotgun contest.

2u7wrp2.jpg

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I can't wait for the resurgence of this thread when the "developers" start talking.

I mean, what could possibly be their excuse?

I really like this line from the only LOL review:

All of the chapters though feel as though they have been created by different people.

How about, "The entire game feels as though it was created by different people."

I just...I can't even...what can you say, except, "Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffft :lol :lol :lol :lol "?

Torquill said:
This thread feels like the climax of Act 1 of the internet.

Well said.

At least one of these guys will probably kill himself once the lawsuits start rolling in.

Top Bottom