• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limbo of the Lost stole from Oblivion, Morrowind, UT2K4, Diablo, Silent Hill, more?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
chickensoup said:
Does the next screen tell you to "Purge your thoughts of the life you knew before"? Or maybe "Darkness stirs and wakes imagination"?

What game is that?

dose said:
Oh fuck. I've just found proof that some of the Amiga stuff was ripped off too :lol :lol :lol
I thought I recognised something... give me 15 and I'll sort out a gif...

Edit: Here we go... anyone remember Guy Spy on the Amiga?
Check out that background....

33az3bm.gif

Wow... even back then the guy was copying backgrounds. :)

Haeleos

While the developers of the Limbo of the Lost are dumbshits for thinking they'd get away with this, some of these comparisons are a little farfetched. The fun is over, everyone's just pulling at straws now.

dose said:
Oh fuck. I've just found proof that some of the Amiga stuff was ripped off too :lol :lol :lol

33az3bm.gif

:lol :lol Wow! The plot thickens!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Haeleos said:
While the developers of the Limbo of the Lost are dumbshits for thinking they'd get away with this, some of these comparisons are a little farfetched. The fun is over, everyone's just pulling at straws now.
It's like an online version of Where's Waldo, but with copyrighted images instead of a guy in a striped shirt.

NekoFever

Xabora said:
Here comes WETA!
I've been reading through this thread and when I got to that part I looked at it and was sort of giving it the benefit of the doubt, thinking that a hooded ghost isn't necessarily a Nazgul.

And then I scrolled down :lol

neight

Banned
dose said:

33az3bm.gif
This is pulling at straws now.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
dose said:

33az3bm.gif

Could you make another gif using this screenshot?

4305_screen12.png

It shows a little more background than the other one.

Despite there being a few differences between the shots, there are way more similarities than to be just a coincidence.

Xzior

morningbus said:

4305_screen12.png

It shows a little more background than the other one.

Despite there being a few differences between the shots, there are way more similarities than to be just a coincidence.
Have to agree, they just altered the background a little, but it's the same...

This is just getting better and better...

Brannon

haowan said:
That is completely and utterly unfair. You don't know what the fuck most game developers look like, clearly, or people in their middle 40s from Kent for that matter.

But they stole everything else, why not steal Itagaki's look? It's plausible!

hitoshi

Brannon said:
But they stole everything else, why not steal Itagaki's look? It's plausible!

Because THREE leather jackets and fancy glasses are too expensive - they could have bought one with excellent game sales but GAF/the i-don't-know-how-it's-called-games-magazine-which-brought-up-this-hysteria ruined it all. Shame on you!

Now they have to stick to used clothes. They are not going to look cool on conventions like Game Developers Conference. By the way, they MUST be given a panel next year, I would like to hear what is the best tactic to steal assets from AAA games. And they have to announce a sequel too - Resistance 2 and all of that coming, new raw materiel inbound!

dose

morningbus said:
No problem. It's now even clearer that it is a complete ripoff.

33coqs4.gif

@neight, how can you NOT see the lines are in exactly the same places??

nyong

Banned
dose said:
No problem. It's now even clearer that it is a complete ripoff.

33coqs4.gif

@neight, how can you NOT see the lines are in exactly the same places??

Stick your mouse cursor where any of the blocks join and you'll see they match up perfectly. At least he tried to mask it here.

Skeyser

dose said:

33az3bm.gif

How in hell did you find this?

:lol :lol

Xabora

dose said:

33az3bm.gif
33coqs4.gif
This... just.... doesn't... want... to... end... O_O

Its like watching the Cast from LOST try to Limbo on the Island again.

dose

Skeyser said:
How in hell did you find this?

:lol :lol
Haha, well, I saw the Limbo screen and it just clicked that I'd seen the background before somewhere. Then I remembered the Amiga Guy Spy demo I'd played years ago. It was as frustrating as hell but I played it a hell of a lot.
Little did I know it would come in handy in the future :D

Xater

Totally missed this thread. This is incredible.

