• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limbo of the Lost stole from Oblivion, Morrowind, UT2K4, Diablo, Silent Hill, more?

THe money started to come in. Thankfully I had paid for my holiday from the first royalty payments - and if I can find some work here I might actually stay here. I think my coding skills and graphical knowledge could be some use here in South America.

If this is the real guy, then this is pure gold :lol

Wizpig

At first I thought this was made the way it is because the developers wanted to "honor" old games, but nope, it's fucking plagiarism. :lol

Pure gold.

dose said:
Oh fuck. I've just found proof that some of the Amiga stuff was ripped off too :lol :lol :lol
I thought I recognised something... give me 15 and I'll sort out a gif...

Edit: Here we go... anyone remember Guy Spy on the Amiga?
Check out that background....

33az3bm.gif

totally fucking hilarious.

is there a tome somewhere, aside from this thread, where all the rip-offs are being cataloged?

I swear this whole thing has been like an insane script for a soap opera. The plagiarism, the interviews, the scams on MBs, the backlash, and what seems like a never ending list of games and movies with stolen assets. This whole thing has been ridiculously entertaining and I expect a class action lawsuit soon from all the companies that were ripped off. :lol

bgudna said:
also add Beetlejuice to the list! :D
beetle1.jpg

beetle2.jpg

I just simply have no words for this shit.

At what point does stealing all this shit become more of a hassle then just being slightly creative?

It reminds me of teachers that tell their students "If you spent as much time studying as you do making cheatsheets, you'd do just as well"...I mean, fuck!

I sorta wish I had bought this....surely, this is the greatest act of plagiarism gaming will ever see.....:lol

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Liara T'Soni said:
I sorta wish I had bought this....surely, this is the greatest act of plagiarism gaming will ever see.....:lol

I'll go one above that and say it's the greatest act of plagiarism from any media of the last half century.

Xabora

FlyinJ said:
I'll go one above that and say it's the greatest act of plagiarism from any media of the last half century.
I'm expecting the Fox News ticker or the Logo to pop up sometime.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Warm Machine said:
So is it screenshots they took and then deployed as art or actual 3d models?

Screencapped the image, made it the background, slapped a 3d poser guy that walks around in front of a static back ground. It's a point and click adventure like the early lucasarts games. But shittier.

The composer has put out a press release over on the GamesRadar UK forum:

http://forum.gamesradar.com/viewtopic.php?t=120397

Composers announcement about Limbo of the Lost
June 20th 2008, in Berlin, Germany

Following the controversy currently revolving around Limbo of the Lost pc game, released by Majestic Studios, UK, I feel a comment from my part is necessary as this situation has all the potential to make irreversible damage to my name as composer and thus hinder my future career opportunities. Furthermore, I have seen my name mentioned in several internet discussion forums and there has been speculation about if the game contains stolen music but so far that has not been proven one way or another. Majestic Studios project leader Steve Bovis has assured me that there isn't any stolen music in the game.

I composed all the game level background music you hear in the game itself, as well as most of the animated features included on the bonus DVD. My music was also used in many of the game trailers and features, easily found online. In addition to my music, there are also pieces not made by myself. On those I can not comment but I can 100% guarantee everything I was involved in and I have the original project files to prove that.

As a further proof, I uploaded some of the pieces on my demo site, accessible at http://chaosresearch.googlepages.com

I worked on the music for Limbo of the Lost game from May 2006 to December 2006 as an outsourcer, so I was never a part of Majestic Studios core team. I also don't have any information regarding the specifics of the creation process of the game. The stolen graphical assets were as much a shock to me than to anyone else and I hope there will be some explanation to that from Majestic Studios. At the moment they are the only ones who know how or why this happened.

I am only credited for my music in the .pdf manual of the game.

Sincerely,
Marko Hautamäki, composer

Egg Shen

I hope the composer and anyone else like him that were lured into making this title can clear their names of this.

THe money started to come in. Thankfully I had paid for my holiday from the first royalty payments - and if I can find some work here I might actually stay here. I think my coding skills and graphical knowledge could be some use here in South America.
This is just a clusterfuck of biblical proportions. If this is really Bovis posting in from wherever he's hiding in SA, this is turning out to be something I'd expect to see in a film like King of Kong. I can see it now...

PWNED: An Epic Fail
"How Three Friends and One Game Stole the World(s)"

Until that magical moment happens, though, this thread and the wiki are the next best thing in following this weird saga. Whenever I think it can't get worse, someone eventually comes up with something new to show off. I mean...Beetlejuice?!

Skeyser

From Gamesradar:

If you had told me 1 month ago that my game would be slashdotted, and I would be in the Daily Telegraph cause of this game I would of laughed at you.

It seems pretty obvious that both I and my game seem to be in demand right now, so despite perhaps being famous and talked about for maybe wrong reasons I am still happy to be famous and talked about.

I have already seen people suggesting the idea of a Hollywood movie about my story, so if any Hollywood execs or people with movie connections are reading I suggest you PM me.

Can't be real :lol :lol

And

Greengeacko said:
Oh and by the way, the hate mail is from www.neogaf.com , since they were the first to find your e-mail.

SteveBovis said:
My solicitors have been contacted regarding this. The admins/moderators of that site need to be aware in their complicency in not deleting that address has led to some quite nasty threats against me. If I can prosecute them I will, as death-threats, threats and general harassment of people is a far more serious offence than producing something that looks a bit similar to something else.

http://forum.gamesradar.com/viewtopic.php?t=120121&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=420

Nah, that's not the real Steve Bovis. The composer emailed the real one to check if it was him on the forum, but it wasn't. It's just someone pretending to be him.

Wizpig

The real Bovis writes in a very bad-written English, unlike that fake, so you can notice it from that too.

I got to say i feel like i'm part of some deep investigative shit now, with all this search for Bovis and the "stolen games"... i'm not gonna sleep tonight. :lol

Best game ever.
- and with best game i mean the search for the original assets, not the LoL game

Mashing

I just have to say one thing. This guy is a goddamned marketing genius. Look at all the publicity and hype he's getting now (positive or negative, it doesn't matter). Some people who would have never given the game as second glance are now buying copies.

Btw, is it just me or does the main character look exactly like Edward, Prince of Wales from Braveheart? (not the closeups though)

Mash

Mashing said:
I just have to say one thing. This guy is a goddamned marketing genius. Look at all the publicity and hype he's getting now (positive or negative, it doesn't matter). Some people who would have never given the game as second glance are now buying copies.

Btw, is it just me or does the main character look exactly like Edward, Prince of Wales from Braveheart? (not the closeups though)

He does actually yeah, some of us earlier thought he looked a lot like the character Ed Norton plays in The Illusionist too

Zenith

Banned
Mashing said:

On the other hand, he'll never work in the industry again.

raYne

Since people actually managed to pick up copies, I'm disappointed that this thread doesn't have a lot more comparison pics. :/

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
raYne said:
Since people actually managed to pick up copies, I'm disappointed that this thread doesn't have a lot more comparison pics. :/
Everyone's too busy playing this marvel.

RodmanSan

He is not the real Steve Bovis...from Gamesradar :

CONFESSION: (just like the best detective movies)

I've never met Steve Bovis, I've never even played LOTL or even downloaded a copy. I've never been to these forums, and the last time I ever had anything to do with Future Publishing was when I was an Amiga Format subscriber.

All I've seen is reviews of the game and screenshots, and to be quite frank it sucks. I am a programmer myself, and these guys are a total disgrace to the industry and looking at some of his posted code on that point-click forum it's clear the guy can code about as well as he can Photoshop text labels onto (stolen) rounded surfaces. I'm talking generic things here (as I don't know the language) - but it's clear when he's using nested IF's he should think about Switchs.. and his post where he got confused about brackets really showed his incompetence.

He (and his 2 equally clueless drinking partners) are a disgrace to Britain, and to the British games industry. They've ripped people off by supplying a crap product and they've lied to people. So no remorse here - if this was a 16 year old kid I might of thought differently. These were 3 grown men who should of known better.

Well, yesterday where I am it was raining all day (I am told it is a rare occurance this time of year as it normally rains in the summer) so there was nowhere to go and nothing to do.

I picked up on this Steve Bovis story, and thought I'd run with it as a kind of thing to do when one is immensley bored, feeling a little rough, and had been boring their friends back home on MSN all day with holiday stories so didn't have much else to do.

It was supposed to be a 1 or 2 hour thing, but I kind of enjoyed it.

I now appreciate how Steve managed to spend 15 years involved in this crappy piece of game, which even if you discount the graphics is still absolute crap (has anyone followed the walkthrough? HAHAHAHA). I managed to spend around 15 hours impersonating him so it's easy to get emotionally tied no matter how pointless and ultimately crap it is.

So there you go.... I wasted my time, you all wasted your time, but it was fun while it lasted - wasn't it?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
RodmanSan said:
He is not the real Steve Bovis...from Gamesradar :

CONFESSION: (just like the best detective movies)

I've never met Steve Bovis, I've never even played LOTL or even downloaded a copy. I've never been to these forums, and the last time I ever had anything to do with Future Publishing was when I was an Amiga Format subscriber.

All I've seen is reviews of the game and screenshots, and to be quite frank it sucks. I am a programmer myself, and these guys are a total disgrace to the industry and looking at some of his posted code on that point-click forum it's clear the guy can code about as well as he can Photoshop text labels onto (stolen) rounded surfaces. I'm talking generic things here (as I don't know the language) - but it's clear when he's using nested IF's he should think about Switchs.. and his post where he got confused about brackets really showed his incompetence.

He (and his 2 equally clueless drinking partners) are a disgrace to Britain, and to the British games industry. They've ripped people off by supplying a crap product and they've lied to people. So no remorse here - if this was a 16 year old kid I might of thought differently. These were 3 grown men who should of known better.

Well, yesterday where I am it was raining all day (I am told it is a rare occurance this time of year as it normally rains in the summer) so there was nowhere to go and nothing to do.

I picked up on this Steve Bovis story, and thought I'd run with it as a kind of thing to do when one is immensley bored, feeling a little rough, and had been boring their friends back home on MSN all day with holiday stories so didn't have much else to do.

It was supposed to be a 1 or 2 hour thing, but I kind of enjoyed it.

I now appreciate how Steve managed to spend 15 years involved in this crappy piece of game, which even if you discount the graphics is still absolute crap (has anyone followed the walkthrough? HAHAHAHA). I managed to spend around 15 hours impersonating him so it's easy to get emotionally tied no matter how pointless and ultimately crap it is.

So there you go.... I wasted my time, you all wasted your time, but it was fun while it lasted - wasn't it?

I didn't see that coming.

Oh wait, I did.

Xabora

Xater said:
WTH?

BTW is that background from Oblivion too? The crate and sack look familiar.
Blue Glow from the Window which is a highly common effect in Oblivion.
Same with the sacks of wheat everywhere.

Top Bottom