:lol :lol :lol They even ripped of background when it was in development for the Amiga.

They could've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those pesky GAF detectives! Seriously, they should've just google'd bgs, instead of taking from popular recognizable titles. That shit might fly in the days of Amiga, but certainly not in the Internet Age.

HELLFISH

dose said:
Haha, well, I saw the Limbo screen and it just clicked that I'd seen the background before somewhere. Then I remembered the Amiga Guy Spy demo I'd played years ago. It was as frustrating as hell but I played it a hell of a lot.
Little did I know it would come in handy in the future :D

Jezuz... remembering a background from an obscure Amiga demo from over a decade ago? I bow to your superior brain capacity.

This is the most epic thread I have ever read. Just... incredible. WOW. I doubt we'll ever hear anything, but I'd love a response from these jokers.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
HELLFISH said:
Jezuz... remembering a background from an obscure Amiga demo from over a decade ago? I bow to your superior brain capacity.

This is the most epic thread I have ever read. Just... incredible. WOW. I doubt we'll ever hear anything, but I'd love a response from these jokers.
I imagine their response would be wide eyes and jazz hands, like people do in the movies before being hit by a train.

Vorador

Banned
Sorry for the bump, but a friend of mine got his copy just this morning

lol-2.jpg

The quotes in the cover are so incredibly shameless :lol he says he's "afraid" of opening it just yet. :lol

Mallika

Wired said:
if you zoom in you can sort of make out:
Justadventure.com
T-Something.co.uk???
Gameboomers.com

I squinted and made out that the T one was twitchy.co.uk ... rather a misnomer, given that the site is all about adventure games. Heh.

Wired

Mallika said:
I squinted and made out that the T one was twitchy.co.uk ... rather a misnomer, given that the site is all about adventure games. Heh.

Yeah I can totally see it now, weird :)

Vorador

Banned
The thing i'm most amazed is that how in the hell no one of those reviewers didn't noticed the massive amount of stolen assets from high-profile games.

r09

Vorador said:
Sorry for the bump, but a friend of mine got his copy just this morning

The quotes in the cover are so incredibly shameless :lol he says he's "afraid" of opening it just yet. :lol

You didn't have to, my GAF account got aproved recently. :D

This is the stuff of legends, seriously. The cutscenes remind me of the Zelda CD-i games, but with horrible 3D models, which is even worse.

Wired

Vorador said:
The thing i'm most amazed is that how in the hell no one of those reviewers didn't noticed the massive amount of stolen assets from high-profile games.

Well, they are adventure gamers, let's be honest here those people are stuck back in 1995 and probably sneer at any game deviating from the adventure formula. So you see it's completely understandable that they missed it.

Mallika

TheOneGuy said:
Damn you, Mallika.
:lol Sorry!

Vorador said:
I'm thinking that there are some people who stick only to the adventure game genre. I mean, the woman who reviewed the game for JustAdventure.com said in a forum thread that she'd considered picking up Oblivion but never did.

Edit:
Well, they are adventure gamers, let's be honest here those people are stuck back in 1995 and probably sneer at any game deviating from the adventure formula.
Hey now, don't go lumping everybody who likes adventure games into that group. I know it's 1998! ;)

Vorador

Banned
r09 said:
You didn't have to, my GAF account got aproved recently. :D

This is the stuff of legends, seriously. The cutscenes remind me of the Zelda CD-i games, but with horrible 3D models, which is even worse.

Ok, welcome here btw. :D

It has the same horrible voiceover than Zelda CD-i?. If yes, i might get a copy myself like you did, just for the lulz.

Wired

Mallika said:
Hey now, don't go lumping everybody who likes adventure games into that group. I know it's 1998! ;)

:lol I know I know, I was exaggerating a bit to get the point across.

Top Bottom